Migraines and Bad Headaches, Relate 'Em Here

jetophile

Holy Smokes, I had the mother of all mothers on 04/21/07. It was almost as bad as when I emerged from a coma after bacterial meningitis. I had severe brain swelling, and this felt damn close. I get at least one whopper a year, but this was my third since June of '06.

So Fri. night on 04/20 I keep hitting the aspirin in the middle of the night. Whether I had my eyes opened or closed, I'd see spots in my periphery. I never really fall asleep, and Imitrex, that doesn't work. By 8:00 a.m., I'm moaning and rocking back and forth in bed, sweating like hell. I feel the urge to puke, run to the bathroom and dry heave. Nothing.

I lay back down and start crying and beg to die. Surely my brain is being crushed within my skull. I am so nauseous I can hardly breathe. I'm paralyzed in bed, can't eat or drink. The light stabs me, excruciating. I turn on a table fan for white noise and to dry the sweat. Covers on, now cold. Cover offs, sweating again. I went to bed on Friday night and couldn't physically get up until 5:00 p.m. Sunday. I had plans for the weekend and got screwed.

I felt weak until that Tuesday. I can't really trace it to food, but it does have a root in hormonal flux. Stress, sadness, worry, those seem to be the biggest triggers. I get headaches often, but migraines, damn. Anyone get these this badly? :bag:

Holy Smokes, I had the mother of all mothers on 04/21/07. It was almost as bad as when I emerged from a coma after bacterial meningitis. I had severe brain swelling, and this felt damn close. I get at least one whopper a year, but this was my third since June of '06.

So Fri. night on 04/20 I keep hitting the aspirin in the middle of the night. Whether I had my eyes opened or closed, I'd see spots in my periphery. I never really fall asleep, and Imitrex, that doesn't work. By 8:00 a.m., I'm moaning and rocking back and forth in bed, sweating like hell. I feel the urge to puke, run to the bathroom and dry heave. Nothing.

I lay back down and start crying and beg to die. Surely my brain is being crushed within my skull. I am so nauseous I can hardly breathe. I'm paralyzed in bed, can't eat or drink. The light stabs me, excruciating. I turn on a table fan for white noise and to dry the sweat. Covers on, now cold. Cover offs, sweating again. I went to bed on Friday night and couldn't physically get up until 5:00 p.m. Sunday. I had plans for the weekend and got screwed.

I felt weak until that Tuesday. I can't really trace it to food, but it does have a root in hormonal flux. Stress, sadness, worry, those seem to be the biggest triggers. I get headaches often, but migraines, damn. Anyone get these this badly? :bag:

Wow...that sound terrible. Don't have this problem but I feel for you!

I used to get really bad migranes. Man they were crippling. Couldn't figure out why I was getting them but it sucked. Had a bunch of medical tests, MRI of the brain etc and they didn't find anything wrong.

Now I just try to get more sleep and I keep Excedrine Migrane handy at all times. If I feel it coming on I pop two. But it is a rare event, haven't had one in a LONG time.

I get them, too. Imitrex is a miracle drug. Last Sunday, though, I had one that I couldn't kill despite taking Imitrex twice.

Had one, once, that made my arms and legs go numb. My wife took me to the ER, where they did a CT scan and gave me some injections that knocked out the headache and left me loopy for a day or so.

They're crippling, all right.

I get them, too. Imitrex is a miracle drug. Last Sunday, though, I had one that I couldn't kill despite taking Imitrex twice.

Had one, once, that made my arms and legs go numb. My wife took me to the ER, where they did a CT scan and gave me some injections that knocked out the headache and left me loopy for a day or so.

They're crippling, all right.

Sorry about that. Imitrex doesn't do it for me. Wonder why... Supposedly cold compress works for some, but I'm always too sick to put ice on my head. I should really look into it more. Alternative stuff, that is.

Most times I have to write or do stuff with only one eye open as its progressing. Do you ever get that? Sometimes one of my dogs will lick my feet when I'm groaning, and I find it strangely therapeutic. :P

migraines and headaches in general are terrible. like someone else said, imitrex or axert are great. as long as you catch them in time. you have to get them when you feel the first instance of a migraine, and you can only take up to 8 per month, which really sucks. i have had migraines and cluster and just everyday normal headaches since i was 2 or 3 years old. in middle and high school it got as bad as at least 1, many times 2 migraines per week. it has got better over the years, i only get a migraine once a month or sometimes less than that, but i still have some sort of headache EVERYDAY. the worst part of migraines are all the side effects that come with it, i get opposite tunnel vision, where the center is all black and i can only see out of my peripheral vision, it just makes me horribly sick all together.

sorry about your pain, i know it can be horrifying. i would really check into imitrex or axert though.

I used to get really bad migranes. Man they were crippling. Couldn't figure out why I was getting them but it sucked. Had a bunch of medical tests, MRI of the brain etc and they didn't find anything wrong.

Now I just try to get more sleep and I keep Excedrine Migrane handy at all times. If I feel it coming on I pop two. But it is a rare event, haven't had one in a LONG time.

That is the best thing going.

If I feel one coming on I pop about 4 of those.

ok...i have only had a few migraines... but my first was possibly my worst... believe it or not...it was the morning after my 21st bday... and yes... i thought it was a hangover... shots of tequila... amaretto sours... beer... and at least 2 cigars... OY! :shock: but it wasnt...i thought i had died ...

i had had massive hangovers before ... and this wasnt one of them...

after a trip to the hospital ...and a shot in the tush... that made me sleep for 14 hours...i was better..

i literally couldnt open my eyes...and any sound was too much...

i have a couple since then... but very infrequently and no none of the others were tied to alcohol or cigars.. :lol:

i am so sorry jp... i feel your pain.

...it has got better over the years, i only get a migraine once a month or sometimes less than that, but i still have some sort of headache EVERYDAY...

sorry about your pain, i know it can be horrifying. i would really check into imitrex or axert though.

I'm with you as to the frequency of the run of the mill sort. There's always some kind of mild dull ache going on if I'm sleeping poorly. Which is often. I sympathize with everyone in here, really. I'm usually more proactive about stuff, investigating all options. I know I saw some odd thing on TV once where you rub this stuff on your forehead. I'm of the school that as long as it isn't harmful or truly 'works' - as in truly and scientifically - what does it matter if you think it's helping? If you feel better, you feel better, so therefore it 'worked'. I think that can be said for many things.

I'm with you as to the frequency of the run of the mill sort. There's always some kind of mild dull ache going on if I'm sleeping poorly. Which is often. I sympathize with everyone in here, really. I'm usually more proactive about stuff, investigating all options. I know I saw some odd thing on TV once where you rub this stuff on your forehead. I'm of the school that as long as it isn't harmful or truly 'works' - as in truly and scientifically - what does it matter if you think it's helping? If you feel better, you feel better, so therefore it 'worked'. I think that can be said for many things.

Good lord girl, are you still getting those? Remember what I told ya, hormones are a b*tch! Other than that, how the heck are ya? :D

um, e-mail me, I lost your new one...(hangs head in shame)

Good lord girl, are you still getting those? Remember what I told ya, hormones are a b*tch! Other than that, how the heck are ya? :D

um, e-mail me, I lost your new one...(hangs head in shame)

PF! What's up girlfriend?! :) Funny about that new email address you lost. The service I was using just sent me notice that they're discontinuing the damn service. I kid you not; so I'm in the midst of switching AGAIN. What the frig. :bag:

Well, I better move fast, as it's half kaput now, fully kaput as of Monday. I can't decide whether to reconstitute an old gmail one that's still floating in space or if I should pick something new. Like this booger. :P

• 1 year later...

Holy Hell, this chit is coming down. So I'm standing in this field of tall Sweet Grass last night, and grab stalks on either side of me with both fists. Stars and vomiting. Last night about three a.m., I cradled my crushed skull in my hands on the couch in the dark, sweating and moaning. Crying, too. Day Two.

I take some everyday. If I do not, I can feel the one set of a migraine. rare is the day I get through without one.

Both of my eyes are watering now. It's gonna break soon.

i hope it broke... i have a low tolerance for pain and i just know how awful they are, so i feel for you jp, and hope you are better soon.

Magnesium. Thanks, Taborjet. I know about that. I have a bottle of it. The thing is, I don't do the right thing when I get signs. Because I'm arrogant and think I can beat it. And even when I'm sick, I'll type and stuff like that. Even when planes are landing in my head. Big planes. Even hearing the refrigerator door close is torture.

I think dealing with my Mom's family two weeks ago started it. It was the build up and a big release to share all of that with a close friend. I had a stomach virus last weekend. That same friend failed me, but I didn't learn of it until earlier this week. Why do I believe people? The height, width, depth and breadth of my stupidity knows no bounds. OK, that's what it was. A massive trigger.

Seriously, I don't even think I've ever gotten a headache. Or even a cold for that matter. I'm literally like immune to sickness and most pain.

• 1 month later...

Been fighting it and typing all day. It's why I get paid in the Hudson Valley. I was doing business on the phone at 2:00 p.m. Call waiting, the worst invention ever. "I love you." "...What?" "I love you." "Shut up, you're shouting." "I'm not." "My head is splitting..." "I know...Why else would I call to tell you to go fukk yourself?" "What a country!" *Click*! "Click*!

I lost a day at work. 18 yrs. married in October. Haha, great stuff.

Been fighting it and typing all day. It's why I get paid in the Hudson Valley. I was doing business on the phone at 2:00 p.m. Call waiting, the worst invention ever. "I love you." "...What?" "I love you." "Shut up, you're shouting." "I'm not." "My head is splitting..." "I know...Why else would I call to tell you to go fukk yourself?" "What a country!" *Click*! "Click*!

I lost a day at work. 18 yrs. married in October. Haha, great stuff.

Congrats!! you made it past the 17 year itch, 27 yrs for me in sept to the

same woman ..oh my

Congrats!! you made it past the 17 year itch, 27 yrs for me in sept to the

same woman ..oh my

Still waters run deep. He is reserved; possessed of inner strength. A cancer survivor and an Iron Man. Those fffffs are CRAZY.

He is bright and sharp, and sheds light wherever he walks. He's one of those rare beings, that even if you meet him for five minutes, you're touched. He's incredibly handsome, too. Doesn't look a day over a good 30. Self-effacing. And not just because I'm partial. We should make a point of making our brains collide more often, but I fukking HATE Hermann Hesse.

Still waters run deep. He is reserved; possessed of inner strength. A cancer survivor and an Iron Man. Those fffffs are CRAZY.

He is bright and sharp, and sheds light wherever he walks. He's one of those rare beings, that even if you meet him for five minutes, you're touched. He's incredibly handsome, too. Doesn't look a day over a good 30. Self-effacing. And not just because I'm partial. We should make a point of making our brains collide more often, but I fukking HATE Hermann Hesse.

Good for you, sounds like a great guy..hopefully a jet fan!

they say i don't look a day over 50!!!

Is he great or hot? Not that it makes a difference in matters of the pants. lol.

btw, I have a tremendous headache.

He's both. He has not one ounce of fat on his body. And, he can control his heartbeat. He'll run uphill on the treadmill full speed, and never get out of breath. It's incredible.

ironman03xz2.jpg

Hehe, RX goggles. After the swim exchange. Does anyone truly KNOW what the Iron Man Triathlon is?! Insanity. He almost bailed in torrential rain this year. Shivering to death in driving rain. I'm telling you, those fukkers are crazy.

He's both. He has not one ounce of fat on his body. And, he can control his heartbeat. He'll run uphill on the treadmill full speed, and never get out of breath. It's incredible.

ironman03xz2.jpg

Hehe, RX goggles. After the swim exchange. Does anyone truly KNOW what the Iron Man Triathlon is?! Insanity. He almost bailed in torrential rain this year. Shivering to death in driving rain. I'm telling you, those fukkers are crazy.

Only people crazier are the ones who run Ultra marathons..50 miles of

pure torture..i can not even imagine

Archived