Phil hughes

Arsis

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! he was pitching lights out!!

You know damn well that they are gonna put him on the DL, they're not gonna mees around with this kid after that have coveted him so.

He looks awesome . .. Hughes, Wang and Humberto Sanchez will anchor the rotation in 2008. Watch out, young arms are a brewing!!!

There's no way he could have held the no hitter with a pulled hamstring anyway.

I bet torre told him to fake an injury so he doesn't look like an ass taking him out of the game with a no hitter, that's what I hope at least.

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! he was pitching lights out!!

You know damn well that they are gonna put him on the DL, they're not gonna mees around with this kid after that have coveted him so.

He looks awesome . .. Hughes, Wang and Humberto Sanchez will anchor the rotation in 2008. Watch out, young arms are a brewing!!!

When does Johan hit free agency?

That was as good as gone the minute Hughes left. I was actually worried about them blowing game.

:character42:

You're not the only one, they gave up two runs in a row and I thought "here we go again"

No way - if he left the 7th at 80 pitches and a no-hitter in tact, he wasn't coming out out unless they dragged him out.

He was leaving the game after that inning. He's already left no hitters in the minors more than once because of pitch counts. This is not a guy you screw around with.

There's no way he could have held the no hitter with a pulled hamstring anyway.

Exactly. Why hurt himself more?

BTW - Cashman said in the postgame that they believe it's a hamstring, and that Hughes did the same thing in high school. Said they'd do the MRI tomorrow. I'm not buying the ACL story. Don't panic yet.

Who is the Yankees trainer?

That guy needs to be fired.

No doubt.

I'm impressed with Hughes. He had a real shot at a no-hitter. His pitch count was low, and he had the poise of a veteran out there.

If Pettite goes down with an injury, they will be calling for the trainer's head.

He was leaving the game after that inning. He's already left no hitters in the minors more than once because of pitch counts. This is not a guy you screw around with.

Torre was quoted in this mornings papers that he was staying in at least until 100 pitches, which would have gotten him through 8, the way he was going.

No use speculating over it now though. Just gotta hope he can stay in shape throwing-wise, so he can come back on a mimimal of rehab starts. But I wanted him in the rotation for the next month or so at least. We start with the Chi-Sox on May 15th, and over the next 3 weeks we play 7 games in Chicago, 3 against the Mets in Shea, 3 at Fenway, 3 at Toronto, and home against the Bosox and Angels. That is a tough stretch. From May 15th through June 7th.

Torre's comments today state he was at a count where he would have come back out.

He was on a 100 pitch count but with a no hitter in tack I am sure he would have been allowed another dozen pitches if needed.

From Newsday

Before Hughes' injury, the team already believed he could go all the way. He was only at 83 pitches, and they had planned for him to throw 100.

The feeling, Torre said, was: "Like it was going to happen. That was the sense in the dugout. We didn't talk about it, but I think everybody couldn't wait for him to get out there again."

The trainer should be should, guy is a moron. I hope it's a hamstring and this can be back by june because he showed some real promise.

It has nothing to do with the trainer. Gene Monahan has been here for ages. It is the conditioning coach. His experience with Baseball players is/was limited.

Archived