NFL | League considering expanding the schedule to 17 Games (Merged 2X)

Smizzy

NFL | League considering expanding the schedule

Thu, 10 May 2007 09:20:02 -0700

Barry Wilner, of The Associated Press, reports the NFL is discussing the possibility of adding an extra regular season game and having each of those games played somewhere outside the United States. The idea is in the preliminary stages and would not become a reality until 2009 or 2010

:character0255:

IMO there is no need to take the NFL overseas anyway. Do they have intentions of placing expansion teams overseas as well? Let the teams play all of their preseason games overseas or something.

IMO there is no need to take the NFL overseas anyway. Do they have intentions of placing expansion teams overseas as well? Let the teams play all of their preseason games overseas or something.

Either that or just keep sending the Phins over there... who cares about them

Teams like them and the Bills should go somewhere else... they cant sell tickets anyways,...

How bout we just send the Pats ........to ,lets say Figi. Now that would be a dream come true for the jets and the rest of the league ;)

More international exposure for the sport isn't a bad thing. Besides, there is a world of talent out there, look at what the NBA's expansion into the international market has brought. Also, I would love to combine a game with a trip somewhere, a jets game in munich around oktoberfest time would be awesome!

Why would the NFL add an extra game?

They have all the money in the world. They have a perfectly symmetrical division and schedule set-up that has 88% of the game already set-up for the next billion years. Why add a 17th game and then have to factor in the ramifications into that. Do you start a week early? Run a week late? Kill the bye? Have the SB running into mid-February?

Did this guy have a suspense to meet and decided to just threw something out there?

We need to keep Football they way Football has always been. This is Football... An American sport.

Add a regualr season game... When a HB actually rushes for over 2,000 yards in a season would it still be as special?

What about all the records in the record books for single season records? Do the players only actually get 16 games to break the record and 1 game with no stats recorded?

What about JetLag... When my Jet team goes all the way to Hong Kong to play vs the damn Vikings who I can give a shiit for, plays the vikings, then has to come back on a damn plane for 16 hrs and get ready for a game vrs the Patriots team who is fresh off of a bye week? Give me a damn break. No thanks NFL.

And this game would start when, 1AM EST?

ehh, they could make it work, a 9:30AM game in HK would be 9:30 pm here and 6:30 on the west coast, do it on a saturday night and it would be no problem. A game in Europe, where i would think most games would be played, we are only talking about a 6 hour difference, so an early afternoon game is still totally watchable.

We need to keep Football they way Football has always been. This is Football... An American sport.

Add a regualr season game... When a HB actually rushes for over 2,000 yards in a season would it still be as special?

What about all the records in the record books for single season records? Do the players only actually get 16 games to break the record and 1 game with no stats recorded?

Bad example the NFL expanded the season length from 14 to 16 in 78, it didn't cause problems.

Oh joy! we could get a game in London every year! fantastic!

our European sports are weak and feeble in comparison with

their silly games of two halves, we need to be shown properly

how sports should be, I think soccer needs four quarters, and

multiple substitutions and loads more penalty shootouts!

You don`t need to come and take our money, just make it

easier for us to come over there and hand it to you.

Leave it alone dammit! it was working so well! you foolish fools!

What about JetLag... When my Jet team goes all the way to Hong Kong to play vs the damn Vikings who I can give a shiit for, plays the vikings, then has to come back on a damn plane for 16 hrs and get ready for a game vrs the Patriots team who is fresh off of a bye week? Give me a damn break. No thanks NFL.

Absolutely right. I've done that Hong Kong trip from NY many times in my working

days and its brutal. And I wasn't banging heads for 3 hours.

If they do this there has to be some consideration of the hardship involved

and schedule these games accordingly.

This is Absolute and Complete Stupidity. A 16 game season is rough enough, now you're going to make them travel to Europe??? The level of arrogance withink the NFL ranks is mindboggling.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070511/SPORTS11/70511004/1048

NFL considering adding 17th game to schedule

May 11, 2007

BY SKIP WOOD

USA TODAY

American expatriates who also happen to be NFL fans could be in store for an unexpected treat.

The pro football league is in the early stages of planning a setup that would add a 17th game to each team's regular-season schedule — with a caveat: The games would be played outside the USA.

This scenario appears to be not a matter of if but only a matter of when.

So how soon?

"Most likely not next year," NFL director of corporate communications Brian McCarthy said Thursday, "but likely to be shortly thereafter."

That would mean a reduction of the preseason schedule from four games to three. The NFL is studying how the extra game would be applied to the existing schedule format and whether the entire slate would be moved up or moved back a week.

Possible venues for a series of games would appear to be London (where the New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins will meet Oct. 28 at Wembley Stadium), Spain and Germany — which fields several teams for NFL Europa.

San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said Thursday that he had heard scant details about the idea but wondered about the logistics.

"Would this mean, say, the Raiders and the Chargers go to Berlin and maybe East Coast teams go somewhere else?" he said. "It'll be interesting to see all the particulars of it."

Since every team would be required to make the trip, Smith said he didn't expect a competitive disadvantage.

"It's the schedule, and you just play it, whatever it says, wherever it tells you to go," he said. "There's always going to be (travel) hardships with any schedule, but it's a waste of time to waste a lot of time and energy complaining about it."

Smith did see the potential for some teams griping but said the plan is intriguing.

"It's unique," he said. "It's different. You won't see me holding a placard in front of the (NFL offices) in protest."

I think this been posted already, I might be wrong tho.

solid post dude.

But as for the 17 games, ...well I guess it would all depend on how our teams were faring at the end of week 16. If we were one game out of the last playoff spot, then we would love it, and vice versa.....

BUT, I DO think that 17 games IS just a bit much. Why keep changing and altering such a wonderful thing we have in the the NFL. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!

solid post dude.

But as for the 17 games, ...well I guess it would all depend on how our teams were faring at the end of week 16. If we were one game out of the last playoff spot, then we would love it, and vice versa.....

BUT, I DO think that 17 games IS just a bit much. Why keep changing and altering such a wonderful thing we have in the the NFL. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!

I agree.

solid post dude.

Just think, the Dolphins could lose all of their games, thereby becoming the only team in history to have a 17-0 and an 0-17 record in the books.

Don't like the idea at all. Europeans just do not give a **** about the NFL. Feeding them regular season games is bull****. They have NFL Europa and most of them don't give a ****. It is not like most of them are familiar with the NFL's big names. I don't think there is much difference between Drew Brees and Kurt Kittner in their minds. It's pointless and stupid. It sucks to see Goodell continue down the same path that Tags was ignorantly going down.

Archived