Derek Jeter ties Joe Dimaggio on career hits list

Maybe in bad haircuts.

to be fair Jeter has ten years of baseball left in him if he wants to play. there is no saying that he doesn't have a shot if he plays like he has this year.

to be fair Jeter has ten years of baseball left in him if he wants to play. there is no saying that he doesn't have a shot if he plays like he has this year.

Assuming he finishes this year with 200 hits,that'd put Jeter at 2350. That would put him 1,906 hits behind Rose and he'll be 34 next month. That would mean Jeter would need to average 190 hits per year until he's 44. He has a shot if he can maintain his career average for 10 more years

Assuming he finishes this year with 200 hits,that'd put Jeter at 2350. That would put him 1,906 hits behind Rose and he'll be 34 next month. That would mean Jeter would need to average 190 hits per year until he's 44. He has a shot if he can maintain his career average for 10 more years

What are the chances Jeter can play for another ten years? I'd say if he stays on top of conditioning it isn't impossible. It's a lower chance he's getting 200 hits the last few years but it isn't impossible. No matter how low you feel it is, he still has a shot at it.

Its gonna help when he has 250 hits for the next few years... :lol:

What are the chances Jeter can play for another ten years? I'd say if he stays on top of conditioning it isn't impossible. It's a lower chance he's getting 200 hits the last few years but it isn't impossible. No matter how low you feel it is, he still has a shot at it.

I agree he has a shot at it,I was just posting the numbers so we could see where he was at and where he needed to be. When I went looking at the stats,I expected that he could come close to 4000 but I didn't think he'd be able to get to Rose. Looking at it now though,every year he's played 145+ games,he's gotten at least 183 hits. Now odds are he won't be able to get 190 per year for 10 years,but if he can get 210-215 over the next 5 years its a bit more realistic for him to get 150-165 per year from age 39-44 which would get him in the 4160-4265.

4000 hits is very attainable for Jeter as long as he doesn't get injured or have a serious dropoff in his play.

I agree he has a shot at it,I was just posting the numbers so we could see where he was at and where he needed to be. When I went looking at the stats,I expected that he could come close to 4000 but I didn't think he'd be able to get to Rose. Looking at it now though,every year he's played 145+ games,he's gotten at least 183 hits. Now odds are he won't be able to get 190 per year for 10 years,but if he can get 210-215 over the next 5 years its a bit more realistic for him to get 150-165 per year from age 39-44 which would get him in the 4160-4265.

4000 hits is very attainable for Jeter as long as he doesn't get injured or have a serious dropoff in his play.

I don't think Jeter might sniff 4000, but I doubt that he'll reach rose.

Jeter will pass Rose... bank on it.

The only thing I bank on is you being a homer.

What possible reason would Jeter have to play that long? Rings? Money?

He will be lucky to eclipse 3000.

that is just stupid, barring injury he'll get 3000. some people do love the game and want to play and break records.

C'mon now...maybe talk of 4000 hits is a bit absurd but do you honestly think he won't be able to accumulate 783 more hits in his career? Or are ya just trying to bait yankee fans? Make us :blowup:

that is just stupid, barring injury he'll get 3000. some people do love the game and want to play and break records.

No doubt.

What if he does not want to play when he is 37? You are speculating he wants to break 3000 hits. Which is a goal I would guess he wants.

I am speculating he does not want to. He has money. He has titles. He has had the same manager for his entire career. The Yankees are possibly heading for a messy front office shake-up and maybe rebuilding, relatively speaking, of an old roster. What if he does not want to deal with all this?

He is already a HofFer. 30000 hits is not going to make or break him.

C'mon now...maybe talk of 4000 hits is a bit absurd but do you honestly think he won't be able to accumulate 783 more hits in his career? Or are ya just trying to bait yankee fans? Make us :blowup:

He can. It is whether he wants to.

• Upvote 1
No doubt.

What if he does not want to play when he is 37? You are speculating he wants to break 3000 hits. Which is a goal I would guess he wants.

I am speculating he does not want to. He has money. He has titles. He has had the same manager for his entire career. The Yankees are possibly heading for a messy front office shake-up and maybe rebuilding, relatively speaking, of an old roster. What if he does not want to deal with all this?

He is already a HofFer. 30000 hits is not going to make or break him.

He can. It is whether he wants to.

Your "speculation" is simply absurd. Everything we've seen from Jeter over the last decade plus is that he just loves to play this game and is probably going to play as long as he is physically able to.

If you want to play devil's advocate that's fine but don't pretend what you're saying makes any sense when it does not.

Your "speculation" is simply absurd. Everything we've seen from Jeter over the last decade plus is that he just loves to play this game and is probably going to play as long as he is physically able to.

If you want to play devil's advocate that's fine but don't pretend what you're saying makes any sense when it does not.

Why...because it shows he might want to retire earlier rather then later?

You might want to be a blind homer but there are signs he might retire early.

-George meddlesome ways/ change of ownership. George sunk this franchise for 20+ years. Is it a coincidence that it got better when he was banned and baseball people actually ran it? What happens if he does sell or let someone else run the team? Jeter has had an unmatched run of status quo no other player has had. If George starts to interject more or leaves, things are going to change.

-Joe Torre. He is probably gone sooner rather then later. Like above, Jeter is used to one way. Of course a new manager is going to deal with Jeter differently, but I doubt he gives Jeter the same autonomy Torre did.

-Rebuilding. What if the rebuilding takes longer and the Yankees are mired in the 80-low 90 wins range for a few years. Especially when Giambi and A-Rod are gone and he is again the focal point.

-Changing positions. Jeter was below average fielder until he set up deeper. His range is not going to get any better and a position switch is probably in the future if he wants to play until he is in his 40s. He lacks the power you would want from your DH and he was so receptive to moving when A-Rod came to NY.

-Early success. He does not have that motivator. If things look like they are further away then closer, he might decide to leave sooner rather then later. I have no doubt he wants another title, but he knows how hard it is to get it and how far the Yankees are from getting there.

-33. He will be 33 soon. If Don Mattingly can get pushed into retirement, Jeter can to.

He might play to 43 like Barton said. He also might just want to retire. He has the money and titles.

PFSIKH is right, who knows how hungry JEter will be in 5 years

for all we know he may get injuries along the way (god forbid)

either way only a handful of guys throughout history were better as all around shortstops (honus wagner, pop lloyd, arky vaugn, a-rod etc)