Another dominant performance by Kei Igawa!

Green Jets & Ham

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get out of town-You mean the discussion of sports and relative players can be based on opinion? And no one is ever 100% right?

That just can't be. How can that be possible?

See what you taught yourelf today?

SD...madmike has put you on his ignore list. Are you going to be okay? I mean, I can't imagine the pain you're feeling right now. I know we're rival fans but you're a good guy and I hope you don't do anything to hurt yourself over this.;)

There are three kinds of lies .. lies .. damned lies .. and statistics

MARK TWAIN

This semi-ironic statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, and succinctly describes how even accurate statistics can be used to bolster inaccurate arguments.

You nailed it Ham.

The pervsive use to rely on statistics and to use them as the be all and end all to define players is loaded with fallacies, and only a fool would use them exclusively.

You want to call him productive, ok, but he is horrible with RISP, and he does not make great outs. If you want to call that productive, be my guess.

That is funny because Adam Dunn's best OPS numbers in ANY situation last season happened to be with RISP and 2 outs.

But don't let the cold hard facts get in the way of your eyes.

That is funny because Adam Dunn's best OPS numbers in ANY situation last season happened to be with RISP and 2 outs.

In fact Dunn is UNDERRATED because a lot of people have some of the mistaken ideas that scott does...

OPS does not tell the whole story. Dunn walked a lot, I don't deny that.

But, Dunn's average with RISP declined with men on base, than in comparison to when no one was on.

Those are also the cold hard facts. Don't just tell one side of teh story.

His avg with RISP was awful.

Dunn 2006 OPS

None on/None out: .711

None on 1/2 out: .966

Men on 2 outs: .727

Man on 3rd < 2 outs: .555

See the trend?

His BA in those situations?

None on/None out: .201

None on 1/2 out: .276

Men on 2 outs: .183

Man on 3rd < 2outs .150

Yeah, this guy is the epitome of clutch.

People, dont let OPS be your be all end all.

But, Dunn's average with RISP declined with men on base, than in comparison to when no one was on.

That makes no sense, how can there be RISP with no men on base? I guess when Dunn is at bat, there's always a man in scoring position; The Big Donkey can mash.

That makes no sense, how can there be RISP with no men on base? I guess when Dunn is at bat, there's always a man in scoring position; The Big Donkey can mash.

I said his average declined when there was RISP, in comparison to when no runners were on. The outs that he made, were non-productive outs, from when I watched.

Yes, teh man can mash. But, that is his only talent. ala Kingman-my original statement.

You nailed it Ham.

The pervsive use to rely on statistics and to use them as the be all and end all to define players is loaded with fallacies, and only a fool would use them exclusively.

Stats are a valuable item used as part of the evaluation of a player. But only a part. Watching a player for an extended period of time is still the best way to evaluate said player.

Using stats as the defining guide will give one a false reading more often then not.

Here is Dunn describing h mself in an interview this February-The man describes his own season last year as "terrible":

Dunn looks noticeably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"I

Here is Dunn describing h mself in an interview this February-The man describes his own season last year as "terrible":

Dunn looks noticeably leaner, he said he's done more running and eating much better. New hitting coach Brook Jacoby visited him for about a month ago in Houston.

Dunn said he just wants to forget last season, when he 40 home runs, drove in 92 runs and scored 99 runs. He also hit .234, struck out a major league high 194 times and committed 13 errors.

"I

Wait a minute. Aren't stats the be-all-end-all?;)

The point I know the three of us are trying to make is that ANYONE can use stats to support any argument that they have. Dunn with the OPS is a perfect case. My use of RISP counters it in a different way.

The truth lies somewhere in between, to be honest.

ANYONE who tells you that HE knows how to use stats correctly, and that stats provide true context is a BS artist. plain and simple.

Watch the game. Know the game. Talk about the game in generalities and not stat specific definitions.

The point I know the three of us are trying to make is that ANYONE can use stats to support any argument that they have. Dunn with the OPS is a perfect case. My use of RISP counters it in a different way.

The truth lies somewhere in between, to be honest.

ANYONE who tells you that HE knows how to use stats correctly, and that stats provide true context is a BS artist. plain and simple.

Watch the game. Know the game. Talk about the game in generalities and not stat specific definitions.

This is it, in a nutshell.

Well put.

I said his average declined when there was RISP, in comparison to when no runners were on. The outs that he made, were non-productive outs, from when I watched.

Yes, teh man can mash. But, that is his only talent. ala Kingman-my original statement.

That might have been what you meant, but its not what you said. And you guys are right, if you take away/discount his home runs, he sucks; except for getting on base so much.

Archived