Our new PUNTER speaks!

Kentucky Jet

Training gets serious

Postcard from a punter

By Ben Graham

May 1, 2005

"Welcome to the New York Jets. Now here is your locker, your session starts in 10 minutes."

After a cancelled flight due to mechanical problems and then missing the connecting flight, I arrived at JFK Airport from a kicking camp in Nevada, at 7am on April 7. A car service was sent to pick me up, but, instead of taking me straight to the hotel for the night, it took me directly to training after a sleepless night on the plane. Not the perfect way to start a new career, but I was as keen as mustard to start my first session.

I couldn't believe my luck when I was taken to my locker and found I would be wearing No.7. As it turns out, someone had done their research and thought I'd feel more at home wearing my old number.

Pre-season officially started on April 4, but the camp was seen to be more important to my development. Given my late arrival, I had no idea whether my new teammates were new signings or veterans, so I treated everyone with the same respect. Except, of course, the legendary Curtis Martin and the quarterback, Chad Pennington. "G'day, mate" just keeps rolling off the tongue.

That first session lasted more than five hours all up. Upper-body weights, plyometrics, core, a running session, punting session, meeting and a stretch. Nothing I haven't experienced before, but it's the first time I've trained with no sleep. It's fair to say I slept like a baby that night.

The past three weeks have been pretty intense in more ways than one. The Jets have appointed a new head fitness coach, Marcus Paul. He was recruited from the New England Patriots, winners of three of the past four Super Bowls, and has introduced a variety of new exercises and equipment. Everyone is gradually adjusting to a fresh program, where the focus is always power.

Loris Bertolacci, the fitness and conditioning coach at Geelong, would be impressed with the weights room and some of the athletes in it: defensive linesmen squatting 700 pounds (318 kilograms) and bench-pressing 500 pounds (227 kilograms) and wide receivers with a 38-inch (97-centimetre) vertical leap.

Learning a new game is also a big challenge. Although the punter doesn't need to know everything involved in every play, I like to pick the brains of other players and coaches to get a total understanding of the game.

Most of the players were curious about Australian football and a few had a vague idea of what it was all about. They kept asking me to explain how it worked, so I managed to get hold of a 2004 highlights package. The guys loved it, but didn't understand a single thing. Our centre, Kevin Mawae, was in the rooms and his son recognised my accent. The first thing he wanted to know was whether I knew the "Crocodile Hunter", Steve Irwin. You can't imagine how much the Americans love Steve Irwin.

The time difference back to Geelong has made it difficult to keep regular contact with my former teammates, but I've had a few late-night phone calls from the boys. Of course, they didn't realise that it was 3am. I shoot out a few SMSes to see how they're going and I listened to the end of the Port Adelaide game before I went to training and was proud of the way they fought it out. But as much as I've tried to keep abreast of what's happening in the AFL, my time is eaten up by immersing myself in the football culture over here.

The more I see, the more the NFL is like a game of chess on a playing field. The strategies and play-books, video analysis, scouting for the draft, the training program, the practice sessions themselves are all so definite and structured.

Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff is one of the best in the business. His knowledge and experience is fantastic for me to help learn my new craft. He is giving me every opportunity to continue to progress and perfect my technique. There is a lot more to the punting game than just get it and kick it. And it will probably take a while to master the whole thing, but everyone has to start somewhere. So far, there has been a mix of constructive criticism and positive reinforcement.

Living in New York is also pretty intense. It's the most expensive city in the world. Ask New Yorkers about the cost of living or the city tax or the traffic and they will say: "Where else would you rather be?" It truly is an amazing place; I just can't wait to enjoy it with Katie and my two princesses. The most difficult thing I have ever had to endure is the last five weeks without them.

Pre-season in the NFL started to get serious last week. The training up until then had been purely conditioning and strength work, with a few kicking sessions in between.

Last Monday and Tuesday were the first of the OTAs (organised team activities). They are full days of running the plays and strategies at game intensity - straight out of the play book. When it is your turn to go, you've got to be ready for action. Everything moves so fast. It is just like the movies.

For the first time, up close, I saw the ingredients of what makes this sport such a passion for tens of millions of people - the power, the speed, the skill, the attitude, the toughness. It's lucky they do wear pads and helmets.

The week ended with the club's first mini-camp, which is where I'll be when you read this. It's at the club's facility on Long Island and is the first chance the Jets' fans get to come and watch practice for the season.

The NFL Players Association allows only a certain number of full practices before the season starts and a mini-camp counts as four days of full practices. All players and coaches stay in a hotel and basically eat, sleep and breathe football, which is fine by me. I can't get enough of this new challenge. =D>

Training gets serious

Postcard from a punter

By Ben Graham

May 1, 2005

"Welcome to the New York Jets. Now here is your locker, your session starts in 10 minutes."

After a cancelled flight due to mechanical problems and then missing the connecting flight, I arrived at JFK Airport from a kicking camp in Nevada, at 7am on April 7. A car service was sent to pick me up, but, instead of taking me straight to the hotel for the night, it took me directly to training after a sleepless night on the plane. Not the perfect way to start a new career, but I was as keen as mustard to start my first session.

I couldn't believe my luck when I was taken to my locker and found I would be wearing No.7. As it turns out, someone had done their research and thought I'd feel more at home wearing my old number.

Pre-season officially started on April 4, but the camp was seen to be more important to my development. Given my late arrival, I had no idea whether my new teammates were new signings or veterans, so I treated everyone with the same respect. Except, of course, the legendary Curtis Martin and the quarterback, Chad Pennington. "G'day, mate" just keeps rolling off the tongue.

That first session lasted more than five hours all up. Upper-body weights, plyometrics, core, a running session, punting session, meeting and a stretch. Nothing I haven't experienced before, but it's the first time I've trained with no sleep. It's fair to say I slept like a baby that night.

The past three weeks have been pretty intense in more ways than one. The Jets have appointed a new head fitness coach, Marcus Paul. He was recruited from the New England Patriots, winners of three of the past four Super Bowls, and has introduced a variety of new exercises and equipment. Everyone is gradually adjusting to a fresh program, where the focus is always power.

Loris Bertolacci, the fitness and conditioning coach at Geelong, would be impressed with the weights room and some of the athletes in it: defensive linesmen squatting 700 pounds (318 kilograms) and bench-pressing 500 pounds (227 kilograms) and wide receivers with a 38-inch (97-centimetre) vertical leap.

Learning a new game is also a big challenge. Although the punter doesn't need to know everything involved in every play, I like to pick the brains of other players and coaches to get a total understanding of the game.

Most of the players were curious about Australian football and a few had a vague idea of what it was all about. They kept asking me to explain how it worked, so I managed to get hold of a 2004 highlights package. The guys loved it, but didn't understand a single thing. Our centre, Kevin Mawae, was in the rooms and his son recognised my accent. The first thing he wanted to know was whether I knew the "Crocodile Hunter", Steve Irwin. You can't imagine how much the Americans love Steve Irwin.

The time difference back to Geelong has made it difficult to keep regular contact with my former teammates, but I've had a few late-night phone calls from the boys. Of course, they didn't realise that it was 3am. I shoot out a few SMSes to see how they're going and I listened to the end of the Port Adelaide game before I went to training and was proud of the way they fought it out. But as much as I've tried to keep abreast of what's happening in the AFL, my time is eaten up by immersing myself in the football culture over here.

The more I see, the more the NFL is like a game of chess on a playing field. The strategies and play-books, video analysis, scouting for the draft, the training program, the practice sessions themselves are all so definite and structured.

Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff is one of the best in the business. His knowledge and experience is fantastic for me to help learn my new craft. He is giving me every opportunity to continue to progress and perfect my technique. There is a lot more to the punting game than just get it and kick it. And it will probably take a while to master the whole thing, but everyone has to start somewhere. So far, there has been a mix of constructive criticism and positive reinforcement.

Living in New York is also pretty intense. It's the most expensive city in the world. Ask New Yorkers about the cost of living or the city tax or the traffic and they will say: "Where else would you rather be?" It truly is an amazing place; I just can't wait to enjoy it with Katie and my two princesses. The most difficult thing I have ever had to endure is the last five weeks without them.

Pre-season in the NFL started to get serious last week. The training up until then had been purely conditioning and strength work, with a few kicking sessions in between.

Last Monday and Tuesday were the first of the OTAs (organised team activities). They are full days of running the plays and strategies at game intensity - straight out of the play book. When it is your turn to go, you've got to be ready for action. Everything moves so fast. It is just like the movies.

For the first time, up close, I saw the ingredients of what makes this sport such a passion for tens of millions of people - the power, the speed, the skill, the attitude, the toughness. It's lucky they do wear pads and helmets.

The week ended with the club's first mini-camp, which is where I'll be when you read this. It's at the club's facility on Long Island and is the first chance the Jets' fans get to come and watch practice for the season.

The NFL Players Association allows only a certain number of full practices before the season starts and a mini-camp counts as four days of full practices. All players and coaches stay in a hotel and basically eat, sleep and breathe football, which is fine by me. I can't get enough of this new challenge. =D>

I like to see Graham is looking to learn and gain knowledge - seems very intelligent in his comments and wants to work hard so It gives me confidence that this conversion will work

I like to see Graham is looking to learn and gain knowledge - seems very intelligent in his comments and wants to work hard so It gives me confidence that this conversion will work

dude, this guy was released WEEKS ago. It was in 1 of the NY papers. "Jets say g'day to aussie punter"

Is this post serious? If so that is the funniest thing I have ever ready.

G'Day Folks.

dude, this guy was released WEEKS ago. It was in 1 of the NY papers. "Jets say g'day to aussie punter"

Is this post serious? If so that is the funniest thing I have ever ready.

G'Day Folks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/305572p-261499c.html

Jets say g'day

to Aussie punter

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Ben Graham is looking to grab hold of Jets' punting job.

He's a cross between "Rudy" and "Crocodile Dundee," a longshot who left a good life in Australia to pursue his NFL dream. Meet Ben Graham, who went from walkabout to walk on.

Down Under, Graham is athletic royalty, a former star in Australian Rules Football. Over here, he's a 31-year-old rookie, trying to make the Jets as a punter.

Since arriving April 6, Graham has been working out daily at Weeb Ewbank Hall, learning to kick an American football. At the same time, he's trying to adapt to a new culture. He lives a few blocks from Hofstra and commutes to practice by bicycle, although last week he bought a car and set out on an adventure.

"First thing I did was drive straight into Manhattan," Graham said at Jets' minicamp, which concluded yesterday. "I battled the traffic and the taxi drivers. I loved it. Loved it! Didn't get a scratch on the car."

Not bad for someone who never had operated a vehicle with a steering wheel on the left side.

By coming to America, Graham is scratching a seven-year itch. In July 1997, he was discovered by Jets assistant coach Eric Mangini, now the Patriots' defensive coordinator. At the time, Graham decided to concentrate on his Aussie career, but he knew someday he'd take a shot at the NFL.

Graham became the captain of the Geelong Football Club, a fullback known for his booming punts. His longest kick was 87 meters, the equivalent of 95 yards. Eat your heart out, Ray Guy. Of course, in Aussie Rules, the fullback isn't rushed when he kicks.

He made national news last fall by announcing his decision to leave Geelong. Graham worked out for a handful of teams, including the Jets and Giants. He showed up at Weeb Ewbank Hall with an Aussie football, which created plenty of laughter. The shape of the Australian ball is different, and none of the Jets knew what to make of it.

"Hey, Chad, can you throw this ball?" one player asked Chad Pennington.

No one is laughing anymore. Graham is a strapping, 6-4, 220-pounder with an explosive right leg and plenty of potential, according to special teams coach Mike Westhoff. "I see a lot there," Westhoff said. "He's raw in terms of exact punting skill, but he's not raw as a competitor. He's ahead of where I expected him to be. The inconsistency, yes, I see it ... but if he continues to move in the right direction, he'll have a very realistic chance (of making the team)."

Graham is hoping to follow the path of Vikings punter Darren Bennett, a former Aussie Rules player who has spent the last 10 seasons in the NFL.

"He's my inspiration," said Graham.

The Jets, in a seemingly never-ending search for a reliable leg, have gone through four punters in the last four seasons. Graham's competition is the unremarkable Micah Knorr, most recently with the Broncos.

"I need to work on my hang time more than my distance," said Graham, who worked last month with Nevada-based punting guru Ray Pelfrey. "I've got distance covered."

Graham isn't used to playing in pads and a helmet. He's also learning that punters spend a lot of time doing nothing.

"In my sport, everyone on the field does everything - they kick, they catch, they hit, they run, they tackle," he said. "Here, it's frustrating on the sideline. You want to make a tackle or get involved in some contact."

Just kick 'em long and high, mate, and you won't have to worry about anything else.

WTF I could have sworn when I read this article it was saying he got cut! My bad, I don't know australian, so I thought it meant the "jets say goodbye to aussie punter"

BTW, I believe Graham has NO CHANCE to make the roster unless Knorr gets hurt, even then, we'd probably go sign a college punter

Imagine Graham in a pressure situation, 4th quarter, backed up at the goaline

I could see 2 things

He botches the snap, fumbles the ball around and the opposing team picks it up for a touchdown

He pulls a charlie brown and complete misses the football and it lands 2 feet in front of his foot

Scary

BTW, I believe Graham has NO CHANCE to make the roster unless Knorr gets hurt, even then, we'd probably go sign a college punter

Imagine Graham in a pressure situation, 4th quarter, backed up at the goaline

I could see 2 things

He botches the snap, fumbles the ball around and the opposing team picks it up for a touchdown

He pulls a charlie brown and complete misses the football and it lands 2 feet in front of his foot

Scary

graham is a much better athlete than knorr, it's not like they signed a high school phenom. and believe me i would much rather have graham boom a 60-yd punt from the goalline than see knorr angle one out of bounds at the 35.

WTF I could have sworn when I read this article it was saying he got cut! My bad, I don't know australian, so I thought it meant the "jets say goodbye to aussie punter"

I don't know australian, lol, what the f#ck??!!! Last i heard they spoke the same language as the british, maybe you can find a brit to translate that into american, lol!

Archived