Verizon Fios

BP

I just got an offer from Verizon in the mail yesterday to get the new Fios fiber optic broadband internet,home phone,cell phone,and direct TV on one TV in my house for $99 :confused0061:

It sounds too good to be true. I will be doing some preliminary investigations into this..does anybody know of anyone that has this? Fios is supposed to be twice as fast as cable :confused0061:

i have all three.. the internet is way faster, the tv is clearer (you can only really tell right when they switch it and you can see the difference). the channels are different but in a good way. all the cnn's are together, the mtvs, etc. there isnt one cnn here, one cnn there, another one 20 channels up. oh and you get the nfl network which is cool. i'm not a big phone guy so i guess the phone is the same.

so far i only have their internet, and it is AWESOME! I hear the tv service is cool, the HD content especially, and it runs with much less compression than cable or dish so the picture is supposed to be even better than cable hd.

Is Verizon FIOS HD broadcast in 1080p? I think Cable HD is up to 1080i.

That is up to the channel, not the provider...

edit: and no channel will do 1080p for a while now becuase most non-1080p TV's cannot read the signal...

There is no 1080P transmission format, so nobody is able to do that, and I can't see it happening any time soon, years.

The thing with Fios is that it uses less compression(i think mpeg-2) to get the stream to the viewer. Uncompressed 1080i uses about 1.3 gigabits per second, so obviously nobody would be pushing that kind of signal, even with fiber to the home like fios. Heck, just on the production end alone you would need a major raid setup and a SAN all connected by fiber just to capture and work with it. So the more cluttered your channel lineup is and the more you need to support copper (like cable systems do), the more compressed you need to make your signal. Don't forget, even with these new digital boxes and services from Time Warner and the like, they only run fiber down your block, and then patch the whole neighborhood intot he fiber with copper lines.

That is up to the channel, not the provider...

edit: and no channel will do 1080p for a while now becuase most non-1080p TV's cannot read the signal...

Like I stated in my post after this one, it is not possible, there is no transmission format, and all the equipment in the production workflow can't support that high a datastream. The broadcast industry spent billions to upgrade to be able to work with 1080i with 1.5Gb equipment.

just came across this....

Verizon Evolves FiOS TV

01/11/2007

Bob Wallace

Looking to boost the allure of its IPTV offering, Verizon Communications Inc. announced at the 2007 International CES plans for enhancements and new FiOS features designed, in part, to enable subscribers to better navigate the service

Like I stated in my post after this one, it is not possible, there is no transmission format, and all the equipment in the production workflow can't support that high a datastream. The broadcast industry spent billions to upgrade to be able to work with 1080i with 1.5Gb equipment.

But in the event it was possible... it would be up to each specific channel/network right?

But in the event it was possible... it would be up to each specific channel/network right?

well, right now there are two flavors of hd as most people know, 1080i and 720p. The federal government has mandated that broadcasters switch to either of these, but it is their choice which one to go with. I would suppose that if 1080p were an option it would also be their choice, but it just isn't an option for a number of reasons.

well, right now there are two flavors of hd as most people know, 1080i and 720p. The federal government has mandated that broadcasters switch to either of these, but it is their choice which one to go with. I would suppose that if 1080p were an option it would also be their choice, but it just isn't an option for a number of reasons.

Joe I don't think you are right with what you just typed. I am not an expert but it is my understanding that in Feb 2009 the FCC has set the deadline to remove all analog broadcasts, meaning that they will have to broadcast in digital only.

BUT -- they are not insisting that everything be high def. Certainly market demands will drive that but I believe if someone wanted to broadcast in 480p they would still be in compliance.

Joe I don't think you are right with what you just typed. I am not an expert but it is my understanding that in Feb 2009 the FCC has set the deadline to remove all analog broadcasts, meaning that they will have to broadcast in digital only.

BUT -- they are not insisting that everything be high def. Certainly market demands will drive that but I believe if someone wanted to broadcast in 480p they would still be in compliance.

Yes Max you are right, I stand corrected, i forgot to also add that one in.

Yes Max you are right, I stand corrected, i forgot to also add that one in.

You ever go to Best Buy and listen to the stuff that the reps tell people? It drives me crazy. This stuff is confusing but they only serve to make it worse by proclaiming themselves to be the authority when they don't know squat.

You ever go to Best Buy and listen to the stuff that the reps tell people? It drives me crazy. This stuff is confusing but they only serve to make it worse by proclaiming themselves to be the authority when they don't know squat.

Best Buy just has a terrible training program obviously... its not too hard to learn about electronics... especially with a store full of them...

So now you are saying I am like one of those dolts? LOL!!!

Archived