33 Dead in VT school shooting

shawn306

If someone goes into a crowded mall with a knife how many people can he kill before he gets stopped or gets tired? A guy can walk into the mall with a bag full of clips and kill everybody.

All I'm saying are guns are too available. You maybe qualified to carry a gun and not use it when you get mad. Is the 18 yr old geek at the walmart counter qualified to look at a person and know he isn't going to load that ****ing shotgun up right there and kill everybody he sees?

IT's HARDER TO BUY ALCOHOL THEN IT IS TO BUY A GUN!

Comparing a gun to a knife or a car doesn't work for me. There aren't even close to the same thing.

Dude..most guns used in crimes are obtained illegally,by making new laws to restrict people who buy guns legally will not prevent this kind of tragedy. if someone is intent on killing people,they will find the means necessary no matter how much we try to prevent it.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i submit to you if guns were easier to get legally (with a requirement for stringent safety training) there would be less crime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_School_of_Law_shooting

On January 16, 2002, the Dean, Anthony Sutin, Professor Thomas Blackwell, and student Angela Dales were shot and killed by disgruntled student Peter Odighizuwa, 43, of Nigeria. Three other students were shot but survived. The abrupt ending to Odighizuwa

Comparing a gun to a knife or a car doesn't work for me. There aren't even close to the same thing.

they arent. Cars are MORE dangerous than guns.

for all the hot air gun-grabbers spew, this is the worst tragedy and "only" 33 people have been killed. So really, can one man and a gun kill thousands? no way. lets stay focuses

Heres my argument:

Some people have swimming pools. Swimming pools are not any more"neccesary" than guns. still, more kids die each year in swimming pool accidents than they do from bullets. Why dont we just make pools illegal? After all, its about saving lives isnt it?

GOB couldnt have said it better. It sucks to see innocent people die but a society left weaponless is a sitting duck. Besides, why should I have to give up my armory because one psycho a year goes on a rampage? You have to look at the bigger picture

and you better bring that same army to get my stuff, that is , if GOB didnt already crush em

my question is why do you need the armory dick? I know its you're right but are you seriously worried about the us not being able to defend ourselves from another country cause you, me & smizzy don't have guns?

interesting... the stats that show law abiding citizens preventing crimes with their guns anre never kept or at least never flaunted.

No matter where you go in this country, the states that allow guns always have less violent crime per capita than the states that reject gun ownership. you can take that to the bank.

Dude..most guns used in crimes are obtained illegally,by making new laws to restrict people who buy guns legally will not prevent this kind of tragedy. if someone is intent on killing people,they will find the means necessary no matter how much we try to prevent it.

While I agree with your statement why are there more gun crimes/deaths per capita in the USA than Europe, Australia and New Zealand combined?

Its next to impossible to get a gun permit (barring a shotgun/rifle for farmers) in Europe, Australia and New Zealand plus the fact that there are hardly any guns available on the black market like they are here.

GOB has a very tough job. He's a cop in of the most violent City's in the World. I have no problem with his stance on guns.

my question is why do you need the armory dick? I know its you're right but are you seriously worried about the us not being able to defend ourselves from another country cause you, me & smizzy don't have guns?

simple; a man defends what's his. if anyone breaks into my house and tries to hurt my fiance or (eventually) my kids-- he's losing his life. period. personally, i think it's irresponsible not to defend you and yours with any means at your disposal. i can see it both ways (lots of people die by their own guns) but for me, that's the choice i made and it was a clear cut choice.

While I agree with your statement why are there more gun crimes/deaths per capita in the USA than Europe, Australia and New Zealand combined?

Its next to impossible to get a gun permit (barring a shotgun/rifle for farmers) in Europe, Australia and New Zealand plus the fact that there are hardly any guns available on the black market like they are here.

GOB has a very tough job. He's a cop in of the most violent City's in the World. I have no problem with his stance on guns.

because they keep score in little league cricket games

(sorry, i could not resist)

simple; a man defends what's his. if anyone breaks into my house and tries to hurt my fiance or (eventually) my kids-- he's losing his life. period. personally, i think it's irresponsible not to defend you and yours with any means at your disposal. i can see it both ways (lots of people die by their own guns) but for me, that's the choice i made and it was a clear cut choice.

That is 100% correct. You use it for defense, not for attack.

That is 100% correct. You use it for defense, not for attack.

hence the shotgun. i've never been faced with life/death situation before (God willing, i never will) and i trust my aim a lot more with the scatter gun than with a "sexier" pistol if someone is running up the stairs at me. plus i live downtown, don't want to take out a bystander or neighbor through the wall. you have to know your limitations with weapontry, otherwise it becomes a liability. there's a lot of idiots out there running around with desert eagles and no idea how to handle them because they thought they looked "cool."

Joewilly, you have a fast boat. How many GPH does it burn? 20? 30? Its polluting and killing the earth just for your personal amusement.

I have guns because i LIKE guns. I like them mechanically, aestetically and for historical reasons. I like to go to a range and shoot them. Its plain fun. Secondly, I like to have them around JUST IN CASE. If I were at that campus, maybe I could have stopped that idiot before he got to student #5.

as far as being scared of invasion from a foriegn or domestic power, I dont give it a second thought but as a student or history I KNOW that one day, this country will end. Nothing lasts forever and you would be a damned fool to think otherwise. It could be tommorrow or in 500 years, but this country will end and chaos might ensue so if I already enjoy shooting and have the goods then thats that

I would argue that your boat is more damaging to the earth and felloe man than are my pstols, which usually sit untouched in my safe for months on end

Gainzo, you are 100% right. The US is a very violent, wild and crazy nation. The thing is, whats done is done. There is just no way to turn the clock back now so why even talk about it.

I would submit, though, that the violence in the US is created from movies and music rather than guns

well ok but I don't like you're chances against a robber with a loaded gun ****ed & you being startled awake in you're underwear lookin for the keys to the gun cabinet

Don't give me this 'why do we need guns' crap people ok?

I am sick and tired of everytime someone gets shot having to listen to this Anti-Gun crap.

You really want to know why we have the right to carry guns and why the framers of the constitution put the Second Amendment in there? It has nothing to do with hunting and/or providing food. It has everything to do with preventing tyranny from inside, from our own government. It's a check and balance between the government and its citizens.

Knives kill people. Hammers kill people. If someone wants to kill someone, they're going to make it happen. A-Hole drunk drivers and/or habitual suspended drivers get back into their 4000lbs weapon on wheels left and right, because we as a socieity refuse to forfeit the vehicles of repeat offenders. So when they go through court and get their costly slap on the wrist, they head down to the impound yard and get their car back.

You want to come get my gun? Better bring an effing army and air support, because you're not getting it. The .01% of society who do this crap are not going to dictate what the other 99.99% can do.

Bad News People. The world is evil, bad things happen. Today's tragedy was unbelievable, but I'm not going to sit back and let the anti-gun lobby rally around the blood of the victims to further restrict my rights.

This country is dicked. Dicked because people have lost their minds and most of all, dicked because people are unwilling to stand up for anything anymore. Dicked because we as a society have allowed the 4% to dictate what the other 96% can say, do, think, smoke, drink or drive.

potw nom.

I dont own a gun, but i support GOB's right to own one.

I'm quite sure the black market in the U.S. has been making a killing supporting gang violence all over the country,why should they stop?

I don't know Gainzo..I think you're comparing apples to oranges...violence is prohibited on European tv from what I hear,but sex is readily available..it's the exact opposite of the U.S.

Agreed

Joewilly, you have a fast boat. How many GPH does it burn? 20? 30? Its polluting and killing the earth just for your personal amusement.

I have guns because i LIKE guns. I like them mechanically, aestetically and for historical reasons. I like to go to a range and shoot them. Its plain fun. Secondly, I like to have them around JUST IN CASE. If I were at that campus, maybe I could have stopped that idiot before he got to student #5.

as far as being scared of invasion from a foriegn or domestic power, I dont give it a second thought but as a student or history I KNOW that one day, this country will end. Nothing lasts forever and you would be a damned fool to think otherwise. It could be tommorrow or in 500 years, but this country will end and chaos might ensue so if I already enjoy shooting and have the goods then thats that

I would argue that your boat is more damaging to the earth and felloe man than are my pstols, which usually sit untouched in my safe for months on end

sorry dick but the boat vs gun analogy doesn't fly with me in light of what happened to some 33 students. it's gonna take a lotta trips before my boat inflicts the damage that freakin gun did in a matter of minutes or hours.

I do see you're point about recreational toys being everyones right though.

well ok but I don't like you're chances against a robber with a loaded gun ****ed & you being startled awake in you're underwear lookin for the keys to the gun cabinet

who said anything about a gun cabinet? my "cabinet" is an umbrella stand next to my bed. no kids. no cabinet.

besides, when i eventually have kids and that puppy is locked up, my chances are still better getting to my locker than appealing to the robber's sense of humanity to not rape my wife at gunpoint.

I used to sell guns in a sporting goods dept many moons ago. I owned quite a few guns in my day. mostly duck, pheasant & varmit hunting.

i'm not against guns guys but why the automatic weapons? a friggin hand gun with a 2" barrel. what use do they have when you're not holdin up a liquor store?

When I lived in st pete, I had a small investment house i was living in while refurbishing it for a flip. it was near USF so i rented my main house.

One saturday night at 11:30, the wife and i were watching TV. Suddenly, there came 5 LOUD smacks at the front door. Im talking about going up to a door and making a fist and SMASHING your fist into a guys door type loud. Now, this house was tiny. we were sitting and drinking wine not 5 feet away from the door.

I panicked, my wife freaked out, I told her to follow me right away to the other room where one gun was. Now, out of respect for my wife, i kept the gun in one draw, the clip in the other and scattered 9mm rounds in the third. So there I was, absolutely shaking and spooked, thinking that a psycho could barge in and attack me any second, fumbling and stumbling and dropping bullets.

In about a 30 seconds, I had the gun locked and loaded. I cant put into words the fear that I had at that time. I remeber thinking how stupid it was for me to respect my wifes wishes and keep it in pieces but i also remember thinking about the nextgun argument i get into with someone and how PETRIFIED I would have been if i had nothing.

Unless you are ever in this kind of situation, youll never understand how right it is to be able to protect yourself and family.

anyways, i smashed the front door open and nobody was there. I walked around my property and into the back alley. nothing. then, i went to the front of the house and sure enough around the corner come 3 15 year old punks. none of them give me a single glance which made me suspicious. I followed them for a hundred feet with the 9 at my side and the all of a sudden dispersed. obviously, they whispered to themselves. GUILTY!

now, my wife, a GUN HATER was shaking and then PISSED and she told me to have that thing ready at all times for now on.

The only reason mine are locked up is because I live in a fat ass gated community now nd the chances are so friggin slim

so how many GPH does she burn?

sorry dick but the boat vs gun analogy doesn't fly with me in light of what happened to some 33 students. it's gonna take a lotta trips before my boat inflicts the damage that freakin gun did in a matter of minutes or hours.

I do see you're point about recreational toys being everyones right though.

RIGHT I M COMPARING MY RECREATIONAL TOY VERSUS ooops your and how yours is more damaging . as far as that idiot, it was his desire to kill, not the gun that killed

Things are changing. Since they banned handguns after Dunbalne, UK's gun crime has skyrocketed, and is showing no signs of slowing down. The rate in Ireland is climbing even faster, it's getting close to where there's people shot in Dublin every day.

Ditto goes for knife crimes.

Gainzo, you are 100% right. The US is a very violent, wild and crazy nation. The thing is, whats done is done. There is just no way to turn the clock back now so why even talk about it.

I would submit, though, that the violence in the US is created from movies and music rather than guns

I completely disagree. The same movies and music that play here in the States are played all over the World.

I love the USA. Don't get me wrong.

I'm starting to think that I should take my kids back to Australia.

For those of you who have rode the "T" in Boston you will see where I'm coming from with this statement.

I ride the T all the time but there have been 3 shootings and a couple of knifing's in the last few months. I always felt safe riding the train in Boston but now I look around waiting for something to happen.

Some arsehole shot someone on the bus last week. The Bus was rolling down the street. The shooter didn't care about the other 20 people on the bus.

They arrested the prick. Guess how old he was?

I used to sell guns in a sporting goods dept many moons ago. I owned quite a few guns in my day. mostly duck, pheasant & varmit hunting.

i'm not against guns guys but why the automatic weapons? a friggin hand gun with a 2" barrel. what use do they have when you're not holdin up a liquor store?

the same "use" that you get cruising. its all a matter of taste.

this is interesting, you argue that rifles are ok and handguns are bad but the gun grabbers concentrate on rifles mostly.

remington makes a trditional automatic 30.06 deer gun. that thing is POWERFUL but because it looks like grandpas duck gun nobody minds it. but god forbid you have a cheap ak47. Id rather get shot 3 times with an AK than once with a shotgun or 30.06

I completely disagree. The same movies and music that play here in the States are played all over the World.

For those of you who have rode the "T" in Boston you will see where I'm coming from with this statement.

I ride the T all the time but there have been 3 shootings and a couple of knifing's in the last few months. I always felt safe riding the train in Boston but now I look around waiting for something to happen.

Some arsehole shot someone on the bus last week. The Bus was rolling down the street. The shooter didn't care about the other 20 people on the bus.

Wow that's surprising,I've been to Boston several times..the last time was in Aug '05..I always thought the T was very safe and clean at all times.

I dont care if you love the USA or not so you dont have to add that disclaimer my friend as you are not on trial and are free to make comments.

Boston prevents its citizens from carrying guns big time, therefore only criminals have guns. I dont know what to tell ya....

You know what guys...I made a mistake here....I should have never made my post about guns. It is a political topic and I was wrong to interject my views here.

Please let's get back to the thread. 33 kids were murdered today and what we think about guns has nothing to do with it. I would hate to have to lock this thread since I started this mess and the thread has merit.

Let's do the best thing and just move past the can of worms I opened!

with a carry license i can go on a road trip with my family into 30ish states.

what if im sleeping at a rest stop and some crazy smashes my window? or if the car breaks down and some rednecks try to rape my wife? you guys laugh all you want but this crap happens all the time. Its no big deal to have something with you just in case.

what about if your driving and its a matter of simple road rage? a huge idiot gets out of his car , comes over to yours, opens the door and tries to drag you out for a fistfight? ill tell you what my friends, im a lover not a fighter and if someone crosses that line and thinks hes going to beat me up in front of my wife they are going to send the night in the morgue and ill be sleeping like a baby

dont f with me or my family, i sure wont mess with yours

You know what guys...I made a mistake here....I should have never made my post about guns. It is a political topic and I was wrong to interject my views here.

Please let's get back to the thread. 33 kids were murdered today and what we think about guns has nothing to do with it. I would hate to have to lock this thread since I started this mess and the thread has merit.

Let's do the best thing and just move past the can of worms I opened!

this is one of those political topi cs that rarely result in hard feelings. nobodys patriotism is being questioned and stuff. I can understand FULLY how anybody could hate guns. its all good but the 2nd says im right nd you suck:)

the 2nd says im right

True that.

What happened today at VT is very, very sad.

It is ironic that it didnt happen in a big city like LA, Miami or New York, but on a sleepy town college campus.

And btw, there was a dude who blew himself up on the Oklahoma campus last year, and it appeared he may have intended to set off the explosives at the football stadium during a game. That was a near miss. This one unfortunately wasnt. But usually, being on a college campus feels like a safe place to be. Maybe not so much any more...

btw that was a good story. kotite.

Archived