microsoft trying to buy yahoo.

joebabyny

article here

Microsoft is terrified of google and what their idea is for the future of computing. If I am yahoo, there is no way I want to merge with MSFT, this would be a death bell for both companies. MSFT can afford to buy yhoo, but it would seriously put a dent in their cash box. This would just lead to a pretty exciting hyper-competition in the internet sector, with microsoft fighting the tide of google's idea of a software-less computing experience, and msft's desire to tie the internet into their biggest products, windows and office.

Interesting...

XM and Sirius....

AT&T and Everyone

Dont we have laws against this sort of stuff?

Well, xm and sirius is far from done deal, and a lot of people are now saying it won't happen.

MSFT+YHOO=time warner+AOL=bad idea

Well, xm and sirius is far from done deal, and a lot of people are now saying it won't happen.

MSFT+YHOO=time warner+AOL=bad idea

I think AT&T needs to be broken up again too.

The key to survival is to get bigger and bigger

Not really... there is a point where it becomes very inefficient and the costs are passed on to customers... resulting in losses of your core customer base... then when you try to go back the way you were... its too late...

The key to survival is to get bigger and bigger

Well, yes and no, there has to be a synergy there. Just buying up yahoo and slapping the microsoft name on it and making it work to further MSFT's gameplan will not help them. Google is going to push into the application/virtual os market, how is msft going to compete with that? IF this is how they intend to compete with google, by buying google's main competitor, then they will only make google stronger by eliminating google's most dangerous competitor in yahoo. I just don't see how this will really benefit msft or yhoo.

What i do see is that all those displaced yhoo shareholders will be looking to roll their money into other internet stocks, it could be the beginning of another internet stock push.

Well, yes and no, there has to be a synergy there. Just buying up yahoo and slapping the microsoft name on it and making it work to further MSFT's gameplan will not help them. Google is going to push into the application/virtual os market, how is msft going to compete with that? IF this is how they intend to compete with google, by buying google's main competitor, then they will only make google stronger by eliminating google's most dangerous competitor in yahoo. I just don't see how this will really benefit msft or yhoo.

What i do see is that all those displaced yhoo shareholders will be looking to roll their money into other internet stocks, it could be the beginning of another internet stock push.

I like Microsoft. I really do. But the world is going to be a better place when we refer to them like we did AT&T the past few years. Remember when.... (Yes I know about AT&T and cellular but you get the point).

Anyhow I didn't read this article but I know the MS isn't happy about Google's plan to compete with Microsoft Office. Everything has come down in price. Yet Office is still crazy in price. Why? Because it is the standard.

Time for a change. MSFT buying Yahoo will be a joke.

I like Microsoft. I really do. But the world is going to be a better place when we refer to them like we did AT&T the past few years. Remember when.... (Yes I know about AT&T and cellular but you get the point).

Anyhow I didn't read this article but I know the MS isn't happy about Google's plan to compete with Microsoft Office. Everything has come down in price. Yet Office is still crazy in price. Why? Because it is the standard.

Time for a change. MSFT buying Yahoo will be a joke.

This was a pretty interesting and entertaining interview that Gates did right at the vista launch

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

He really tries to bash apple, but for those of you who know OSX, when he sits there and mentions the features like Sidebar and its ability to handle large amounts of photos, HD movies and DVD burning as major reasons for upgrading to vista, it really is kinda funny. Ilife has been doing the photo/hdmovie editing/dvd burning for years. And sidebar, well that is a little desktop mini-application system to run gadgets. Well, OSX has had their own gadgets, called widgets, and their own sidebar, called dashboard, for a while know. MSFT can't even make up interesting names for the ideas they take.

Well, this isn't about another apple/windows argument, the real reason for my post here is the last page of the interview, where he talks about the next major windows release, in 2011, where he talks about everything pretty much being online and available from everywhere. He even says "That means that right now when you move from one PC to another, you've got to install apps on each one, do upgrades on each one. Moving information between them is very painful." Now, if that doesn't sound what google is already accomplishing with their office apps and gmail, then i am crazy.

This was a pretty interesting and entertaining interview that Gates did right at the vista launch

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

He really tries to bash apple, but for those of you who know OSX, when he sits there and mentions the features like Sidebar and its ability to handle large amounts of photos, HD movies and DVD burning as major reasons for upgrading to vista, it really is kinda funny. Ilife has been doing the photo/hdmovie editing/dvd burning for years. And sidebar, well that is a little desktop mini-application system to run gadgets. Well, OSX has had their own gadgets, called widgets, and their own sidebar, called dashboard, for a while know. MSFT can't even make up interesting names for the ideas they take.

Well, this isn't about another apple/windows argument, the real reason for my post here is the last page of the interview, where he talks about the next major windows release, in 2011, where he talks about everything pretty much being online and available from everywhere. He even says "That means that right now when you move from one PC to another, you've got to install apps on each one, do upgrades on each one. Moving information between them is very painful." Now, if that doesn't sound what google is already accomplishing with their office apps and gmail, then i am crazy.

Do you ever have to interrupt typing these posts to yell, "NO! NO! NO! I said to cum on her FACE, dammit! Clean her up and let's try it again."?

Just wondering.

Do you ever have to interrupt typing these posts to yell, "NO! NO! NO! I said to cum on her FACE, dammit! Clean her up and let's try it again."?

Just wondering.

:lol:

Where is the damn fluffer?

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft Deal Makes Yahoo Buy More Likely, Noto Says (Update4)

By Jonathan Thaw

May 18 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp.'s plan to buy AQuantive Inc. for $6 billion increases the likelihood that the software maker will also buy Yahoo! Inc., Goldman Sachs Group Inc. analyst Anthony Noto said today.

Yahoo would plug a ``strategic hole'' at Microsoft that isn't filled by the purchase of AQuantive, announced today, Noto said in a note to clients. AQuantive, which creates Web ads and measures whether they reach the target audience, doesn't give Microsoft the roughly half a million advertisers required to compete against Google Inc., Noto said.

``We believe the odds of a deal happening over time actually increases,'' New York-based Noto wrote. ``Microsoft is willing to do deals that are a strategic necessity.''

Shares of Sunnyvale, California-based Yahoo rose $1.18, or 4.1 percent, to $29.75 at 4 p.m. in Nasdaq Stock Market trading. They have risen 16 percent this year.

Yahoo, owner of the most-visited U.S. Internet site, and Microsoft, the world's biggest software maker, have held talks about a partnership for Web search and ad programs, people briefed on the discussions said this month. Yahoo shares jumped as much as 19 percent on May 4 on reports that Microsoft wanted to buy the company.

Is Yahoo Willing?

Whether Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft buys Yahoo depends on whether Yahoo is willing to sell, Noto wrote. Yahoo spokeswoman Joanna Stevens and Microsoft spokesman Adam Sohn declined to comment.

Microsoft shares, up 3.3 percent this year, dropped 15 cents to $30.83. AQuantive surged 78 percent to $63.79 after the announcement that Microsoft plans to pay $66.50 a share in cash for the company.

For some other analysts, Microsoft's plans make a purchase of Yahoo less likely. While the deal shows Microsoft's commitment to online advertising, it may take months to incorporate AQuantive's operations, Merrill Lynch & Co. analyst Justin Post wrote today in a note.

That would make a purchase of Yahoo less likely within the next three months, he said.

``We have yet to identify a number two buyer that could get the same synergies or strategic value with Yahoo that we can envision with Microsoft,'' San Francisco-based Post wrote.

ValueClick

Shares of ValueClick Inc., the Internet's second-biggest advertising broker, rose $2.12, or 7.6 percent, to $30 in Nasdaq trading. The shares touched their highest ever value in intraday trading since the company's initial public offering in 2000.

Consolidation in the online ad industry and products from Google and Yahoo for selling ads in online auctions may pressure Westlake Village, California-based ValueClick to sell itself, Richard Fetyko, an analyst Merriman Curhan Ford & Co., wrote today in a note to clients.

Potential suitors for ValueClick may include IAC/Interactive Corp., New York-based Fetyko said. IAC, the Internet and media company assembled by billionaire Barry Diller, owns sites including Ask.com and LendingTree.com.

ValueClick spokesman Gary Fuges didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

Archived