Is Danica Patrick The Most Overrated Person In "Sports"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She's racing. Other than that what has she accomplished?

Rookie of the year in the Indy series.

1st Female driver EVER to lead the Indy 500.

2nd Woman ever to win a pole in the Indy series.

She is only in her 3rd year and has 17 top 10's in 34 races, which is very good for any driver... especially a female driver.

She has only gotten better... finishing 12th ranked overall in 05' up to 9th last year... and she is currently 8th in 07'.

Rookie of the year in the Indy series.

1st Female driver EVER to lead the Indy 500.

2nd Woman ever to win a pole in the Indy series.

She is only in her 3rd year and has 17 top 10's in 34 races, which is very good for any driver... especially a female driver.

She has only gotten better... finishing 12th ranked overall in 05' up to 9th last year... and she is currently 8th in 07'.

Two Words: Anna Kournikova

Two Words: Anna Kournikova

Not even close... Tennis has had many women before Anna... racing is always lacking women...

Now there is one who is pretty good at racing and hot...

Her accomplishments so far as a 3rd year driver would be a DREAM for most new drivers...

people with an internet connection care about racing? since when?

lol

I dont really care about racing... but GOB is wrong here... she is a good driver... and she also earns her money in the media... dont hate on her... she can back it up on the track and has...

The IRL is a tough sport... you dont rack up wins in racing... the best drivers rack up top 5's and top 10's.

"Good" drivers win races. She doesn't.

I heard there are three women in the Indy 500 this year. I hope one of the other two wins. That would make my day.

Jeff Gordon didnt win a race for 2 years when he started in Nascar... now he is one of if nto the best in its history...

Not even close... Tennis has had many women before Anna... racing is always lacking women...

Now there is one who is pretty good at racing and hot...

Her accomplishments so far as a 3rd year driver would be a DREAM for most new drivers...

There are over 150 IRL drivers... Danica is one of the 10 best...

WTF is it your bitching about?

lol

I dont really care about racing... but GOB is wrong here... she is a good driver... and she also earns her money in the media... dont hate on her... she can back it up on the track and has...

The IRL is a tough sport... you dont rack up wins in racing... the best drivers rack up top 5's and top 10's.

See this is what I'm talking about. These 'stats' don't matter, because if Danica has Penis instead of a set of t!ts she's "Just Another Number" in a large field. Go find the people on either side of her on the "Top 10" list and tell me if any of them get more exposure. Not a chance. She gets the press and her ass kissed because she's a female in a "traditionally Men's sport", not for her 'accomplishments. What accomplishments she is noted for usually comes with the "For a Woman" cavieat. She wants to play with the boys, that's cool as hell, but I'm not going to drinkt he Kool-Aid and declare her a superstar until she starts winning like her male counterparts.

As for Jeff Gordon, I hate NASCAR more then the NBA, but even I know he's a fag.

See this is what I'm talking about. These 'stats' don't matter, because if Danica has Penis instead of a set of t!ts she's "Just Another Number" in a large field. Go find the people on either side of her on the "Top 10" list and tell me if any of them get more exposure. Not a chance. She gets the press and her ass kissed because she's a female in a "traditionally Men's sport", not for her 'accomplishments. What accomplishments she is noted for usually comes with the "For a Woman" cavieat. She wants to play with the boys, that's cool as hell, but I'm not going to drinkt he Kool-Aid and declare her a superstar until she starts winning like her male counterparts.

As for Jeff Gordon, I hate NASCAR more then the NBA, but even I know he's a fag.

How do the stats not matter? She doesn't have penis.. the whole point is she is a woman who broke into a male dominated sport and has been successful ...

G.O.B., you take issue with any woman with smaller breasts then you. :strip1:

How do the stats not matter? She doesn't have penis.. the whole point is she is a woman who broke into a male dominated sport and has been successful ...

I believe gob is saying she hasn't been successful at all and is only considered successful because she is a womeing.

First of all - My t!ts rule.

Hey I'm all for women doing things men do. I look forward to the day my daughter is old enough to do something and achieve it. I'm just saying her success in my humble opinion doesn't deserve the amount of attention it gets and that the increased attention is only because of her gender, not talent/ability.

I believe gob is saying she hasn't been successful at all and is only considered successful because she is a womeing.

And an attractive one at that.

If she looked more like Rosie O'Donnel she would not be making any news.

And an attractive one at that.

If she looked more like Rosie O'Donnel she would not be making any news.

Agreed... I don't think all the attention is because she is merely a woman... but more that she is an attractive woman.

God forbid a woman be successful where a man has always dominated. :disgust: Just imagine the implications of that!!! lolSC

Agreed... I don't think all the attention is because she is merely a woman... but more that she is an attractive woman.

God forbid a woman be successful where a man has always dominated. :disgust: Just imagine the implications of that!!! lolSC

The question is where do you draw your moral indignation? She is 8th in her respective standings out of 21. Not bad, not great either.

Unfortunately, has use sex in order to get her name out there.

Dude I have ZERO problem with a woman doing whatever the hell she wants and/or being successful in anything traditionally dominated by males. I look forward to the day my daughter decides to take on any challenge and will support her 100% with whatever that challenge is.

Yes, Patrick has done a pretty decent job while on the circuit and by no means is a failure, not even close. But 8 out of 21 while not bad by any stretch, isn't great by any stretch either, but the press coverage given to her for that 8th place average is entirely disproportionate to tha positioning. The fact is before every race, I'm not seeing 2 weeks of coverage as to whether #7 & #9 have what it takes to win the race and in Patrick's defense, the press isn't harping on whether #7 & #9 HAVE to win this race, like they seem to do with Patrick. So perhaps calling her Overrated is a stretch, but calling the press coverage of her disproportionate is accurate in my opinion.

As for the whole beauty thing, that's such a double standard. For the past 20 years as I've watched women attempt to break into 'male dominated' areas, all I've heard is "we want to be judged on our abilities, our accomplishments, not our looks". Yet day in and day out,

when those 'accomplishments' might not yet be where the female wants them to be or the press expects them to be, everything reverts to the looks of that person as has been clearly proven in this thread. Danica is a beautiful woman and I commend her for her ability to market herself as she has, all the power to her. But it doesn't make her any better of a racer, period.

The thing is, as I understand it, the IRL do not actually have a rule where there is a minimum weight for driver AND car, unlike most other motorsports. As a result, she's drving a car that tends to be a lot lighter than the rest of her rivals, which is one hell of an advantage.

Yet she still has never won a race. In any formula.

Look at Katharine Legge (CART driver), she gets weight penalties to her car to equalise it, yet she's won Toyota Atlantic races in the past. But I guess since Legge isn't as photogenic as Patrick, none of the networks care.

I do hope Sarah Fisher finishes a lap or two ahead of Patrick.

This is what I was joking about before about the Super Bowl, but sadly people didn't realize the sarcasm and took it the wrong way. If you make a big deal about her being "the first woman" to do something, it is implicit that women are inferior and that's why it's such a big deal. If you just ignore that instead and treat her like anyone else with her credentials, she doesn't get the hype and the world just acts like it's normal. But she wants money and so do these, imo, sexist networks, so they hype up the woman aspect.

It's annoying to me how the people that get the most hype are rarely the most talented or able. I think the same is happening in politics, Hillary is a pretty ****ty candidate but she's being pushed for being a woman. I have no problem with women being given a chance, but why not someone that has a proven track record and can actually do her job really well, like say Edith Jones? Nobody knows who she is, but if she were to run she'd be a serious candidate. Oh well whatever, I will get flamed for this too probably because people will misunderstand and think I am racist or sexist again.

The Indy 500 just got called for rain... Danica finished 3rd place as it was where she was running... she had a damn good chance to win...

she sucks... :roll:

ecurb, nobody said she sucks (at least I don't think anybody did) just that she gets overhyped. Can you name the third place finisher for the last 10 years? But you can say where Danica finished in her races right? Doesn't that seem like she is being treated differently than the other 3rd place finishers? Most people probably don't even know who finished 1st or 2nd, I know I don't, but obviously now I know Danica finished 3rd. That is the definition of being overhyped, how can you be better known than the people placing better than you?

Archived