yanks were playing Possum by getting Igawa

afosomf

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right. And if the Yankees paid 100 million dollars for this guy they would just be "buying another championship." Gimme a break.

what don't you understand?

the sux invested some $50m in japan, they will get this $ back and more with Nesn subscribers and merchandise revenue(dicek shirts)

they finally outsmarted George, it took them a while.. but they did

what don't you understand?

the sux invested some $50m in japan, they will get this $ back and more with Nesn subscribers and merchandise revenue(dicek shirts)

they finally outsmarted George, it took them a while.. but they did

I understand just fine. If the Yankees spent that much money on a player it wouldn't be considered outsmarting anybody, they would just be buying the player. This is like talking to a 3rd grader though so I'll just stick with the game thread.

I understand just fine. If the Yankees spent that much money on a player it wouldn't be considered outsmarting anybody, they would just be buying the player. This is like talking to a 3rd grader though so I'll just stick with the game thread.

Paying DiceK 6 yrs 52m is cheap, look what gil meche cost royals

janks fans cannot figure out that sux took them to cleaners

Igawa= crap on a stick

dice k will be a stud pitcher for many years

and i hate the sux as much as janks

Bro we all remember that you got your balls signed by Dice K. There is not a Yankee fan that thinks Igawa is the better pitcher.

But 1 and 2 for the money the Sox paid. That would concern me.

Bro we all remember that you got your balls signed by Dice K. There is not a Yankee fan that thinks Igawa is the better pitcher.

But 1 and 2 for the money the Sox paid. That would concern me.

dice K is a bargain at $9m per year for 6 years for a #1 or 2 starter

Just becuase that's all he is getting from the Sox does not mean it's all they paid for his services. If somebody sells you a brand new car for a thousand bucks...and then charge you a three million dollar processing fee for doing the paperwork are you going to brag to all of your friends about how you "outsmarted" them?

Just becuase that's all he is getting from the Sox does not mean it's all they paid for his services. If somebody sells you a brand new car for a thousand bucks...and then charge you a three million dollar processing fee for doing the paperwork are you going to brag to all of your friends about how you "outsmarted" them?

you just do not get it, the sox will recoup there posting fee with Nesn subcribers and merchandise revenue from sales of dice K jerseys, caps and

condoms!!!!!!!!!

you just do not get it, the sox will recoup there posting fee with Nesn subcribers and merchandise revenue from sales of dice K jerseys, caps and

condoms!!!!!!!!!

Right....and Enron employees expected to recoup their retirement money. Just because an organization "hopes" to sell enough hats to make $50 mil doesn't mean they will. Even if they do, it does not change the fact that they paid well above and beyond the $9 mil per season you're pretending they paid. His out of pocket cost was over 100 mil no matter how any fan of any team wants to try to spin it.

Right....and Enron employees expected to recoup their retirement money. Just because an organization "hopes" to sell enough hats to make $50 mil doesn't mean they will. Even if they do, it does not change the fact that they paid well above and beyond the $9 mil per season you're pretending they paid. His out of pocket cost was over 100 mil no matter how any fan of any team wants to try to spin it.

Japanese fans are nuts for baseball and Dice K, they are buying up everything

that has DiceK on it, i sold 2 baseballs this spring, for $242 each. I have a friend in the sporting goods business who cannot sell enuff dicek shirts, yeah the sux made a real mistake, while the janks staff is old and washed up.

BTW i am not aware of any fan paying a piece of the $100m, i believe the sux

invested this coin and will also charge an extra 50 cents per lager.

Very true.

His true value will be determined on how well the Sox establish a foothold in the Japan market. He is an icon in Japan. Little kids grow-up wanting to be him. Now, their icon is associated with the Sox. How many kids today are thinking about emulating their hero and possibly pitching for the Red Sox?

I think he will pay off if the early returns are any inidcation and that is just through his pitching. The residual effect he will have could be huge.

Japanese fans are nuts for baseball and Dice K, they are buying up everything

that has DiceK on it, i sold 2 baseballs this spring, for $242 each. I have a friend in the sporting goods business who cannot sell enuff dicek shirts, yeah the sux made a real mistake, while the janks staff is old and washed up.

BTW i am not aware of any fan paying a piece of the $100m, i believe the sux

invested this coin and will also charge an extra 50 cents per lager.

Ummm...ever heard of a guy by the name of Hideki Matsui? Yeah, pure coincidence that a Sox/Mets fan would choose to leave him out of a discussion involoving iconic japanese baseball players and the revenue they generate.

Very true.

His true value will be determined on how well the Sox establish a foothold in the Japan market. He is an icon in Japan. Little kids grow-up wanting to be him. Now, their icon is associated with the Sox. How many kids today are thinking about emulating their hero and possibly pitching for the Red Sox?

I think he will pay off if the early returns are any inidcation and that is just through his pitching. The residual effect he will have could be huge.

No reason to say the Yankees couldn't make the same gains by signing Matsui. This is also part of the reason why the Yankees weren't "outsmarted" because they already had a piece of the japanese market by signing their #1 HR hitter. How much of an increase would they see by signing Dice K? Would fans run out and buy a second Yankee hat or Jersey? Probably not

I agree that would be a bargain. But no matter what he tells you when he is signing your balls, that simply isn't what he cost the Red Sox. That would have been a good deal. What they paid was much more.

And the Yankees weren't outsmarted when it comes to the Japenese marketing game. They signed Hideki for peanuts in comparison and have been reaping the rewards ever since.

But I guess that is why they Yankees franchise is worth so much.

EDIT -- AFJF beat me to the Hideki line.

I agree that would be a bargain. But no matter what he tells you when he is signing your balls, that simply isn't what he cost the Red Sox. That would have been a good deal. What they paid was much more.

And the Yankees weren't outsmarted when it comes to the Japenese marketing game. They signed Hideki for peanuts in comparison and have been reaping the rewards ever since.

But I guess that is why they Yankees franchise is worth so much.

EDIT -- AFJF beat me to the Hideki line.

no camparison between matsui and dicek, none... not even close

dicek is a icon, matsui is just a good baseball player

the attention dicek receives in japan/usa is triple what matsui receives.

nice try, get used to being in 2nd place

and i wanted a subway series again, tock..tock..tock

No reason to say the Yankees couldn't make the same gains by signing Matsui. This is also part of the reason why the Yankees weren't "outsmarted" because they already had a piece of the japanese market by signing their #1 HR hitter. How much of an increase would they see by signing Dice K? Would fans run out and buy a second Yankee hat or Jersey? Probably not

I am not so sure.

Of course, the residual effect will also happen, but I do not remember anyone saying Matsui was as popular. Matsui was a great player for them, but Dice-K was for lack of a better term god-like.

Plus, I think you missed my point. I am not talking about merchandise. I am talking about getting a foothold in a talent pool. MLB has been tapping the market already, but their players are getting better and better. Now, kids in Japan are seeing the Sox drop 103.1 million to buy their icon. Maybe, the next 'great' Japan player will not limit himself to just the Yankees as a means to fill their wallet.

This was a big signing for the Sox in alot of ways it would not be for the Yankees.

I am not so sure.

Of course, the residual effect will also happen, but I do not remember anyone saying Matsui was as popular. Matsui was a great player for them, but Dice-K was for lack of a better term god-like.

Plus, I think you missed my point. I am not talking about merchandise. I am talking about getting a foothold in a talent pool. MLB has been tapping the market already, but their players are getting better and better. Now, kids in Japan are seeing the Sox drop 103.1 million to buy their icon. Maybe, the next 'great' Japan player will not limit himself to just the Yankees as a means to fill their wallet.

This was a big signing for the Sox in alot of ways it would not be for the Yankees.

You're insane. Matsui was the best player on the beat team in Japan for 8 years and he was MUCH bigger than Matsuzaka was.

But the idea that this will somehow help the yankees or boston get further players from japan is stupid. Those players will go to the highest bidder as usual.

You're insane. Matsui was the best player on the beat team in Japan for 8 years and he was MUCH bigger than Matsuzaka was.

But the idea that this will somehow help the yankees or boston get further players from japan is stupid. Those players will go to the highest bidder as usual.

Sorry. You are wrong. Dice-K was a phenom since his performance at the 1998 HS tournament.

Matsui was big, Dice-K was bigger.

no camparison between matsui and dicek, none... not even close

dicek is a icon, matsui is just a good baseball player

the attention dicek receives in japan/usa is triple what matsui receives.

nice try, get used to being in 2nd place

and i wanted a subway series again, tock..tock..tock

Okay I will type slow for you.

I never said Matsui was bigger than DiceK in Japan. I have no idea. But since the Yankees paid a fraction of the cost, it is a good move on their part. The Red Sox overpaid for a sub .500 pitcher.

And get your own lines. The SJ rip off stuff isn't working for you.

I am not so sure.

Of course, the residual effect will also happen, but I do not remember anyone saying Matsui was as popular.

I know that there is no way of proving who was more popular (at least for a bunch of americans on a New York Jets message board) but I look at it this way...who's more popular in the US...Johan Santana or Albert Pujols? Barry Bonds or Barry Zito? Jason Giambi or Jason Schmidt? Chicks dig the long ball my friend...HR hitters will always be more popular than pitchers. Right or wrong..thats just the way it is.

I know that there is no way of proving who was more popular (at least for a bunch of americans on a New York Jets message board) but I look at it this way...who's more popular in the US...Johan Santana or Albert Pujols? Barry Bonds or Barry Zito? Jason Giambi or Jason Schmidt? Chicks dig the long ball my friend...HR hitters will always be more popular than pitchers. Right or wrong..thats just the way it is.
It's not like comparing Pujols to Santana, it's like comparing Jeter or Arod to Santana because Matsui played on the biggest stage in the biggest market in Japan and matsuzaka played on a 2nd tier team.

It's not like comparing Pujols to Santana, it's like comparing Jeter or Arod to Santana because Matsui played on the biggest stage in the biggest market in Japan and matsuzaka played on a 2nd tier team.

Thanks

basically if he has a red sox hat on he must be the best ever, and if he's got a yankees cap on he must be over-paid and over-rated

right?

You are using the Madmike theory of Yankeetivity.

Anything with a Yankees logo on the hat is the bestever. Example: Philip Hughes. Has already had his mold for Canton and the Yankee Walk of Fame made.

You are using the Madmike theory of Yankeetivity.

Anything with a Yankees logo on the hat is the bestever. Example: Philip Hughes. Has already had his mold for Canton and the Yankee Walk of Fame made.

Yeah because i'm the ONLY person who thinks Phil Hughes will be a good pitcher...

Archived