Tom Brady signs a new contract

Blackout

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why just 6 years?

Brady got hosed

Two things

1) Brady is signing a below market contract. He knows this. It seems the team first mentality is way more than just lip service for him at least.

2) Given that he'd probably prefer a 6 year deal to a 7 year deal so that he has a better chance to get one more big one after this.

Several posters on the Pats board are saying ESPN is now reporting it's 6 years 60 million!!!!

If that's true holy **** is this a bargain!

Thats what I heard

6 yrs, 60 mill

effin patriots are such cheepskates! Brady is foolish to take anything less than what michael vick recieved.

We're paying out less money for 6 years of Brady than you are for 7 years of Chad Pennington.

On a per year basis we're paying less than 1 mil more per year for Brady than you are for Pennington.

Oh hell yes.

EB, the Pats organization is NOT cheapkskate--- but they are no nonsense, and they are efficient.

One draft prospect got run out of Foxboro when he complained that they flew him in on coach--- the Pats don't want prima donnas, and they're not going to try to sugarcoat things to woo prospective players and bring them in for the wrong reasons.

On the other hand guys like Corey Dillon and Monty Beisel have talked about how amazed they are at the opelence of the locker room, at having plenty of team masseuses, top notch food for the offseason workout program, etc.

The Pats don't cut corners. They're stinting on contracts because they fully understand that in the nfl, every dollar you spend on one player is a dollar you can't spend somewhere else.

save the crap :roll:

Kraft is a cheapskate

6 yrs 60 mill for a 27 yr old QB who has won you 3 super bowls

Great for the pats, but that is such a low ball offer it's not even funny!

Jets paid Pennington that contract on what he's GOING to do, not what he did. I believe in Chad, he'll bring us the super bowl! :)

According to documents obtained by ESPN.com, the contract includes a $14.5 million signing bonus and a $12 million option bonus that is due next spring. The base salaries are $1 million (for 2005), $4 million ('06), $6 million ('07), $5 million ('08), $2.3 million ('09) and $3.5 million ('10). There are roster bonuses of $3 million each in the final three years of the contract.

By my math, including remaining SB from current contract,

2005--- 7.939 mil

2006--- 9.339 mil

2007--- 10.816 mil

2008--- 12.816 mil

2009--- 10.116 mil

2010--- 11.316 mil

That is AWESOME.

My math btw is definitely wrong to a degree, ans assumes they amortize the option bonus, but does provide some indication of how the contract is structured.

save the crap :roll:

Kraft is a cheapskate

6 yrs 60 mill for a 27 yr old QB who has won you 3 super bowls

Great for the pats, but that is such a low ball offer it's not even funny!

Jets paid Pennington that contract on what he's GOING to do, not what he did. I believe in Chad, he'll bring us the super bowl! :)

Well evidentally Brady didn't think he was a cheapskate or he wouldn't have signed the contract.

:shock:

Paying guys on what you hope they might do for you.

Nice way to run a team.

Didn't you do that with Cory Dillon? Paid him in "hopes" of what he would do for your running game?

Same concept.

Donnie, your out of your element.

Didn't you do that with Cory Dillon? Paid him in "hopes" of what he would do for your running game?

Same concept.

Well actually Dillon has proven himself over and over again during the course of his career so yeah, that's like a night and day comparison.

Well actually Dillon has proven himself over and over again during the course of his career so yeah, that's like a night and day comparison.

Dillon proved that he was a little b*tch. He was always a whiner/complainer....the Pats took him with "hopes" he would help the running game...i'm sure there was some doubt when they signed him...

Same concept.

No, we didn't. You're WAY out of your element.

1) He had an extremely long track record of success and durability.

2) We renegotiated his contract, sharply lowering his salary and replacing it with performance based incentives.

Either alone would prove you wrong, both combined mean that the Pats did the EXACT opposite.

Dillon proved that he was a little b*tch. He was always a whiner/complainer....the Pats took him with "hopes" he would help the running game...i'm sure there was some doubt when they signed him...

There are question marks with any signing.

Dillon had a remarkable record of success and durability. Since he was coming off an injury and had character questions though, the Pats made sure they signed him to a HEAVILY INCENTIVE BASED contract.

Pennington has a remarkable record of 14 good games in 2002. Yet the Jets handed him a larger contract than the one Brady just got.

Well, I don't care what Dillon did or said, all he did on the field was rush for well over 1000 yds. in all but one of his seasons.

Aren't 90% of all NFL players drafted and signed to lucrative deals based on what the teams HOPE they can do?

It goes for any player. You signed Drew Bledsoe awhile back in hopes of what he could do, didn't you? He never proved himself in the NFL, but yet you gave him big $$$ at the time.

Aren't 90% of all NFL players drafted and signed to lucrative deals based on what the teams HOPE they can do?

It goes for any player. You signed Drew Bledsoe awhile back in hopes of what he could do, didn't you? He never proved himself in the NFL, but yet you gave him big $$$ at the time.

:shock:

You do it with draft picks, sure.

But with veteran starting quarterbacks you usually sign them more based on what they ARE....

Hell, just compare Pennington's money to Delhomme's and Brady's and try and keep talking...

Hmmmmm.......

Delhomme--Age: 30

CAREER

Games: 38

Games Started: 33

Completion %: 58.6

Yds: 7739

TDs: 51

INTs: 36

Rating: 83

Pennington--Age: 28

Games: 42

Games Started: 34

Completion %: 65.8

Yds: 8091

TDs: 53

Ints: 27

Rating: 93.7

Brady--Age: 27

Games: 64

Games Started: 62

Completion %: 62.6

Yds: 13925

TDs: 97

Ints: 52

Rating: 87.4

Hmmmmmm...what? Brady and Delhomme have been to 4 combined Super Bowls. Pennington had one good season and other than that has either been injured or average. Oh right, you must be looking at Pennington's stellar QB rating and completion percentage. Two very valuable stats when it comes to winning games.

Hmmmmmm...what? Brady and Delhomme have been to 4 combined Super Bowls. Pennington had one good season and other than that has either been injured or average. Oh right, you must be looking at Pennington's stellar QB rating and completion percentage. Two very valuable stats when it comes to winning games.

A point I've been making about Martin for years!

Stats don't win anything if you can't produce

among the Best!! Chad may be able to if he stays

Healthy for 16 games..Make that 19 games! :lol:

Don't give me "4 combined SB's"..Delhomme has been to one (he LOST)

You put Delhomme up there w/Brady and Penny..saying Penny isn't worth more than him..thats just stupid...Delhomme only had 1 good year...but yet he's good??

You can't say Penny isn't worth it for only having 1 good year, but then Delhomme is?

IMO, Penny has been a machine 2/3 years that he's been the starter. I'm sure some JETS fans here would agree with me on that.

IMO, Penny has been a machine 2/3 years that he's been the starter. I'm sure some JETS fans here would agree with me on that.

Maybe some but certainly not all. IMO, Pennington and Delhomme combined aren't worth an ounce of Brady's ball sweat and shouldn't even have comparable salaries.

Maybe some but certainly not all. IMO, Pennington and Delhomme combined aren't worth an ounce of Brady's ball sweat and shouldn't even have comparable salaries.

Brady's salary shows his character. That is who he is. I'm sure if he wanted more $$$, he could have went somewhere else.

Patriots | Brady Contract Breakdown - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 7 May 2005 13:27:18 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports New England Patriots QB Tom Brady has landed a six-year deal worth nearly $60 million. It replaces the final two years Brady had remaining on his former deal. The deal includes a $14.5 million signing bonus and a $12 million option bonus due next spring. His base salaries are $1 million (2005), $4 million (2006), $6 million (2007), $5 million (2008), $2.3 million (2009) and $3.5 million (2010). There are also roster bonuses of $3 million in each of the final three years of the deal. His salary cap hit is $8.429 million for 2005, but his cap number for 2006 jumps to $14.423 million so his contract may have to be revisited as early as next year. Brady also received guarantees in his deal during 2007 and 2008.

What exactly did he complain about?

Money? No. He received a nice contract from the Bungles.

Winning? Yes. He only complained when he got injury as the Bengals were 0-3.

Last year is a clear indication that Dillon could already be well over 10K yards, if he played on a good team. Last year was only the 4th of 4 years he went over 300 carries, by comparison Curtis has been under 300 carries twice, but one of those he missed 3 games.

The Brady signing shows he practices what he preaches. He took less money so he could keep a good team around him. This helps immeasurably as Brady's teammates sees he is willing to take less money, he deservces more then Peyton, hopefully, Seymour will do the same when his time comes. Strike it rich beyond belief but not so much the depth is effected.

not at all, i feel the pats underpayed, i hate the ugly pats :x

Brady is going to pocket 26 million over the next tweleve months, he is not getting fleeced.

Whether Penny is worth the money he got not withstanding, it is a nice contract unlike Peyton, McNabb and Vick.

Mostly, I don't care what the Pats do, especially with a player already on their team. It's not like they're adding anyone. They resigned the player they needed to, with a bit of a hometown discount. I say good on you, mate. It didn't cripple your team, unlike how McNabb, Vick, or the almighty Peyton did to their teams. I'd add Daunte Caulpepper to that too, but the Vikings owner is such a cheapskate, even with the money he's spent this year, he's still close to ten million under the cap.

Archived