CLEMENS IS A YANKEE (Merged 2X)

AFJF

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah because i was wrong about every move this offseason... No Wait... I was right.

Yeah. You sure called that Randy Johnson thing. He's been tearing it up since he left, hasn't he?

The Yankees needed pitching and Clemens was the best pitcher available. A no-brainer for sure...

He's not the ace anymore, but who cares? The Yankees don't need an ace. Wang won 19 games last year. Pettitte is still damned good... etc. The Yankees need a pitcher who can consistently keep us in games. We've got the potential on offense to score 5+ runs every game, if Clemens can give up 4 or less, we'll win most of his starts.

What's the matter? The revived corpse of Babe Ruth wasn't available?

Dude, Babe Ruth was a brilliant lefty pitcher. If we could revive him frankenstein-style, I'd personally sow the #3 on the back of his shirt.

Madmike is always mad. I am starting to think he picked that user name for a reason!

With as much sand this guy carries around in his Vagina...I am surprised he doesn't have Pearls falling out as he walks!

Yeah. You sure called that Randy Johnson thing. He's been tearing it up since he left, hasn't he?

He's just been unlucky bob...just unlucky

Good take from Joel Sherman of the NY Post.

They tried it cheaper and younger. That lasted fewer than 30 games, long enough for a strength and conditioning coach to get canned, Joe Torre to be threatened and George Steinbrenner to reclaim his inner madman. Roger Clemens ain't young and he certainly ain't cheap. He turns 45 in August and by then he will be midway through a Yankees contract that will be paying him about $1 million a start. Clemens has always yearned to set financial records as yet another way to sanctify his historic greatness. So his salary, before it is pro-rated, of $28 million is no accidental number. It is $1 million more than Alex Rodriguez's now old record of $27 million.

Cashman was in the midst of trying to find out if the Beatles would be the same minus, say, a John Lennon. Steinbrenner, though, was more interested - as always - in seeing if it would all sound better if Mick Jagger were added to the regular cast.

Will it? Clemens should certainly be more prepared and better than the not-ready-for-primetime cast that has been schlepped out of Trenton and Scranton. His arrival will allow the Yanks to put Kei Igawa where he belongs, which is in the minors.

The Yanks might be paying $1 million a start to watch five innings, three runs from a 45-year-old. Even Mick Jagger gets old.

But these are the Steinbrenner Yankees, which means their tolerance for younger and less expensive lasts as long as it takes to swell the DL. They met a month of injury by abandoning their fiscal prudence, a younger roster and their ideals since Clemens will be allowed to come and go as he wishes. They are the same old Yankees, most comfortable spending $28 million to try to get a 27th championship.

Yeah and if he had gone to the Red Sox everyone would have been yelling and screaming "How could the Yankees let him go back to Boston ?"

It is a no win situation either way.

Exactly Shawn. What were the Yankees supposed to do? Sit around and watch him go to the Sox so that he could pick up the slack for Dice K? The Yankees would be getting killed for pulling the purse strings too tight at the wrong time. It was a no win situation based on the number of whiners that follow the game but it was the right move to make.

Exactly Shawn. What were the Yankees supposed to do? Sit around and watch him go to the Sox so that he could pick up the slack for Dice K? The Yankees would be getting killed for pulling the purse strings too tight at the wrong time. It was a no win situation based on the number of whiners that follow the game but it was the right move to make.

Clemens < Tavarez

He couldn't crack the Sox' rotation. He would be a set-up man on Boston's staff. ;)

I wonder how the special treatment he gets will go over this time around with the players- spoiled is the word for Clemens.

That's the one thing I dont like about this deal. He should be there no matter what. I dont think it's too much to ask if you're paying the guy that kind of coin.

That's the one thing I dont like about this deal. He should be there no matter what. I dont think it's too much to ask if you're paying the guy that kind of coin.

Roger is a step below Schilling in loving himself. I am surprised he did not get his contract to specify he is carried in like an emperor for every start.

The problem is that it is 2007, not 1987.

They had to land him, sure. But for this amount of jack?! It truly is WS or bust. I just can't see this tipping the scales in favour of the yanks. Clemens is playing the yanks like a fiddle with the money and perks.

The problem is that it is 2007, not 1987.

They had to land him, sure. But for this amount of jack?! It truly is WS or bust. I just can't see this tipping the scales in favour of the yanks. Clemens is playing the yanks like a fiddle with the money and perks.

I'd take his 2005 numbers with no problem.

13-8 with a 1.87 ERA

Not exactly a great comparison. I think Clemens has proven a few more things in his MLB career. Just sayin'.

He's proven that he's the pitching equivalent to A-Rod. Great numbers, just can't win the big game.

Roger is going to find out that the AL East is a little different than the NL Central.

Good luck, old man. You're going to need it.

He might not be a bullpen saviour either.

Despite his fantastic ERA last season, he only got through 7 IP in 5 of his 19 starts. And that's against light hitting NL teams.

Bruney, Henn, et. al. - start eating your Wheaties.

He might not be a bullpen saviour either.

Despite his fantastic ERA last season, he only got through 7 IP in 5 of his 19 starts. And that's against light hitting NL teams.

Bruney, Henn, et. al. - start eating your Wheaties.

Smart teams will wait him out in at bat and allow him to pile pitches on. That is what some of the NL teams started doing with him last year.

That will be exacerbated even more in the AL.

Bottom line for the Yankees-A good, positive move. But they still need to figure the middle relief out.

Wow Franseca just called yesterday a disgrace with it's cheap theatrics etc.

Said maybe young fans get excited by it but not the seasoned fans.

If you listended to the Suzyn Waldman reaction to the announcement, it was comical. She called it "dramatic".

Hey, the Yankees are spending close to $20 million, I guess they are entitled to milk it for everything it has got.

But, calling it Yankee moment is a true stretch. The Babe, Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, the chase for 61 are "Yankee moments"

Something that everyone already knew, and assigning the highest $$ amount should not be among "Yankee moments".

Or, should it?

If you listended to the Suzyn Waldman reaction to the announcement, it was comical. She called it "dramatic".

Hey, the Yankees are spending close to $20 million, I guess they are entitled to milk it for everything it has got.

But, calling it Yankee moment is a true stretch. The Babe, Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, the chase for 61 are "Yankee moments"

Something that everyone already knew, and assigning the highest $$ amount should not be among "Yankee moments".

Or, should it?

You do realize that Waldman was Big Georges mistress for many years?

Archived