Justin Miller Arrested: MERGED

BP

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's way too early to start speculating...but JM could feasibly be cut from the team... who knows really but I don't think we'll miss a beat without him. The only thing you keep him around for is that potential to be a starting CB. If you don't think thats gonna happen then we can find someone else to return kicks that I'm not worried about.

You seem to have missed my point. The point is, even if JM is on the roster come Sept. 9th, I very seriously doubt he'll get any playing time in that game, and possibly games following that. I wasn't trying to imply that JM will be cut, I was speculating about what this incident will mean for the Jets going down the road. Since some sort of reprocussion is just about necessary...

Dillon was arrested as a Patriot? No. He was arrested in college and in the pros about 6 years before he became a Patriot. With the Patriots he had zero arrests. Again, I am not saying the Patriots are choirboys, but there has been no assualts.

And Ty? Arrested for disobeying a traffic cop. Dumbass ran even, but he did not get himself arrested for assualt.

Whatever happened though to the charges?

Again, do you have any examples?

Just because Ty Law and Corey Dillon didnt assault somebody, doesnt mean they are good character players.

You're original comment to which I responded.........

Originally Posted by PFSIKH viewpost.gif

What????

Counter-productive to the team?

If Mangini wants to emulate the Patriots' way of character guys, how is allowing him to play productive to the team? It will destroy everything they are trying to do as a team.

You talked about the Pats character guys - BS. They have tons of guys who are not character guys. This comment by you implys that every patsy the last 7 years under Belichick have been great character players.

Its not true - AT ALL.

BTW, taking on a player who's been in far more trouble (Dillon)and just going out of your way to take on a low character guy like him is completely different. Miller was not a problem before this, and the Jets didnt just go out and trade for him after he got arrested, like the pats did with Dillon.

Bottom line. Dillon and Ty Law were NOT "character guys", yet they didnt "destroy everything". And Millers incidents were not nearly as troublesome as Dillons were.

Miller's place on this team won't be decided until the true facts of his case surface. Even then, It's fair to assume that he'll either be found guilty, or not. Right?

If found guilty, it is a third degree misdemeanor, the second to last severe penalty on a chart of crime severity.

Still, the Jets have already filed with the commish, meaning they will hopefully digress to the league's punishment; which is probably in the best interest of Miller, as Mangini is likely to stir up a far more severe penalty. If no suspensions are ordered, I would expect to see Justin running laps until the season starts. That would (1) make Miller a better athlete, and (2) teach him that the team relies on his not being a turd.

If found not guilty, I'd still expect to see some lap running; if anything, for the smearing he's caused the team.

In response to his limited playing (likely Jet induced suspension), If Miller plays against NE, I would suspect that they know better than to kick his way, and that Revis was brought in to play CB... Also, Miller,who is now probably penciled-in to playing the slot, can be easily replaced by either Poteat, or Coleman; so his absence in one, or two games (NE and BAL) shouldn't harm the team too much. It might even serve as a handy scape-goat should we lose those games.

My only hope is: should Mangini find that Miller's antics make him an unsuitable JET, that we get something for his return. I think a great trading partner can be found in the Pittsburgh Steelers, who lack talent at both CB and KR. I'd love to see this fiasco be a catalyst to acquiring Faneca.

Miller and Kendall, for Faneca and a fourth-round pick? I wouldn't complain.

Hell, Miller's two touch-downs wouldn't even start to compare to what we could score with a dominant O-Line (featuring Faneca).

Miller's place on this team won't be decided until the true facts of his case surface. Even then, It's fair to assume that he'll either be found guilty, or not. Right?

If found guilty, it is a third degree misdemeanor, the second to last severe penalty on a chart of crime severity.

Still, the Jets have already filed with the commish, meaning they will hopefully digress to the league's punishment; which is probably in the best interest of Miller, as Mangini is likely to stir up a far more severe penalty. If no suspensions are ordered, I would expect to see Justin running laps until the season starts. That would (1) make Miller a better athlete, and (2) teach him that the team relies on his not being a turd.

If found not guilty, I'd still expect to see some lap running; if anything, for the smearing he's caused the team.

In response to his limited playing (likely Jet induced suspension), If Miller plays against NE, I would suspect that they know better than to kick his way, and that Revis was brought in to play CB... Also, Miller,who is now probably penciled-in to playing the slot, can be easily replaced by either Poteat, or Coleman; so his absence in one, or two games (NE and BAL) shouldn't harm the team too much. It might even serve as a handy scape-goat should we lose those games.

My only hope is: should Mangini find that Miller's antics make him an unsuitable JET, that we get something for his return. I think a great trading partner can be found in the Pittsburgh Steelers, who lack talent at both CB and KR. I'd love to see this fiasco be a catalyst to acquiring Faneca.

Miller and Kendall, for Faneca and a fourth-round pick? I wouldn't complain.

Hell, Miller's two touch-downs wouldn't even start to compare to what we could score with a dominant O-Line (featuring Faneca).

Sign me up.

Just because Ty Law and Corey Dillon didnt assault somebody, doesnt mean they are good character players.

Bottom line. Dillon and Ty Law were NOT "character guys", yet they didnt "destroy everything". And Millers incidents were not nearly as troublesome as Dillons were.

IIRC, Ty Law was arrested while he was with the Pats.

Theres no-way! Miller gets suspended for the entire season ,4 GAMES WOULD BE A MAJOR SUSPENTION since we play our 3 division rivals in the first 4 games & balt. is a conf. opp. & a loss to them could come back to haunt us with the head to head match up when decideing that last wild card spot....Pac man-jones had like 10 priors thats why he got suspended for the entire season

What????

Counter-productive to the team?

If Mangini wants to emulate the Patriots' way of character guys, how is allowing him to play productive to the team? It will destroy everything they are trying to do as a team.

Miller is only one of the best Kick Returners in the league and if there is anything the Jets need this year against the rival Patriots this year it is CB's. They need as many as they can have and as much as Miller has disappointed at the position he is still experienced and better than some of the alternatives.

Yes, it would be counter-productive to the team to let Miller go. Oh, and if they are emulating the Patriots maybe they should not only keep Miller but they can sign A.J. Nicholson and work out a trade for Pacman Jones (based on their influx of "character" guys this offseason). Is T.O. available too?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that punching somebody in a club = playing football. I'm saying that violent men play football and violent men are often (much more often than the general public) are involved in altercations that result in assault arrests. This is a red flag, but the kid isn't exactly a multiple repeat offender like PacMan or Tank. I'm shocked that people are calling for him to be cut. I find that ridiculous. Unless you're a competing gm or special teams coach.

Cutting Miller would be insane!!!! I don't care if he has become the CB they wanted ... he is still a good CB (nickel/dime) and a GREAT return man!

well he did have major trouble a few weeks before drafted,,

smoke/fire..

lets hope this NATIONAL incident, as compared to the little fracas at college will wake him up. What he did the other night was major thug behavior, ,I hope he isnt in to the whole posse, thug thing..

He did not have "major" trouble before the draft. He was at a party that got loud. Jesus Christ already with this high morale ground garbage. As if no one here was ever at a loud party in College and mouthed off to a cop or never got into a fight at a club.

Have the Jets become the Christian Boys Club or are they still a professional football team?

also a drunk charge in 2002,,

piling up

Freshman admits driving drunk

Clemson freshman Justin Miller pleaded guilty to a drunken driving charge on July 19, an official from the district court clerk's office in Owensboro, Ky., said Tuesday.

Miller, 18, was cited for a blood alcohol content of 0.104 on June 29 in Owensboro by officer Russ Day, according to court records. His driver's license was suspended for 90 days, and he was required to pay a $250 fine plus court costs and attend counseling.

Court records show that Miller still owes $618.85 for the fine and court costs. Miller read a statement written in his own hand Tuesday after his first practice with Clemson.

"I certainly made a mistake at home earlier this summer," Miller said. "I'm sorry about it, and I'll do whatever is required in terms of discipline and any counseling. I take full responsibility for my actions, and I look forward to putting this behind me."

Nobody ever drove drunk either? Especially at 18 ... what a bad man he is ... an evil man that should be put in prison for life

He issued an apology, not a denial. So I really don't know how you plan on reconciling that, but the fact remains: He punched a girl and then ran away.

:Typotux:

He issued a canned apology. He is not allowed to speak about the details of the charges yet as per his lawyer. He didn't say I am sorry for punching the woman in the face, did he?

Judging from some of the reactions in this post I can see why that would be a problem.

I can see the clear difference in defending someone from sucker punching a women and then running from the cops versus defending a friend that was shot at.

Again, please use someone that was actually on the roster and has been arrested for something that Miller is 'accused' of.

Now he "sucker-punched" a woman? I love the reaction people in this country have to incidents reported by the media without knowing anything about what happened. Ridiculous!

I am officially giving up on this topic. Let the Jets Management decide what to do with Miller after the whole thing is settled. None of us have a say in it anyway.

Miller is only one of the best Kick Returners in the league and if there is anything the Jets need this year against the rival Patriots this year it is CB's. They need as many as they can have and as much as Miller has disappointed at the position he is still experienced and better than some of the alternatives.

Yes, it would be counter-productive to the team to let Miller go. Oh, and if they are emulating the Patriots maybe they should not only keep Miller but they can sign A.J. Nicholson and work out a trade for Pacman Jones (based on their influx of "character" guys this offseason). Is T.O. available too?

You are missing the point.

I am not saying he is not talented, at least as a KO returner. I could not agree more if the Patriots' moves works out, they need more DBs. Got it.

Here is my point. If Mangini wants to maintain his credibility with the players, he must do something if Miller is convicted. He cannot look away just because the player is talented. One, it means all that character stuff he drills into the team at practice and in meetings is BS. Then the next guy who faces the same decision might make the same bad one.

Belichick faces the same thing everytime he lets some walks because of money. He cannot say he only pays top dollar to the top players and then give a player like Assante, a good player, but not one of the top 2 or 3 CBs top money. Belichick maintains the company line.

If Mangini is going to walk the character guy line, if Miller is found guilty, he needs to make an example of him.

You're original comment to which I responded.........

You talked about the Pats character guys - BS. They have tons of guys who are not character guys. This comment by you implys that every patsy the last 7 years under Belichick have been great character players.

Its not true - AT ALL.

BTW, taking on a player who's been in far more trouble (Dillon)and just going out of your way to take on a low character guy like him is completely different. Miller was not a problem before this, and the Jets didnt just go out and trade for him after he got arrested, like the pats did with Dillon.

Actually, Miller had been arrested two times before.

As I have said previous times, the Patriots are not a team of choirboys. Say what you want, but they have a system that works. Unlike the Colts, who have had four arrests in the post Superbowl celebration.

Again, whether these players check their ego at the door, they seem to conform for the most part or they are cut like Jonathan Sullivan last year who was cut after his pot arrest.

Fuel, not that I really disagree with you, but did you need 15 consecutive posts to get your point across? It's almost like you're arguing with yourself. I wouldn't downplay the drunk driving arrest. It's a fairly serious issue. I've thrown my share of loud parties and mouth off to damn near anyone, but you know what? I've never been arrested. Can you imagine that? Fact is this is his first offense as a Jet or as a member of the NFL, let's not treat him like an uncontrollable deviant. He's still a kid now, a certain amount of immaturity is to be expected. Teach him, discipline him and move on.

I am not saying he is not talented, at least as a KO returner. I could not agree more if the Patriots' moves works out, they need more DBs. Got it.

Here is my point. If Mangini wants to maintain his credibility with the players, he must do something if Miller is convicted. He cannot look away just because the player is talented. One, it means all that character stuff he drills into the team at practice and in meetings is BS. Then the next guy who faces the same decision might make the same bad one.

Belichick faces the same thing everytime he lets some walks because of money. He cannot say he only pays top dollar to the top players and then give a player like Assante, a good player, but not one of the top 2 or 3 CBs top money. Belichick maintains the company line.

If Mangini is going to walk the character guy line, if Miller is found guilty, he needs to make an example of him.

As I have said previous times, the Patriots are not a team of choirboys. Say what you want, but they have a system that works. Unlike the Colts, who have had four arrests in the post Superbowl celebration.

Again, whether these players check their ego at the door, they seem to conform for the most part or they are cut like Jonathan Sullivan last year who was cut after his pot arrest.

No offense, but cutting Jonathan Sullivan is a lot easier decision than cutting Justin Miller. I do agree that Mangini has to do something IF Miller is convicted, but that something does not have to be cutting him or trading him. He can give him limited playing time until he earns his way back into the circle of trust or even sit him for a couple of games but I'll leave that decision up to him and I have faith that he will make the right one. It also all depends on what happens both legally and the NFL's reaction to the incident.

Fuel, not that I really disagree with you, but did you need 15 consecutive posts to get your point across? It's almost like you're arguing with yourself. I wouldn't downplay the drunk driving arrest. It's a fairly serious issue. I've thrown my share of loud parties and mouth off to damn near anyone, but you know what? I've never been arrested. Can you imagine that? Fact is this is his first offense as a Jet or as a member of the NFL, let's not treat him like an uncontrollable deviant. He's still a kid now, a certain amount of immaturity is to be expected. Teach him, discipline him and move on.

That's what I'm saying. The guy has made a few mistakes but I think it is blown way out of proportion by people who want to judge without looking at themselves. I still don't think that it is a huge deal that a guy got a DUI before he was even 20 years old. Maybe it's because I could have gotten a lot of DUI's prior to being 20 myself and there are not many people I knew growing up that you couldn't say the same of. It's not an intelligent thing to do but it is something that many college age kids do. Yes, he needs to be disciplined in some way but people seem to be getting way out of control on this. Then again, it will be the F.O.'s decision and I have faith they will make the right one.

Sorry to make all those posts but I was reacting to people that reacted to what I had to say.

:bag:

That's what I'm saying. The guy has made a few mistakes but I think it is blown way out of proportion by people who want to judge without looking at themselves. I still don't think that it is a huge deal that a guy got a DUI before he was even 20 years old. Maybe it's because I could have gotten a lot of DUI's prior to being 20 myself and there are not many people I knew growing up that you couldn't say the same of. It's not an intelligent thing to do but it is something that many college age kids do. Yes, he needs to be disciplined in some way but people seem to be getting way out of control on this. Then again, it will be the F.O.'s decision and I have faith they will make the right one.

Sorry to make all those posts but I was reacting to people that reacted to what I had to say.

:bag:

YOur right, JF, a lot of guys you know and I know when i was growing up

did do a lot of drinking before they were 21. Hell, when i was teenager they

didn't have seat belts or air bags so we were more a risk driving a car.

The problem is that every day the media and the teams are harping on the new personal

conduct policy. A NFL player has to be an idiot not to take heed of this.

So what does MIller do, he's out at 4 AM partying!

I will bet that Mangini when the smoke clears and MIller if he is found

involved in all of this throws the book at him to the limit that the policies allow.

He did not have "major" trouble before the draft. He was at a party that got loud. Jesus Christ already with this high morale ground garbage. As if no one here was ever at a loud party in College and mouthed off to a cop or never got into a fight at a club.

Have the Jets become the Christian Boys Club or are they still a professional football team?

uh,, maybe #1,, but not many have done #2 and #3..

maybe you need to evaluate your values system :confused:

Nobody ever drove drunk either? Especially at 18 ... what a bad man he is ... an evil man that should be put in prison for life

again, 2nd offense, now 3rd,,

when do yo ustop excusing him? when he kills one of your family members driving drunk?

you seriously need to evaluate your values system,, you may be headed to problems...

miller clearly hasnt learned his lesson..

of course early trouble should be looked at and hope he improves,, BUT he didnt..he keeps offending..

so do I,, they just need to a) punish him, and B) get him some help. 3rd offense is a warning sign,, a big one.

SJ, I agree it's a problem, but I don't see it as being that big of a warning sign. He's a kid. Probably a punk/thug, but it's not like he can't keep out of trouble. Sure it's three incidents, but it's over the course of about five years and as far as we know the legal system has no problems with him outside of the current beef. He's not a Pac Man Jones on double secret probation.

SJ, I agree it's a problem, but I don't see it as being that big of a warning sign. He's a kid. Probably a punk/thug, but it's not like he can't keep out of trouble. Sure it's three incidents, but it's over the course of about five years and as far as we know the legal system has no problems with him outside of the current beef. He's not a Pac Man Jones on double secret probation.

No one is up to his level, Pac-Man should be gone for good.

again, 2nd offense, now 3rd,,

when do yo ustop excusing him? when he kills one of your family members driving drunk?

you seriously need to evaluate your values system,, you may be headed to problems...

miller clearly hasnt learned his lesson..

of course early trouble should be looked at and hope he improves,, BUT he didnt..he keeps offending..

I wasn't aware that he had more than one DUI when he was 18. I could have gotten more than a few when I was 18. Don't tell me to re-evaluate my values as if you are some sort of moral police and no I am not headed for problems just because I can excuse a guy for drinking and driving when he is a teenager. You make it sound like the guy is Hannibal Lechter or worse, Pacman Jones!

:eek:

YOur right, JF, a lot of guys you know and I know when i was growing up

did do a lot of drinking before they were 21. Hell, when i was teenager they

didn't have seat belts or air bags so we were more a risk driving a car.

The problem is that every day the media and the teams are harping on the new personal

conduct policy. A NFL player has to be an idiot not to take heed of this.

So what does MIller do, he's out at 4 AM partying!

I will bet that Mangini when the smoke clears and MIller if he is found

involved in all of this throws the book at him to the limit that the policies allow.

You're probably right and I have faith he will make the right decision, whatever that may be.

I wasn't aware that he had more than one DUI when he was 18. I could have gotten more than a few when I was 18. Don't tell me to re-evaluate my values as if you are some sort of moral police and no I am not headed for problems just because I can excuse a guy for drinking and driving when he is a teenager. You make it sound like the guy is Hannibal Lechter or worse, Pacman Jones!

:eek:

u need to reavaulate your values, if u are excusing him for his THIRD violation,, thats my point

Do you really want to compare the Pats cutting Sullivan to the Jets cutting Miller?

1st of all, Sullivan was a huge BUST for the saints, and the pats had nothing to lose by cutting him. If the Jets cut Miller, they will feel the loss of him. When the pats cut Sullivan, it was no biggie, no loss.

Completetly different situation. Sullivan was a worthless player, Miller is already proven he has some value.

You have a right to your opinion but I disagree.

is it because you want to be excused for similar actions? or you believe that people shouldn't obey the law? or you feel drunken fighting is okay? or is it running from the police that you feel is okay?

The facts are that this is Miller's first offense while on an NFL roster. The league cannot punish him for actions that occured while he was not in the NFL. This is his first offense while in the league and less than a DUI or shooting so I do not see a suspension in his future, unless of course the Jets as an organization want to hand one out. A fine is probably, a suspension is unlikely.

The facts are that this is Miller's first offense while on an NFL roster. The league cannot punish him for actions that occured while he was not in the NFL. This is his first offense while in the league and less than a DUI or shooting so I do not see a suspension in his future, unless of course the Jets as an organization want to hand one out. A fine is probably, a suspension is unlikely.

You're saying that assault and running from the cops isn't as bad as a DUI?

Archived