Justin Miller Arrested: MERGED

BP

you don't accidentally punch someone in the face. It doesn't happen. He broke the law, plain and simple. He punch a woman in the face and ran from cops. I think he should be banned for life from the nfl. But he probably won't be.

LOL

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah why not? he ran from the police, assaulted a woman, screw him he doesn't deserve to make millions of dollars a year to play a game. Make an example of this guy.

LOL

I love how it just assumed that Revis would take over the Kick Returner duties. You are talking about a guy who projects as the #1 CB on the team. I'm not saying he will be right away but to risk him on returns is not the way to go. Also, Miller is not so easily replaced in that role. The guy is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball and has proved that on many of his returns. He had many big returns that either set them up to win a game or got them back in to a game they were out of. Field position is key to winning football games and Miller is the key to the Jets field position.

Why would Miller be returning punts anyway? That is Leon Washington's job the last time I checked. Also, returning and fielding punts is actually much different than a kickoff. There is much more of a chance for their to be spin on the ball and much less time to prepare to run it back.

As far as him being suspended, it is counter-productive to the team right now. I'm not saying that if he is guilty they should just let him off but Mangini should let the league handle that sort of thing. They need as many game-ready CB's as they can have this year with all the moves New England made. Miller is better as a nickel or dime back than anyone they are gonna find at this point in time. Maybe he should be given a game or two by Mangini but let's not get nuts here. This is his first offense as a member of the NFL IF he is even guilty. Goodell will not be able to hand out a big suspension. Even if he is guilty, the guy got into a fight at a club which is stupid but really not that big of a deal when compared to other offenses that have been committed by NFL players.

POTW Nom

I love how it just assumed that Revis would take over the Kick Returner duties. You are talking about a guy who projects as the #1 CB on the team. I'm not saying he will be right away but to risk him on returns is not the way to go. Also, Miller is not so easily replaced in that role. The guy is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball and has proved that on many of his returns. He had many big returns that either set them up to win a game or got them back in to a game they were out of. Field position is key to winning football games and Miller is the key to the Jets field position.

Why would Miller be returning punts anyway? That is Leon Washington's job the last time I checked. Also, returning and fielding punts is actually much different than a kickoff. There is much more of a chance for their to be spin on the ball and much less time to prepare to run it back.

As far as him being suspended, it is counter-productive to the team right now. I'm not saying that if he is guilty they should just let him off but Mangini should let the league handle that sort of thing. They need as many game-ready CB's as they can have this year with all the moves New England made. Miller is better as a nickel or dime back than anyone they are gonna find at this point in time. Maybe he should be given a game or two by Mangini but let's not get nuts here. This is his first offense as a member of the NFL IF he is even guilty. Goodell will not be able to hand out a big suspension. Even if he is guilty, the guy got into a fight at a club which is stupid but really not that big of a deal when compared to other offenses that have been committed by NFL players.

What????

Counter-productive to the team?

If Mangini wants to emulate the Patriots' way of character guys, how is allowing him to play productive to the team? It will destroy everything they are trying to do as a team.

Am I sticking up for Miller? No, not really...

But anyone and everyone on this site who is talking down on him really needs to STFU untill you know what really happen.

Im sure everyone goes out once in a while to the clubs... I do all the time with my girl, if you dont get out at all... Well I think you should. Miller is a NFL player who is getting paid to do something that he loves. So what if he is "Famous" He never asked for it. So what if he went out to a damn club and was there till 4:00... He is living his life and you only live once. So what that he got into a fight... If your a damn grown man and never been in a fight, more power to you... But sometimes a man has to be a man and you have to stick up for yourself. Yea he hit a girl and that wrong, but did he mean to? No.

Ill tell you one thing, Justin went to the club looking to have a fun time... I bet my bottom dollar that he aint go to the club looking to fight, why would he? He has so many other things he can do. But at the same time I can bet my bottom dollar that he was in a club with some drunk who was jealous of him for what ever reason. Im sorry but in clubs... Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.

Everyone needs to stop and think, if not stfu... No1 knows what happen, not even myself. But I do know one thing... He did not go out and start a fight.

I hope this post a joke. You're trying to tell us to "wait for the details", then go on to wildly speculate on WHY all this occurred.

I hope this post a joke. You're trying to tell us to "wait for the details", then go on to wildly speculate on WHY all this occurred.

No.

Now you see what Patriots' fan has to deal with.....a lot.

When did everybody get all hardassed about assault? This is the NFL. The entire league is based on assault. It's a violent game, played by violent people. Plenty of high character type guys have had some legal trouble- Hampton, Jumbo Elliot and plenty of others. Should he be punished? Sure, but more than a quarter of a season for a 3rd degree misdemeanor? I think the punishment is getting excessive.

There's a waiver when you play the game, there is no waiver when you walk into a club. There's a difference between tackling somebody who is paid millions of dollars with referees and coaches watching on, and punching somebody in a club. Heck, you couldn't get away with that on the football field either, if you take the helmet off that's a fine, how are you going to punch somebody in the face? There's also all that padding.

Cops also have a very stressful and violent job, should they be allowed to treat normal civilians the same way as they treat criminals?

There's a waiver when you play the game, there is no waiver when you walk into a club. There's a difference between tackling somebody who is paid millions of dollars with referees and coaches watching on, and punching somebody in a club. Heck, you couldn't get away with that on the football field either, if you take the helmet off that's a fine, how are you going to punch somebody in the face? There's also all that padding.

Cops also have a very stressful and violent job, should they be allowed to treat normal civilians the same way as they treat criminals?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that punching somebody in a club = playing football. I'm saying that violent men play football and violent men are often (much more often than the general public) involved in altercations that result in assault arrests. This is a red flag, but the kid isn't exactly a multiple repeat offender like PacMan or Tank. I'm shocked that people are calling for him to be cut. I find that ridiculous. Unless you're a competing gm or special teams coach.

Look, folks. There is a thin line between supporting your players and BLINDLY supporting them. If there was some grave injustice done to someone on the team, then I can see people standing up for a player. But this is NOT that type of situation. Let me go point-by-point here on what some of you have been saying and give my 2 cents:

1) NFL athletes are aggressive. They get into fights. So what?

This type of reasoning presents the opinion that NFL players are ABOVE the law because of their profession or disposition. That would be like me saying that, because I'm a man and have sexual tendencies, that it is OK for me to harrass a woman from time to time.

NFL players need to be held to a higher standard than the average citizen because they are: 1) in the public eye, and 2) are paid large sums of money to do what they do. NFL players should not get special treatment; they should be dealt as harshly or MORESO than other businesses.

2) We don't know all the facts. We can't speculate here.

True. But we know these things: 1) Justin Miller was in a club at 4 AM. 2) He struck a woman in the face. 3) He ran from the police. 4) Miller has displayed a previous disposition toward criminality, getting arrested not long before he got drafted, which helped to move him from the 1st to the 2nd round.

Roger Goodell and the rest of the NFL didn't need "all the facts" to punish Tank Johnson or Pac Man Jones, did they? Not that Miller is in that same category, but you get the idea. The NFL does NOT play games with these situations. If you make the NFL look bad, you're going to pay.

3) Miller is our best kick returner. We can't just suspend/cut him.

I can make a couple arguments here:

OPTION 1: First of all, if we don't punish Miller, the NFL most certainly will do so (see my last response). Better to pre-emptively suspend Miller and deal with this "in-house" than wait until Goodell makes the call. It will send a better message to all parties involved.

OPTION 2: You could also make the argument that suspending Miller is not enough. Cutting him might be necesarry. Let's face it: kick returners are not indisposable. Miller may have been great at what he did last season, but no one player is bigger than the team. Cutting Miller would allow Mangini to assert that character MATTERS for this organization.

I would prefer option 1 here (greatly), but I must stress that the Jets MUST be the ones to make the first move, any way you look at it.

Look, folks. There is a thin line between supporting your players and BLINDLY supporting them. If there was some grave injustice done to someone on the team, then I can see people standing up for a player. But this is NOT that type of situation. Let me go point-by-point here on what some of you have been saying and give my 2 cents:

1) NFL athletes are aggressive. They get into fights. So what?

This type of reasoning presents the opinion that NFL players are ABOVE the law because of their profession or disposition. That would be like me saying that, because I'm a man and have sexual tendencies, that it is OK for me to harrass a woman from time to time.

NFL players need to be held to a higher standard than the average citizen because they are: 1) in the public eye, and 2) are paid large sums of money to do what they do. NFL players should not get special treatment; they should be dealt as harshly or MORESO than other businesses.

2) We don't know all the facts. We can't speculate here.

True. But we know these things: 1) Justin Miller was in a club at 4 AM. 2) He struck a woman in the face. 3) He ran from the police. 4) Miller has displayed a previous disposition toward criminality, getting arrested not long before he got drafted, which helped to move him from the 1st to the 2nd round.

Roger Goodell and the rest of the NFL didn't need "all the facts" to punish Tank Johnson or Pac Man Jones, did they? Not that Miller is in that same category, but you get the idea. The NFL does NOT play games with these situations. If you make the NFL look bad, you're going to pay.

3) Miller is our best kick returner. We can't just suspend/cut him.

I can make a couple arguments here:

OPTION 1: First of all, if we don't punish Miller, the NFL most certainly will do so (see my last response). Better to pre-emptively suspend Miller and deal with this "in-house" than wait until Goodell makes the call. It will send a better message to all parties involved.

OPTION 2: You could also make the argument that suspending Miller is not enough. Cutting him might be necesarry. Let's face it: kick returners are not indisposable. Miller may have been great at what he did last season, but no one player is bigger than the team. Cutting Miller would allow Mangini to assert that character MATTERS for this organization.

I would prefer option 1 here (greatly), but I must stress that the Jets MUST be the ones to make the first move, any way you look at it.

Nice post. I'm not defending Miller because I think what he did was right or that he shouldn't be punished. I'm defending him because I think it's questionable whether what he did even warrants a suspension, let alone a half or full season or his outright release. Miller is a 23 year old kid and has had NO other problem in his time in the NFL.

What????

Counter-productive to the team?

If Mangini wants to emulate the Patriots' way of character guys, how is allowing him to play productive to the team? It will destroy everything they are trying to do as a team.

PUHLEEEEZE

The pats have a bunch of questionable character players on their team. That includues those sb teams too.

Nice post. I'm not defending Miller because I think what he did was right or that he shouldn't be punished. I'm defending him because I think it's questionable whether what he did even warrants a suspension, let alone a half or full season or his outright release. Miller is a 23 year old kid and has had NO other problem in his time in the NFL.

well he did have major trouble a few weeks before drafted,,

smoke/fire..

lets hope this NATIONAL incident, as compared to the little fracas at college will wake him up. What he did the other night was major thug behavior, ,I hope he isnt in to the whole posse, thug thing..

also a drunk charge in 2002,,

piling up

Freshman admits driving drunk

Clemson freshman Justin Miller pleaded guilty to a drunken driving charge on July 19, an official from the district court clerk's office in Owensboro, Ky., said Tuesday.

Miller, 18, was cited for a blood alcohol content of 0.104 on June 29 in Owensboro by officer Russ Day, according to court records. His driver's license was suspended for 90 days, and he was required to pay a $250 fine plus court costs and attend counseling.

Court records show that Miller still owes $618.85 for the fine and court costs. Miller read a statement written in his own hand Tuesday after his first practice with Clemson.

"I certainly made a mistake at home earlier this summer," Miller said. "I'm sorry about it, and I'll do whatever is required in terms of discipline and any counseling. I take full responsibility for my actions, and I look forward to putting this behind me."

"I certainly made a mistake at home earlier this summer," Miller said. "I'm sorry about it, and I'll do whatever is required in terms of discipline and any counseling. I take full responsibility for my actions, and I look forward to putting this behind me."

Sounds familiar. What a POS.

I feel bad for the woman...I really do. But does anybody else find it funny he swung at a dude,missed and punched a chick in the face?

I mean...there are guys in the NFL right now who have punched women in the face on purpose and still have a job.

Agreed.

Did you ever think that maybe the woman being punched is hearsay? No, because that never happens right? The media is always 100% accurate and "witnesses" always tell the absolute truth.

He issued an apology, not a denial. So I really don't know how you plan on reconciling that, but the fact remains: He punched a girl and then ran away.

:Typotux:

PUHLEEEEZE

The pats have a bunch of questionable character players on their team. That includues those sb teams too.

Who?

Please name one Patriot that has been arrested for assault and running from the police?

Dillon? No arrests as a Patriot.

Moss? Granted, it has been just short of a month, but he has not been arrested.

And when they take someone of questionable character that screws up they are gone. Ex. Jonathan Sullivan

Please give some examples.

The Patriot model is not 53 boy scouts

it's 45 boy scouts and about 8 ballas

J_Mill is a balla, and if the Jets decide to keep him, it's because they are following the Patriots model.

Again, please show me one player that was arrested for assault and running from the police that they kept?

I am not saying the Patriots are a team of choir boys, but the most you can knock a Patriot for is his play on the field.

Who?

Please name one Patriot that has been arrested for assault and running from the police?

And when they take someone of questionable character that screws up they are gone. Ex. Jonathan Sullivan

Again, please show me one player that was arrested for assault and running from the police that they kept?

I am not saying the Patriots are a team of choir boys, but the most you can knock a Patriot for is his play on the field.

Merriweathers been arrested for toting a pistol

Merriweathers been arrested for toting a pistol

Judging from some of the reactions in this post I can see why that would be a problem.

I can see the clear difference in defending someone from sucker punching a women and then running from the cops versus defending a friend that was shot at.

Again, please use someone that was actually on the roster and has been arrested for something that Miller is 'accused' of.

Who?

Corey Dillon - has been arrested before, more than once I believe.

Ty Law - was also arrested after trying to run away from police.

And those 2 are just off the top of my head. And those guys were STAR players, Miller is just a kick returner (a great one), but he's not even a starter, let alone a STAR player like Dillon and Law were.

Just because Dillon wasnt arrested as a Patsy, doesnt mean that he's not lowlife low character player, he is. And BTW, it was a F##KING ACCIDENT that Miller hit the woman.

Corey Dillon - has been arrested before, more than once I believe.

Ty Law - was also arrested after trying to run away from police.

And those 2 are just off the top of my head. And those guys were STAR players, Miller is just a kick returner (a great one), but he's not even a starter, let alone a STAR player like Dillon and Law were.

Just because Dillon wasnt arrested as a Patsy, doesnt mean that he's not lowlife low character player, he is. And BTW, it was a F##KING ACCIDENT that Miller hit the woman.

Dillon was arrested as a Patriot? No. He was arrested in college and in the pros about 6 years before he became a Patriot. With the Patriots he had zero arrests. Again, I am not saying the Patriots are choirboys, but there has been no assualts.

And Ty? Arrested for disobeying a traffic cop. Dumbass ran even, but he did not get himself arrested for assualt.

Whatever happened though to the charges?

Patriots' Law cleared of charges in Miami

Associated Press

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Prosecutors in Miami have dropped all charges against New England Patriots cornerback Ty Law, who was arrested in April after he allegedly led police on a brief foot chase.

Joel Hirschhorn, Law's attorney, said he previously discussed the case with prosecutors, who dropped a charge of disobeying a lawful command by a police officer and the traffic ticket before a hearing Monday.

At the hearing, prosecutor Jonny Mosely dismissed the remaining charge of resisting an officer without violence. Miami-Dade County Judge Jeffrey Schwarz also agreed to return Law's $150 bond.

Mosely had no comment on why the charges were dropped.

"This is a classic case of DWB: driving while black," said Hirschhorn, who wasn't in court. "There was no basis for the arrest."

Again, do you have any examples?

I know almost everyone reading this knows that Justin Miller was arrested at around 4am sunday morning and accused of 3rd degree misdemeanor (assault). After JM punched a woman, he also apparently tried to run from the cops before he got caught (how the police possibly caught up to him still puzzles me). Anyway, I was wondering how this arrest will affect the Jets organization down the road. One obvious way is that the Jets will, most likely, be without their best kick returner for at least the season opener against NE. But, depending on the reprocussions that the league and/or the Jets give to Miller, the team will have to look for other alternatives at both KR and CB. For one, the rumor that Barrett will be a salary cap victim (football terms for cut) is probably no longer feasible considering theyre already starting to lack depth at the position. Another rumor circulating was that Dwight may also be cut, we currently have 7 recievers including Stuckey and Pellot - Rosa, leaving both Dwight and Mccariens expendable. However, if Miller is not available to return kickoffs next season, does that mean we have to keep one, or both of those players as security options at the KR position? This incident was not only bad for JM and the Jets because of the consequences that they will have to pay, but the aftermath of JM's actions may force Tangini into even more uncomfortable situations with other players on the team.

What do you think?

Marquise Walker -- arrested for DUI

Kenyatta Jones -- Arrested for allegedly assaulting his roommate with scalding water.

Terry Glenn -- Arrested on domestic abuse charges

Adrian Klemm -- Arrested on a misdemeanor charge of accusing him of punching another motorist's windshield in a traffic dispute.

But who really cares?

You guys win the battle of least questionable character guys.

Are the 3 superbowls not enough?

I know almost everyone reading this knows that Justin Miller was arrested at around 4am sunday morning and accused of 3rd degree misdemeanor (assault). After JM punched a woman, he also apparently tried to run from the cops before he got caught (how the police possibly caught up to him still puzzles me). Anyway, I was wondering how this arrest will affect the Jets organization down the road. One obvious way is that the Jets will, most likely, be without their best kick returner for at least the season opener against NE. But, depending on the reprocussions that the league and/or the Jets give to Miller, the team will have to look for other alternatives at both KR and CB. For one, the rumor that Barrett will be a salary cap victim (football terms for cut) is probably no longer feasible considering theyre already starting to lack depth at the position. Another rumor circulating was that Dwight may also be cut, we currently have 7 recievers including Stuckey and Pellot - Rosa, leaving both Dwight and Mccariens expendable. However, if Miller is not available to return kickoffs next season, does that mean we have to keep one, or both of those players as security options at the KR position? This move was not only bad for JM and the Jets because of the consequences that they will have to pay, but the aftermath of JM's actions may force Tangini into even more uncomfortable situations with other players on the team.

What do you think?

What!? Who says Miller is being released? If he is, who said he's to be cut, and not traded? This is a ridiculously uneducated thread.....

Fact is, nobody truly knows what happened (just yet).

Reports vary from Miller fighting a crowd of foul-mouthed women, to fighting three men. They also vary from Miller being picked up by a police-car, to being delivered to the club by out-of-breath officers.

He could have straight up punched a woman, or he could have attempted to defend himself from getting "jumped"... Truth is, we don't know yet. So deciding what coach will do is a bit premature.

I know almost everyone reading this knows that Justin Miller was arrested at around 4am sunday morning and accused of 3rd degree misdemeanor (assault). After JM punched a woman, he also apparently tried to run from the cops before he got caught (how the police possibly caught up to him still puzzles me). Anyway, I was wondering how this arrest will affect the Jets organization down the road. One obvious way is that the Jets will, most likely, be without their best kick returner for at least the season opener against NE. But, depending on the reprocussions that the league and/or the Jets give to Miller, the team will have to look for other alternatives at both KR and CB. For one, the rumor that Barrett will be a salary cap victim (football terms for cut) is probably no longer feasible considering theyre already starting to lack depth at the position. Another rumor circulating was that Dwight may also be cut, we currently have 7 recievers including Stuckey and Pellot - Rosa, leaving both Dwight and Mccariens expendable. However, if Miller is not available to return kickoffs next season, does that mean we have to keep one, or both of those players as security options at the KR position? This incident was not only bad for JM and the Jets because of the consequences that they will have to pay, but the aftermath of JM's actions may force Tangini into even more uncomfortable situations with other players on the team.

What do you think?

It's way too early to start speculating...but JM could feasibly be cut from the team... who knows really but I don't think we'll miss a beat without him. The only thing you keep him around for is that potential to be a starting CB. If you don't think thats gonna happen then we can find someone else to return kicks that I'm not worried about.

What!? Who says Miller is being released? If he is, who said he's to be cut, and not traded? This is a ridiculously uneducated thread.....

Fact is, nobody truly knows what happened (just yet).

Reports vary from Miller fighting a crowd of foul-mouthed women, to fighting three men. They also vary from Miller being picked up by a police-car, to being delivered to the club by out-of-breath officers.

He could have straight up punched a woman, or he could have attempted to defend himself from getting "jumped"... Truth is, we don't know yet. So deciding what coach will do is a bit premature.

If you read my post, I never said anything about him being released OR traded. There is a possibility that he will be suspended, if not by the league, then by the Jets themselves. Tangini does not want to be known for standing for this crap...

Archived