CBS considering bringing "Jericho" back after protests

Mavrik

Fans make CBS reconsider 'Jericho' axing

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer 1 hour, 53 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Fans trumpeting the cause of CBS' canceled drama "Jericho" have caught the network's ear. CBS, deluged with calls, messages and shipments of nuts signifying viewer displeasure, is reconsidering its decision, a source close to the production said Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly. A decision on whether to bring the show back, probably for a midseason run, is imminent, the source said.

"We are tired of the networks (not just CBS) tossing aside quality programming," was the message carried by jericholives.com, one of several web sites protesting the cancellation. "Enough! We're going to fight for this one."

Clarke Ingram, a "Jericho" fan from Pittsburgh, Pa., and a spokesman for jericholives, said he was optimistic that CBS would find a way to revive the drama about a Kansas town isolated by a nuclear terrorist attack.

"People would paint this as teenagers in tinfoil hats" rallying behind the show, said Ingram, 50, an operations manager for two radio stations. "That's not what this is. These are educated professionals."

The show's daring premise, its writing and acting make the case for its survival, he said.

Several factors could work in the show's favor: It appeals to the young adult viewers sought by advertisers and was one of CBS' most popular shows streamed online, indicating an audience beyond that measured by traditional ratings.

CBS may also be considering the dent a long hiatus put in the show's viewership, the same scheduling misstep that hurt ABC's "Lost" and NBC's "Heroes."

The network apparently has been impressed by the display of viewer passion, which included the delivery of 50,000 pounds of peanuts to its New York offices. In the season finale, a character replies "Nuts!" to a demand that the beleaguered town of Jericho surrender.

That's the same response that a U.S. general in World War II made to a German demand for surrender at the Battle of the Bulge.

There's already been one positive outcome: CBS is donating the protest peanuts to charities, including one that sends care packages to troops overseas.

Anyone who watched the show knew that by the end of the first season, it had become a great show to watch. Great writing. Premise was great and it pulled more and more people into the storyline each week. This was one of only two shows (the other being LOST) that I watch, so it would be great if CBS brought it back.

EXCELLENT NEWS!! I kind of thought those guys were going overboard and their efforts were futile. Maybe there's a chance. I hope so because Jericho was one of my favorite shows.

I hope they do. I read a rumor that the second season of the show was to be focused on a civil war in the United States, and that a "bloc led by texas" was not recognizing the new president. That got me thinking how crazy would that be if they had the Confederacy reformed during the second season.

If bringing Jericho back comes true it would be a great victory for the common person. CBS's decision to put it on leave for 6 weeks right in mid season is what killed off part of it's audience. How stupid was that? CBS deserved to get all the negative feedback it got. Nice to know that our passionate efforts might have actually paid off.

I hope they do. I read a rumor that the second season of the show was to be focused on a civil war in the United States, and that a "bloc led by texas" was not recognizing the new president. That got me thinking how crazy would that be if they had the Confederacy reformed during the second season.

WOW ! Having the Stars and Bars flying again? Great plot twist but network TV would never take that risk. Well maybe Fox might. :biggrin:

WOW ! Having the Stars and Bars flying again? Great plot twist but network TV would never take that risk. Well maybe Fox might. :biggrin:

yeah. I'm sure they'd probably have it end the same way the first one did though. ;)

I love how the locals just go about life as usual at their local watering hole while the rest of the country is evaporating around them. Errr, Yeah. :roll:

At least you're admitting to only watching one episode. :roll:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2007/06/its_official_th.html

Resurrection: The fans save 'Jericho'

Sometimes going a little nutty is a good thing.

For weeks, "Jericho" junkies have been firing e-mails (effectively shutting down InBoxes at CBS and this newspaper), signing petitions and sending bags of nuts to CBS headquarters in protest.

The assault seems to have worked, "Jericho" creator and executive producer Carol Barbee said Tuesday. CBS executives are in discussions with the show's producers and actors to resuscitate the show -- killed just last month -- for an eight-episode run in mid-season.

"The idea would not be to bring it for eight and out, but to bring it back for eight with the hope that it would keep going," Barbee said. "They're making deals with the actors and there's other logistical stuff to work out too. 'Swingtown' [a new drama] was supposed to take over the same stages so it's a lot about the logistics of how to work out a schedule that works for all of us."

Barbee said the fan fever for the show did not surprise her-she had been keeping a close eye on the show's viewers on the Web. But she never expected CBS to change its mind because of the devotion.

"I was so kicked in the gut when we were canceled," she said. "I was really upset and angry and mourning over this amazing experience we had this year and this amazing family we put together and this show we were all so proud of. I didn't see the end coming so it felt like it wasn't over."

When the fan fight to save the show would not let up, CBS began talks with producers about a two-hour movie that would wrap up the show, but the writers were not interested, Barbee said.

"We just felt like that was doing it short-shrift, and it's too big of a story to wrap up in a two-hour movie," she said. "I really think that what has been learned here is that networks are going to have to look at numbers and who is watching their show and who is downloading their show in a different way from here on out. I think they have to understand that the Nielsens are not telling the story anymore and that the 18-49 demographic they're all so keen on is online and that's how increasingly they are getting their news and entertainment."

Since the fan revolt began, "Jericho" viewers have insisted they also would not be satisfied with a TV movie or online re-cap that told them how the "Jericho" story ends.

If the actors sign on the dotted line -- and those deals should be in place in the next day or two -- Barbee said "Jericho" junkies will get their way.

-- Maria Elena Fernandez

Only one primetime show worth watching, House. CBS shows suck anyway and while Jerricho is a good idea, CBS' creativity and acting rosters suck. Who do they have, Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men and Dreyfus on Old Christine. Shows aimed at teenage audiences that are solely about High School life are much more likely to succeed than shows like Heroes and Lost. Oh wait, CW11 and Family Channel have that covered.

JERICHO IS OFFICIALLY BACK!! :headbang:

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainment/2007/06/06/cbs_returns_jericho_to_schedule/6953/

CBS returns 'Jericho' to schedule

LOS ANGELES, June 6 (UPI) -- The fans spoke, CBS listened and "Jericho" will return to American airwaves during the 2007-08 season, the network announced Wednesday.

CBS reversed its decision to cancel the apocalyptic drama set in Nevada after being inundated with e-mail, and tons of nuts -- a reference to a catchphrase in the show -- from the show's fans. The network ordered seven episodes of "Jericho" to be aired mid-season, Nina Tassler, CBS Entertainment president, said in a letter posted on the "Jericho" page of CBS' Web site.

"Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series," Tassler told the show's fans. "You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard."

She said, however, the show's "loyal and passionate community" must grow. To help increase viewership, Tassler said CBS would re-broadcast "Jericho" during the summer, stream episodes and clips online, and release the first season on DVD.

When "Jericho" returns wasn't determined, she said.

Tassler thanked "Jericho" fans for expressing their support.

"Your protest was creative, sustained and very thoughtful and respectful in tone," she said. "You made a difference."

Only one primetime show worth watching, House. CBS shows suck anyway and while Jerricho is a good idea, CBS' creativity and acting rosters suck. Who do they have, Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men and Dreyfus on Old Christine. Shows aimed at teenage audiences that are solely about High School life are much more likely to succeed than shows like Heroes and Lost. Oh wait, CW11 and Family Channel have that covered.

House is indeed the best show on TV.

Well Jericho is coming back but CBS is looking to get more viewers before it will extend it anywhere past 7 more episodes. Everyone start watching!! They're planning to rebroadast the first season this summer. Considering there are never any good shows during the summer, it's a perfect chance for you to catch up.

June 6, 2007

To the Fans of Jericho:

Wow!

Over the past few weeks you have put forth an impressive and probably unprecedented display of passion in support of a prime time television series. You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard.

As a result, CBS has ordered seven episodes of

I never got to watch the Shield that much, but The Office is the best comedy.

I heard so much about The Office that I decided to start watching it when they had a marathon a while back. I got through two episodes and just gave up. Couldn't get into it.

A message from "Hawkins".

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Dear family, friends, rangers and fans...

Now you guys know victory...how does it feel to be out of the gray twillight?

I'm staggered all over again. Utterly and totally STAGGERED. Thank you, thank you...and just for good measure, THANK YOU. Thank you for your passion. Thank you for you determination. Thank you for your grace, manners and most of all thank you for your class. Your campaign was so smartly put together, so expertly organized and so very, very classy. I can't quite find the words to totally express just how impressed I am by your actions. Outside of what you guys have done for myself and the rest of the cast and crew, I truly believe you guys have made a little bit of history. You may have changed the way that TV audience figures are calculated from now on. You have certainly got all the networks talking about whether 'Nielsen' is still the best way to find out who and how many people are watching their stations. You have given a voice to the many that for a long time have been ignored. You made yourselves impossible to be ignored, and here's where your class came in...you always made it possible for CBS to change their minds. You never threatened or attacked or insulted. You were just so honest, forthright, well mannered and persistent. I think the network deserves much credit for being open enough and gracious enough to listen to you guys and to allow you this victory.

One minute I'm saying I can't find the words to express my feelings and here I am going on and on...I really just wanted to say thank you to all of you who posted such kinds words and good wishes to me after my last post. Your words touched me deeply. Other than that, all that's left to say is WELL DONE.

I coming back across the pond to work with a wonderful group of people I believed I might never be with again as we were before. For that I will forever be grateful to you all.

God bless you all and raise a glass to yourselves.

Cheers

Lennie 'The Hawk' James

Jericho Fans Truly Are Da Bomb

7 episodes. More CRAP ratings. Canceled again.

I'm not so sure. There are going to be alot of people wondering what the fuss is all about. And with them replaying the first season next month that will be a good opportunity to pick up new viewers for the upcoming season. Regardless, bringing a show back from the dead is nothing to sneeze at.

Archived