Patriot have best front office in NFL

LionelRichie

hands down.

every year they improve the team and position themselves for the future. rarely do you see the pats overpay for a player or make costly mistakes that result in dead cap $. this year they added a thomas, moss, merriweather, stalworth AND 49ers #1 next year.

hands down.

every year they improve the team and position themselves for the future. rarely do you see the pats overpay for a player or make costly mistakes that result in dead cap $. this year they added a thomas, moss, merriweather, stalworth AND 49ers #1 next year.

Yeah, that sucks....why remind us of the obvious.

Moga III, MD

it's time for the patriots to suck.the new dynasty will be the new york jets.I love the way tanny and his cohorts are building the jets.lets face it.this is only tannys second year as g.m.look at all the changes he has made since he took over.whew,this guy is a man of action.

hands down.

They handle the draft better than anyone I've seen. I'm gonna wait for the a thomas and moss moves, I don't think they'll turn out as good as people think.

You know what, I'm just not buying it. Adalius Thomas was "that other LB" on BAL until his contract year. I'm not saying he's bad, but he is certainly not nearly as good as the hype he's gotten. You'd think he's a top 5 LB by the way people talk. As to their draft, sure they picked up a 1st next year, but they lost one of their firsts this year. 6 one way, half dozen the other if you ask me. Stallworth has been a lifetime underacheiver and even Moss has question marks. None of their moves are slam dunk no brainers. If they all pan out then yeah, this is a very dangerous team. But then again, WAS would have been a very dangerous team if all their recent big splashes panned out too.

You know what, I'm just not buying it. Adalius Thomas was "that other LB" on BAL until his contract year. I'm not saying he's bad, but he is certainly not nearly as good as the hype he's gotten. You'd think he's a top 5 LB by the way people talk. As to their draft, sure they picked up a 1st next year, but they lost one of their firsts this year. 6 one way, half dozen the other if you ask me. Stallworth has been a lifetime underacheiver and even Moss has question marks. None of their moves are slam dunk no brainers. If they all pan out then yeah, this is a very dangerous team. But then again, WAS would have been a very dangerous team if all their recent big splashes panned out too.

Good point. Heart-attack over. THNX.

The Patriots have jumped the shark. They won an awful lot without these big name moves. They are just trying to win it all this year at any price. Because they know year three of the Mangini regime is going to be perfection.

i agree on thomas, i think that was probably the weakest move they made. moss for a 4th and adding a #1 next year are solid. not to mention that most of their high draft picks are starting right now.

i hate the pats but you have to give them credit 9 out of 10 moves they make are solid

They are good. Of all their big name moves, the quietly great move is that they had the foresight to draft a DT who can back up Wilfork at NT. There are some teams like the jets who dont have one bona fide NT and the Pats made sure they have depth there. They are smart.

hands down.

Keep in mind that the traded away a first rounder this year to get that first rounder next year. Also, beisdes Merriweather who did they draft that was all that good?

Good offseason for the Patsies but they really coould have done better with their draft picks. Wes Welker? Come on now.

I wonder why the 49ers would give a 4th this year and probably a higher first next year for the 28th pick?

A second rounder this year is worth a first rounder next year, That's why the 49ers got the better end of the deal. If we were talking about Oakland's first rounder I see your point but the Niners will probably make the playoffs.

A first rounder this year is worth a second rounder next year, That's why the 49ers got the better end of the deal. If we were talking about Oakland's first rounder I see your point but the Niners will probably make the playoffs.

You have it backwards Hasty. A 2nd rounder this year is worth a 1st rounder next year. That's why NE got more than next year's 1st rounder for this year's 1st rounder.

The thing about the Pats front office is that they don't have to tell you how good they are. They just go about their business and get it done.

There is no catering to teh media, telling you how smart they are. They let the performance on the field speak for itself.

All of that said, they are loaded for bear this year. It does just make you wonder what is going on behind closed doors and what the succession plan is here.

Maybe the Mangini ascension was close at hand, and his defection did scutlle some plans. Who knows?

You have to give them credit even if you do not like the Pats-they have had a plan and worked within it to build their team-with more cap space they have used it to try to make them better- a change of philosophy we will see if it works.

The thing about the Pats front office is that they don't have to tell you how good they are. They just go about their business and get it done.

There is no catering to teh media, telling you how smart they are. They let the performance on the field speak for itself.

All of that said, they are loaded for bear this year. It does just make you wonder what is going on behind closed doors and what the succession plan is here.

Maybe the Mangini ascension was close at hand, and his defection did scutlle some plans. Who knows?

now it comes out that moss is playing for peanuts this year. even the player's perception around the leaugue is that NE is a 1st class organization and players take less $ to go there. i am surprised they haven't paid samuel but my guess is that he wants too much $ so its 1 year and out for him and then they use san fran's #1 next year to grab a new CB.

I wonder why the 49ers would give a 4th this year and probably a higher first next year for the 28th pick?

Anyone else hoping the Niners lose to the Jets in the superbowl? If for no other reason than screwing the Pats?

You have it backwards Hasty. A 2nd rounder this year is worth a 1st rounder next year. That's why NE got more than next year's 1st rounder for this year's 1st rounder.

The point value distribuition within the first round is simply too great to allow that comment to be true in all cases. The first pick in the 2nd round is not worth the first pick over all next year.

I think in any business swapping an asset with a known present day value for an asset with a known value on a future date will involve the paying of a premium from the present day asset buyer to the present day asset seller. The buyer after all has the use of the asset in the mean time. Then you need to deal with the fact that the future asset does not in fact have a "known" value at all because of the uncertainly about where within the round exactly that pick will occur. This is equivalent to futire interest rate risk in the financial world IMO. I think the #28 overall is probably "worth" around the #20 overall next year. I think the Pats are rolling the dice that in the worst case the 49'ers are a wild card team in '07 and the trade ends up being value for value. In the best case for the Pats, the 49'ers implode like the Redskins did this year the pick is WAYYYY better than that. The 4th rounder was a pot sweetener.

The point value distribuition within the first round is simply too great to allow that comment to be true in all cases. The first pick in the 2nd round is not worth the first pick over all next year.

I think in any business swapping an asset with a known present day value for an asset with a known value on a future date will involve the paying of a premium from the present day asset buyer to the present day asset seller. The buyer after all has the use of the asset in the mean time. Then you need to deal with the fact that the future asset does not in fact have a "known" value at all because of the uncertainly about where within the round exactly that pick will occur. This is equivalent to futire interest rate risk in the financial world IMO. I think the #28 overall is probably "worth" around the #20 overall next year. I think the Pats are rolling the dice that in the worst case the 49'ers are a wild card team in '07 and the trade ends up being value for value. In the best case for the Pats, the 49'ers implode like the Redskins did this year the pick is WAYYYY better than that. The 4th rounder was a pot sweetener.

I wasn't speaking of inherent value; only the guideline that teams use when making draft-day trades.

If you're a 4th-rounder short in a trade, generally the other team accepts next year's 3rd-rounder as compensation & assumes it to be in the same slot as this year. 15th pick in round 4 this year carries the same trade value as 15th pick in the 3rd round next year.

For first-rounders, it's less black & white.

it's time for the patriots to suck.the new dynasty will be the new york jets.I love the way tanny and his cohorts are building the jets.lets face it.this is only tannys second year as g.m.look at all the changes he has made since he took over.whew,this guy is a man of action.

"the new dynasty will be the new york jets".

ROFLMAO!!!!! First start with a QB that can throw an out pattern.

but yes, the Pats are amazing. I don't know what it is or how they do it. Damn, they're evil.

but yes, the Pats are amazing. I don't know what it is or how they do it. Damn, they're evil.

If the dolphins go 15-1 I'll cut off my right testicle.

Hey!! Look who's wife let him out of the basement!! Got all your chores done early today, ehh DW?

hands down.

Last year the arguably cost themselves a trip back to a winnable SB by holding WR tryouts rather than keeping Brady's favorite player.

Last year the arguably cost themselves a trip back to a winnable SB by holding WR tryouts rather than keeping Brady's favorite player.

i am not seeing the logic there. the pats made it to the afc championship game and blew a monster lead. blowing that lead certainly had nothing to do with branch being gone. if anything branch's play this season showed he was more of a "system" player than a true #1 wr.

the pats effectively traded branch for moss + 49ers '08 1st rd pick AND still made it to the afc championship game.

Archived