Even mang. secretly feel Shlegel was a reach

CoachTsurfing

Notes: Privately, the Jets have admitted that selecting LB Anthony Schlegel (Ohio St.) in the third round last season was a mistake. Schlegel played in just four games last season and didn't record a tackle on defense. ... Tannenbaum said there were some "inconsistencies" in the play of LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson last season but there were also "a lot of things to be really encouraged by."

This is not a bust thread on Shlegal, he can't help where he was drafted and I'm sure if anything being drafted that high he wanted and wants to prove he is worth that high of a pick. But, it does prove that getting enamored with players for whatever reason can sometimes hurt and the Tangini combo isn't perfect. Other then the Shlegal pick, I think they did a fantastic job. The article also pointed out that Brick was inconsistent. I am hoping that he lives up to the spot he was chosen. I'm almost glad that we are picking so low in the draft. For two reasons. One is that we had a decent year and two the expectations won't be there for a pro bowl player.

Notes: Privately, the Jets have admitted that selecting LB Anthony Schlegel (Ohio St.) in the third round last season was a mistake. Schlegel played in just four games last season and didn't record a tackle on defense. ... Tannenbaum said there were some "inconsistencies" in the play of LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson last season but there were also "a lot of things to be really encouraged by."

This is not a bust thread on Shlegal, he can't help where he was drafted and I'm sure if anything being drafted that high he wanted and wants to prove he is worth that high of a pick. But, it does prove that getting enamored with players for whatever reason can sometimes hurt and the Tangini combo isn't perfect. Other then the Shlegal pick, I think they did a fantastic job. The article also pointed out that Brick was inconsistent. I am hoping that he lives up to the spot he was chosen. I'm almost glad that we are picking so low in the draft. For two reasons. One is that we had a decent year and two the expectations won't be there for a pro bowl player.

As JetNation's resident Schlegel defender I'm gonna have to ask you for a link.

I listened to the press conference yesterday and I didnt hear anyone say anything of the sort. Also, your facts about Schlegel are just flat wrong. He didnt play until game 10 or 11 and then did not play a snap on defense.

He played in all four preseason games and recorded 12 tackles on D.

Your the lack of actual facts in your thread makes me doubt that anyone with the Jets said anything about Schlegel being a dissapointment.

I listened to the press conference yesterday and I didnt hear anyone say anything of the sort. Also, your facts about Schlegel are just flat wrong. He didnt play until game 10 or 11 and then did not play a snap on defense.

Your the lack of actual facts in your thread makes me doubt that anyone with the Jets said anything about Schlegel being a dissapointment.

http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/index.ssf?/base/Sports/117707045816110.xml&coll=1

Of course he was a disappointment, but I agree thata link would be good.

Actually, I found the link myself. Its in Tom Rock's Blog. The facts are still absolutely wrong and he doesnt attribute his source, so I doubt how much the source of the comment actually knows about what the Jets coaching staff thinks.

Actually, I found the link myself. Its in Tom Rock's Blog. The facts are still absolutely wrong and he doesnt attribute his source, so I doubt how much the source of the comment actually knows about what the Jets coaching staff thinks.

One more word out of you about the Boar Hunter and the kitten gets it.

funny_cats_3.jpg

:P

After numerous attempts to get people to see the Schlegel situation from my perspective (not agree with me, just understand my point) I've pretty much given up. You're under no obligation to see it my way or to even try. Fair enough.

Three points related specifically to the topic of this thread

1. You really dont know what Schlegel is and isnt capable of doing on the football field. Third round picks are not usually expected to step in as starters.

2. I'm sure Schlegel's toughness, leadership, and smarts were a big part of the Jets decision to pick him, but the truth is that many of his measurables were equal to or better than that of the two ILBs picked ahead of him -- DQwell Jackson and Abdul Hodge -- he did more reps than Hodge, jumped farther than both in the standing broad jump, and was equal or only slightly slower in the quickness drills -- shuttles etc than them. The only measurable that he was clearly behind in was the 40. So to say the scouts ignored his difficiencies in the measurable because of his intangibles is more than a little inaccurate.

3. Many of you are reading one line in a Tom Rock blog as proof that Schlegel cant play when you know as well as I that the one line is full of inaccuracies. If the facts are wrong the opinion he states is probably wrong.

After numerous attempts to get people to see the Schlegel situation from my perspective (not agree with me, just understand my point) I've pretty much given up. You're under no obligation to see it my way or to even try. Fair enough.

1. You really dont know what Schlegel is and isnt capable of doing on the football field. Third round picks are not usually expected to step in as starters.

2. I'm sure Schlegel's toughness, leadership, and smarts were a big part of the Jets decision to pick him, but the truth is that many of his measurables were equal to or better than that of the two ILBs picked ahead of him -- DQwell Jackson and Abdul Hodge -- he did more reps than Hodge, jumped farther than both in the standing broad jump, and was equal or only slightly slower in the quickness drills -- shuttles etc than them. The only measurable that he was clearly behind in was the 40. So to say the scouts ignored his difficiencies in the measurable because of his intangibles is more than a little inaccurate.

3. Many of you are reading one line in a Tom Rock blog as proof that Schlegel cant play when you know as well as I that the one line is full of inaccuracies. If the facts are wrong the opinion he states is probably wrong.

No but they are expected to play at least a wee bit

Agree

Possibly, but where there is smoke there is fire. This could be Jets way of paving the way to cut him early in camp

Gibbon Im sorry but I dont know what your thinking... here are some 06' 3rd round draft picks who got more playing time and played better than Schlegal.... not to mention half of these guys were drafted AFTER him...

Charles Spencer T - 2 games started

Eric Winston T - 7 games started - 12 games played

Abdul Hodge LB - Played in 8 games

Claude Wroten DT - Played in 15 games

Paul McQuistan G - Played in 15 games - Started 6

Leonard Pope TE - Played in 16 games - Started 6

Brian Calhoun RB - Played in 7 games

Jason Spitz G - Played in 14 games - Started 13 games

Travis Wilson WR - Played in 4 games - Started 1

Jerious Norwood RB - Played in 14 games

Clint Ingram LB - Played in 14 games (over 70 tackles, drafted after Schlegal)

Derek Hagan WR - Played in 16 games

Anthony Smith DB - Played in 16 games

Brandon Williams WR - Played in 13 games

David Thomas TE - Played in 15 games - Started 3

James Anderson LB - Played in 16 games

Maurice Stovall WR - Played in 9 games - Started 2

Jason Hatcher DE - Played in 14 games

Dominique Byrd TE - Played in 5 games

Freddy Keiaho LB - Played in 14 games

Gerris Wilkinson LB - Played in 16 games

Eric Smith DB - Played in 15 games

Anthony Schlegel LB - Played in 4 games (recorded 1 tackle)

LOL, I didn't really create this thread to have a spirited discussion on how good Shlegal is. And I'm not trying to bash him or give him any man love. What I'm trying to show is how people can get caught up in a player and take him too early in the draft. Shlegal has no control over how high he was taken. However high or low a player is taken, most try to live up to it or play with a chip on their shoulder to prove they should of been chosen higher. So many of these guys get chosen because they performed well at the combine. Which I despise. I think guys should be taken on how well they performed agaisnt top level teams combined with scores from the combine. Not to mention what type of offense or defense they played in. It's always going to be hard to predict how a college player will adjust. This goes out to the retarded scout that had the man crush on Shlegal. Get a new job. If the bunch of us Jet loving slobs can tell a player was a reach then a scout should also.

I think the Jets really wanted Abdul Hodge instead but he was taken just a few selections earlier to the Packers.

Schlegel was a horrible pick. Horrible. I'll give them a pass on it this time, but I'll gladly bash the hell out of them if they reach for another UDFA in the 3rd rd again.

I think the Jets really wanted Abdul Hodge instead but he was taken just a few selections earlier to the Packers.

Schlegel was a horrible pick. Horrible. I'll give them a pass on it this time, but I'll gladly bash the hell out of them if they reach for another UDFA in the 3rd rd again.

They should have went with Clint Ingram... he stepped right into the Jags D.. Played 14 games... 71 tackles / 1.5 sacks / 1 INT

About the same size as Schlegal...

If they werent sure, they should have traded down

That too...

There were multiple LB's in the 3rd round who got plenty of playing time and even started though... they swung and missed on this one...

People forget too... we got Eric Smith with the last pick of the 3rd round... he played a lot actually...

They should have went with Clint Ingram... he stepped right into the Jags D.. Played 14 games... 71 tackles / 1.5 sacks / 1 INT

About the same size as Schlegal...

Did Jacksonville have 3 veteran LBs who stayed healthy all year in front of him?

If not then its not a comparison.

Did Jacksonville have 3 veteran LBs who stayed healthy all year in front of him?

It doesnt matter, he is a better player that was drafted later, he would have gotten some playing time on the JETS... at least on ST...

Eric Smith was playing behind coleman who has had 100+ tackles every year including his rookie season and has been a starter since day one... he managed to get playing time... he was a borderline 4th rounder...

Your argument about 3rd rounders not being expected to step right in and play is wrong... I gave you a list of 3rd rounders just from last year that did just that...

He couldnt beat out Kassel for playing time... c'mon... just get real about him... he isnt that good... he sucked every chance he got...

It doesnt matter, he is a better player that was drafted later, he would have gotten some playing time on the JETS... at least on ST...

Eric Smith was playing behind coleman who has had 100+ tackles every year including his rookie season and has been a starter since day one... he managed to get playing time... he was a borderline 4th rounder...

Your argument about 3rd rounders not being expected to step right in and play is wrong... I gave you a list of 3rd rounders just from last year that did just that...

Yeah and between them I think they averaged about 2 starts (I did the math -- but its not my strong suit. By the way I said start not play) It does matter who was in front of him. Of course 3rd rounders who play on teams without healthy, quality veterans in front of them are more likely to play and start.

Kassell was a five year veteran who was given a contract to provide ILB depth. Not surprised that he was the first guy off the bench all season since he was picked up to be the first guy off the bench.

By the way I said start not play

Gibbon Im sorry but I dont know what your thinking... here are some 06' 3rd round draft picks who got more playing time and played better than Schlegal.... not to mention half of these guys were drafted AFTER him...

Charles Spencer T - 2 games started

Eric Winston T - 7 games started - 12 games played

Abdul Hodge LB - Played in 8 games

Claude Wroten DT - Played in 15 games

Paul McQuistan G - Played in 15 games - Started 6

Leonard Pope TE - Played in 16 games - Started 6

Brian Calhoun RB - Played in 7 games

Jason Spitz G - Played in 14 games - Started 13 games

Travis Wilson WR - Played in 4 games - Started 1

Jerious Norwood RB - Played in 14 games

Clint Ingram LB - Played in 14 games (over 70 tackles, drafted after Schlegal)

Derek Hagan WR - Played in 16 games

Anthony Smith DB - Played in 16 games

Brandon Williams WR - Played in 13 games

David Thomas TE - Played in 15 games - Started 3

James Anderson LB - Played in 16 games

Maurice Stovall WR - Played in 9 games - Started 2

Jason Hatcher DE - Played in 14 games

Dominique Byrd TE - Played in 5 games

Freddy Keiaho LB - Played in 14 games

Gerris Wilkinson LB - Played in 16 games

Eric Smith DB - Played in 15 games

Anthony Schlegel LB - Played in 4 games (recorded 1 tackle)

The bolded all started games... the rest all played more than Schlegal...

Eric Smith is the perfect example of a third round rookie being good enough to earn playing time...

The bolded all started games... the rest all played more than Schlegal...

Eric Smith is the perfect example of a third round rookie being good enough to earn playing time...

Yeah. When you average those guys who starter with the other players you listed you get two starts per player.

How many all pros and 8 year veterans did any of those guys beat out for starts and playing time.

E. Smith had a very good year, but are you honestly comparing the competition he had in Coleman to Vilma and Barton?

I never said he didnt play in fewer games than most 3rd rounders. He did.

In the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I misread the line from Hutch's (not Tom Rocks) article. There are no factual mistakes (unless you count preseason). Read it to say that he had made 4 starts on D and recorded no tackles. My mistake not his.

I still think too much is being made of this statement. Its not clear from what Hutch wrote exactly what was meant (not to mention who said it). Did they mean that it was a mistake to pick him in the 3rd because t hey could have had him later or did they mean it was a mistake to pick him. And, how did they say it? Did it go like this -- "Yeah, we could have probably gotten Schlegel in the 4th" or was it "Schlegel was a mistake. He doesnt have the tools to play at this level' Two very different statements with two different meanings.

Feel free to take the above approach with a grain of salt since I made such a donkey out of myself in stating that the sentence contained factual errors.

Yeah. When you average those guys who starter with the other players you listed you get two starts per player.

How many all pros and 8 year veterans did any of those guys beat out for starts and playing time.

E. Smith had a very good year, but are you honestly comparing the competition he had in Coleman to Vilma and Barton?

I never said he didnt play in fewer games than most 3rd rounders. He did.

Thats great and all but Schlegal couldnt even sniff at ST time...

Damnit Escrub, schlegal is the best player on this team. You are just going to have to deal with it. He plays with a knife in his sock to show everyone he means business (ray-ray style)

Look Bruce you are making up an argument between us out of thin air. I said most third rounders were not considered as potential starters. You come out with a list of 20 guys drafted in the 3rd who played in more games than Schlegel and 10 who started games (one of who is an LB). I just pointed out that it matters how much quality depth there was in front of those guys in terms of whether or not they got to start.

I never said that Schlegel played in more than 4 games or even that I wasnt dissapointed by the fact that he didnt play much or that this was a normal number of games for a 3rd rounder to play in. I just said that 3rd rounders werent looked on as starters in their first season. And that's true. Out of the 20 guys you listed plus the 12 others you only listed 3 or 4 that actually started most of their teams games -- so my statement that most 3rd rounders arent expected to step into starting rolls is actually proven by the numbers you posted.

Third round LBs are expected to play ST and like I said I was dissapointed that Schlegel didnt. This could be an ominous sign for his future or it could be a result of other factors (I wont explain those here. I've already done it on numerous occasions and I'll spare Jetcane and others having to wade through them again.)

I've already done it on numerous occasions and I'll spare Jetcane and others having to wade through them again.)

It really doesnt matter to me. I am entertained by your staunch but biased defense of the Boar hunter.

Third round LBs are expected to play ST and like I said I was dissapointed that Schlegel didnt. This could be an ominous sign

I think we made some progress today!

Same time next week?

;)

Archived