I'll probably get ripped for this..........

Barton

What the hell is SO SPECIAL about the over the shoulder running catch by willie mays in the 1954 world series.

Sure he ran a long distance, covered alot of ground and it was in a pressure situation......Game 1 Tie game. Eighth inning. Two on. No outs, and Willie Mays makes a great play with the running grab.....and spins and makes a great throw.

a_wmays_i.jpg

Was it a great play?? YES

Was it an even greater play because it was in a pressure situation?? OF COURSE

But don't give me this BS that it's 1 of the greatest plays in the history of baseball!

Jim Edmonds and numerous other center fielders make this play with ease on a consistent basis!

Hell I saw Edmonds make this same play at least 5 times where he LEAPS ON THE WALL AND ROBS THE HOME RUN AND THROWS THE BALL BACK TO 2nd BASE TO GET A DOUBLE PLAY.

I just don't really understand why this catch is SO HYPED!! It was a GREAT play, don't get me wrong, it was a great play. But 1 of the best plays ever?? LOL, no frickin way. It was Game 1 for christ sake, it wasn't like it was game 7 of the world series, bottom of the 9th with 2 men on base and no outs.....it was GAME 1.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1190888.html

Because.

1) The Giants had no chance going in at beating Cleveland in the World Series that year. Cleveland that year had a 1998 Yankees type season and were expected to roll over the Giants. That play in game 1 saved a couple of runs and basically sent the Giants on their way to the World Championship sweeping the Indians 4-0.

2) If you ever a picture of the Polo grounds dead center was probably somewhere between 450 to 500 ft away. Mays covered an amazing amount of ground to track that ball.

3) The catch was great but the throw was even better

Have you seen replay's of the play? The catch isn't even the best part of it. The fact that he threw that ball so accurate and so far on basically one foot is incrediable enough, on top of the catch!

2) If you ever a picture of the Polo grounds dead center was probably somewhere between 450 to 500 ft away. Mays covered an amazing amount of ground to track that ball.

Shawn you beat me to it.

EB because of your age you underestimate what these fields used to look like.

I guess so. I mean, I've seen this play being show on espn ever so often, and while a really great play, I don't really understand why this particular play supposedly stands out over all the other running over the shoulder with a great throw immediately after.

oh well

Jeters flip in the ALDS vs the A's. Now that was somethin! :mrgreen:

Those outfields back in the 20s-60s were so large that not only was it hard as hell to jack one out of the park, but it was just as hard to track down a deep fly ball for an outfielder. Mays tracking down that ball and then having the arm to get it back almost instantaneously was nothign short of amazing. And considering it was a crucial world series game, just adds to it.

I guess so. I mean, I've seen this play being show on espn ever so often, and while a really great play, I don't really understand why this particular play supposedly stands out over all the other running over the shoulder with a great throw immediately after.

oh well

True, Jeter positioning himself was what stood out, Jeremy Giambi failing to slide and getting punched out made the play more than it was.

EB: have you ever watched Ken Burns documentary, BASEBALL? If you haven't I suggest you, and all baseball fans, watch it in its entirity. It is mandatory viewing, IMO. It has helped me appreciate the game more and the history of it. Inning 5 'Shadowball' is one of the most compelling sports documentaries ever. It will give you chills.

oh well

EB...Derek Jeter should never be spoken in the same conversation as Mays.

Never.

EB...Derek Jeter should never be spoken in the same conversation as Mays.

Never.

yea, I mean Jeters only 1 of the best shortstops in MLB history and a sure bet to be a 1st ballot hall of famer who just might retire with over 4,000 hits, so he does in no way deserve to be mentioned with Willie Mays. :roll:

yea, I mean Jeters only 1 of the best shortstops in MLB history and a sure bet to be a 1st ballot hall of famer who just might retire with over 4,000 hits, so he does in no way deserve to be mentioned with Willie Mays. :roll:

Yeah, but he's no Willy Mayes. Willie is a top 5 player of all time. Derek couldn't even hold his jock. This is an arguement you're not going to win, trust me.

Just because both (will be) are Hall of Famers, Jeter still doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Willie Mays. Mays is one of the top five greatest players of all-time. Jeter doesn't crack the top 100.

Just because both (will be) are Hall of Famers, Jeter still doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Willie Mays. Mays is one of the top five greatest players of all-time. Jeter doesn't crack the top 100.

I was not saying Jeter was better than Mays. I was simply saying they do deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence. If that sentence was used to answer the question:

Name some Hall Of Famers.

I was not saying Jeter was better than Mays. I was simply saying they do deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence. If that sentence was used to answer the question:

Name some Hall Of Famers.

No way will Jeter ever even come close to the top 100 of all time. He would be in the the top 100 Yankees of all time but all time !?!

Not a chance

I have Jeter at 96. Right in front of Jack Clark and right behind Kirby Puckett.

By my own admission I didn't put much thought into this list.

No way will Jeter ever even come close to the top 100 of all time. He would be in the the top 100 Yankees of all time but all time !?!

Not a chance

I have Jeter at 96. Right in front of Jack Clark and right behind Kirby Puckett.

By my own admission I didn't put much thought into this list.

leapin on wall is easy catch,,,u r facing play and u can rebalance...this was in a different league...

Excellent point.

Jeter by the way is not even the best SS of his era but MAX is correct with HOF comparison though I think if Jete was not a Yankee he wouldn't sniff the Hall.

leapin on wall is easy catch,,,u r facing play and u can rebalance...this was in a different league...

Excellent point.

Jeter by the way is not even the best SS of his era but MAX is correct with HOF comparison though I think if Jete was not a Yankee he wouldn't sniff the Hall.

Excellent point.

It's still too early to make that call. He is on his way to 3,000 hits which gets you basically automatically.

We could get into other things about Jeter as well but that could turn this thread into utter chaos. :D

Excellent point.

It's still too early to make that call. He is on his way to 3,000 hits which gets you basically automatically.

We could get into other things about Jeter as well but that could turn this thread into utter chaos. :D

Ha ha 4,000 hits.....If Jete gets 3000 it is largely due to the protection the Yankee lineup affords him.

Again he is a good player but not even the best SS of his era.

In fact the pile on Arod scenario last year by Yankee fans is now also a dead issue.

Anyone still think Jeter is a better ball player then Arod?

Ha ha 4,000 hits.....If Jete gets 3000 it is largely due to the protection the Yankee lineup affords him.

Again he is a good player but not even the best SS of his era.

In fact the pile on Arod scenario last year by Yankee fans is now also a dead issue.

Anyone still think Jeter is a better ball player then Arod?

Archived