So, how much longer is George gonna sit on his hands?

nj meadowlands

What have you done for me lately?

Something needs to be done NOW.

I refuse to watch this team until they decide they want to actually play baseball. It's not losing that bothers me (though it does), it's the WAY they're losing... gutlessly, heartlessly, and effortlessly.

Desalvo walked the 9 hitter with one out in the 5th and Torre and Guidry start jumping around like the earth stopped. It sends a message to Desalvo that they didn't believe in him like they were exepcting the worst. Desalvo promplty lsot the strike zone and statred nibbling. Maybe Desalvo is not a big league pitcher, but may be wehn your manager starts looking to get you out of the game ratehr than let you clean up the mess, you confidence deserts you. Ask Ted Lilly, Javier Vazquez, Jose Contreras, Jeff Weaver.

And the pen got them out of it ,only for a while. But then the bats go silent. It's ugly.

Apparently they held a one hour closed door meeting yesterday. As you can see that really helped.

Billy Martin one time in an attempt to shake the team out of an early season slump, pulled names out of a hat as a lineup. If anything just to kind of loosen the team up a little bit. It's too late though to even do something like that.

the bullpen again was a disgrace. If I ever see Vizcaino again it will be too soon. Vallone isn't much better.

This team needs a shakeup in the worst way. It may though already be too late.

Apparently they held a one hour closed door meeting yesterday. As you can see that really helped.

Billy Martin one time in an attempt to shake the team out of an early season slump, pulled names out of a hat as a lineup. If anything just to kind of loosen the team up a little bit. It's too late though to even do something like that.

the bullpen again was a disgrace. If I ever see Vizcaino again it will be too soon. Vallone isn't much better.

This team needs a shakeup in the worst way. It may though already be too late.

Billy Martin batted a pitcher (Rhoden) 7th one day. I am telling you when you are losing just shake it up. Go crazy for a day. It will loosen things up for them.

Billy Martin batted a pitcher (Rhoden) 7th one day. I am telling you when you are losing just shake it up. Go crazy for a day. It will loosen things up for them.

I'm pretty sure this is the lineup that was drawn from a hat. They had started the season 2-9 and had just lost two straight from the expansion Blue Jays.

Randolph 2b

Munson C

Jackson RF

Nettles 3b

Rivers CF

White LF

May DH

Chambliss 1b

Dent SS

Got this info from what I think is the best baseball history website on the net.

retorsheet.org. It has the box scores and PBP for alot of seasons.

The Yankees won that game 7-5 and started a run in which the Yankees would win 14 of the next 16.

I remember that game. I think it was against Baltimore and Jay Buhner hit his 1st ML homer in that game if I'm not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure this is the lineup that was drawn from a hat. They had started the season 2-9 and had just lost two straight from the expansion Blue Jays.

Randolph 2b

Munson C

Jackson RF

Nettles 3b

Rivers CF

White LF

May DH

Chambliss 1b

Dent SS

Got this info from what I think is the best baseball history website on the net.

retorsheet.org. It has the box scores and PBP for alot of seasons.

The Yankees won that game 7-5 and started a run in which the Yankees would win 14 of the next 16.

the problem with this yankee team is that they don't have the pitching to run off 8-10 wins in a row. there is no way clippard, desalvo, mussina can go through the rotation 2x without getting beat. not to mention the bullpen which is at best a 50/50 proposition. wang and pettite are strong and then it is a freakin crapshoot.

the problem with this yankee team is that they don't have the pitching to run off 8-10 wins in a row. there is no way clippard, desalvo, mussina can go through the rotation 2x without getting beat. not to mention the bullpen which is at best a 50/50 proposition. wang and pettite are strong and then it is a freakin crapshoot.

It isn't about ripping off 8 or 10 in a row. It is about loosening up the suffocating atmoshphere in the clubhouse and winning one game.

Right now Torre (or whoever the manger will be) needs to make baseball fun again for these guys. If takes doing something like that to loosen them up and maybe bring a little laughter to the clubhouse then they should do it.

At this point I take the numbers throw them out the window. Numbers only take you so far. The manager has to have a constant pulse on his team. Are they too tense ? Are the not taking things seriously enough. Right now I think Joe is at a loss over what to do now.

They should not be hitting as bad they have been. The starting pitching has actually been better then it was in April when everyone was getting hurt.

The bullpen still leaves alot to be desired but right now Torre's biggest problem is getting these guys to relax at the plate.

Situational hitting.

This is the Yankee problem right now. I can't recall how many times this season they have had a man on 2B, no one out, and could not get the run in. Happened again last night, after A-Rod led off with a double. They couldn't even get him to 3rd, let alone bring him in.

Another issue is the lack of pitches they take. Every Yankee used to take several pitches each AB. Now, they seem to be swinging at the 1st or 2nd pitch way too often.

They just need to relax.

Torre needs to go.

POS reliever Luis Vizcaino has now faced more batters than every one but 1 other reliever in the AL.How can anyone defend that?

Make the move now, because the playoff ship is sailing.

The numbers don't work right now and may not get better. Only the change of a variable-the manager-can really change much. The Yankees will not play .700 ball nor will the Sawx nor Tiggers or Injuns nor any other pututative wildcard competition suddenly collapse to give an opening. Unless soemthing changes.

Situational hitting.

This is the Yankee problem right now. I can't recall how many times this season they have had a man on 2B, no one out, and could not get the run in. Happened again last night, after A-Rod led off with a double. They couldn't even get him to 3rd, let alone bring him in.

Another issue is the lack of pitches they take. Every Yankee used to take several pitches each AB. Now, they seem to be swinging at the 1st or 2nd pitch way too often.

They just need to relax.

But the OPS? The OPS?

You are spot on. They are an ill conceived team as far as parts fitting together.

The Yanks always struck me as a team that flat out did not look like they were having fun on the field. When you have an ownership that places severe ownership on a championship or bust philosophy, that makes it much more difficult. I always felt that championships teams were those that had the talent, but also enjoyed themselves because they played better when they were relaxed and loose.

Look at last year's ALDS between the Tigers and Yanks. And I'm not using this to rub it in any Yanks fans face either. The Yanks were under considerably more pressure than the Tigers were in that division series, even though most (hell, including myself after that royals series) predicted that the yanks would take the series. The Tigers had a little bit of pressure from the fact that they were playing the yankees, but the Yanks had even more pressure from the fear and repercussions of losing in the division series. I think they worried more about losing it then they did about actually going out and winning it.

The Yankees have been an elite team since 1996. Maybe not always a Championship team, but an elite team. When you' ve played at such a high level for so long, and have to play under enormous pressure from an owner like Steinbrenner. It's hard to remember what it was like to be hungry and excited to chase a championship.

The Yanks might pull out of this like they did last year and come back. But right now, you guys need a huge catalyst to invigorate the team, because the ship is sinking right now. If that involves firing Joe Torre then so be it.

The Yanks always struck me as a team that flat out did not look like they were having fun on the field. When you have an ownership that places severe ownership on a championship or bust philosophy, that makes it much more difficult. I always felt that championships teams were those that had the talent, but also enjoyed themselves because they played better when they were relaxed and loose.

Look at last year's ALDS between the Tigers and Yanks. And I'm not using this to rub it in any Yanks fans face either. The Yanks were under considerably more pressure than the Tigers were in that division series, even though most (hell, including myself after that royals series) predicted that the yanks would take the series. The Tigers had a little bit of pressure from the fact that they were playing the yankees, but the Yanks had even more pressure from the fear and repercussions of losing in the division series. I think they worried more about losing it then they did about actually going out and winning it.

The Yankees have been an elite team since 1996. Maybe not always a Championship team, but an elite team. When you' ve played at such a high level for so long, and have to play under enormous pressure from an owner like Steinbrenner. It's hard to remember what it was like to be hungry and excited to chase a championship.

The Yanks might pull out of this like they did last year and come back. But right now, you guys need a huge catalyst to invigorate the team, because the ship is sinking right now. If that involves firing Joe Torre then so be it.

The Yanks and the Red Wings are so alike it's silly. A longtime powerhouse constantly repaired with older veteran talent that's gotten so used to winning that when things get tough they and their fans aren't ready for it.

The Yanks and the Red Wings are so alike it's silly. A longtime powerhouse constantly repaired with older veteran talent that's gotten so used to winning that when things get tough they and their fans aren't ready for it.

do you see the yankee fans freaking out? do you see them acting like they can't handle the losing? it's the other teams fans that are acting like it's a bigger deal than it is. The yankees are losing, the end in nigh!

There is ALOT of truth in what you just said.

I think they still have not recovered from losing to the Tigers. This though has been going on since the 04 collpase against the Red Sox. The hitters for whatever reason just go into a funk (minus the Jeters, Posadas and such) and it is happening again this year. You could probably go back to the 2001 World Series when they were pretty much shutdown by not only Johnson and Schilling but the likes of Miguel Batista and Brian Anderson.

Torre though made alot of questionable decisions in the Tigers series. Not starting Wang in game 4, putting Sheffield at 1st Base. Once they lost game 3to Rogers (Still trying to figure out how that happened) they were toast.

I honestly think this team just has zero chemistry and what your brother just about the Red Wings and the Yanks being pretty much one in the same is true.

Right now though the Yanks have to just worry about winning a game and getting back to the things they do best.

There is ALOT of truth in what you just said.

I think they still have not recovered from losing to the Tigers. This though has been going on since the 04 collpase against the Red Sox. The hitters for whatever reason just go into a funk (minus the Jeters, Posadas and such) and it is happening again this year. You could probably go back to the 2001 World Series when they were pretty much shutdown by not only Johnson and Schilling but the likes of Miguel Batista and Brian Anderson.

Torre though made alot of questionable decisions in the Tigers series. Not starting Wang in game 4, putting Sheffield at 1st Base. Once they lost game 3to Rogers (Still trying to figure out how that happened) they were toast.

I honestly think this team just has zero chemistry and what your brother just about the Red Wings and the Yanks being pretty much one in the same is true.

Right now though the Yanks have to just worry about winning a game and getting back to the things they do best.

I agree, and there's a good chance that at some point this season the Yanks will turn it around. If not, a mediocre season might actually be what the Yanks need. It might give them a chance to revamp and figure out a new way that they want to build a winning ballclub. For the last several years, the Yanks have had more of a "hired gun" philosophy in pursuing championships rather than building a winner through their system. While that can work, and work well, Nothing lasts forever and you always need to reinvent yourself. I think the Yankees are starting to realize that all the free agent signings in the world are not going to make a difference when there is no team cohesion. I think emphasis on guys like Robinson Cano and Phillip Hughes and other young talent-laden ballplayers is what they need right now. I think they need to work on "building" a winner rather than attempting to "assemble" one. There's a difference.

I always liked Joe Torre as a coach and as a person. I've never been a Yankee fan, but I always thought the man was full of class, and it reflected throughout his team. But even good coaches eventually outstay their welcome and can become stale. Torre's moves last postseason played a factor in losing to the Tigers (though I'd say the Yanks bats were the main reason) and the last few years he has made baseball moves that were questionable. Sparky Anderson was the same way in his final years in Detroit. I think if you replaced Torre with a guy like Girardi or who knows, maybe Mattingly you might be able to breath some fresh air into the Yanks organization.

I lived through the 1980s, and I could live with the Yankees sucking for a year. And the odds are after being in the postseason in every year since 1995(and they would have been in 1994 but for the strike)it was inevitable that you will have a bad year. But today on the radio IDIOTS are saying "bring Bernie back" like they can keep this run going with nostalgia. And that kind of thinking, like the Wings, pluffing holes with old and expensive guys can only go on for so long before those old guys-Abreu, Mussina, Damon, probably Clemens, et al- don't work out.

BITE THE BULLET. If it's gonna be a down year, clean house on the roster, in the manager's office and in the front office. Figure out who can contribute in 2008 and get rid of the rest, turning them into young and usable parts.get a real manager-Girardi- and a real GM like Gene Michael. And spend the money wisely.

How does Toronto have a real backup catcher in Jason Phillips? Where are the vet bench guys like Fielder, Strawberry, Raines? Good riddance to Big Unit, but who scouted Luis Vizcaino?

I remember that game. I think it was against Baltimore and Jay Buhner hit his 1st ML homer in that game if I'm not mistaken.

Just found it...Buhner hit his 2nd career homer in that game.....I was close:box:

Archived