Ridiculous law of the week-from Wisconsin

faba

Gas Station Owner Told to Raise Prices

By Associated Press

document.write(getElapsed("20070509T032651Z"));Tue May 8, 11:26 PMUPDATED 2 HOURS 11 MINUTES AGO

MERRILL, Wis. - A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices. Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.

But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals are too good: They violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor in late April saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

Bhandari, who bought the station in May 2006, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.

Dale Van Camp of Merrill said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said.

This law makes sense... why should the other gas stations be forced to either join in or lose money?? Gas stations make less than 10% profit on gas... why force them to go even lower? They spend millions of dollars on pumps and equipment...

Owning a small retail store... I can appreciate the state stepping in here and trying to keep things fair... now if only they would do that to store like Wal-Mart and such who sell for low profit margins and rely on volume... only hurting everyone but themselves... including their customers...

This law makes sense... why should the other gas stations be forced to either join in or lose money?? Gas stations make less than 10% profit on gas... why force them to go even lower? They spend millions of dollars on pumps and equipment...

Owning a small retail store... I can appreciate the state stepping in here and trying to keep things fair... now if only they would do that to store like Wal-Mart and such who sell for low profit margins and rely on volume... only hurting everyone but themselves... including their customers...

It is supposed to be free enterprise- why should gov't artificially set a price

Great post. Now I wish the gov't would step in and just say anyone who runs a website gets x amount. This way I can get some of that google, you tube and myspace money.

bingo........tube socks that come in pkg's of 6 should be 8 bucks across the board. price variance on tube socks has bothered me for as long as i've been wearing sandals. :shock:

Nonsense. If someone can stay in business by offering their product at a cheaper price, then by all means he should be allowed to do it!! That's free enterprise. This guy came up with a great plan and now has to stop because Dumbfark McGinty down the road has no creativity to compete? That's a load of crap. If you can't think of ways to remain competitive, then competition should have the right to eat you up.

Nonsense. If someone can stay in business by offering their product at a cheaper price, then by all means he should be allowed to do it!! That's free enterprise. This guy came up with a great plan and now has to stop because Dumbfark McGinty down the road has no creativity to compete? That's a load of crap. If you can't think of ways to remain competitive, then competition should have the right to eat you up.

Not when they are paying poor countries full of people .25 a day to make the clothes... lol

I was just giving another POV and saying I can understand... thats all... not really that I agree so much...

If you knew all of the effects store like walmart have on a community you would think otherwise... its a terrible cycle...

They need to sell things cheap because nobody has any money, nobody has any money because there are no good jobs, there are no good jobs because everything needs to be made cheaper... everything needs to be made cheaper because nobody has money, nobody has money because everything needs to be made cheaper...

Stores like walmart take away THOUSANDS of jobs and MILLIONS of dollars from people... communities never become better or richer when Walmart comes to town... its usually the opposite...

Like I said though.. I am just giving another POV... I have other shops around me that I compete with, and I like being able to undercut them if I want to.

Not when they are paying poor countries full of people .25 a day to make the clothes... lol

I was just giving another POV and saying I can understand... thats all... not really that I agree so much...

If you knew all of the effects store like walmart have on a community you would think otherwise... its a terrible cycle...

They need to sell things cheap because nobody has any money, nobody has any money because there are no good jobs, there are no good jobs because everything needs to be made cheaper... everything needs to be made cheaper because nobody has money, nobody has money because everything needs to be made cheaper...

Stores like walmart take away THOUSANDS of jobs and MILLIONS of dollars from people... communities never become better or richer when Walmart comes to town... its usually the opposite...

Like I said though.. I am just giving another POV... I have other shops around me that I compete with, and I like being able to undercut them if I want to.

Meh..Call me insensitive or selfish if you want. I have a good job. I worked hard to get it. I make decent money, I don't need something to be cheaper but if I can get it cheaper I damn well will. Most people who can't get ahead in life bring that upon themselves. I have no sypathy for them. If working for Walmart at a cheap pay rate is all they can do for themselves, then they should thank god that there's a WalMart nearby for them to get a job at all. Apparantly they were too lazy to better themselves to get a better job cause it sure as shyte isn't hard to do, so they are lucky that McDonalds/WalMart/KMart/burger King is willing to give them a job at all. As for me, yeah there ae certain instances where I'll go to a place that I know charges more simply for the atmosphere. But 99% of the time I want something as quick as possible and as cheap as possible. Offer that and I'm your customer.

Meh..Call me insensitive or selfish if you want. I have a good job. I worked hard to get it. I make decent money, I don't need something to be cheaper but if I can get it cheaper I damn well will. Most people who can't get ahead in life bring that upon themselves. I have no sypathy for them. If working for Walmart at a cheap pay rate is all they can do for themselves, then they should thank god that there's a WalMart nearby for them to get a job at all. Apparantly they were too lazy to better themselves to get a better job cause it sure as shyte isn't hard to do, so they are lucky that McDonalds/WalMart/KMart/burger King is willing to give them a job at all. As for me, yeah there ae certain instances where I'll go to a place that I know charges more simply for the atmosphere. But 99% of the time I want something as quick as possible and as cheap as possible. Offer that and I'm your customer.

I pretty much agree with you... Im just in one of those moods where I pick the other side of the fight today... :lol:

Its not insensitive or selfish to feel that way...

In support of the free market, I chose not to pay $55 for Jets info that I could get here for free. This is a great country, no?

:lol:

Yes but think of the price you had to pay instead...

antelope_humping_zebra.jpg

:lol:

Yes but think of the price you had to pay instead...

antelope_humping_zebra.jpg

Easy with the pics eC - I just had my inaugural colonoscopy this morning and I'm still a little sensitive. I know there's others around here that have lived on the dark side for awhile, but I'd never given up the booty before.:)

Easy with the pics eC - I just had my inaugural colonoscopy this morning and I'm still a little sensitive. I know there's others around here that have lived on the dark side for awhile, but I'd never given up the booty before.:)

:lol: you know they make a cream for that?

:lol: you know they make a cream for that?

I'm hoping the doc used some. They just told me to count backwards from 100 and the next thing I remember is waking up with a bouquet of flowers.

I'm hoping the doc used some. They just told me to count backwards from 100 and the next thing I remember is waking up with a bouquet of flowers.

Geez, I hope this is not a lead-in to telling us that your getting married again!

Imagine if the local government came in and said you had to stop a sale and charge more money because the gay sex shop up the block wasn't smart enough to come up with their own sales and couldn't sell as many "rockets" how would you feel then?

Remember the day we met? It was at Walmart.

That was special. Walmart isn't all bad.

I'm just saying.

It seems like every community complains when Wal-mart tries to come to town, and most of the time Wally World wins.

My question is:

If you are protesting them and there is such a vocal opposition, what happens to them when the store opens? Do they shop there now? Why if they are so proud of their local businesses would they stop shopping there? And did they shop at Wal Mart in other communities, but only care now that its in their town?

Wal Mart is an easy and convienent excuse on why businesses fail. Blame ALL big box stores, malls and "outlet" centers. They all contribute to putting the little guy out of business. Plus, the little guy cant figure out how to adjust to the competiton.

A good small, local business will always do well and prosper. Its all about customer service. Too bad most dont realize how to do this.

Want to stop Wal Mart and others like them? Stop shopping there and encourage others to do the same.

I cant count that high... only have 10 fingers... and its tough to count with my toes.

Plus with my A-D-D I forget why Im compiling a list of biggest morons and move on to some weird story like babies blamed for global warming

It's all that farting.

Archived