O.T- Great Adventure's new roller coaster

faba

Kingda Ka roars into life

Screams, smiles as new ride debuts

Published in the Asbury Park Press 05/20/05

BY MATT PORIO

TOMS RIVER BUREAU

(STAFF PHOTO: TANYA BREEN)

Riders raise their hands on the Kingda Ka roller coaster Thursday at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson.

KINGDA KA

TYPE OF COASTER: Hydraulic launch

MAXIMUM HEIGHT: 456 ft.

MAXIMUM SPEED: 128 mph

RIDE FEATURES: A hydraulic launch rockets riders horizontally from 0 to 128 mph in

3.5 seconds, then vertically 90 degrees into a quarter turn. Riders crest the coaster's tower, then plunge vertically into a 270-degree (three-quarter) spiral. The train swoops down a valley and climbs a 129-foot second hill, leaving riders feeling weightless before making a left turn back into the station.

NUMBER OF PASSENGERS PER TRAIN: 18

TRACK LENGTH: 3,118 ft.

LENGTH OF THE RIDE: 50.6 seconds

SAFETY SYSTEMS:

Shoulder harness contains two locking devices -- hydraulic cylinders and "check strap'' that fastens into the shoulder

harness. A Dispatch Inhibit System ensures passengers are secured before dispatching.

Source: Six Flags Great Adventure

- advertisements -

JACKSON

Kingda Ka roars into life

Screams, smiles as new ride debuts

Published in the Asbury Park Press 05/20/05

BY MATT PORIO

TOMS RIVER BUREAU

(STAFF PHOTO: TANYA BREEN)

Riders raise their hands on the Kingda Ka roller coaster Thursday at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson.

KINGDA KA

TYPE OF COASTER: Hydraulic launch

MAXIMUM HEIGHT: 456 ft.

MAXIMUM SPEED: 128 mph

RIDE FEATURES: A hydraulic launch rockets riders horizontally from 0 to 128 mph in

3.5 seconds, then vertically 90 degrees into a quarter turn. Riders crest the coaster's tower, then plunge vertically into a 270-degree (three-quarter) spiral. The train swoops down a valley and climbs a 129-foot second hill, leaving riders feeling weightless before making a left turn back into the station.

NUMBER OF PASSENGERS PER TRAIN: 18

TRACK LENGTH: 3,118 ft.

LENGTH OF THE RIDE: 50.6 seconds

SAFETY SYSTEMS:

Shoulder harness contains two locking devices -- hydraulic cylinders and "check strap'' that fastens into the shoulder

harness. A Dispatch Inhibit System ensures passengers are secured before dispatching.

Source: Six Flags Great Adventure

- advertisements -

JACKSON

I saw that ride a few weeks ago before it opened. It is without a doubt the SICKEST, INSANEST looking thing I have ever seen.

I love roller coasters, especially the one's GA but I don't know if I can handle that one. It is one mean looking mutha.

I saw that ride a few weeks ago before it opened. It is without a doubt the SICKEST, INSANEST looking thing I have ever seen.

I love roller coasters, especially the one's GA but I don't know if I can handle that one. It is one mean looking mutha.

i got sick on 1 roller coaster...we went to universal and i went on INCREDIBLE HULK....sick ride very fast...then went on DUELING DRAGONS...that one did it for me...had to run to the john and puked...i never been on a roller coaster since...lol

i got sick on 1 roller coaster...we went to universal and i went on INCREDIBLE HULK....sick ride very fast...then went on DUELING DRAGONS...that one did it for me...had to run to the john and puked...i never been on a roller coaster since...lol

My niece is going to Great Adventure tomorrow on a class trip of her 8th grade class

Will get her opinion on the rides- I know I could not stomach that new one- I am chicken

I have hit every roller coaster in that place. Nitro is pretty intense but kingda Ka makes Nitro look like a kiddie ride.

You really have to see this thing in person. It is so tall that at the peak you can see the Atlantic Ocean which is probably about 20-25 miles to the east !!!

My wife is already busting on me to go but this one may be just a little to intense for me.

Archived