Sox injury list expands.

PFSIKH

It is great to see them overcome so much.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/05/04/timlin_placed_on_dl_with_shoulder_tendinitis/

By Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff | May 4, 2007

The Red Sox announced before last night's game against the Mariners that Mike Timlin, who earned his first save of the season Wednesday against Oakland, was placed on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder tendinitis.

Article Tools

It's not the first time the 41-year-old righthander has shown the wear and tear of a 17-year major league career. He started the season on the DL with a strained left oblique and was activated for the home opener April 10. Now, less than a month later, he's headed back to the DL.

"It's been there for a while," said Timlin. "We tried to get past it. There were times it would loosen up, as tendinitis tends to do, there were times that it wouldn't. We figured this might be a good time to let it settle down."

With the pain more than the normal aches pitchers endure, the shoulder was examined by doctors yesterday. There is no timetable for Timlin's return.

"If it was the middle of August, I think we'd try to go ahead and pitch through it, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense right now," said manager Terry Francona. "We shut him down for a couple weeks, maybe we can get Timlin back. That's the thought, to get him back and let him be Timlin."

Timlin has struggled this season after an unimpressive second half to 2006. Timlin has amassed a 6.23 ERA this season, having allowed at least one run in four of his nine appearances.

"Guys are throwing the ball well," Timlin said. "I'm not to say expendable, but the way the guys are throwing right now, this is a good time to take."

Devern Hansack, 29, was called up from Pawtucket to fill Timlin's spot, but threw a side session yesterday, making him unavailable last night, as was closer Jonathan Papelbon.

Lester sighting

Jon Lester made his second appearance in the Red Sox clubhouse this season, arriving early in the afternoon to spend some time working with assistant trainer Mike Reinold on his left forearm after experiencing cramping in his start for Pawtucket Wednesday.

Francona wasn't sure why Lester experienced the cramping, despite Lester's guess of dehydration, though he did hazard a bit of speculation, including a grip on the ball that could have caused fatigue.

"It's just like getting a cramp in your hamstring or in your leg or whatever," Lester said. "It's nothing major. Just one of those things that happened. As far as I know, I've got another start. Don't know when. Hopefully, it's just maybe a day or two pushed back. Hopefully, it will be fine, get back to pitching, and get that pitch count back up."

Lester was seen by Dr. Thomas Gill before last night's game, and Gill found nothing more than cramping in the forearm. The Sox brass will sit down with Lester, whose rehab assignment ends today, over the weekend to map out a course of action for the lefthander.

"I can't wait to see him out there pitching again," Papelbon said. "Hopefully, the crowd will welcome him back with open arms. I'm sure they will. It's pretty awesome. It's amazing to think he could come back and beat that. If he can do that and we can be a team behind him and do that, there's no reason why we can't go and win the World Series, in my opinion."

That might be a little premature. Still, the team is looking forward to getting Lester back in the rotation. And so is Lester.

"Oh, yeah, personal timetable was two months ago," Lester said. "But the team has a timetable and they need to make their decision on when I'm ready."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are gritty for a small market team. Nothing short of amazing.

Very very true.

It is amazing they are still in first with no starting pitching, no hitting and now injuries.

Wait a minite. Wait a minute. I have a hard time keeping up.

What is the rule regarding postingin baseball. You AREW allowed to post about your own team, but not others. OR, is is you are NOT allowed to post about your own team, ONLY others.

This is so hard with the rules the kids have set up.

What is the rule regarding postingin baseball. You AREW allowed to post about your own team, but not others. OR, is is you are NOT allowed to post about your own team, ONLY others.

SD- you're allowed to post whatever the crap you want.. you just can't get all upset when someone calls you out for starting blatantly obsessive/obnoxious/unthoughtful/useless posts about another team. I think. :Typotux:

The Mets use d 13 starting pitchers last year. THIRTEEN.

Quit your crying.

Some of that was with Trades, like the mid-seaon move for Perez.

Besides, on Monday, in their 30th game of the season, the Yankees will start their 10th different pitcher, a record for most different starters in such a short time. And 4 of them will have been rookies making their 1st ML start (Hughes, Igawa, Wright, DeSalvo). 2 others have made less than 10 starts in their careers (Rasner and Kartsens).

All 6 of these folks qualify as Rookies.

And 1 other is someone who does not exist, or hasn't for almost 2 years (Pavano).

Now that is amazing.

Good thing that they have the wherewithall with $$$ to develop a top of the line farm system.

Mussina, Wang, Pettitre-Missing time with injuries? Who could have predicted that?

The yankees have the best farm system in baseball for pitching.

Good thing that they have the wherewithall with $$$ to develop a top of the line farm system.

Mussina, Wang, Pettitre-Missing time with injuries? Who could have predicted that?

You do not need $$$ to develop a top of the line farm system. ever here of the Expos or Marlins?

Up until recently, the Yankees farm system has been one the worst in the MLB...

Poor Red Sox. What shall the small market, no funds team do?

Team Hitters Pitchers Total KG

1. Devil Rays 858.8 458.6 1317.4 1

2. Yankees 410.8 638.8 1049.6 4

3. Angels 593.4 411.5 1004.9 3

4. Twins 605.4 377.6 983.0 12

5. D'Backs 681.3 269.0 950.3 6

Not only are they the best in terms of pitching but they are the best by 30%.

Not only are they the best in terms of pitching but they are the best by 30%.

That's pretty impressive.

Here's my list.

Yankees 12

Red Sox 14

Mets 11

DRays 15

Cubs 8

You do not need $$$ to develop a top of the line farm system. ever here of the Expos or Marlins?

Up until recently, the Yankees farm system has been one the worst in the MLB...

Poor Red Sox. What shall the small market, no funds team do?

The Expos and Marlins spent a lot of money in developing their systems.

Even moreso, they traded some of their talent for near-ready prospects. They both did a good job in discerning good prospects from poor ones.

But, don't be confused. The Yankees (and some others, Mets included) have a HUGE advantage over other clubs in terms of developing players and the abilty to get players into the system.

The list is sorted by overall ranking. The Drays are no 1 overall but as you can see the yankees are no 1 for pitching.

Like you, I just felt like throwing some arbitrary numbers out there.

Mine make just as much sense as yours.

Of course. You don't like the numbers so they are meaningless.

They're meaningless because they have no meaning. Where are they from? What do they denote?

I'll try again.

Giants-73

White Sox-134

Twins-.8

Braves-3.14

Jets-19

Mike is undoubtedly correct on this one. According to Baseball Prospectus the Yankees have the 4th best farm system overall, and are 18th in hitting and 1st in pitching.

This is just another thread Thor and SD are trolling in.

Mike is undoubtedly correct on this one. According to Baseball Prospectus the Yankees have the 4th best farm system overall, and are 18th in hitting and 1st in pitching.

Mason-We are sorry that it pains you so much to have anyone speak poorly about the team that you follow, or offer other points of view.

In the future, we will consider your thin skin.

Mason-We are sorry that it pains you so much to have anyone speak poorly about the team that you follow, or offer other points of view.

In the future, we will consider your thin skin.

You're allowed to say whatever you want but when you say stuff that is COMPLETE BS, like implying that the yankees have no pitching in their farm system, you are going to get called out on it.

They are obviously farm system rankings...

Obviously?

Where in that post does it say anything about what those numbers mean? Looks pretty arbitrary to me.

He may be right. The Yanks have done a good job at rebuilding thier farm system. There is no doubt about that.

I was just pointing out the fact that mike posted a bunch of numbers that didn't have any meaning or explanation.

Yes you did. Thats exactly what this post is implying.

Yes you did. Thats exactly what this post is implying.

Am I missing something? How is that implying that the Yankees have no pitching in their farm?

hahaha

The Freedom of Press POTW nominee

Archived