Pavano

jets22

Again, your ORIGINAL post said a Corner man MUST have pwer to be on a good thing.

It sasy NOTHING about speed or OBP.

Jesus christ. Get the hell off my back. I clearly said a few posts later before you started attacking me as usual that if Melky had a 400 OBP he might be an opinion in LF but i didn't see him ever doing that.

Sometimes I just have to sit and shake my head when I read this stuff. This is one of those times. So now any player who doesn't hit over...what?? .350 or .400 in the first five or six game of the season is garbage and should be send down? People are unreal. It's a slump. They happen. Sometimes they happen early in the years. Sometimes the middle. Sometimes the end. If we're talking about a ten or twelve game slump there are A TON of players who have a few of those per season. If I didn't know any better I'd think this was the first week of baseball you'd ever seen.

Golden rule of baseball is never take what you see in April or September as gospel.

On topic: Nice start by Pavano......with Yanks offense he could win 15-18.

It was fun berating the Yanks staff while it lasted.;)

If you have something about your game that puts you in the top 1% of baseball players like Crawford does thats a special circumstance obviously but for the most part, corner outfielders need to hit for power. Having a good arm isn't enough. And if he's gonna have no power he better have a 400 OBP and i've seen no sign that he's gonna do that.

Right here. BEFORE you started your usual attacks on me.

Right here. BEFORE you started your usual attacks on me.

Mike what do you consider an attack? Somebody questioning you on something you stated? THAT is an attack?

Or you such Lord Supreme here, that no one is allowed to question you on a a point that is an opinion, or comment on it, without being issued with an attack label.

Some thin skin. now THAT may be construed as an attack. But, on;ly after you demonstrated that precisely.

Golden rule of baseball is never take what you see in April or September as gospel.

On topic: Nice start by Pavano......with Yanks offense he could win 15-18.

It was fun berating the Yanks staff while it lasted.;)

No one is judging Melky on the 20 odd AB's this season. His numbers weren't great even last year. And a lot of people overrated him.

Mike what do you consider an attack? Somebody questioning you on something you stated? THAT is an attack?

Or you such Lord Supreme here, that no one is allowed to question you on a a point that is an opinion, or comment on it, without being issued with an attack label.

Some thin skin. now THAT may be construed as an attack. But, on;ly after you demonstrated that precisely.

Whenever i make a statement about anything you have to find a way to attack me even if you have to change the subject by bringing up TONY GWYNN who has NOTHING TO DO with Melky AT ALL. I make a post about a yankee prospects site and you rehash an old argument for no reason other then to bait me into another argument. You clearly have a personal grudge against me and will blatantly LIE to make me look bad.

No one is judging Melky on the 20 odd AB's this season. His numbers weren't great even last year. And a lot of people overrated him.

Oh I agree on the some people overating him part. I recall some "I wouldn't trade Melky for Zito posts".

Melky did have a good year last season....whether he's a bonafide starting outfielder is yet to be determined.

Oh I agree on the some people overating him part. I recall some "I wouldn't trade Melky for Zito posts".

Melky did have a good year last season....whether he's a bonafide starting outfielder is yet to be determined.

He really didn't have that good a year. A 751 OPS and a sub 400 SLG% for a corner outfielder is not very good.

Whenever i make a statement about anything you have to find a way to attack me even if you have to change the subject by bringing up TONY GWYNN who has NOTHING TO DO with Melky AT ALL. I make a post about a yankee prospects site and you rehash an old argument for no reason other then to bait me into another argument. You clearly have a personal grudge against me and will blatantly LIE to make me look bad.

Gotcha:

We are not allowed to comment on ideas you suggest.

We are not allowed to disagree with you.

We are not allowed to bring up other players when the conversation is baseball.

You feel you are easily baited

And people lie to make you look bad.

I think I understand the ground rules now. Carry on.

Gotcha:

We are not allowed to comment on ideas you suggest.

We are not allowed to disagree with you.

We are not allowed to bring up other players when the conversation is baseball.

You feel you are easily baited

And people lie to make you look bad.

I think I understand the ground rules now. Carry on.

You have a very accurate custom user title. I'm done.

He really didn't have that good a year. A 751 OPS and a sub 400 SLG% for a corner outfielder is not very good.

Shove your stats and open your eyes for once.

The Yanks outfield was decimated and he stepped in and played great defense, got on base,helped return the team to playing small ball when the situation called for etc.

I am in no way in the Melky is a star group but he was huge for the Yanks last season due to the injuries the outfielders sustained.

Shove your stats and open your eyes for once.

The Yanks outfield was decimated and he stepped in and played great defense, got on base,helped return the team to playing small ball when the situation called for etc.

I am in no way in the Melky is a star group but he was huge for the Yanks last season due to the injuries the outfielders sustained.

I watched every game. My eyes are wide open. However he just wasn't as good as everyone was saying last year. a 751 OPS is not huge for any team.

I agree with Mike, except he just wasn't broad enough with what he said. Teams are obviously going to want guys on their team with some power. Most of those players are 1B, 3B, LF, and RF. So unless you can find those few players that can handle SS, 2B, and CF and also have some power and the ability to drive in runs, then you're going to want to use those corner spots on players who can do that. Yes there are exceptions to this, like Ichiro, Crawford, Gwynn, etc. Because if you've got a guy like that who is a special player, you're obviously going to sacrifice one of those corner spots if thats what you need to do to fit them on the team. But if you get the chance to move them to one of those middle positions, you do it; just like the Mariners are doing with Ichiro this year. But you're not going to make that kind of sacrifice for Melky Cabrera if you don't have to. He just isn't a special player like they are. He's a top notch 4th outfielder at best.

I agree with Mike, except he just wasn't broad enough with what he said. Teams are obviously going to want guys on their team with some power. Most of those players are 1B, 3B, LF, and RF. So unless you can find those few players that can handle SS, 2B, and CF and also have some power and the ability to drive in runs, then you're going to want to use those corner spots on players who can do that. Yes there are exceptions to this, like Ichiro, Crawford, Gwynn, etc. Because if you've got a guy like that who is a special player, you're obviously going to sacrifice one of those corner spots if thats what you need to do to fit them on the team. But if you get the chance to move them to one of those middle positions, you do it; just like the Mariners are doing with Ichiro this year. But you're not going to make that kind of sacrifice for Melky Cabrera if you don't have to. He just isn't a special player like they are. He's a top notch 4th outfielder at best.

You build your team based on complimentary players.

Yes, generally, your 1b, 3b, RF, LF are going to be power guys.

But, that is not the ONLY way to build teams. Roy White was a great compliment to Yankee teams and was not "great' at any one thing, other than winning and being a catalyst.

There are many other players that fit that same bill.

Good outing for him tonite, guess that answers all the redsux fans questions about any Yankee starters getting thru 5 innings.

How about the one where Pavano wins more then once over the last 22 months?

How about the one where Pavano wins more then once over the last 22 months?

Agreed...from now on I say no more talking about pithcers who win every 22 months, or teams that win every 86 years;)

Pavano to miss Saturday start with what Torre's calling a forearm issue.

Rasner to fill in but indications are Pavano will pitch Tuesday.

Even if the guy pitches well I think it's a given that he's going to miss some starts along the way. Same for Moose. Hoenstly though, call me crazy but my silver lining in this deal is that the Yankees are going to use six or seven starters throughout the year on a semi-regular basis and that'll give Karstens and Rasner some more looks in the rotation. These guys are the future and as long as they can keep their heads above water the Yankees have the offense to win games. Come playoff time they'll need three healthy starters. I'd be just fine with Wang, Petitte, and any newly acuqired arm (Clemens) or whoever earns that spot during this season. JMO of course.

Archived