I would think it does-especially in a case like this GM-a guy who is still a kid who a lot of people thought was one of the best guys coming out of college 4 years ago-yea I say yea he would be looked at a little closer-this guy doesn't have a lot of wear and tear football body-wise ya know?

The thing I like about this and the other guy we signed (whatever his name was) is that the braintrust is thinking outside the box-looking for diamonds in the dirt ya know?

In baseball you see all teams sign nonroster players hoping to find a gem- sort of what you have to try in football- if one works out you are ahead of the game.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jets signed DE Michael Haynes. The former Bears first-round pick has the size to play end in a 3-4, but bounced around the league last season. He'll battle to make the team.

When did I ever say we shouldnt, please show me that post... becuase I can show you where I approved of it... My point which obviously flew right over your head is that his draft position mea

http://football.calsci.com/

In baseball you see all teams sign nonroster players hoping to find a gem- sort of what you have to try in football- if one works out you are ahead of the game.

Seriously there is nothing not to like about this.

faba who is that guy that we signed a month ago that Max got the scoop on?

faba who is that guy that we signed a month ago that Max got the scoop on?

I dont think we or Tampa Bay wound up signing him...

I dont think this is a bad move, just trying to get it into MadMikes head that him being a 1st round pick has nothing to do with why they signed him... years after the draft it doesnt matter anymore... 6th round picks have led their team to multiple titles and 1st round picks have failed... they obviously brought him in based on something other than his draft position so stop using it to prove your point...

I dont think we or Tampa Bay wound up signing him...

I dont think this is a bad move, just trying to get it into MadMikes head that him being a 1st round pick has nothing to do with why they signed him... years after the draft it doesnt matter anymore... 6th round picks have led their team to multiple titles and 1st round picks have failed... they obviously brought him in based on something other than his draft position so stop using it to prove your point...

Your argument stinks. Because one guy was a bust that means you shouldn't take any more low risk high reward chances?
Your argument stinks. Because one guy was a bust that means you shouldn't take any more low risk high reward chances?

When did I ever say we shouldnt, please show me that post... becuase I can show you where I approved of it... :roll:

My point which obviously flew right over your head is that his draft position means squat at this point in his career, I highly doubt our FO took it into account whatsoever... he obviously hasnt lived up to his hype, hopefully Mangini can work some magic but you are getting too excited over a guy who most likely will be figthing for a spot on the team, and your using bad logic to do it.

• Upvote 1
Seriously there is nothing not to like about this.

..but signing a qb that has started games in the NFL and was drafted in the 2nd round for a one year deal at or near the minimum is reason to blow a gasket?

also, would people stop saying "he doesn't have any wear and tear on his body?" These guys don't have wear and tear because they suck. Maybe they have some ability, but if they could play they would. Ryan Leaf doesn't have much wear and tear. Saving themselves so they can play in their 30s doesn't interest me. The only guys you have to worry about wear and tear are guys being overused like Larry Johnson.

• Upvote 1
..but signing a qb that has started games in the NFL and was drafted in the 2nd round for a one year deal at or near the minimum is reason to blow a gasket?

also, would people stop saying "he doesn't have any wear and tear on his body?" These guys don't have wear and tear because they suck. Maybe they have some ability, but if they could play they would. Ryan Leaf doesn't have much wear and tear. Saving themselves so they can play in their 30s doesn't interest me. The only guys you have to worry about wear and tear are guys being overused like Larry Johnson.

Did you see the Jet-Raider game in 05? I DARE you to see a QB play a more putrid game. The guy is AWFUL.

• Thumb Down 1
Did you see the Jet-Raider game in 05? I DARE you to see a QB play a more putrid game. The guy is AWFUL.

Yes, and one game for an awful team that is unprepared and in complete disarray means everything. Did you see the Jets Titans opener in '06? Nugent is the worst kicker in NFL history. Tuiasasopo is 3rd string, the guy doesn't have to be great or even good. There is a big difference between what he was asked to do by the Raiders and what the Jets will ask of him. I've got 1,000 vcash says he is with the team opening day.

Michael Haynes was a pretty good receiver for the Falcons in the early 90's. I thought we had signed our 3rd receiver when I saw the thread. Ha!

Haynes was a good player at Penn St. though...Decent signing.

I never heard of him, how big is this guy ?

6-4, 283

perfect size for a 3-4 de. i wanted us to pick him up last year, im glad we did now. he should do good in a rotation of ends in a 3-4 and maybe a few times here and there at dt in the 4-3.

[Quote:

Haynes is strong, explosive and fairly athletic. He has better quickness than natural speed. He has excellent upper-body strength and can hold his own at the point of attack. He can be very effective against the run. He has a good initial pop off the ball and rarely is overpowered. He has a nice burst and uses his hands well to control blockers. Haynes has good short-area change-of-direction skills and lateral movement, but he is a straight-line bull rusher. He lacks speed and a variety of pass-rush moves. He is a virtually non-factor as an edge rusher. He has limited range and won't make many plays away from him. He is inconsistent, though his effort usually is good. His production doesn't live up to his skills. He plays too high at times and gets pushed around, nullifying his strength and power. His recognition skills are questionable. He sometimes appears lost. Haynes could benefit from a move inside, where his quickness would translate better to the pass rush.

I like this move alot. he's young, big and has been in 4-3's all his life. This is a guy with some upside.

Agreed. He could buy into the camp mangini thang and get his motor going. If he does, he has upside. He'll be 27 when the season gets underway.

But they brought in a collection of DLs last year, some got injured and others didnt pan out. Maybe they will hit on one sooner or larer.

[Quote:

Haynes is strong, explosive and fairly athletic. He has better quickness than natural speed. He has excellent upper-body strength and can hold his own at the point of attack. He can be very effective against the run. He has a good initial pop off the ball and rarely is overpowered. He has a nice burst and uses his hands well to control blockers. Haynes has good short-area change-of-direction skills and lateral movement, but he is a straight-line bull rusher. He lacks speed and a variety of pass-rush moves. He is a virtually non-factor as an edge rusher. He has limited range and won't make many plays away from him. He is inconsistent, though his effort usually is good. His production doesn't live up to his skills. He plays too high at times and gets pushed around, nullifying his strength and power. His recognition skills are questionable. He sometimes appears lost. Haynes could benefit from a move inside, where his quickness would translate better to the pass rush.

This quote has virtually every sentence I've ever read about a DL. Its hard to tell if its positive or not. Does he play "too high at times" or can he "hold his own at the point of attack?"

I think Haynes was one of the two players the Bears picked (Rex Grossman was the other) with the two picks they obtained from us in the trade up to draft DRob. I think Haynes was the higher of the two picks. A big sturdy defensive end (6'3" 280 lbs range) from Penn State who had similar problems as Sean Ellis did early in his career in the 4-3. Too small for the DT position and not quick enough for the defensive end position. Much like Ellis, I think Haynes is a perfect fit in the 3-4 at defensive end.

I think Haynes was one of the two players the Bears picked (Rex Grossman was the other) with the two picks they obtained from us in the trade up to draft DRob. I think Haynes was the higher of the two picks. A big sturdy defensive end (6'3" 280 lbs range) from Penn State who had similar problems as Sean Ellis did early in his career in the 4-3. Too small for the DT position and not quick enough for the defensive end position. Much like Ellis, I think Haynes is a perfect fit in the 3-4 at defensive end.

So with Haynes on the team now I guess it only cost us a 4th rounder to move up from 22 to 4th overall and grab DRob. Excellent.;)