Oakland begins contract negotiations with JaMarcus Russell.

ARodJetsFan

Oakland has reportedly begun contract negotiations with both Georgia Tech wideout Calvin Johnson and LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Standard operating procedure (Houston did the same with Reggie Bush and Mario Williams a year ago), but any hitch in talks could impact which way the Raiders lean if they're on the fence like most believe they are.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

If the Raiders drafted Russell it would make no sense to me at all. Calvin Johnson is clearly the class of this draft.

Their need for a QB is greater than that of their need for a WR... it makes sense...

If the Raiders drafted Russell it would make no sense to me at all. Calvin Johnson is clearly the class of this draft.

The Raiders are desperately in need of a franchise QB and Russell's armstrength has drawn comparisons to that of John Elway.

It's not hard to swallow at all.

If you have a top 2 pick, you should really think about trading that pick, unless you take a QB. Its rare (and maybe CJ is one of them) to find an ELITE WR that can honestly take over a game. Since Rice there have been 2, IMO. Unless you get one of them, you have to trade down.

The thing with the Raiders is they already have a defense, if they could add a QB and a Receiver with first round picks their 08 campaign could get them close to a division title, there's no telling.

Franchise QB>Franchise WR any day of the week. The Raiders already have Moss anyway, who CJ probably isn't as talented as. It makes no sense to just stock up on great WR draft prospects...Al Davis isn't as dumb as Millen.

are you kidding me? randy moss is a whiny shadow of his former self. calvin johnson is the greatest wide reciever prospect of recent memory, he is intelligent and is a team player. jamarcus russel has a huge arm, but there are cahracter concerns(not that that matters to the raiders) and russel showed up at the combine overweight. its the combine! millions are made there and he showed up there unprepared. oakland would be better taking johnson and that trent edwards in the 2nd. oh, al davis is actually dumber than matt millen. the raiders won't make progress until the day that he dies.

are you kidding me? randy moss is a whiny shadow of his former self. calvin johnson is the greatest wide reciever prospect of recent memory, he is intelligent and is a team player. jamarcus russel has a huge arm, but there are cahracter concerns(not that that matters to the raiders) and russel showed up at the combine overweight. its the combine! millions are made there and he showed up there unprepared. oakland would be better taking johnson and that trent edwards in the 2nd. oh, al davis is actually dumber than matt millen. the raiders won't make progress until the day that he dies.

"the greatest draft prospect in recent memory"...give me a break i hear that every draft about WR, QB, LT, RB...its old. Charles Rogers was listed there, so was Alex Smith...who cares what they are touted as.

Raiders need to trade their pick, or take a QB (quinn or russell, either way). A receiver won't make that much of a difference to them.

"the greatest draft prospect in recent memory"...give me a break i hear that every draft about WR, QB, LT, RB...its old. Charles Rogers was listed there, so was Alex Smith...who cares what they are touted as.

Raiders need to trade their pick, or take a QB (quinn or russell, either way). A receiver won't make that much of a difference to them.

Rogers and Smith were not close to the prospect the scouts are saying Calvin Johnson is. Ive read a lot of scouting reports on CJ, and they all say the same thing.....easily the most talented reciever in recent memory and the best player in this draft

I'd trade down, no lower then the 4th pick and take either QB Quinn or Russell. But Quinn would be my first choice.

I like the idea alot for them...if they trade their #1 pick to the browns they could probably get a similar deal to what the chargers got in 2004 when they got eli (a 3rd rd pick and the 2005 1st rd pick). that could potentially be the best scenerio for the raiders, and they make a move for josh mccown for probably their 4th or 5th rd pick. then at #4 they could land brady quinn and have a QB competition, if not they need to get a value pick and go after joe thomas.

uhh, 6-5 230 lbs 4.31 40, forgot his vertical and long jump, but only adrian peterson comes remotely close to those. no character problems evident, got his college degree in his junior year. come on, smith was part of a great urban meyer system, calvin had reggie ball throwing to him and he still did great. jamarcus russel is ryan leaf part deux, bank on it.

Sperm did a breakdown of QBs taken high, and iirc, taking a QB in the top 2 gives you a pretty good shot at having a franchise QB, and then by extension, a good franchise. The Raiders don't need another WR, they need a QB.

Reggie Bush was supposed to be the greatest RB prospect since Gale Sayers or something, but the reason the Saints did well wasn't because of him, it was Drew Brees. How can CJ or AP be the greatest draft prospect this decade if Bush was just last year? Did the decade end last year or something? I don't get it. And don't try and tell me Bush wasn't getting the hype.

But this year it's REALLY true . :bag: Love your sigs BTW

uhh, 6-5 230 lbs 4.31 40, forgot his vertical and long jump, but only adrian peterson comes remotely close to those. no character problems evident, got his college degree in his junior year. come on, smith was part of a great urban meyer system, calvin had reggie ball throwing to him and he still did great. jamarcus russel is ryan leaf part deux, bank on it.

I'd be worried about that myself if I was a Raiders fan. He scares me...

reggie bush is just fast. really, he may be a bust in and end up being more of a reciever in my opinion and someday win superbowl mvp like desmond howard as a kick returner. calvin will come into the league and make an impact from the start. jamarcus is just the overhyped physical qb that gets promoted like akili smith did. he has a strong arm, but his accuracy is questionable and so is his work ethic. the raiders have hardworkers on defense, but they need players that actually give a ****, unlike randy moss. not that al davis cares about team chemistry and leaders, but calvin johnson and the taking trent edwards in round 2 would be much better for them. trent edwards played for a ****ty stanford team and did really a really good job helping his draft stock go up this offseason.

I would take my chances with Brady Quinn over Jamarcus Russel. I understand Russel has the better arm and is more physically gifted etc. But raw talent doesn't always translate on the NFL level. Quinn seems more fitted for the pro game. He seems to have all the measurables and intangibles. Something about Russel scares me. He doesn't seem competitive enough. Showing up overweight to the biggest job interview of your life.. I don't know. Hey, if he turns out to be a great QB, I'll be the first to say I was wrong, but somehow Quinn seems like much less of a risk. Just one man's opinion.

Archived