FLUTIE HIGH ON CHAD (& ELI)

SoFlaJets

FLUTIE HIGH ON CHAD & ELI

By DAN TOMASINO

May 10, 2007 -- Doug Flutie knows a little something about being a quarterback, and said yesterday that Chad Pennington and Eli Manning have the ability to lead the Jets and Giants for many years.

While a member of the Bills and Patriots, Flutie saw Pennington play up close on several occasions.

"I love Chad's leadership skills," said Flutie, in midtown yesterday for the National Football Foundation's announcement of its College Football Hall of Fame class of 2007, which included Flutie, Ahmad Rashad and Joe Paterno.

"A lot of people question his arm strength, [but being a] quarterback is about decision making. [Pennington] has a knack of putting his team in a position to win."

Flutie's evaluation of Manning was slightly less optimistic, though he did acknowledge his talent.

"Eli is the prototypical quarterback," Flutie said. "He has all the potential - and potential's a dangerous word - but he's got all the skills it takes to get it done. He's a young kid, he's still learning, and he's going to get better and better."

Flutie, the 1984 Heisman winner with Boston College, said the criticism that Pennington and Manning are not capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl is unfounded.

"That's the nature of the business," Flutie said of the notion that a quarterback must win a Super Bowl to prove his mettle. "It amazes me; it absolutely amazes me. If John Elway had retired two years earlier, they would've said that about him."

Flutie, who currently works as a football analyst, said he was not surprised to see Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn drop to the 22nd pick in the NFL Draft.

"You never know what to expect because it's a matter of [teams'] needs," he said.

Also elected to the Hall were Tom Brahaney (Oklahoma, C, 1970-72), Dave Brown (Michigan, DB, 1972-74), Jeff Davis (Clemson, LB, 1978-81), Johnnie Johnson (Texas, DB, 1976-79), Rex Kern (Ohio State, wingback, 1968-70), Anthony Thompson (Indiana, RB, 1986-89), Wilson Whitley (Houston, DT, 1973-76), Reggie Williams (Dartmouth, LB, 1973-76), Richard Wood (USC, LB, 1972-74), Chris Zorich (Notre Dame, DT, 1988-90) and Herb Deromedi (Central Michigan, coach, 1978-93).

FLUTIE HIGH ON CHAD & ELI

By DAN TOMASINO

May 10, 2007 -- Doug Flutie knows a little something about being a quarterback, and said yesterday that Chad Pennington and Eli Manning have the ability to lead the Jets and Giants for many years.

While a member of the Bills and Patriots, Flutie saw Pennington play up close on several occasions.

"I love Chad's leadership skills," said Flutie, in midtown yesterday for the National Football Foundation's announcement of its College Football Hall of Fame class of 2007, which included Flutie, Ahmad Rashad and Joe Paterno.

"A lot of people question his arm strength, [but being a] quarterback is about decision making. [Pennington] has a knack of putting his team in a position to win."

Flutie's evaluation of Manning was slightly less optimistic, though he did acknowledge his talent.

"Eli is the prototypical quarterback," Flutie said. "He has all the potential - and potential's a dangerous word - but he's got all the skills it takes to get it done. He's a young kid, he's still learning, and he's going to get better and better."

Flutie, the 1984 Heisman winner with Boston College, said the criticism that Pennington and Manning are not capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl is unfounded.

"That's the nature of the business," Flutie said of the notion that a quarterback must win a Super Bowl to prove his mettle. "It amazes me; it absolutely amazes me. If John Elway had retired two years earlier, they would've said that about him."

Flutie, who currently works as a football analyst, said he was not surprised to see Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn drop to the 22nd pick in the NFL Draft.

"You never know what to expect because it's a matter of [teams'] needs," he said.

Also elected to the Hall were Tom Brahaney (Oklahoma, C, 1970-72), Dave Brown (Michigan, DB, 1972-74), Jeff Davis (Clemson, LB, 1978-81), Johnnie Johnson (Texas, DB, 1976-79), Rex Kern (Ohio State, wingback, 1968-70), Anthony Thompson (Indiana, RB, 1986-89), Wilson Whitley (Houston, DT, 1973-76), Reggie Williams (Dartmouth, LB, 1973-76), Richard Wood (USC, LB, 1972-74), Chris Zorich (Notre Dame, DT, 1988-90) and Herb Deromedi (Central Michigan, coach, 1978-93).

Not sure how Barton and company are going to try and spin this one... they either need to claim that a former NFL QB knows nothing about QB's... or claim that he was just being nice for no reason... neither of which are very strong arguments...

This article must hurt the Chad haters... even if they deny it... it does...

Not sure how Barton and company are going to try and spin this one... they either need to claim that a former NFL QB knows nothing about QB's... or claim that he was just being nice for no reason... neither of which are very strong arguments...

This article must hurt the Chad haters... even if they deny it... it does...

I can question this article pretty easy, he basically says that decision making trumps arm strength, excuse me? How is making good decisons going to help when you can't even hit a receiver who's 50+ yards out?

I can question this article pretty easy, he basically says that decision making trumps arm strength, excuse me? How is making good decisons going to help when you can't even hit a receiver who's 50+ yards out?

Remeber this is coming from a midget QB who had NFL success... he also said that Chad has the "knack" to put the JETS in a position to win.

Chad can hit a receiver 50 yards down the field, you have fallen victim to a common misconception... he just cant do it with ZIP... he needs a tall WR with good hand to pull it down... (thats why him and Moss did so well in college)

Spin it however you want, an NFL legend just backed up Chad and it trumps the opinion of any wannabe football guru on this forum.. including my own.

Remeber this is coming from a midget QB who had NFL success... he also said that Chad has the "knack" to put the JETS in a position to win.

Chad can hit a receiver 50 yards down the field, you have fallen victim to a common misconception... he just cant do it with ZIP... he needs a tall WR with good hand to pull it down... (thats why him and Moss did so well in college)

Spin it however you want, an NFL legend just backed up Chad and it trumps the opinion of any wannabe football guru on this forum.. including my own.

Face facts, our long-ball game suffers because of Chad's lack of arm strength, there's no argueing it. When Chad does finally bomb one out either(A his accuracy is waaay off or (B he floats it so much the receiver has to slow down.

I really don't give a crap what Doug Flutie has to say, I've seen plenty of Chad to know exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are. He's a dink and dunk QB at best, a smart one, I give you that, and a fantastic leader, but all he'll ever be is a QB who looks to dump it off on 5-10-15 yard tosses.

He's just very lucky to have WRs who are fantastic after the catch, otherwise he's numbers would look alot worse.

Face facts, our long-ball game suffers because of Chad's lack of arm strength, there's no argueing it. When Chad does finally bomb one out either(A his accuracy is waaay off or (B he floats it so much the receiver has to slow down.

I really don't give a crap what Doug Flutie has to say, I've seen plenty of Chad to know exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are. He's a dink and dunk QB at best, a smart one, I give you that, and a fantastic leader, but all he'll ever be is a QB who looks to dump it off on 5-10-15 yard tosses.

He's just very lucky to have WRs who are fantastic after the catch, otherwise he's numbers would look alot worse.

Doug Flutie's Opinion & football knowledge >>>> yours

That is all.

A frickin' scumbag (Flutie) is praising the two NY QB's to a NY paper......holy positive PR! You don't say!!!!

Exactly, what's he going to say?

"Gee that Pennington kid can't throw worth a ****"

"and that little Manning f@g will never amount to anything"

Exactly, what's he going to say?

"Gee that Pennington kid can't throw worth a ****"

"and that little Manning f@g will never amount to anything"

No if he didnt like what he saw from them... he would have given the classic "They are both good QB's in this league"

He went into detail to defend them

No if he didnt like what he saw from them... he would have given the classic "They are both good QB's in this league"

He went into detail to defend them

I can "go into detail" about someone I don't like, it's not that difficult.

The things he said about penny are common knowledge to anyone who's watched any amount of Jets games/

this is a fluff article, nothing more, nothing less.

I can "go into detail" about someone I don't like, it's not that difficult.

The things he said about penny are common knowledge to anyone who's watched any amount of Jets games/

this is a fluff article, nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly, that his arm strength doesnt hurt him as much as some make it out to and he wins games... thanks for pointing that out :)

Exactly, that his arm strength doesnt hurt him as much as some make it out to and he wins games... thanks for pointing that out :)

If wanna continue to sit here and say that Chad's lack of arm strength AT NO TIME has hurt this team, that's your problem.

The way he floats passes can be painful to watch.

If wanna continue to sit here and say that Chad's lack of arm strength AT NO TIME has hurt this team, that's your problem.

The way he floats passes can be painful to watch.

Never said they weren't a bad thing... just said they arent nearly as bad as some people make it out to be... they were the same passes he floated to Moss for TD's in college...

Never said they weren't a bad thing... just said they arent nearly as bad as some people make it out to be... they were the same passes he floated to Moss for TD's in college...

I could've scored the same amount of TDs with Randy Moss as my receiver. Chad could throw up all the lame ducks in the world and Randy Moss would come down with them.

He does not have the luxury of a 6'6 receiver anymore.

Flutie is high on something that's for sure.

Chad could have all the leader skills and can give our team a chance to win the game,

But if we are down he gives us Nothing at all ,he gives the other team the ball.

and flutie said everyone questions chad's arm strength?? OH i wonder why?

Maybe b/c he throws the ball like a left handed girl on her knees? I thinks that's why Flutie.

Archived