Better SS-3B combo?

Blackout

The thread would suggest defense, but you guys talk about hitting. So which is it?

That is a very excellent point, and one that cannot be ignored. The question posted was as "combo" which means, and particularly between a ss and a 3b, a package deal as to their abilty to play TOGETHER.

In that aspect, I would give the edge to Reyes and Wright, as I noted above. Rodriguez is miscast as a 3B and Jeter has had better days, and sometimes Cabrera can be a butcher and has limited range.

Wright has had some problems, but exhibits some soft hands. He gets in trouble sometimes when he has too much time on a play. Reyes defense is great and is getting better.

As a combo, again that is a limited criteria, I take Reyes and Wright. It all depends what you are looking for and it is a great subject.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not just yankee fans. Met fans rode Beltran and Piazza too.

Lets take a look at their career post season stats.

David Wright:

216/310/378

Arod:

280/362/485

Wright is a very good young player but when you start comparing him to first ballot hall of famers thats where you run into problems.

He really didn't have great production in the 03 playoffs.

265/315/471

But all that really shows is that those numbers are an insanely small sample size and don't mean much.

So it's okay to use playoffs stats when evaluating a player sometimes? I don't get it.

Is it physically possible to talk out of both sides of your mouth?

oh, all you yankee fans in another month will be hating on a-rod again. AGAIN! face it, we all know it will happen. im sorry, but at least my third baseman and shortstop actually don't hate each other secretly and in the case of the third baseman, have some really bad mental problems. the shortstop is selfish for not giving his position to the more skilled player and forced a-rod to play in a foreign position. oh yes, for all of you homers out there, third base is different playing than shortstop and takes time to readjust. and the yankees are supposedly a world series tema every year... they are not a team, just a collection of over the hill, overpaid guys with mental problems. the dynasty is dead. LONG LIVE THE METS, MUTHA FUKAS! (sorry, i just couldn't resist...)

So it's okay to use playoffs stats when evaluating a player sometimes? I don't get it.

Is it physically possible to talk out of both sides of your mouth?

I was pointing out that he was wrong about those stats. I wasn't the one who brought up playoff stats.

I'd go Arod Jeter 1 Cabrera Rameriz 2 Reyes Wright 3rd. Wright has been a joke at the dish hsene August starting to think Mets should have gotten Willis for him when they could've.

Wrights first two full seasons are comparable to ARod's so strange that you are disatisfied with him based on 2 bad months.

Good question Blackout. I'd take either NY combo before the Marlin duo as Cabrera while one of the games best hitters is a two tool player where Wright and ARod are five.

im sorry, but at least my third baseman and shortstop actually don't hate each other secretly

Explain to me again why it matters that the two like each other? As long as they play together that's all that matters.

and in the case of the third baseman, have some really bad mental problems

And you know this isn't the case with David Wright or any other player in MLB how exactly? Players have many of the same issues regular people do, most of them are just scared to say it.

the shortstop is selfish for not giving his position to the more skilled player

Umm..."the shortstop" is no slouch himself...if you'd take a second to look at his resume you'd see that he has every right to stay exactly where he is. He has proven that he can be the SS on a championship team....four times.

they are not a team, just a collection of over the hill, overpaid guys with mental problems.

Please, feel free to list all of their "over the hill" players that don't have an adequate replacement right behind them, or two years or less remaining on their current contracts.

the dynasty is dead

Even if it were...at least they had one. More rings in the past decade than your team has had in it's history. I'm not going to run my mouth about 26...it's been done enough times. I'm plenty happy to be able to say four..hell, even five.....Any other teams pull that off in the last thirty years or so?

LONG LIVE THE METS, MUTHA FUKAS!

If by long live you mean "continue to exist and do nothing to set yourself apart from every other franchise in MLB that manages a ring every couple of decades" then I agree...long live the Mets.

(sorry, i just couldn't resist...)

Neither could I

im sorry, but at least my third baseman and shortstop actually don't hate each other secretly

Explain to me again why it matters that the two like each other? As long as they play together that's all that matters.

and in the case of the third baseman, have some really bad mental problems

And you know this isn't the case with David Wright or any other player in MLB how exactly? Players have many of the same issues regular people do, most of them are just scared to say it.

the shortstop is selfish for not giving his position to the more skilled player

Umm..."the shortstop" is no slouch himself...if you'd take a second to look at his resume you'd see that he has every right to stay exactly where he is. He has proven that he can be the SS on a championship team....four times.

they are not a team, just a collection of over the hill, overpaid guys with mental problems.

Please, feel free to list all of their "over the hill" players that don't have an adequate replacement right behind them, or two years or less remaining on their current contracts.

the dynasty is dead

Even if it were...at least they had one. More rings in the past decade than your team has had in it's history. I'm not going to run my mouth about 26...it's been done enough times. I'm plenty happy to be able to say four..hell, even five.....Any other teams pull that off in the last thirty years or so?

LONG LIVE THE METS, MUTHA FUKAS!

If by long live you mean "continue to exist and do nothing to set yourself apart from every other franchise in MLB that manages a ring every couple of decades" then I agree...long live the Mets.

(sorry, i just couldn't resist...)

Neither could I

Fair is fair

OTHER: David Wright and Jose Reyes.

But among the choices, I'll take Hanley and Miguel. And I wouldnt have to pay $40 million for them, either.

no offense but thats a pretty biased opinion, and rather ignorant to use money as your determining factor when paying off people that would be your employees.

2006 and 2007:

jeter and a-rod: 420/1314 (.320 batting average), 73 doubles, 4 triples, 59 home runs, 251 rbi, 51 stolen bases, 11 caught stealing, 259 runs, 171 walks

miguel and hanley: 413/1303 (317 batting average), 103 doubles, 15 triples, 49 home runs, 189 rbi, 64 stolen bases, 21 caught stealing, 254 runs, 156 walks

wright and reyes: 412/1336 (.308 batting average), 76 doubles, 26 triples, 46 home run, 213 rbi, 95 stolen bases, 24 caught stealing, 243 runs, 131 walks

i think its pretty clear that the first 2 groups > the bottom one

Arod and Jeter is a HOF duo and Arod will re-write the record books by the time he's done

Met fans have every right to be excited about Reyes and Wright, it's one of the better young SS/3B duos in baseball and probably will be for a very long time {Ditto Hanley & Miggy}, but right now it's Arod and Jeter by a landslide

Both are HOFers and one is an ATG {All-Time Great}

no offense but thats a pretty biased opinion, and rather ignorant to use money as your determining factor when paying off people that would be your employees.

2006 and 2007:

jeter and a-rod: 420/1314 (.320 batting average), 73 doubles, 4 triples, 59 home runs, 251 rbi, 51 stolen bases, 11 caught stealing, 259 runs, 171 walks

miguel and hanley: 413/1303 (317 batting average), 103 doubles, 15 triples, 49 home runs, 189 rbi, 64 stolen bases, 21 caught stealing, 254 runs, 156 walks

wright and reyes: 412/1336 (.308 batting average), 76 doubles, 26 triples, 46 home run, 213 rbi, 95 stolen bases, 24 caught stealing, 243 runs, 131 walks

Not true . Baseball includes and speed and defense. Cabrera has neither tool where Wright does.

2006 and 2007:

isnt defense part of baseball,,

whats the errors stats?

Defense stats ,,for what its worth:

FYI,, Zone Rating is what MLB uses as its main ranking:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2006&seasonType=2&split=82&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=zoneRating

arod and jeter:

arod:

errors: 24 out of 382 chances = 6.3%

Fielding %: .937% (ranked 18th out of 20)

Zone rating: .741% (ranked 19th out of 20)

jeter:

errors: 15 out of 610 chances = 2.4%

Fielding %: .975% (ranked 10th out of 24)

Zone rating: .810% (ranked 20th out of 24)

cabrera and ramirez:

cabrera:

errors: 17 out of 397 chances = 4.3%

Fielding %: .957% (ranked 13th out of 20)

Zone rating: .748% (ranked 17th out of 20)

ramirez:

errors: 26 out of 695 chances = 3.7%

Fielding %: .963% (ranked 21st out of 24)

Zone rating: .786% (ranked 24th out of 24)

wright and reyes:

wright:

errors: 19 out of 414 chances = 4.6%

Fielding %: .971% (ranked 15th out of 20)

Zone rating: .858% (ranked 15th out of 20)

reyes:

errors: 17 out of 583 chances = 2.9%

Fielding %: .954% (ranked 14th out of 24)

Zone rating: .754% (ranked 4th out of 24)

Zone Rating = The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.

Fielding % = Fielding Pct.((PO + A) divided by (PO + A + E))

• 2 months later...

2007:

FLA: 188/579, .325 BA, 38 doubles, 5 triples, 27 HR, 79 RBI, 74 walks, 22 SB

NYM: 176/574, .307, 34 doubles, 9 triples, 15 HR, 72 RBI, 75 Walks, 44 SB

NYY: 191/565, .338, 39 doubles, 3 triples, 33 HR, 103 RBI, 75 Walks, 16 SB

It all depends what you are looking for.

As far as an all round combo-batting/defense/speed, Wright and Reyes are the most rounded.

Most talent probably resides in Cabrera and Ramirez.

The pair, if you needed a combo TODAY and are looking for leadership (well, minus A-rod) and savvy, then Jeter and A-Rod are the choice.

yankee fans NEVER take into account speed and defense when comparing arod/jeter to others,,duh,, wonder why??

Jeter doesn't have speed? He's one of the most efficient baserunners in baseball history.

not bad,, not great,, numbers are more impirtant than caught stealing %s if they are very low steals,, who care sif he steals when defense doesnt really care etc,,plus defense is this combos achilles heal,,Calling Mr. Arod, Calling Mr. Arod

not bad,, not great,, numbers are more impirtant than caught stealing %s if they are very low steals,, who care sif he steals when defense doesnt really care etc,,plus defense is this combos achilles heal,,Calling Mr. Arod, Calling Mr. Arod

Jeter has over 250 career SB's. Once again you prove you have no idea what you're talking about.

Defense stats ,,for what its worth:

FYI,, Zone Rating is what MLB uses as its main ranking:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2006&seasonType=2&split=82&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=zoneRating

arod and jeter:

arod:

errors: 24 out of 382 chances = 6.3%

Fielding %: .937% (ranked 18th out of 20)

Zone rating: .741% (ranked 19th out of 20)

jeter:

errors: 15 out of 610 chances = 2.4%

Fielding %: .975% (ranked 10th out of 24)

Zone rating: .810% (ranked 20th out of 24)

cabrera and ramirez:

cabrera:

errors: 17 out of 397 chances = 4.3%

Fielding %: .957% (ranked 13th out of 20)

Zone rating: .748% (ranked 17th out of 20)

ramirez:

errors: 26 out of 695 chances = 3.7%

Fielding %: .963% (ranked 21st out of 24)

Zone rating: .786% (ranked 24th out of 24)

wright and reyes:

wright:

errors: 19 out of 414 chances = 4.6%

Fielding %: .971% (ranked 15th out of 20)

Zone rating: .858% (ranked 15th out of 20)

reyes:

errors: 17 out of 583 chances = 2.9%

Fielding %: .954% (ranked 14th out of 24)

Zone rating: .754% (ranked 4th out of 24)

Zone Rating = The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.

Fielding % = Fielding Pct.((PO + A) divided by (PO + A + E))

Arods defense & speed are better than Wrights and far better than Cabreras. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Are you requesting common sense and reason from a southerner?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and as we all know, we must look at a year, not a part of a year,,the above post ois 2006,,

in 2007, wright is again ahead of arod in Zone rating,, what MLB uses ..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2007&seasonType=2&split=81&sortOrder=true&sortColumn=zoneRating

arod is getting better however,, his errors are down

Archived