O.T -Saturday's Preakness will have full 14 horse field

faba

Giacomo heads a full field of 14 in Preakness

May 18, 2005

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo and three horses trained by Nick Zito were among a full field of 14 3-year-olds entered Wednesday for the Preakness Stakes.

Giacomo, who pulled off the second-biggest upset in Derby history, will take on nine rivals from the Derby, including second- and third-place finishers, Closing Argument and Afleet Alex.

Zito, who sent out a record-tying five horses in the Derby, will bring back High Fly (10th), Noble Causeway (14th) and Sun King (15th) for another chance.

Giacomo will also face four new shooters in Galloping Grocer, Hal's Image, Malibu Moonshine and Scrappy T.

The other Derby horses entered in Saturday's 1 3-16th-mile Preakness are Wilko (6th), Greeley's Galaxy (11th), Going Wild (18th) and High Limit (20th).

Official odds and post positions were to be determined later Wednesday.

The full field is the first since 1992.

A total of 15 horses were under consideration, but Golden Man didn't make the cut due to insufficient earnings.

Zito would become the fourth trainer to start three horses in one Preakness. The others were J.S. Healey in 1914, James Rowe Sr., in 1923 and D. Wayne Lukas in 1996. Only Healey made it to the winner's circle, with Holiday.

Practically all the trainers are belitting Giacomo's win in the Derby- my own opinion is he still won the race over 19 horses so losing trainers have to come up with excuses. Give the horse some credit. Still undecided on who I like on Sat

The more, the merrier. Bren and I are leaving tomorrow night.

Hey, faba. Who should I bet?

YOu guys are going? Cool.

I will just stay here with the rest of the b-listers. It's cool.

The more, the merrier. Bren and I are leaving tomorrow night.

Hey, faba. Who should I bet?

GGG you and Brenda I am sure will have a great time in Baltimore at the Preakness- still unsure who I like in the race.

C'mon Frank. You know I always look to you for the insightful view.

T-Mac likes Afleet Alex. I kinda like High Limit. Whaddaya think?

O.K if you insist GGG

I like Afleet Alex with one of the Zito's horses High Fly as exacta bet.

Thanks, Sweetie. I'm really looking forward to it. We're still waiting for an invitation to a pool party and bbq from you.

Any weekend you and bren have is good for me. Got it up and running yesturday! Bring those shane boys with ya! :wink:

I am definitley joining you on another roadtrip soon. :)

O.K if you insist GGG

I like Afleet Alex with one of the Zito's horses High Fly as exacta bet.

Sound advice. Bailey and the track surface will help High Fly. He might even nose out AA, but I'll take the green & white silks on top.

Yes, it'll be my first trip to Baltimore. But Brenda and T-Mac have gone to the Preakness in the past, so you may want to ask them.

GGG - is this your first trip to the preakness? i live in dc and every year think of going up there. trying to figure out if it is worth the trip. any input?

GGG - is this your first trip to the preakness? i live in dc and every year think of going up there. trying to figure out if it is worth the trip. any input?

ABSOLUTELY worth the trip...We are driving 3-4 hours ! Well worth it...

My horse I am betting is GIRLS GOING WILD :mrgreen: oppps

Going Wild sorry my bad [-X

Yes, it'll be my first trip to Baltimore. But Brenda and T-Mac have gone to the Preakness in the past, so you may want to ask them.

thanks - i have been to baltimore, just not the preakness. after i saw that dude run out on the track and take a swing at the horse i figured i probably wouldn't fit in with the 'balmore' crowd. you'll know it when you see it. i gotta admit that as a whole it's a pretty fun little city, very blue collar and down to earth. have a good time there, i am going to try to go too.

thanks - i have been to baltimore, just not the preakness. after i saw that dude run out on the track and take a swing at the horse i figured i probably wouldn't fit in with the 'balmore' crowd. you'll know it when you see it. i gotta admit that as a whole it's a pretty fun little city, very blue collar and down to earth. have a good time there, i am going to try to go too.

The infield is full of drunken kids, which is pretty cool if you like boobies like me. There's a few fights but the cops are all over the place so it's worth the stroll for the entertainment. When you're ready to get serious on the betting, go inside to the grandstand for a much calmer scene. You can bring in your own cooler to the infield, but if you go into the grandstand they'll give you a plastic cooler-bag.

Derby winner Giacomo draws No. 13 postAssociated Press

BALTIMORE -- Afleet Alex was made the 5-2 favorite for the Preakness Stakes on Wednesday, while Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo was the fourth choice at 6-1 and drew the ominous No. 13 post.

The last time the Derby winner did not go off as the Preakness favorite was 2001, when Monarchos was the slight second choice behind Point Given, who won the race.

Afleet Alex, the Arkansas Derby winner, earned the favorite's role after a strong run in the Derby ended with a third-place finish, just a length behind Giacomo. Afleet Alex leaves from the No. 12 post -- the same gate he broke from in the Derby.

Giacomo came into the Derby with just one victory before pulling off the second biggest upset at 50-1 odds. Since 1930, when the starting gate was first used, only six horses have started in the Preakness from post Nos. 13 and 14 -- and none have won.

A full field of 14 3-year-olds was entered for Saturday's 1 3-16th-mile race, the first time since 1992 the Preakness drew the maximum entries. High Fly, 10th in the Derby, was the second choice at 9-2 and Derby runner-up Closing Argument was the third choice at 5-1.

"I just think when you look at the race as a handicapper is 'Can we beat the Derby winner?" Pimlico oddsmaker Frank Carulli said. "Last year, Smarty Jones ... 'No we can't.' ... This year, Giacomo ... 'Yes we can."'

A record-tying 10 Derby horses are in the field, with four new shooters. The only other time as many Derby horses were in the field occurred in 1999, when Charismatic was a long shot Derby winner.

John Shirreffs, who trains Giacomo, doesn't feel slighted by the odds.

"It's always kind of a comfort feeling when there's not a lot of pressure," Shirreffs said before the draw. "To be 1-5 would be awfully tough. We're going out there and see what happens."

High Fly, the Florida Derby winner, is one of three Preakness horses trained by Nick Zito. Only three other trainers have saddled three starters in one Preakness.

Zito's other starters are Noble Causeway and Sun King, both 10-1.

The new shooters are Malibu Moonshine and Scrappy T, both 20-1; Galloping Grocer at 30-1; and Hal's Image at 50-1.

Giacomo is 4th choice on the board- not getting any respect from trainers and oddsmaker

Afleet Alex and High Fly remains my exacta pick

GGG and Brenda enjoy yourselves!

Thank you, faba. It's gonna be a fun trip. Camden Yards on Sunday afternoon! Try not to miss me. Be back Sunday night. xoxoxo

What will we do without your insightful posts for a few days? :wink:

Afleet Alex came with a remarkable win IMO- to almost completely go down and be able to right himself and still pull away at the end- great performance by this colt and the jockey

Afleet Alex came with a remarkable win IMO- to almost completely go down and be able to right himself and still pull away at the end- great performance by this colt and the jockey

Archived