Cross country drive

serphnx

I'm going to be driving back to NY from San Diego in about a week or two. A friend of mine is getting me the route from AAA, the maps have gas station locations and a bunch of other useful stuff I'm told. Anybody know about how long it takes or have general tips I should know?

I'm going to kidnap LT and he's going to be our starting RB next year. I'm selling the fact that he'll get the chance to beat NE 3 times a year this way.

I'm going to be driving back to NY from San Diego in about a week or two. A friend of mine is getting me the route from AAA, the maps have gas station locations and a bunch of other useful stuff I'm told. Anybody know about how long it takes or have general tips I should know?

I'm going to kidnap LT and he's going to be our starting RB next year. I'm selling the fact that he'll get the chance to beat NE 3 times a year this way.

Come through the South. Stay away from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio... Its ugly, boring, and Smokey is on you like flies on sh*t 24/7.

Take RT 10 through AZ and NM. Some of the vistas will actually compel you to pull over and just take it all in. You can continue through Texas on 10, 20, or start cutting North and take 40. If you take 10, just make sure you start heading Northeast and find a parallel route because YOU DON NOT WANT TO TAKE 10 THROUGH LOUISIANA.

I don't know what LA does with the federal money they get each year, but they definitely don't put a dime into maintaining the interstate highways.

Best route:

From El Paso Texas onward, 10 >>20>>30>>40 take RT40 through TN, catch 81 in East TN (Johnson City) and take 81 to PA, 80 east to NJ.

That is simply the best route toll wise, scenery wise, and efficiency wise.

And don't rush through it, take your time and enjoy it. These are places you most likely will never pass through again in your life.

sounds like good advice from jetmo. i've done the northern trek ny-utah twice via chicago, nebraska etc. very boring drive, and nebraska alone is brutal. flat straight & nothing which screams out for you to speed but smokies are everywhere.

Best route:

From El Paso Texas onward, 10 >>20>>30>>40 take RT40 through TN, catch 81 in East TN (Johnson City) and take 81 to PA, 80 east to NJ.

That is simply the best route toll wise, scenery wise, and efficiency wise.

And don't rush through it, take your time and enjoy it. These are places you most likely will never pass through again in your life.

Thats the one I'd take too JetMo. The only change I'd offer is staying on 40 from Knoxville to Asheville and then shooting 77 north to hit 81. That gives you a real nice ride through the Smokie Mtns. If its at night don't bother because the weave gets a little hairy and you won't be able to see anything anyway.

Every speeding ticket goes on your record...

10mph over should keep you safe...

I meant to say they effect your insurance. It never really mattered to me because all of my tickets were more than 10 over. :lol: Anymore though I just go 7 over and I have never been pulled over. When I'm going through Western Kansas it's 15 over though. I can't get through that place fast enough. :lol:

I meant to say they effect your insurance. It never really mattered to me because all of my tickets were more than 10 over. :lol: Anymore though I just go 7 over and I have never been pulled over. When I'm going through Western Kansas it's 15 over though. I can't get through that place fast enough. :lol:

Yeah any speeding ticket goes on your record... 1 over or 10 over...

I have fought all of mine and won everytime so far... (knock on wood)

Thats the one I'd take too JetMo. The only change I'd offer is staying on 40 from Knoxville to Asheville and then shooting 77 north to hit 81. That gives you a real nice ride through the Smokie Mtns. If its at night don't bother because the weave gets a little hairy and you won't be able to see anything anyway.

Ashville to 77 to 81 would be a great ride to take in the daytime - beautiful country in western NC and Va.

Archived