Why Clemens is not as good as some people think

BornJetsFan1983

There is absolutely no way of determining how good or bad Clemens is at this point. All I know is I am not ready to see him in any game action unless it is preseason or a blow out. Like it or not, Chad is our best chance for success this year. It amazes me that so may people spend so much energy on bashing our starting QB.

I am also tired of people saying that Chad is not going to lead us to a SB or or an SB victory. The reasons why the Jets will not make the SB go beyond Chad. The facts are recently we just have and at this point are not good enough to take that next step. Unfortunetely, we are not the best team in our division. The Pats made significant upgrades in the off season and if the Jets were to get swept by the Pats in the season series I do not think we would be able to place the blame on all the shoulder of Chad.

Lets be real our WR's while good don't scare anyone

Run Blocking not all that spectacular

Pass Rush -Non-existent

Secondary is ok but we will probably have a rookie starting at corner

At this point we are an ok team that over achieved last year with the benefit of a healthy team and a weak scehdule. It will not be that easy this year and for my money clemens is not an option at least not yet...

I know I went off on a tangent but at the end of the day Clemens is not ready and unless you are willing to concede the season he should not play.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you had bothered to read ALL of the post I made, you would have realized that I did not make a simple black & white statement and say that ONLY elite QB's win Super Bowls. I said that, if you do not have an elite QB, (such as the 2000 Ravens), a dominant defense can get it done (much like the Steeler team you speak of).

Unfortunately, we do NOT have a dominant defense. Until then, our QB situation IS an issue, because our starter is, at best, slightly above average.

i pity the fool! :character0293:

Chad Pennington was a back-up for 2 years and a quarter of a 3rd season. I guess he just isn't as good as some people think.

Guess Tom Brady backing up for a year and two games wasn't as good as some think.

Same with Carson Palmer.

:eek:

Rookies, usually, are beaten out by the veterans unless there is pressure within the organization for them to play or if there is no real great competition at the position. Also, the Jets system is a bit tough to learn and lets not be foolish, Chad Pennington isn't a Rhodes Scholar for sitting on his ass and eating Cheetos. He can learn a playbook. Its his ability to stay healthy and make throws that you need to win championships that are in question.

Pennington is simply doing what others have done before him. Holding down the fort for 1 or 2 seasons before giving up the job to the draft pick.

You make way too much sense. We demand instant gratification or immediate grounds for complaining. ;)

There was an article at some point that discussed the major busts at the qb position and why certain teams fell in love with the idea instead of the results. Why was Ryan Leaf compared to Peyton Manning, They said the arm strength was tremendous but if you looked at the completion percentage of a QB coming out of college is the best way to determine their play in the NFL. Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith just to name a few all had powerful arms but a low completion rating.

Now for the bad news, Kellen Clemens had the arm that many scouts love but had the low completion rating. Brody Croyle on the other hand had a tremendous completion rating w/out the power arm.

If these results are true, Brody Croyle may be the better QB when it is all said and done.

Obviously we have a tremendous coaching staff that should help develop Clemens.

There was an article at some point that discussed the major busts at the qb position and why certain teams fell in love with the idea instead of the results. Why was Ryan Leaf compared to Peyton Manning, They said the arm strength was tremendous but if you looked at the completion percentage of a QB coming out of college is the best way to determine their play in the NFL. Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith just to name a few all had powerful arms but a low completion rating.

Now for the bad news, Kellen Clemens had the arm that many scouts love but had the low completion rating. Brody Croyle on the other hand had a tremendous completion rating w/out the power arm.

If these results are true, Brody Croyle may be the better QB when it is all said and done.

That is a VERY interesting claim. Do you/can you do a statistical analysis? Sperm usually does this, so I'm actually hoping if you don't he does. I also still think the draft analysis should be stickied or archived. Maybe I ought to save it. ecurb had something too that I remember saying I liked. From now on I will be saving these type of things somehow.

Brodie Croyle had the second best arm in the draft. Clemens completion percentage was in the "franchise range" of the statistics you mention

As a senior, Clemens had a 64% completion percentage

185/289, 2406 yds (8.4ypa, 13.00 ypcompl)

19 TD's, 4 INT's in 8 games (including the game he got injured)

7-1 (loss was vs then #1 USC). Also faced Fresno State (#23 at the time) & Arizona State (#26 at the time). *Did not play vs #25 California or #12 Oregon due to broken ankle.

As a senior, Chad had a 67% completion percentage

292/433, 4006 yds (9.3ypa, 13.7 ypcompl)

38 TD's, 11 INT's in 13 games

13-0 (though they didn't play a top-20 team all season; #24 Clemson and #31 BYU were their only opponents ranked in the top 70)

Chad had better #'s his senior season, but he played against generally much crappier teams.

I know i'm a broken record about this but i'm 100% convinced that clemens will get a fair shot to win the job in TC and if Chad beats him out I don't want to hear this crap about Mangini being afraid of the media from the chad haters.

I know i'm a broken record about this but i'm 100% convinced that clemens will get a fair shot to win the job in TC and if Chad beats him out I don't want to hear this crap about Mangini being afraid of the media from the chad haters.

I agree. Clemens will get any and every opportunity to win the starting job and the first bad game Chad has this upcoming season don't be surprised to see Clemens take the field. Mangini and Tanenbaum have staked the future of this franchise and their professional reputations on Kellen Clemens. They passed up on Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler and Brady Quinn because they think Clemens is a franchise QB. If Clemens stinks or is just ok it will be a huge setback for the Jets franchise.

Mangini cares more about Clemens becoming a franchise QB than any supposed media-love for Chad. Make no mistake about it.

Clemens is short. Neither player is what you would call a perfect specimen.

this Clemens thing is way out of control.

This is the NFL you don't hand people starting jobs they don't deserve. When Mangini announces that Clemens is the starter, then I will take notice. Until then, he's a backup until proven otherwise.

do Jets fans really think they know more than Mangini about who should be the starter?

This coach will play the best player regardless of age or contract - if it's Chad, you should believe him. Mangini would not leave a better player on the bench for political reasons.

potw nom (although I havent many posts here lately, this is a deserving one).

Archived