Liddell vs Rampage

4HCrew

I put alot of money on Rampage, and won. I knew he would win again. UFC fighters will now be exposed now that Pride fighters are mixing in. And Dan Henderson will beat Rampage in the next fight. Take that to the bank. Chuck was scared, and it showed.

I put alot of money on Rampage, and won. I knew he would win again. UFC fighters will now be exposed now that Pride fighters are mixing in.

This is exactly what I was saying. I bet they'll line up Liddell to fight Wanderlei for the number 1 contender spot. Now that would be sick. UFC almost has too much talent now. Especially when guys like Shogun, Nogueira and SOKOUDJOU are brought in to compete at 205.

Do you think UFC is going to leave any of the talent over in Japan? What sense would that make financially?

Lidell was overrated and got exposed. I'm surprised that so many people actually liked him, almost everyone I know had always seemingly hated the guy for some reason, a lot of people think he looks like a serial killer or something. Rampage is a good fighter, and gives hilarious interviews. He'll really be able to get interest in MMA going, so the UFC should be overjoyed.

The problem with MMA is the same problem with other sports, most of your money comes from the casual fans, and the casual fans are annoying and stupid. In sports the bandwagon jumping is a little less annoying because people have teams and locations they root for, but in MMA, people always overhype whoever the UFC tells them is hot ****. ESPN is pretty much always wrong about sports, and they're annoying too, but MMA hasn't even developed to that point. Eventually when the fanbase gets older and more mature, and bigger, there should be sites like JN that people can go to in order to skip past the company and media hype machines. It will be awhile though.

Lidell was overrated and got exposed. I'm surprised that so many people actually liked him, almost everyone I know had always seemingly hated the guy for some reason, a lot of people think he looks like a serial killer or something. Rampage is a good fighter, and gives hilarious interviews. He'll really be able to get interest in MMA going, so the UFC should be overjoyed.

The problem with MMA is the same problem with other sports, most of your money comes from the casual fans, and the casual fans are annoying and stupid. In sports the bandwagon jumping is a little less annoying because people have teams and locations they root for, but in MMA, people always overhype whoever the UFC tells them is hot ****. ESPN is pretty much always wrong about sports, and they're annoying too, but MMA hasn't even developed to that point. Eventually when the fanbase gets older and more mature, and bigger, there should be sites like JN that people can go to in order to skip past the company and media hype machines. It will be awhile though.

You don't like Liddell because he looks "like a serial killer" I'm not gonna base my opinions on a fighter just because of how he looks. Unless you're saying they gave him easy fights to defend his title or the competition sucked there is no way you can say he is overrated. I think there is a type of person who hate people who are popular just because they're popular. The guy is 20-4 with 13 knockouts. He isn't the best fighter to ever step in the octagon but he is good. Just because there is one guy better than him doesn't make him overrated or washed up. He is still a very solid fighter who was champ twice. The champ is always gonna get the most press and that is the way it should be.

You don't like Liddell because he looks "like a serial killer" I'm not gonna base my opinions on a fighter just because of how he looks. Unless you're saying they gave him easy fights to defend his title or the competition sucked there is no way you can say he is overrated. I think there is a type of person who hate people who are popular just because they're popular. The guy is 20-4 with 13 knockouts. He isn't the best fighter to ever step in the octagon but he is good. Just because there is one guy better than him doesn't make him overrated or washed up. He is still a very solid fighter who was champ twice. The champ is always gonna get the most press and that is the way it should be.

Read my post again. I didn't say I thought that, I said a lot of people do though.

Chuck has sloppy technique and fights inferior opponents generally. He's a good fighter but he isn't on the level of Rampage, Wanderlei, and a few other PRIDE LHWs. I knew going in that Rampage would take him apart again, didn't think it would be that fast though. It isn't one guy better than him, it's a lot of guys. Chuck would get nowhere in PRIDE. UFC hyped up Cro Cop, and it got annoying listening to people that don't know **** talk about CC being the greatest fighter ever, and babbling about the LHK. Meanwhile a guy like Fedor, people don't know **** about. The same thing about Rampage, people talk up Chuck but they boo Page? I watch a lot of MMA, and I'm in a training gap right now but when I get back to San Diego I'll be training heavily again. It annoys me when people that don't know anything hold themselves out as experts, and will argue with me about things that they're just flat out wrong about. A few months ago this little asian girl actually argued with me about leg kicks, I was befuddled and amused. How are you going to argue about fighting when it's obvious you've never been in a cage and fought quality comp of any level?

I call things as I see em. We're on a Jets board, but for years I've said Tom Brady was the best QB in football (even if he is gay). After the KC game, I posted that what I saw out of Peyton in that game convinced me the Colts would win the Super Bowl, and they did (I think Troll said something about it being easy to be humble after a win in response). It has nothing to do with hating on the mainstream, and everything about wanting to be right, I value being accurate and objective in my observations.

Read my post again. I didn't say I thought that, I said a lot of people do though.

Chuck has sloppy technique and fights inferior opponents generally. He's a good fighter but he isn't on the level of Rampage, Wanderlei, and a few other PRIDE LHWs. I knew going in that Rampage would take him apart again, didn't think it would be that fast though. It isn't one guy better than him, it's a lot of guys. Chuck would get nowhere in PRIDE. UFC hyped up Cro Cop, and it got annoying listening to people that don't know **** talk about CC being the greatest fighter ever, and babbling about the LHK. Meanwhile a guy like Fedor, people don't know **** about. The same thing about Rampage, people talk up Chuck but they boo Page? I watch a lot of MMA, and I'm in a training gap right now but when I get back to San Diego I'll be training heavily again. It annoys me when people that don't know anything hold themselves out as experts, and will argue with me about things that they're just flat out wrong about. A few months ago this little asian girl actually argued with me about leg kicks, I was befuddled and amused. How are you going to argue about fighting when it's obvious you've never been in a cage and fought quality comp of any level?

I call things as I see em. We're on a Jets board, but for years I've said Tom Brady was the best QB in football (even if he is gay). After the KC game, I posted that what I saw out of Peyton in that game convinced me the Colts would win the Super Bowl, and they did (I think Troll said something about it being easy to be humble after a win in response). It has nothing to do with hating on the mainstream, and everything about wanting to be right, I value being accurate and objective in my observations.

Your argument would be good if UFC didn't buy pride, the recognized the talent and got it for themselves. You can't blame a company for hyping up someone who is gonna fight for them and be a headliner, especially in the weeks leading up to that fight. and do you really expect the average person to be an expert on something that they watch on tv maybe once a week? casual fans just don't care about it that much to invest that much, we like to watch people beat on each other and that's that. People generally have too much going on in their lives to pay attention to Japanese Fighting leagues.

Your argument would be good if UFC didn't buy pride, the recognized the talent and got it for themselves. You can't blame a company for hyping up someone who is gonna fight for them and be a headliner, especially in the weeks leading up to that fight. and do you really expect the average person to be an expert on something that they watch on tv maybe once a week? casual fans just don't care about it that much to invest that much, we like to watch people beat on each other and that's that. People generally have too much going on in their lives to pay attention to Japanese Fighting leagues.

Zuffa (not UFC really) buying Pride doesn't change anything. Pride talent is still known as Pride talent and generally had a higher level of competition than that of the UFC talent. Hyping up a UFC talent that will lose to a Pride talent is a bad idea, as it's a waste of resources and it has been argued that casual fans don't like getting behind someone that doesn't win all the time. Rampage was a Pride talent that they neglected to hype, because they thought Lidell would beat him. Cro Cop is a pride talent that they did hype, who got his ass handed to him by a relative unknown (Gonzaga). Part of it is MMA being so unpredictable, but it could also have been the CC mistake haunting their marketing plans. Dana has been quoted as saying something to the effect of having wasted time and money hyping the wrong people (he also mentioned GSP).

Your point about the casual fans is something I mentioned in an earlier post. Yes, the money is made from the casual fan, however, hyping the wrong person is counter-productive because the casual fan wants to see someone win, usually in explosive fashion. I was simply responding to your assertion implicating that I dislike something just because it is mainstream, my response was that isn't really correct, I just hate misinformation. Hype is usually done with misinformation, and marketability will always be favored over completely being correct. I tend to agree with Randy Couture's picks I've found. I don't think Randy picks because he "hates the mainstream", I think he picks based on knowledge of MMA, and the fact that I see eye to eye with him pretty much on everything he says to me is enough to be confident in my observations being accurate (that and the picks usually being right, or at least the observations showing up during the fight).

I'm not sure that we're really arguing though, you might have misunderstood me a little bit. I don't come onto this forum to argue usually, I just post up my thoughts and use it to read what other people think, not to get points in a debate or anything like that.

I think you're kind of missing the point. UFC hypes those guys to make money. From their point of view, making money is the point and making it seem like UFC fighters are/were best in the world makes perfect sense. It's also easier to hype strikers like Chuck and CroCop because they are generally more popular to the American public than some smaller Brazilian guy who twists your an arm out of the socket from the floor where the camera can't see it.

FWIW, Chuck and Q Jackson are probably my two favorite MMA fighters. I just find them more exciting. Silva and the Russian will probably end up beating them both, but hey... what can you do? I love when Jackson goes nuts and tries to powerbomb guys or piledrive them. Some of those fights become too predictable and Rampage is anything but.

Archived