Jets Attending Villanova pro day

gustoonarmy

Mar 23 KFFL has learned the New York Jets will attend the Villanova Pro Day Friday, March 23, to scout NFL Draft prospect QB Marvin Burroughs (Villanova).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyj/notes

Marvin Burroughs

562474.jpeg

Class:

Senior

Hometown:

Atlantic City, N.J.

High School:

Atlantic City

Height / Weight:

6-1 / 215

Position:

QB

Birthdate:

10/07/1983

Villanova: Co-Captain; Will be the leader of the Villanova offensive unit; One of the top playmakers in the Atlantic 10 Conference; Possesses a strong, accurate throwing arm; Good runner with outstanding escape ability.

2005: Completed 16-of-22 for 150 yards and one touchdown to go with six rushes for 20 yards in season opener at Rutgers before suffering a season-ending arm injury early in the third quarter.

2004: Started all 11 games and completed 209-of-334 (62.6%) for 2,486 yards to go with 20 touchdowns and 12 interceptions; Completed 17-of-24 for 142 yards to go with one touchdown and one interception in season opener versus Bucknell; Went 13-of-23 for 100 yards to go with one touchdown and two interceptions at Lehigh; Was 4-of-11 for 40 yards against James Madison; Completed 15-of-26 for 166 yards at Pennsylvania; Went 32-of-58 for 382 yards to go with three touchdowns and one interception versus New Hampshire; Completed 31 passes in 41 attempts for 350 yards and tallied two touchdowns and an interception at Northeastern; Completed 18-of-23 for 260 yards and five touchdowns versus Richmond. For his efforts versus Richmond, he was named Atlantic 10 Offensive Player of the Week; Completed 18-of-28 for 232 yards and two scores against Towson; Threw for 210 yards and two touchdowns while completing 13-of-21 at Rhode Island; Completed 25-of-39 for 270 yards to go with three touchdowns and one interception at William & Mary; Completed 23-of-40 for 334 yards to go with one touchdown and three interceptions at Delaware.

2003: Played in six games, starting two, and completed 52-of-84 (61.9%) for 625 yards to go with six touchdowns and two interceptions; Completed 4-of-10 for 33 yards versus Hampton; Was 1-of-2 for 22 yards to go with one rush for eight yards at New Hampshire; Completed 2-of-3 for 36 yards and had three carries for six yards versus James Madison; Went 11-of-20 for 146 yards and one interception when he came off the bench in place of the injured Joe Casamento versus UMass; Earned Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week distinction when he completed 15-of-19 for 245 yards to go with five touchdowns and one interception in his first collegiate start at Richmond; Completed 19-of-30 for 143 yards and a touchdown at Hofstra.

2002: Redshirted.

Atlantic City High School: Earned three varsity letters in football for head coach Bob Weiss, as well as two letters in basketball and one in track & field; Received first team All-Conference honors in 2000 and 2001; Named to the All-South Jersey first team in both 2000 and 2001; A two-time first team All-Group performer; Earned second team All-State accolades in 2000 and 2001; Two-time Conference Player of the Year; Amassed 1,696 yards passing and 16 touchdowns as a senior; A member of the National Honor Society.

Personal: Human Services major; Oldest of two sons of Marvin and Jodi Burroughs; Born 10/7/83 in Atlantic City, N.J.

http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-f..._marvin00.html

we really should have DPOTW noms

Really. They sign one guy for the league minimum, who they hope to never use, as a backup plan for QB3 so they don't have to reach in the draft to fill a roster spot for a player that shouldn't see the field. They have so much confidence in this player that not 1 week later they're scouting someone to compete with him. And the first (and so far, ONLY) guy they have planned to scout right afterwards is black. But since Chad is on the team & they drafted Clemens, that means the Jets won't "let" a black man play QB. About as dumb as saying the Jets won't "let" a white guy play HB.

Really. They sign one guy for the league minimum, who they hope to never use, as a backup plan for QB3 so they don't have to reach in the draft to fill a roster spot for a player that shouldn't see the field. They have so much confidence in this player that not 1 week later they're scouting someone to compete with him. And the first (and so far, ONLY) guy they have planned to scout right afterwards is black. But since Chad is on the team & they drafted Clemens, that means the Jets won't "let" a black man play QB. About as dumb as saying the Jets won't "let" a white guy play HB.

Oh, stop being Naive, the NFL has a knack for changing black QBs positions.. Unless that QB was dominant in college, he won't play QB in the NFL. Meanwhile sorry white QBs get a shot in the NFL.. (see Ken Dorsey)

Oh, stop being Naive, the NFL has a knack for changing black QBs positions.. Unless that QB was dominant in college, he won't play QB in the NFL. Meanwhile sorry white QBs get a shot in the NFL.. (see Ken Dorsey)

So Mangini, Tannenbaum, and the Jets organization are part of a great league-wide conspiracy to only have white QB's? And this is why the Jets are meeting with Burroughs, who barely even played last year (let alone dominated) for that powerhouse Villanova. You show me Ken Dorsey & I show you Kordell Stewart. And Chet Lemon. And a number of scrubs who just suck no matter what color they are. And what position did Scott Frost play in college? Was his team any good while he was the QB? Did he get a shot at QB in the NFL? How about Drew Bennett? Who gave him a shot at QB?

Is there also a league-wide conspiracy to only promote white HB's? When was the last time you saw one drafted? Yet year after year teams like the Jets give scrubs like Kevan Barlow and Derrick Blalock and Cedric Houston a shot. Meanwhile they never even try to acquire a white HB. They are racist.

Do you now see how stupid this is?

you can name about 5 white QBs who had their position changed, but I can name 20 black QBs who had the same happen easily. I can name 7 in the last 2 draft classes only..

And? They were probably changed because they weren't very good QB's and could help the team at another position. Do you really think NFL teams give two sh!ts about the race of a player? Their only concern is winning games and if switching a player's position will help them win games, then they will do it.

you can name about 5 white QBs who had their position changed, but I can name 20 black QBs who had the same happen easily. I can name 7 in the last 2 draft classes only..

What you are grasping at (poorly I might add) is that the NFL doesn't want OPTION quarterbacks, not black QB's. Most franchises want QB's who can be pocket passers, even if they can also make plays with their feet. QB's who don't tuck and run when the first read is covered. All other things being equal, you'd rather have a fast QB than a slow one. But all things are rarely equal. They want a passer first. If he can make plays with his legs, that's a bonus. Few want a QB with a * after it that means they're really HB's/WR's who can throw far.

Or should Hines Ward have been a 3rd-rate NFL QB instead of a pro-bowl NFL WR?

Matt Jones was a QB in college. But he was both huge at 6'6 & lightning-fast with sub-4.4 speed. So it was determined (by just about everyone) that in the NFL his skills are better-suited for WR than QB. Has nothing to do with his skin color. That option crap doesn't consistently win games in the NFL any more than the fun 'n' gun.

It's all because of inherent racism; simple, right? Well, complex things often seem simple to the simple-minded. The reality is that if the NCAA was identical to the NFL, most of these kids wouldn't have been QB's at that level either. You are the one who is naive.

What you are grasping at (poorly I might add) is that the NFL doesn't want OPTION quarterbacks, not black QB's. Most franchises want QB's who can be pocket passers, even if they can also make plays with their feet. QB's who don't tuck and run when the first read is covered. All other things being equal, you'd rather have a fast QB than a slow one. But all things are rarely equal. They want a passer first. If he can make plays with his legs, that's a bonus. Few want a QB with a * after it that means they're really HB's/WR's who can throw far.

Or should Hines Ward have been a 3rd-rate NFL QB instead of a pro-bowl NFL WR?

Matt Jones was a QB in college. But he was both huge at 6'6 & lightning-fast with sub-4.4 speed. So it was determined (by just about everyone) that in the NFL his skills are better-suited for WR than QB. Has nothing to do with his skin color. That option crap doesn't consistently win games in the NFL any more than the fun 'n' gun.

It's all because of inherent racism; simple, right? Well, complex things often seem simple to the simple-minded. The reality is that if the NCAA was identical to the NFL, most of these kids wouldn't have been QB's at that level either. You are the one who is naive.

okay, whatever you say

So Mangini, Tannenbaum, and the Jets organization are part of a great league-wide conspiracy to only have white QB's? And this is why the Jets are meeting with Burroughs, who barely even played last year (let alone dominated) for that powerhouse Villanova. You show me Ken Dorsey & I show you Kordell Stewart. And Chet Lemon. And a number of scrubs who just suck no matter what color they are. And what position did Scott Frost play in college? Was his team any good while he was the QB? Did he get a shot at QB in the NFL? How about Drew Bennett? Who gave him a shot at QB?

Is there also a league-wide conspiracy to only promote white HB's? When was the last time you saw one drafted? Yet year after year teams like the Jets give scrubs like Kevan Barlow and Derrick Blalock and Cedric Houston a shot. Meanwhile they never even try to acquire a white HB. They are racist.

Do you now see how stupid this is?

Don't forget Eric Crouch..Heisman trophy winning Q..err I mean WR.

I will try and comment on both. First, us going to see this kid workout is most likely for the later rounds or maybe even as a fa after the draft and will most likely be used on special teams or as a wr. If anyone had a chance of playing QB, that the Jets drafted in the late rounds it would have been Brad Smith. He was a great college QB that has a heck of a arm, mobile, athletic, just on the short side. I still think Brad Smith could at the very least be a decent back-up in this league. As far as the racist remark by shadow, I just feel like racism will never die because the majority of african american people won't let it. Was it wrong to have slaves, of course everyone knows that. But, really lets move on. For one, most angelo's could care less what color you are. Notice I said most. You still have your pockets of racisim. And for two, check your history books if you don't believe me, most of the slaves that were brought here from Africa were bought from other Africans who had captured rival tribes and made them selves themselves. Slavery was learned from Africans. Europeans have always had serfs and lower class of white people, but they were never truly slaves.

I will try and comment on both. First, us going to see this kid workout is most likely for the later rounds or maybe even as a fa after the draft and will most likely be used on special teams or as a wr. If anyone had a chance of playing QB, that the Jets drafted in the late rounds it would have been Brad Smith. He was a great college QB that has a heck of a arm, mobile, athletic, just on the short side. I still think Brad Smith could at the very least be a decent back-up in this league. As far as the racist remark by shadow, I just feel like racism will never die because the majority of african american people won't let it. Was it wrong to have slaves, of course everyone knows that. But, really lets move on. For one, most angelo's could care less what color you are. Notice I said most. You still have your pockets of racisim. And for two, check your history books if you don't believe me, most of the slaves that were brought here from Africa were bought from other Africans who had captured rival tribes and made them selves themselves. Slavery was learned from Africans. Europeans have always had serfs and lower class of white people, but they were never truly slaves.

I said nothing of slavery, I just said that NFL scouts/managers get a case of the "vick's" when they see black QBs, you just went WAAAYYYY off topic

your the one being naive they have changed white QB's into WR or other positions too

R44: what about the QB: BURROUGHS? I have read some boards that said he was being looked at by the JETS.

It's possible that the Jets are looking at Marvin, Kentucky -- in the same way they signed Kevin Eakin from Fordham. But let's be honest here: He's "listed" as being 6' 1" (short by NFL standards) and he threw a total of 9 TD's and 9 Int's as a senior -- not eye popping stats for NFL teams. ESPN has him timed at 4.74 in the 40 and he was never a running threat in college, so Burroughs can only wish he can make Brad Smith type money in the N.F.L. as a WR or safety. He's may not be athletic enough.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=138957

If someone really wants to know who the better small school quarterbacks are -- that happen to be black. You'd be talking Aries Nelson, a former highly regarded recruit from Miss State that played for Miss Valley State the last few seasons and Princeton Sheppard of Hampton. Nelson has a better chance to be drafted.....University of San Diego junior Josh Johnson is a draftable prospect down the line.

Actually, the fastest QB so far (no surprise to me at all to me) is Boise State's Jared Zabransky, who is already working overtime to tell NFL teams he won't leave the quarterback position to play RB, WR or safety.....He's likes to compare his playing style to a young Jeff Garcia, but a young Jeff Garcia had no N.F.L. options coming out of college and was forced to go the C.F.L. for a few seasons.

uhh, another brad smith? i guess he could be talented, but did he play last year? so, if the jets signed him after the draft, would there be a rival cult to the Clemenites?

If the Jets bring this kid on board, I'm getting the jersey! Villanova football was crap this year. Absolute crap. Burroughs won games on his own half the time.

Definitely better than tuiosopo or whatever his name is

What you are grasping at (poorly I might add) is that the NFL doesn't want OPTION quarterbacks, not black QB's

Back on topic: Villanova doesn't run the option. Problem solved...

I'll try, for the sake of my longtime friend Max, to get this post back on topic (although I doubt it will work).

I think the two players NFL teams will keep the closest eye on at Nova are:

http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bacchus_allyn00.html

http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gaddis_christian00.html

Both are longshots to be drafted.

Bacchus might just make it on an NFL team... Gaddis... I don't know.

I will try and comment on both. First, us going to see this kid workout is most likely for the later rounds or maybe even as a fa after the draft and will most likely be used on special teams or as a wr. If anyone had a chance of playing QB, that the Jets drafted in the late rounds it would have been Brad Smith. He was a great college QB that has a heck of a arm, mobile, athletic, just on the short side. I still think Brad Smith could at the very least be a decent back-up in this league.

Burroughs is an absolutely electric player. Don't pay much attention to his passing stats this past season, he didn't have much in the way of receivers (JJ Outlaw and Mo Gibson were his best weapons and both graduated in '06), it was a very young team. Ask anyone at W&M how dangerous he can be, however...

Burroughs is a shifty runner, but I'm not sure he's really fast enough to play in the league as a WR...

He is a work in progress and a potential career backup, but he is a QB, and will remain one, I am sure.

Wildcat senior captain talks about his career and other topics

Nov. 16, 2006

VILLANOVA, Pa. - Villanova senior quarterback Marvin Burroughs has two games left in his Villanova career. Burroughs, who after nine games has completed 141-of-237 for 1,727 yards and nine touchdowns, sat down with Villanova Media Relations Assistant Nathan Wiechers for a question and answer session.

Q: Over the final two games, what are the team's goals or what are you guys trying to accomplish?

A: Starting off the season 0-3 was a disappointment so we are just trying to get Villanova back to where it needs to be, a prestigious program on the 1-AA level. Our goal is to keep showing improvement to the end of the year.

Q: What are you most proud of during your time at Villanova?

A: I think what everybody is the most proud of is their legacy. I am looking forward to making a name for myself and leaving it behind. All you can do is try your best everyday and hope that it is good enough.

Q: How did the time off last year with your injury affect you as a player? Did it help you?

A: It was an obvious disappointment, just watching the team suffer the way they did last year. I took every experience from it that I could by watching the team from a coach's point of view. I spent a lot of time in meetings with the team and I think that has helped my play on the field this year.

Q: What was the adjustment like coming from a high school program that ran the ball a majority of the time to Villanova, where the passing game is an important part of the offense?

A: I think my high school career has helped me at Villanova because early in my college days, the offensive line was not a strong point of the team. Because of that, I was forced to use my legs so my running background came in handy.

Q: Which offense (more running or more passing) do you like better?

A: I would say the offense at Villanova because it is a little bit of both. The option is obviously hard to stop, but when you combine it with the passing attack, it makes it that much more difficult to handle.

Q: What are your plans after your career at Villanova is over?

A: If an opportunity in the NFL is there, I am always going to take it. But I also have a back-up plan. I am a Human Services major, so I am looking forward to going into the Human Resources field. I will probably start grad school if things with the NFL don't work out.

Q: What have your five years at Villanova been like, both on and off the field?

A: They have definitely been the best five years of my life. I have made some great friends, whether they were players, coaches or the rest of the students. I made unbelievable connections with the faculty as well, so I wouldn't trade these five years for anything in the world.

Q: If you could go back and change anything during your time at Villanova, what would it be?

A: I would change our win-loss record, but sometimes moral victories are just as important.

Q: Is there a quarterback today that you try to pattern your game after? Who is your favorite quarterback of all-time?

A: My favorite quarterback right now would have to be Donovan (McNabb), but I think that I pattern my game a little bit after Michael Vick. But my favorite quarterback of all-time is hands down, without a doubt, Dan Marino.

Bacchus might just make it on an NFL team... Gaddis... I don't know

You are probably correct.....Gaddis has been hand-picked by agent Joe Linta. Linta was very wealthy in the biz world, but got into the football world in order to find OL/TE and DL hidden gems...(he's branched into bigger prospects recently).

Amazingly, a whole bunch of his former small schoolers are NFL starters. Some even Pro Bowlers. He's so good at what he does, that NBC recently did a feature on him.

Linta thinks Gaddis may start on a practice squad, but he obviously thinks he can make him into a player. We'll see?

http://www.jlsports.net/home.html

Back on topic: Villanova doesn't run the option. Problem solved...

Never said 'nova did run the option. But a healthy %age of QBs who "have to learn a new position" were option-type QBs or QBs who were generally/consistently more dangerous with their feet than with their arms. Ward passed for >400 yds in the Peach Bowl. Doesn't mean his best NFL position is QB. But players like Ward, like Randle-El, Matt Jones, like Drew Bennett; QB isn't their best NFL position. They're athletic & determined enough to be able to play multiple positions. You can do a trick pass play with them better than you could with Chad Johnson but that doesn't mean they should be full-time QBs.

Some guys are moved around and then moved back again with some measurable success. Kordell Stewart & Ray Lucas come to mind, and I'm sure there were others. But there are also defenders who move to offense (either in college or pro's) - Kris Dielman & our own Brandon Moore were DT's before they were moved to guard.

Simply being of a particular skill-set that is suited for QB in college and high school doesn't mean it's the best role for that same player in the pros.

I don't have the slightest clue about Burroughs' QB skills other than reading a draft/scouting report. If a team (us or someone else) thinks he'll make a good QB, they'll use him in that role.

An even bigger reason for the position change is this.

Back when a player is in high school, most high school teams don't have the abundance of talent to pick and choose where a kid is most suited. They take the most athletic/talented and typically stick them at QB or HB.

College teams then have some time to scout and recruit and have a larger talent pool to pick from. That said most college don't have the entire country to pick from, just their regions. So for a lot of programs, like Nova which aren't getting the cream of the crop talent, they are still sticking their most talented/athletic players at QB and HB.

Here comes the NFL, now the NFL truly has the countries talent pool to choose from and there is a lot of talent out there, so they can be much more picky and selective when it comes down to players and their positions. NFL teams can dictate to a player what position they'll be playing as opposed to college and high school where if the kid has enough talent he'll be making the call as to his position.

Archived