AFC East draft grades

frankmoga

Well it is over and I think we as jets fans can be very happy at what transpired this weekend. My overall assessment is this:

Jets A: This was an absolutely marvelous draft job by Tangini. We get an automatic shutdown corner in Darrelle Revis. The guy is simply amazing. Great job in giving up a small amount to what may end up bing a faster version of Ty law. This was a great great pick. The pick of David Harris was also great. He is a stud LB with great east west speed and will help out Vilmma tremendously. These ar two probowl picks we got...for comparetively little. Jacob Bender is a stud Ol who will challenge for a starting spot. I am telling you folks, this guy was way undervalueed by Mel Kiper, etc. We got him in the 6th when he was 3rd round value. I like the final pick of stuckey...he had some injury problems for the Tigers, but when healthy he is a great slot WR. He should replace Mcareins. Overall, we did the best job af any AFC East team.

Patsies B: Did ok overall. Nice value in giving up a 4th for Moss. I also liked thre 1st riund slection of Meriweather. The selction of Kareem Brown was also a good value pick. Nothing else they did was worth mentioning. Pretty avergae at best, and most scrubs who will be cut come August 231st.

Bills C-: They reached on the 1st selection of Marshawn Lynch at RB. He could have been had in the 2nd round. This was a waste of value. They had a nice pick of Paul Poslusny in the 2nd round, and Trent Edwards in the 3rd wasn't bad. Overall a slightly below average day for Marv Levy and those geezers.

Dolphins F: They had by far one of the worst drafts in NFL history. They blew a chance at a top QB in Brady Quinn and instead reached for a unpolished WR who may be injurd well into the 2007 season. Ginn is still in a boot and wont be ready till August At BEST. There selction of John Beck at Qb is laughable. He was a 5th round pick in my book and is only trading camp fodder for most teams. They did not have another meaniingful pick in the draft and overall are being crucified by the national media. It is awesome to watch how they are getting killed.

So, I think as this draft ends, we all should feel good. The patsies have made alot off season splash but it is all BS. There wiill be no chemistry and those players will implode. We will overtake them for th AFC East.

F. Moga III

I actually thought Buffalo had a pretty nice draft. They didn't get their guy in Willis and they knew that Green Bay was going to take Lynch if they didn't, so they had to take him there. They got great value picks in the second and third rounds in Poz and Edwards, and Dwayne Wright is a major sleeper in Round 4. I'd give them a B or B-, only because they didn't address other needs they had like CB.

The Jets deserve something of the same grade, IMO. Though they did get great value for all of their picks, if just one of their top two doesn't work out, this draft is a major failure IMO. They didn't address depth in the O-line or get a defensive lineman for the future. They got a CB and LB who will be major parts for the future but still have glaring holes.

Also, how can you give the Dolphins an F? They don't deserve such a high grade.

Lynch would have went the Packers at 16 had he fell.

Pretty optimistic from a Jet fans point of view if you ask me.

Yea, perhaps....but the Jills should have traded down and selected another similar back and acquired another pick. It seems like only Mangin and Bellicheck know what the hell they are doing when it comes to draft day picks and manuevering. It is like neck and neck with us and them.

Moga

Also, how can you give the Dolphins an F? They don't deserve such a high grade.

:) hilarious. I heard some people saying that the Dolphins could very well havee had the worst draft in NFL history. They are finished as an organization.

FM

I throw up in my mouth just a little bit every time I see this term used. Shutdown corners aren't even endangered, they're extinct!!

Champ and McCallister are shutdown. There are not many - but there are a few. Ty Law was once one as well not to long ago. DeAngeloe Hall was on his way but got derailed last season a little.

How was filling our biggest need with the best player available at that position a reach?? Everyone said we "reached" on Whitner last year and he started for us right off the bat and was 2nd on the team in tackles, and most importanly fillled a need for us.

I dont agree at all with you C-. Id say atleast a B if not more.

Champ and McCallister are shutdown. There are not many - but there are a few. Ty Law was once one as well not to long ago. DeAngeloe Hall was on his way but got derailed last season a little.

I wouldn't even call either of them shutdown. I've seen Champ get burnt on more than one occasion. If this were BEFORE the rule changes, I have no doubt Champ would be a shutdown corner but not now. We can all thank that little douchebag Polian for that.

I wouldn't even call either of them shutdown. I've seen Champ get burnt on more than one occasion. If this were BEFORE the rule changes, I have no doubt Champ would be a shutdown corner but not now. We can all thank that little douchebag Polian for that.

He does get beat from time to time - but even Deion Sanders in his prime got beat. I still would take my chances on leaving either of those two on an island while I sent the safety.

Polian is definitly a douchebag.

Well "shutdown corner" label or not...if he turns out like Champ Bailey i don't think any Jet fan will complain, lol.

I consider Champ the only shutdown corner in the league. The gap between him and everyone else is absolutely ridiculous. Before the rule changes he'd be even more dominant, but I still think he does enough to be termed that.

Also, how many times must he beat your team until you admit you shouldn't be throwing his direction?

Yea, perhaps....but the Jills should have traded down and selected another similar back and acquired another pick. It seems like only Mangin and Bellicheck know what the hell they are doing when it comes to draft day picks and manuevering. It is like neck and neck with us and them.

Moga

I think Marvs drafting has been great as well, last years was extremly solid.

1st - Donte Whitner - Starting SS 2nd on team in tackles

1st - John McCargo - Showed promise before he sufferd season ending foot injury in week 5.

3rd - Ashton Youboty - Didnt really see the field at all after an extremely late start because of his mothers death in late August.

4th -Ko Simpson - Took over for Vincent early on and started at FS there on out and was very solid.

5th - Kyle Williams - Quickly jumped ahead of Tim Anderson on the depth chart as the teams starting NT and did real well.

5th - Brad Butler - Didnt play much but had a shoulder injury most of the season.

6th - Keith Ellison - The biggest surprise of the draft class, he filled in great when the injuries hit our LB corp and will be a full time starter in '07.

7th- Terrance Pennington - Became starting RT late in the season and did very well and will now battle Walker for the starting job.

7th - Aaron Merz - Played here and there but is good for depth.

All in all 5 of those 9 were key players last year and 2 of the last 4 were hurt/missed way to much time to be effective, but should have big impacts this year.

I think Marv has done a fine job the last two drafts now.

I think Marvs drafting has been great as well, last years was extremly solid.

1st -Whitner - Starting SS 2nd on team in tackles

1st -McCargo - Showed promise before he sufferd season ending foot injury in week 5.

3rd -Youboty - Didnt really see the field at all after an extremely late start because of his mothers death in late August.

4th -Ko Simpson - Took over for Vincent early on and started at FS there on out and was very solid.

5th - Kyle Williams - Quickly jumped ahead of Tim Anderson on the depth chart as the teams starting NT and did real well.

5th - Brad Butler - Didnt play much but had a shoulder injury most of the season.

6th - Keith Ellison - The biggest surprise of the draft class, he filled in great when the injuries hit our LB corp and will be a full time starter in '07.

7th- Terrance Pennington - Became starting RT late in the season and did very well and will now battle Walker for the starting job.

7th - Aaron Merz - Played here and there but is good for depth.

All in all 5 of those 9 were key players last year and 2 of the last 4 were hurt/missed way to much time to be effective, but should have big impacts this year.

I think Marv has done a fine job the last two drafts now.

I loved the Bills draft last year too. I just am not a big Marshawn Lynch fan and would be having nightmares about JJ Arrington if I was a Bills fan. Jmho.

I loved the Bills draft last year too. I just am not a big Marshawn Lynch fan and would be having nightmares about JJ Arrington if I was a Bills fan. Jmho.

Eh I'm not worried about it, I dont think Arrington ever looked as good as Lynch in college. I think he'll be just fine, and I'm excited to see him play.

Outside of Lynch i thought the Bills had a pretty good draft(Lynch i didn't see enough of to make a comment on). Im not sure why everyones so down on their draft, as it wasn't the draft thats going to be the Bills problem, rather the players they let go in FA(although with some it was an unavoidable $$ issue)

Outside of Lynch i thought the Bills had a pretty good draft(Lynch i didn't see enough of to make a comment on). Im not sure why everyones so down on their draft, as it wasn't the draft thats going to be the Bills problem, rather the players they let go in FA(although with some it was an unavoidable $$ issue)

lynch is a great player but he has character flags and durability concerns. he shared most of his carries in the college ranks. will he be able to carry the load. i dont think he should have been the pick when a guy like adam carriker, darrell revis, and timmons on the board

Well it is over and I think we as jets fans can be very happy at what transpired this weekend. My overall assessment is this:

Jets A: This was an absolutely marvelous draft job by Tangini. We get an automatic shutdown corner in Darrelle Revis. The guy is simply amazing. Great job in giving up a small amount to what may end up bing a faster version of Ty law. This was a great great pick. The pick of David Harris was also great. He is a stud LB with great east west speed and will help out Vilmma tremendously. These ar two probowl picks we got...for comparetively little. Jacob Bender is a stud Ol who will challenge for a starting spot. I am telling you folks, this guy was way undervalueed by Mel Kiper, etc. We got him in the 6th when he was 3rd round value. I like the final pick of stuckey...he had some injury problems for the Tigers, but when healthy he is a great slot WR. He should replace Mcareins. Overall, we did the best job af any AFC East team.

Patsies B: Did ok overall. Nice value in giving up a 4th for Moss. I also liked thre 1st riund slection of Meriweather. The selction of Kareem Brown was also a good value pick. Nothing else they did was worth mentioning. Pretty avergae at best, and most scrubs who will be cut come August 231st.

Bills C-: They reached on the 1st selection of Marshawn Lynch at RB. He could have been had in the 2nd round. This was a waste of value. They had a nice pick of Paul Poslusny in the 2nd round, and Trent Edwards in the 3rd wasn't bad. Overall a slightly below average day for Marv Levy and those geezers.

Dolphins F: They had by far one of the worst drafts in NFL history. They blew a chance at a top QB in Brady Quinn and instead reached for a unpolished WR who may be injurd well into the 2007 season. Ginn is still in a boot and wont be ready till August At BEST. There selction of John Beck at Qb is laughable. He was a 5th round pick in my book and is only trading camp fodder for most teams. They did not have another meaniingful pick in the draft and overall are being crucified by the national media. It is awesome to watch how they are getting killed.

So, I think as this draft ends, we all should feel good. The patsies have made alot off season splash but it is all BS. There wiill be no chemistry and those players will implode. We will overtake them for th AFC East.

F. Moga III

I hope that in your profession you are not responisble for making evaluations of any kind what so ever that is utterly and disrespectfully bias and wrong, the only one you came close with was Miami, this is the type of post that allows others to take shots at Jet fans, now put the bong down and step away from your computer, I vote for a 3 day timeout.

Dr.Moga,

I like the Jets picks also,but I'm taking a wait and see approach,calling them sure fire pro bowlers is a little much,don't you think?

Bill.......yeah, sure fire "probowlers" is a bit much....BUT we defintely got quality over quantity and people need to start realizing that...

MOga

Bill.......yeah, sure fire "probowlers" is a bit much....BUT we defintely got quality over quantity and people need to start realizing that...

MOga

I agree with that Frank..

Oh..BTW..welcome to JN. ;)

Are you permabanned over at the other joint?

I agree with that Frank..

Oh..BTW..welcome to JN. ;)

Are you permabanned over at the other joint?

You know it is funny...but I tried to sign on a few times this past week and found that I couldn't do so. Guess I was banned for something.....don't know for sure. It is ok though, plenty of sites to get Jets information. It's all good.

Moga

You know it is funny...but I tried to sign on a few times this past week and found that I couldn't do so. Guess I was banned for something.....don't know for sure. It is ok though, plenty of sites to get Jets information. It's all good.

Moga

don't rack your brain trying to figure out the reason-- 9 times out of 10 there isn't one. they just have to keep blood in the water to keep the peasants in fear. your number must've just been up. their loss, our gain. welcome aboard!

don't rack your brain trying to figure out the reason-- 9 times out of 10 there isn't one. they just have to keep blood in the water to keep the peasants in fear. your number must've just been up. their loss, our gain. welcome aboard!

Thanks dude....I plen to become an active member here and help this board prosper. I don't begrudge anyone for banning me, as it is a privately owned site....but at least give me a f-ing explanation.

It came out of nowhere. I guess my number was indeed up. I can live with it.

Moga

Moga:

Love your posts on that other Jets site- nice to see you over here.

Well, I just found out that I was permanetly banned from that site.....LOL (didn't even know it, thought somthing was wrong with my browser). I am not even quit sure why...but am getting filled in now.

Oh well, that's cool.....I will be posting on this site from now on though.

Regards,

Franklin Moga III, MD FACS

Well, I just found out that I was permanetly banned from that site.....LOL (didn't even know it, thought somthing was wrong with my browser). I am not even quit sure why...but am getting filled in now.

Oh well, that's cool.....I will be posting on this site from now on though.

Regards,

Franklin Moga III, MD FACS

Nice. As for me, I never registered on JI... too much politics and too much OT on the main board. I don't post much here but this is my J-E-T-S home for news and info.

Nice. As for me, I never registered on JI... too much politics and too much OT on the main board. I don't post much here but this is my J-E-T-S home for news and info.

Yeah, defintely a "who's in the clique" board. Different rules for different folks. The women of the board and other stepfords can go around and call people losers and morons, but if someone NOT in the clique does it, they get banned...:banned: LOL. It is all good though. Glad to call this place home now.

F the patsies.

F. Moga III, MD FACS

Archived