Need help: Linksys wireless connection

Green DNA

My daughter broke the antenna to her wireless internet card (desktop) so I installed a new one last night. I cannot for the life of me get it to work. The set up is as follows:

I have a cable modem plugged into a router and my own computer is hard wired to the router. I have a Netgear access point also plugged into the router and both of my kids have Linksys Wireless G cards which they use to access the internet. When I set this up a couple of years ago, I had friend help me and I am pretty sure that IP address had to be "registered" on the router. However, I can't figure out how to do this and get the new card to work. Can any of you Techies help me out?? Thanks in advance.

It looks like you will have to make some changes on the router. You can access your router through the internet browswer, but I forgot the address to linksys router.

The router is not the problem, I can't connect to the access point. This crap is getting me nuts. A couple more beers though and then I really won't give a crap until tomorrow.

OK but in your first post you said you thought the IP had to be registered on the router.

Why dont you just get a wireless linksys router instead of a router with an access point connected to it?

Does the new card pick up your wireless network? If so, you should be able to select that network and connect. I assume you've password-protected your network, so you might have to type the password.

Also, did you install the drivers for the new card?

OK but in your first post you said you thought the IP had to be registered on the router.

Why dont you just get a wireless linksys router instead of a router with an access point connected to it?

1) I meant the access point, no tthe router

2) I needed the access point because th econnection is in the basement and the other two computers are two floors up. I'm concerned about the signal

Does the new card pick up your wireless network? If so, you should be able to select that network and connect. I assume you've password-protected your network, so you might have to type the password.

Also, did you install the drivers for the new card?

The card does pick up the network and I have installed the drivers. The WAP doesn't seem to recognize the new card. I'm thinking of starting from scratch and re-creating the network

sounds like the problem is either between the access point and the router or the computers and the access point. I would see if you can reset or configure that access point.

also FWIW alot can go wrong with these cheap network solutions, all it takes is a bad static spark and the component becomes a doorstop.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Are you sure the proper network is configured on the card (ad-hoc or infrastructure) Do you have to possibly enter your SSID anywhere in the settings?

If you exhaust your options it would be wise to reset the router and/or access point and start all over. If that doesnt do it than the router or access point may be defected. I had a wireless linksys router go bad on me after a few months.

Archived