Leonard Peters the Samoan Warrior...

rick34125

nice post on TJB about safety Leonard Peters from Hawaii. He reminds me of Troy Palomalu from the Steelers. Like the post says if he stays healthy he will be a nice pickup. i think he could challenge eric coleman

Here's the post from thejetsblog. check out the video:

Film Room: Profile of a Warrior

WciMUUbigxY

Samoan warrior hair, warband tatoos … leading the team in warrior chants, ceremonial fire-knife dances, wearing jersey’s inside out as a reminder where he came from … is this kid for real? IF he can stay healthy, he could be a very nice pickup, and potentially a very sweet complement to the secondary. If you want to know why Mangini promised they wouldn’t draft a Safety in the last round, watch this video, and you’ll see why.

More Leonard Peters Videos:

If this guy was so good then why did he go undrafted? Just a thought you all should think about.

Erik Coleman is not going to get unseated by anybody and if he does it will be by Eric Smith.

If this guy was so good then why did he go undrafted? Just a thought you all should think about..

small school, injuries... but this guy is one of the hardest hitting safeties in college football

Erik Coleman is not going to get unseated by anybody and if he does it will be by Eric Smith

maybe not, but it will be interesting to see what happens. i like the energy he brings to the game and his reckless abandon on the field. just what this jets team needs, besides he's fun to watch.

If this guy was so good then why did he go undrafted? Just a thought you all should think about.

Erik Coleman is not going to get unseated by anybody and if he does it will be by Eric Smith.

He was injured a lot in college.

Peters was a tremendous football player at Hawaii. No doubt about that. He was also very well coached, as the Warriors staff is a "who's-who" of former prominent N.F.L. and U.S.F.L. coaches -- June Jones, Jerry Glanville, Mouse Davis, ect. That's, perhaps, why Hawaii prospects get so much respect on draft weekend.

I've followed Peters closely since 2004 @ draftdaddy.com and I can tell you the reason why he was drafted: N.F.L. teams consider him a "tweener".

He's got the size and build of a strong safety (6' 210); but has the speed of a linebacker 4.73 40/ and ran a fairly poor 4.62 short shuttle at Hawaii's Pro Day, held outside of Los Angeles.

He, actually, reminds me a lot of current Arizona Cardinals safety Aaron Francisco, who may've been with the Jets as a undrafted rookie (I don't remember).

Like Fransisco, he can make a team and he can have a career in the N.F.L., but it won't be easy. It rarely ever is for undrafted players.

BTY, Peters could make a ton of money outside of football -- he's a pro polynesian dancer and could dabble in some sort of Island show biz.

from patriots.com...

Leonard Peters, Hawaii (6-1, 210) – I just put Peters on the list as a possible late-round selection because of the way he plays. Peters is a human missile who fires himself at anything that moves. He’ll probably only last three years in the NFL before being forced to retire because of concussions but he’ll be fun to watch and a heck of a special teams player during that time.

another interesting note on Peters, an excerpt from an ESPNSportsnation interview with Reggie Bush prior to last years draft...

Dave, Omaha: Who is the toughest team you've played all year? Who is the best player (offense or defense) you've played against?

sn2.gifReggie Bush: Toughest team this year was probably Notre Dame -- although I hate to admit it. (laughs) They took us all the way down to the wire and gave us a run for our money. We made a lot of mistakes too, to give them the chance to remain in it. As for the toughest player, I don't know. The guy that sticks out is #42, the safety for Hawaii, he was just everywhere, involved in everything. I don't know his name but he was fast and he was a great player and everytime I got tackled, he was there.

here's the link: http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10028

The Jets only had 4 draft picks.

UDFA's have a much higher chance then normal to make the team. A guy like Peters who really gives his body up for the team is sure to impress Mangini.

If the guy has anything, he has a better then average chance to make the roster

The Jets only had 4 draft picks.

UDFA's have a much higher chance then normal to make the team. A guy like Peters who really gives his body up for the team is sure to impress Mangini.

If the guy has anything, he has a better then average chance to make the roster

I agree but in the NFL he has to play within the system. Its seem at Hawaii

they let him free lance. That can be exploited in the NFL.

I agree but in the NFL he has to play within the system. Its seem at Hawaii

they let him free lance. That can be exploited in the NFL.

i wasn't free lancing. if he was to free lance they might have won more games. in college freelancers have more impact case in point lavaar arrington

exactly.Smith will start before anyone else does over EC.

What more is there to say, kid's a safety, has played it all along, no reason to think that won't continue.

If someone has the size and speed that is better suited to play at a different position, chances are he plays that position.

However, there's far more contact with a LB then a SS, and with his injury problems SS is, IMO, the best option.

If someone has the size and speed that is better suited to play at a different position, chances are he plays that position.

very true! this kid has the mold of a beast of a LB, a bit slow for safety, but always on the ball . . . why aren't Brad Smith, Randle El, Hines Ward, Matt Jones, etc. playing the postion they've always played???

Different players, different situations, see my other post, LB with Peters style is gonna more then likely result in more injuries, and I'm of the opinion, with Peters, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

very true! this kid has the mold of a beast of a LB, a bit slow for safety, but always on the ball . . . why aren't Brad Smith, Randle El, Hines Ward, Matt Jones, etc. playing the postion they've always played???

Archived