Tom Brady signs a new contract

Blackout

Oh look, isn't this cute. Max trying to up the post count at JetNation.....and the suckers fall for it. [-X

=D>=D>=D>

The stuff about Weis is heart felt though. That man is a genius. I have loads of respect for him. He worked his way up and became the best in the business.

Romeo will fail in Cleveland. He will be the Pats DL coach in another 3 seasons.

But Charlie made it happen. They will spend all season trying to replace him.

Pats = 9 and 7. Fall short of the playoffs.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We shall see if Weiss was the catalyst for the offense. So many Pats fans disliked Weiss - not me -however, some of his play calling made you scratch your head. The thing that most of you miss is that if it weren't for Brady, the play calling would not have been so creative. It takes a certain QB to pull a lot of that stuff off. A QB with a quick release, a certain pocket awareness and certain cool.

There is no way to deny this, this is a great deal for the Patsies, and Brady is impressive in his lack of greed and realizing that the team needs to pay for other players besides himself.

I guess he figures if football doesn't continue to work out he has his singing to fall back on.

There is no way to deny this, this is a great deal for the Patsies, and Brady is impressive in his lack of greed and realizing that the team needs to pay for other players besides himself.

Just curious folks, what kind of "home town discount" did PennyBoy give the Jets with regards to his whopping $64 million dollar contract.

BTW, if the Jets invested that $64 mil in Enron stock, they would have gotten a better return than what PennyBoy will give them.

Just curious folks, what kind of "home town discount" did PennyBoy give the Jets with regards to his whopping $64 million dollar contract.

BTW, if the Jets invested that $64 mil in Enron stock, they would have gotten a better return than what PennyBoy will give them.

Tex, you sound kind of shrill today. Did Shasta forget to use lubricant?

Pennington already gave back for Coles...as soon as he is healthy your run is over.

Pennington already gave back for Coles...as soon as he is healthy your run is over.

Exactly what did PennyBoy "give back for Coles"?

I hope you are not referring to his lip service (because he knew it was illegal) about giving back some contract money.

Nice PR ploy, but he gave nothing back.

Now, now Tx. There are some similarities between Penny and Brady.

1) They are both in their twenties

2) They both love their Momma

3) They both play football

BINGO! :shock:

Thanks for justifying PennyBoy's $64 mil contract Garb.

BTW, I though the censorship thingy had to do with "Bingo" and not "are".

Arewas for emphasis. Bingo is Max's idea of being funny. Put it this way - Max's funny bone is a lot like Penny's noodle arm.

Arewas for emphasis. Bingo is Max's idea of being funny. Put it this way - Max's funny bone is a lot like Penny's noodle arm.

Thought you guys might enjoy an article by the biggest Patriots basher in America, Peter King:

Another Patriots victory

So Tom Brady kept his word. He wasn't a pig at the trough during contract extension negotiations with the Patriots. He could have been, given he has won three Super Bowls by age 27. We all know Brady could have asked for anything and won the public relations battle with the team. Peyton Manning's making $14.2 million a year, with the Colts, and he signed that deal a year ago, Brady could have said. You guys are high if you think I'm doing a deal for $10 million a year -- especially after ESPN just raised the ante ridiculously with the new broadcast contract.

But Tom Brady gets it. He knows there have been only so many sporting Camelots in recent history, and he's smack-dab in the middle of one of them. Five days after this most recent Super Bowl triumph, Brady was vegging out in Honolulu on the deck outside his hotel room, talking on the phone about what he wanted from the contract extension destined to get done this offseason.

"To be the highest-paid, or anything like that, is not going to make me feel any better,'' he told me. "That's not what makes me happy. In this game, the more one player gets, the more he takes away from what others can get. Is it going to make me feel any better to make an extra million, which, after taxes, is about $500,000? That million might be more important to the team.''

Read those words over again. I mean, how many guys in sports history, on the verge of signing the biggest contract they'll probably ever negotiate, have said to the team: "Hey Mr. Kraft! I really don't want that much money. Just be somewhat fair, OK? And have a nice day ..."?

The mark of Brady's self-assuredness and humility about his place in the football galaxy is that when he signed his six-year, $60 million contract in the middle of last week, I'm told he didn't even go out and celebrate. Neither he, his family nor his representative leaked the contract; I'm also told Brady's dad found out about the deal from a reporter.

The deal is about $4 million a year less than Manning's, $3 million a year less than Mike Vick's, who's really going to have to go out and perform for that deal to pay off for Atlanta. Give or take a few BMWs, Brady's contract averages out to about what Donovan McNabb and Chad Pennington make.

Let's see how, year to year, Brady's new contract compares to Peyton Manning's deal. I contrast these deals because Brady and Manning are the best two quarterbacks in football, in some order.

Season Manning's cap number Brady's cap number

2005 $8.43 million $3.417 million

2006 $10.05 million $8.817 million

2007 $7.69 million $10.817 million

2008 $18.19 million $12.817 million

2009 $20.69 million $12.817 million

2010 $19.95 million $11.317 milion

Let's assume each guy plays out his contract. (A bad assumption, particularly in Manning's case, because the Colts won't want to pay 18 percent of their cap total during the last three years of Manning's deal to one player.) But if you assume each player stays with the team until the end of the deal, Brady's contract is so much more team-friendly, obviously. He'll take up -- and I'm educated-guessing here -- the following percentages of the Patriots' cap over the next six years (keep in mind the cap will bump up significantly with the new network deal beginning next season): four percent, eight percent, 11 percent, 12 percent, 11 percent, 9.5 percent.

Which means the Patriots won't ever be able to say that in Brady's prime he took up too much salary space for the team to pay Richard Seymour and Deion Branch ... and, in the future, maybe Ben Watson and Dan Koppen and The New Running Back of 2009 and Eugene Wilson and whoever else surfaces that the team really needs.

What I really like about this, too, is it says to the rest of the players that the two big leaders have sacrificed personal gain for the team. Tedy Bruschi, whether he ever plays football again or not (and I still have no idea if he will), showed it last year by signing a four-year, $8.1 million contract with the Patriots while he had a deal twice that big on the horizon if he had put his foot down or chosen the free-agency path.

Now Brady. The Pats said no over the last couple of years to big money for Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy and to lesser money for Troy Brown and Joe Andruzzi, so they're able to distinguish between what they really need and what they think, based on experience, they can do without.

I'm not saying Seymour, who clearly is next in the financial line, should take 60 percent of his worth. But I am saying he should look at the landscape and think about whether one more Super Bowl win might cement his Hall of Fame bust someday and make him a lifetime legend in a rabid six-state region ... and he should consider that, like Bruschi and Brady, he shouldn't try to gouge the Patriots for every last dime.

This team has shown it will spend to stay great by adding good middle-class contributors such as the guy they'll sign today or tomorrow: free-agent linebacker Chad Brown. He's not the assassin he used to be, of course. But Brown, who'll likely get $4 million for two years, will be the new Roman Phifer, the 30-snap-a-game guy who can play inside or outside and make sure the possible loss of Bruschi would hurt a little bit less.

The Patriots have $4 million for a Chad Brown, and they may have $1.5 million left to sign the top player cut in the June market, because Bruschi and Brady see the big picture. I know it's absurd to think of the Patriots winning yet another Super Bowl next season, but I'll tell you this: They just had one hell of a week.

To quote gg, "OY".

How are Brady and PennyBoy "similar" QB's?

This should be real good. :shock:

They are similar because neither has won a playoff game when Charlie Weis wasn't the OC.

Garb,

You are starting to drive me CRAZY with the underline thing. What the hell are you even talking about?

Is this a lame joke?

I don't see any underline around BINGO. The mods can't do it. It would only be me. And believe me if I wanted to be funny I would just post your PMs and not underline your words.

That would give the masses much more to laugh at! :mrgreen:

Hey Patsitics...Flowtrain exposes this contract at JI, and correctly points out that Brady has already restructured, making his cap nimbers much higher. I forgot about the restructures.

Brady has restructured his contract in both 2003 and 2004.

At least in the last case, the Patriots guranteed his base salary and were able to prorate it over the remaining years of the contract.

Once again, Garb is correct.

You really have lost your sense of humor since you started JetNation.

Wow, that was unbelievably weak. #-o

Bro I was the one who announced that I was no longer funny. This is not exactly newsworthy at this point.

Someday when you get a job you will learn about stress as well.

You're full a cow manure.

BINGO!

The only thing I PM'd you was a Pancake Joke - I know how much you love pancakes.

BINGO!

I feel like I have a mild case of Turrettes

BINGO!

:lol:

You are going to get called into the principals office. The principal does read this stuff you know.

You better bring an excuse note. Or there will be hell to pay.

Archived