New NFL Rankings and for once they seem unbiased

CoachTsurfing

Well I can agree with leaving the Colts at Number 1 for now, just because there hasn't been a game played since they walked away with the Vince Lombardi Trophy. However, within a few weeks, they will fall even on his Power Rankings, behind New England.

I like the rating we got at #9, putting us into discussion as one of the Top 10 teams in the NFL. We over performed last season and went 10-6 and went to the playoffs, this year we will be a much better team with Kenyon Coleman, Darrelle Revis, David Harris and of course, Thomas Jones. However, our schedule is tougher so I can't see an 11 or 12 win season. 10-6 at best again and at best, a wild card berth, again.

Yeah the Seattle ranking surprised me too. I think 6th is a bit too high. Yes Hasselbeck and Alexander were out for some games last year, but that team wasn't that good and the losses of Ken Hamlin and Darrell Jackson are going to hurt them. Also, Alexander is another year older.

D.J. Hackett must step and deliever all the praise he has gotten, as a back-up, as a starter this season.

Why do they seem unbiased? Because they have the Jets in the top 10? :lol:

No, not at all. If anything the Jets are ranked little too high. Most nfl rankings have the pats first which is a joke to me. I hate it when college and nfl rankings don't put the team that won the championship first. To me a team should be ranked first until someone beats them. And I'm not saying the pats should be out of the top 5 either. I have no problem with them being number 2. They are a good team that made a lot of good off season moves. The Pats deserve to be that high, just not one.

KC and Miami should be the bottom dwellers. No way should he be mentioning KC's upgraded defense, they added napolean 'journeymen' harris, and some other bums. KC would be the class of the NCAA's but that's it.

No, not at all. If anything the Jets are ranked little too high. Most nfl rankings have the pats first which is a joke to me. I hate it when college and nfl rankings don't put the team that won the championship first. To me a team should be ranked first until someone beats them. And I'm not saying the pats should be out of the top 5 either. I have no problem with them being number 2. They are a good team that made a lot of good off season moves. The Pats deserve to be that high, just not one.

Why?

That was then and this is now. The Colts will always be the 2006 Superbowl Champions. What if Peyton, Marvin and Reggie decided to retire. Think they should still be number 1?

This is 2007 and I would be surprised if Peyton or Dungy are saying anything other then that was then and this is a new season. We are no longer number 1. We are fighting with the other 31 teams to win the next Superbowl.

Why?

That was then and this is now. The Colts will always be the 2006 Superbowl Champions. What if Peyton, Marvin and Reggie decided to retire. Think they should still be number 1?

This is 2007 and I would be surprised if Peyton or Dungy are saying anything other then that was then and this is a new season. We are no longer number 1. We are fighting with the other 31 teams to win the next Superbowl.

But they DIDNT retire. The Colts had no MAJOR losses, and had a pretty decent draft, imo. The last game the Patriots played, they melted down against the Colts, and while the Patriots may have made a ton of beautifully looking moves, those moves dont erase that choke job last year. For once, we get to tell you to take off the red, white, and blue colored glasses, stop drinking that patriotic lemonade, and realize that YOUR team lost to the Patriots. Want to be ranked above them? Then beat them. Until then, take 2nd and be happy with it.

But they DIDNT retire. The Colts had no MAJOR losses, and had a pretty decent draft, imo. The last game the Patriots played, they melted down against the Colts, and while the Patriots may have made a ton of beautifully looking moves, those moves dont erase that choke job last year. For once, we get to tell you to take off the red, white, and blue colored glasses, stop drinking that patriotic lemonade, and realize that YOUR team lost to the Patriots. Want to be ranked above them? Then beat them. Until then, take 2nd and be happy with it.

I am not really disagreeing with Coach or your points other then they should be handed the #1 ranking.

They did lose three key players on their defense that carried them to the Superbowl. Make no mistake, Peyton had his moments, but it was the D that won them the Superbowl. I also agree 110% on your point. While the Colts had to prove they could beat the Patriots, the shoe is on the other foot now. 3 straight losses over the past two years is not a hiccup but a trend.

Again, no real issue with them being number 1, but it being given to them. IMHO it should be San Diego.

The Colts lost 3 starters on defense this off season so I don't know how those aren't "major" losses.

The Pats get Wilson and Harrison back and also added Thomas & Meriweather. Not to mention a healthy Randall Gay, Junior Seau and Ellis Hobbs.

The Pats D set a franchise record last season for least points allowed.

Take off your green coloured glasses mate.

Well Harper isn't exactly what i'd call a great corner, and imo the reason behind the Colts defense being great in the playoffs was Bob Sanders. He brought a level of energy they didn't have during the reg. season, and with that everyone else played better. If he stays healthy, even without June at LB(who i'll give you, is a good player). Hughes has the potential to be just as good as Harper was, and Dungy being a "defensive guy" should probably be able to get the most out of him. They also found a replacement for Stokely in the first round, with Gonzalez, who only makes the Indy offense that much better.

The Colts lost 3 starters on defense this off season so I don't know how those aren't "major" losses.

The Pats get Wilson and Harrison back and also added Thomas & Meriweather. Not to mention a healthy Randall Gay, Junior Seau and Ellis Hobbs.

The Pats D set a franchise record last season for least points allowed.

Take off your green coloured glasses mate.

Also--im not taking anything away from the Patriots defense, or any part of the team. They made a lot of great moves, but(and this is just the way i see it), after how they collapsed against the Colts last year, they have to go out and beat them to be the best again. I dont think Brady is mentally weak enough to let one meltdown ruin him, but, now the Colts will have the confidence they didn't have before.

Well Harper isn't exactly what i'd call a great corner, and imo the reason behind the Colts defense being great in the playoffs was Bob Sanders. He brought a level of energy they didn't have during the reg. season, and with that everyone else played better. If he stays healthy, even without June at LB(who i'll give you, is a good player). Hughes has the potential to be just as good as Harper was, and Dungy being a "defensive guy" should probably be able to get the most out of him. They also found a replacement for Stokely in the first round, with Gonzalez, who only makes the Indy offense that much better.

I agree with your assessment of Sanders but the Colts D is still a question in my mind. The Offense is what it is. It's loaded.

The Colts will not repeat this year.

I am not really disagreeing with Coach or your points other then they should be handed the #1 ranking.

They did lose three key players on their defense that carried them to the Superbowl. Make no mistake, Peyton had his moments, but it was the D that won them the Superbowl. I also agree 110% on your point. While the Colts had to prove they could beat the Patriots, the shoe is on the other foot now. 3 straight losses over the past two years is not a hiccup but a trend.

Again, no real issue with them being number 1, but it being given to them. IMHO it should be San Diego.

I see what your saying about if their best player and coach retired, but they didn't and I would be all over Sand Diego also, but I can't understand why they let their coach go. The chargers have such good players they will definately be a team to look at but if I had to pick 4 teams that had the best chance to win it all... I'd say The saints and bears and colts and steelers.

I see what your saying about if their best player and coach retired, but they didn't and I would be all over Sand Diego also, but I can't understand why they let their coach go. The chargers have such good players they will definately be a team to look at but if I had to pick 4 teams that had the best chance to win it all... I'd say The saints and bears and colts and steelers.

I was thinking about starting a thread about the Chargers. Without a doubt they have the most talent in the NFL, but they failed last year and had something like 9 coaching changes this year.

They will win 10-11 games based on talent alone but I doubt they will get it done in the post season as their HC is an idiot.

For the past 5 years, the Colts have repeatedly been ranked #1, and they only won the championship this past season. So how come it is unbiased now, but before when the champion wasn't ranked #1 it was okay? I personally think the Pats have a better chance at winning it all this year, but I don't think either the Pats or Colts will take it. Too many good teams in the AFC, it will boil down to a play in a big game, the Ravens and Chargers both could make it. If the Jets and Bengals make the jump, it could be them too. The Steelers have been there before. The Broncos also re-tooled, and they have the Pats number.

I feel we can take out the Colts, we always play them tough and we've made a few big improvements this offseason. This is why they play the games, and why these guys are on TV/posting online instead of coaching.

Because Marty was holding them back in the playoffs? Why do you think we got rid of Hermy? The Chargers and the Jets both wanted Super Bowls, and to do that, you have to take a step backwards first sometimes. The Chargers may or may not do worse this season than last (probably worse), but they have a much better shot at winning in the playoffs now. Their new coach is a world better than Marty...

For the past 5 years, the Colts have repeatedly been ranked #1, and they only won the championship this past season. So how come it is unbiased now, but before when the champion wasn't ranked #1 it was okay? I personally think the Pats have a better chance at winning it all this year, but I don't think either the Pats or Colts will take it. Too many good teams in the AFC, it will boil down to a play in a big game, the Ravens and Chargers both could make it. If the Jets and Bengals make the jump, it could be them too. The Steelers have been there before. The Broncos also re-tooled, and they have the Pats number.

I feel we can take out the Colts, we always play them tough and we've made a few big improvements this offseason. This is why they play the games, and why these guys are on TV/posting online instead of coaching.

You hit the nail on the head.

The AFC is loaded. Colts, Pats, Chargers, Ravens, Bengals, Jets, etc.

Anything can and will happen this season.

Lets all hope for no injuries for the marquee players in the AFC.

You hit the nail on the head.

The AFC is loaded. Colts, Pats, Chargers, Ravens, Bengals, Jets, etc.

Anything can and will happen this season.

Lets all hope for no injuries for the marquee players in the AFC.

Great post Gainzo... it should be a fun season of football!

Steelers? I think they will rebound and be a contender.

I just think that the Chargers will be real good this year. Rivers is in his second year as a starter and LT. If they had the Colts receivers, or the Patriots for that matter ;) , they would be dam near unbeatable.

Steelers? I think they will rebound and be a contender.

I just think that the Chargers will be real good this year. Rivers is in his second year as a starter and LT. If they had the Colts receivers, or the Patriots for that matter ;) , they would be dam near unbeatable.

Unfortunately they have Norv (loser) Turner calling the shots. The Chargers will make the playoffs and then proceed to lose.

I also think that the Steelers will be back this year.

Unfortunately they have Norv (loser) Turner calling the shots. The Chargers will make the playoffs and then proceed to lose.

That is true. I just think this is the Boyz with Switzer for a year. A team good enough to overcome their coach.

What is it with Jets fans and the Steelers? The Steelers will be a major factor in the AFC North.

Are you kidding? Big Ben was a fluke... they have a new coach... a new system... and less talent...

Norv never really got a fair shot, and by all accounts he is considered a genius. The Chargers might surprise a lot of people this year and roll on through for an SB win. This is a good fit I think.

Norv never really got a fair shot, and by all accounts he is considered a genius. The Chargers might surprise a lot of people this year and roll on through for an SB win. This is a good fit I think.

I can't fault your logic but Norv is still living off the success that the early '90's Cowboys had. Keep in mind that he was the OC not the HC.

Norv has been a terrible HC.

Unbiased? Hardly at all.

The Bears never get respect. We beat the hell out of the Seahawks in the regular season, we beat them again in the playoffs. We beat the hell out of the Saints and now they have us ranked under both of those teams? Unbelieveable. So I guess getting the best TE in the draft isn't going to help our offense, nor is Hester playing WR/RB. I guess drafting a solid DE won't help our already sick D line. Unfreakin' believeable....3rd in the NFC! :rolleyes:

Here is a fine example of the disrespect the Bears get.

rememberthealamo.jpeg

badnewsbears.jpg

Unbiased? Hardly at all.

The Bears never get respect. We beat the hell out of the Seahawks in the regular season, we beat them again in the playoffs. We beat the hell out of the Saints and now they have us ranked under both of those teams? Unbelieveable. So I guess getting the best TE in the draft isn't going to help our offense, nor is Hester playing WR/RB. I guess drafting a solid DE won't help our already sick D line. Unfreakin' believeable....3rd in the NFC! :rolleyes:

Here is a fine example of the disrespect the Bears get.

rememberthealamo.jpeg

badnewsbears.jpg

i think they got knocked down in this poll because they lost their starting running back. But you're right they don't get a lot of respect. Might have something also to do with Grossman. One of the few QB's that is actually worse then Chad in my opinion. I've got a special place in my heart for the bears after the jets of course. I went to college near chicago and they kind of became my replacement team if the jets weren't on t.v.

Archived