Randy Moss for Hall of Fame? Paul Zimmerman Votes No

Randy Moss for Hall of Fame? Paul Zimmerman Votes No

Posted May 11th 2007 1:40PM by Michael David Smith

Sports Illustrated NFL writer Paul Zimmerman is one of the voters for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and he's at his best when he's weighing the pros and cons of an individual player's enshrinement. Zimmerman spends long hours watching game tape and taking detailed notes, and you can bet that when he expresses an opinion about whether a player is worthy of Canton, it's a well-informed opinion.

So it's interesting to note that Zimmerman (often known as Dr. Z) is dead-set against Randy Moss getting into the Hall of Fame.

"As long as I'm a selector, the Canton Highway will be a very difficult road for Moss. I don't care how many great years he gives the Patriots. The guy's a dog, and there are too many people who spent years of sacrifice without getting a sniff from the Hall." - Zimmerman

I have a feeling that that will be the majority opinion when Moss comes up for Hall of Fame election several years from now, and that's probably how I'd vote, too. As spectacular as Moss has been at times, he's also been a negative force too often. I disagree with Zimmerman, though, when he says he doesn't care how many great years Moss gives the Patriots. I still think Moss could have a few very good years left in him, and that might be enough to punch his ticket to Canton.

Good question.

Moss' is in the 20s in receptions and yards.

He is 5th in TDs. Harrison and Owens is ahead of him.

His numbers say he is a HofFer. Top 10 in every category is still possible. His numbers are probably going to pass Irvin's who is in. TDs already do. Is it a popularity contest or effort like you say? I would choose players like Chrebet and Brown over a head case like Moss. However, he does have the talent and it is undeniable how much he has.

If Eric Dickerson is in, why not Moss?Dickerson didn't kill himself every play. And he wasn't the only HoFer who wasn't a gamer every Sunday. Problem is based on numbers, he's a no brainer. Not even as a compiler; when he's been healthy, Moss has been a leader in all the WR stats. And spare everyone but Art Monk, he's gonna get in.

If Eric Dickerson is in, why not Moss?Dickerson didn't kill himself every play. And he wasn't the only HoFer who wasn't a gamer every Sunday. Problem is based on numbers, he's a no brainer. Not even as a compiler; when he's been healthy, Moss has been a leader in all the WR stats. And spare everyone but Art Monk, he's gonna get in.

Great point.

I forgot about Franco Harris and his sideline avoidance of tackles. How can you be a running back and not want to reciprocate?

Archived