Oil Can Boyd trying to make a comeback again

faba

Oil Can Boyd begins comeback

By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer

May 16, 2005

BROCKTON, Mass. (AP) -- Oil Can Boyd picked the perfect place to start his latest comeback attempt -- in the Can-Am League.

Making his first professional appearance since 1997, the former Boston Red Sox right-hander pitched three scoreless innings on Monday night for the Brockton Rox against the Worcester Tornadoes in the independent minor league. He struck out three, allowed one hit and walked two batters on eight straight pitches to start the second inning.

Pitching the exhibition season opener in 50-degree temperatures in front of a few hundred fans, the 45-year-old Boyd said he felt a twinge in his hamstring that kept him from throwing his fastball at full speed.

ADVERTISEMENT

``I'm trying to make a team with these young kids, so I've got to push it up there,'' he said. ``The weather up here won't let you loosen up.''

Boyd was 78-77 in a 10-year career with the Red Sox, Montreal Expos and Texas Rangers. He had 13 complete games with Boston in 1985, won 16 games in '86 and went 10-6 with a 2.93 ERA with the Expos in 1990.

Since leaving the majors after the 1991 season, Boyd has pitched in Mexico and various independent leagues. He last pitched for the unaffiliated Massachusetts Mad Dogs in '97.

Worcester manager Rich Gedman was Boyd's catcher on the Red Sox. Tornadoes pitching coach Bob Ojeda was a teammate in Boston in the early 1980s and was with the New York Mets when they beat the Red Sox in the 1986 World Series.

``It was kind of like a little reunion,'' Boyd said. ``I think he (Gedman) was tickled to death to see me out there. He was the love of my life in the game of baseball.''

Boyd is a non-roster invitee to the Rox spring training. He is competing for one of four veteran spots allowed for each Can-Am team.

You want to bet he is in better shape than Wells- at least 150 pounds lighter at least.

This guy probably weighs 140. Wells is definitely pushing the upper limits of 200 himself so it is close.

The difference is, RJ has had, and still has, a career.

45 is a little late to try to start one, but nobody ever accused Dennis Boyd of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Whether he has a career or not was never my point, Max was getting on him for the Sox going after old players when the Yanks got 42 year old RJ.

Personally, I would like to see Jesse Orosco make a comeback. [-o<

Whether he has a career or not was never my point, Max was getting on him for the Sox going after old players when the Yanks got 42 year old RJ.

Personally, I would like to see Jesse Orosco make a comeback. [-o<

The Yankees got younger in the rotation getting rid of El Duque, Wells etc and bringing in Pavano and Wright. Obviously RJ is different but you make exceptions for the top pitchers in the game.

The Sox with Wake, Schill and Wells are relying on a lot of 40 year olds. My point was that Oil Can would fit right in.

Archived