Curtis "The Class Act" Martin and Mangini Pushes Team Even Harder [MERGED 2X]

jetfuel

Eric still Mean Mangini

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, June 8th 2007, 4:00 AM

Read Rich Cimini's The Jets Stream

Success hasn't softened Eric Mangini. Just the opposite, actually. The hard-driving coach, who established his reputation last summer with an ultra-demanding training camp, is pushing the Jets harder than ever, several players said yesterday. And they suspect the worst is yet to come.

"I look at the calendar every day, and I'm just dreading the fact that (training camp) has to come around," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said after practice at Hofstra.

Such is life under Mangini, who apparently doesn't believe in the phrase "Lighten up."

Some coaches start out as tough guys and back off in the second year, once they've built a foundation. Not Mangini, who has cranked up the intensity this offseason during organized team activities.

The non-contact practices, which conclude with next week's mandatory minicamp, include drills that weren't employed last year until training camp. The practices have been running about 30 minutes longer than last spring, players said.

"If they're two hours now," Coles said, "there's no telling what it will be like in camp."

The Jets finished a surprising 10-6 last season, but Mangini takes the amnesia approach to recent history. Playoff berth? What playoff berth?

"That little taste of success will make him push us even harder," safety Kerry Rhodes said.

Vintage Mangini: Even though the Jets aren't going to play a foul-weather game for another five months, he made them practice outdoors on Monday in driving rain and unseasonably chilly temperatures. "Hurricane Monday," quarterback Kellen Clemens called it. Their indoor practice facility remained empty.

Coaches have to be careful because there are league rules that prohibit contact and excessive work in the offseason - ask Tom Coughlin - but no one has publicly criticized Mangini's tactics. Even Coles, who often bemoans the workload, sees a method to the madness.

"He wants to see who's going to fold under pressure," he said. "All he does is apply pressure - week in, week out, day to day, hour to hour. A lot of guys can't handle it. But if they can deal with that, they can deal with game conditions."

TIP O' THE CAP: Curtis Martin, who is expected to retire, re-worked his contract in recent days, according to an NFL source. He agreed to void the 2008 and 2009 seasons and he reduced his 2007 salary from $3.25 million to $820,000, the veterans' minimum. It creates $2.4 million in additional cap space this year. The Jets were comfortably under the cap, so it's unclear why they needed to create immediate space (I wonder why they would clear space .... hmmmm?). ... CNick Mangold, who sat out last week with an undisclosed injury, is participating on a limited basis. ... LB Jonathan Vilma was excused to attend the graduation of his sister, who received an MBA from Harvard.

Eric still Mean Mangini

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Success hasn't softened Eric Mangini. Just the opposite, actually. The hard-driving coach, who established his reputation last summer with an ultra-demanding training camp, is pushing the Jets harder than ever, several players said yesterday. And they suspect the worst is yet to come.

"I look at the calendar every day, and I'm just dreading the fact that (training camp) has to come around," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said after practice at Hofstra.

Such is life under Mangini, who apparently doesn't believe in the phrase "Lighten up."

Some coaches start out as tough guys and back off in the second year, once they've built a foundation. Not Mangini, who has cranked up the intensity this offseason during organized team activities.

The non-contact practices, which conclude with next week's mandatory minicamp, include drills that weren't employed last year until training camp. The practices have been running about 30 minutes longer than last spring, players said.

"If they're two hours now," Coles said, "there's no telling what it will be like in camp."

The Jets finished a surprising 10-6 last season, but Mangini takes the amnesia approach to recent history. Playoff berth? What playoff berth?

"That little taste of success will make him push us even harder," safety Kerry Rhodes said.

Vintage Mangini: Even though the Jets aren't going to play a foul-weather game for another five months, he made them practice outdoors on Monday in driving rain and unseasonably chilly temperatures. "Hurricane Monday," quarterback Kellen Clemens called it. Their indoor practice facility remained empty.

Coaches have to be careful because there are league rules that prohibit contact and excessive work in the offseason - ask Tom Coughlin - but no one has publicly criticized Mangini's tactics. Even Coles, who often bemoans the workload, sees a method to the madness.

"He wants to see who's going to fold under pressure," he said. "All he does is apply pressure - week in, week out, day to day, hour to hour. A lot of guys can't handle it. But if they can deal with that, they can deal with game conditions."

TIP O' THE CAP: Curtis Martin, who is expected to retire, re-worked his contract in recent days, according to an NFL source. He agreed to void the 2008 and 2009 seasons and he reduced his 2007 salary from $3.25 million to $820,000, the veterans' minimum. It creates $2.4 million in additional cap space this year. The Jets were comfortably under the cap, so it's unclear why they needed to create immediate space (I wonder why they would clear space .... hmmmm?). ... CNick Mangold, who sat out last week with an undisclosed injury, is participating on a limited basis. ... LB Jonathan Vilma was excused to attend the graduation of his sister, who received an MBA from Harvard.

I love Mangini...

If the Jets aren't in the Super Bowl within the next 3 years I will be stunned.

He is building a team that is gonna be on top for a long time.

TIP O' THE CAP: Curtis Martin, who is expected to retire, re-worked his contract in recent days, according to an NFL source. He agreed to void the 2008 and 2009 seasons and he reduced his 2007 salary from $3.25 million to $820,000, the veterans' minimum. It creates $2.4 million in additional cap space this year. The Jets were comfortably under the cap, so it's unclear why they needed to create immediate space (I wonder why they would clear space .... hmmmm?).

You don't suppose Tangini is planning a major acquisition do you...? Who's out there that they could be eyeballing?

Maybe they're preparing to give paydays to some of their players like Kerry Rhodes... and still keep cap room if something becomes available...

or maybe its just taking care of their accounting early...

You don't suppose Tangini is planning a major acquisition do you...? Who's out there that they could be eyeballing?

Maybe they're preparing to give paydays to some of their players like Kerry Rhodes... and still keep cap room if something becomes available...

They already got Cotchery under contract for the next 5 years, fairly cheaply I'd say ($20 million) so I'm guessing the new in-house target will be Rhodes, especially if he has a monster season again like he did last. There will be a lot of looking at the play of Vilma this year as well. Both he and Rhodes' rookie contracts expire after next season and if they want to keep them, they will extend them before next season even begins.

As for this year, I guess they're keeping their options open if there is a surprising release between now and Mid-July.

It's funny, everyone always wants to make Coles out to be some locker room distraction for saying things like this, however it's clear that there is a very strong mutual respect between the two. Coles has always been the one to "heckle" Mangini a bit (nicknaming him The Penguin). You don't get away with that unless there is a clear cut high level of respect both for the coach and from the coach. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that Coles and Mangini probably have the strongest coach/player relationship on the team. Coles jawbone is probably still in some grassy filed outside of Gillette stadium thanks to a well timed vintage Pennington floater that nearly got him killed. After taking that kind of a hit, I would venture a guess that 80% of all WR's in the league would have been done for the day and not one person would blame or pass criticism for doing so. Coles was back in the very next series. Players don't do that for coaches they don't like or respect.

It's funny, everyone always wants to make Coles out to be some locker room distraction for saying things like this, however it's clear that there is a very strong mutual respect between the two. Coles has always been the one to "heckle" Mangini a bit (nicknaming him The Penguin). You don't get away with that unless there is a clear cut high level of respect both for the coach and from the coach. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that Coles and Mangini probably have the strongest coach/player relationship on the team. Coles jawbone is probably still in some grassy filed outside of Gillette stadium thanks to a well timed vintage Pennington floater that nearly got him killed. After taking that kind of a hit, I would venture a guess that 80% of all WR's in the league would have been done for the day and not one person would blame or pass criticism for doing so. Coles was back in the very next series. Players don't do that for coaches they don't like or respect.

Great point Booz, great point. There is obvious respect for Mangini from Coles and vice versa, no matter how tough Coles views and sometimes moans about to the press about the OTA's and Training Camp's.

I'm sure his relationship with mangini is fine and coles is definitely a team player, but i think he goes the extra 9 yards because of his relationship with Chad. Didn't Chad even name one of his kids Coles?

btw, i gotta agree with you about that hit coles took when zach thomas launched his body like a torpedo into him. i said to myself at the time he was for sure done for the rest of the season. that dude is one tough sonofabitch.

Maybe they are planning to pay Kendall!!! Probably not. It will help them lock up guys who need to be extended like Rhodes if they want (and they should). They could also just be leaving themselves some room in case some good players become available before the season. Either way, this is a good thing.

Coles is the man!!! Who's hating on Laverneus? Mangini loves him and there is no doubt about that.

There isnt anything to read into Martin taking a paycut... he is just doing the right thing... he wont be playing... so he is not going to try and pull every penny out that he can.

When I read this I got chills and started laughing... bwahahahaha

Eric still Mean Mangini

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Another example of Martin showing his class, and I'm so happy to be a Jets fan especially with our coach being Mangini.

Coles bitches about the training camp but I bet you he is one of the hardest workers day in and day out. Last year it may have looked like a problem because Mangini was in year 1, and we didn't know how the season would play out. This year? We know Coles is on board, we know Mangini is for real, so I don't think either of them is even slightly worried.

Seriously, it's just a throwaway comment, Coles isn't sugarcoating it for the press, he's telling it like it is. The camps are hard, he puts a lot of pressure on them. He doesn't need to sugarcoat it and say he's okay with it, because that isn't really news. My respect for Coles after last season is at an all time high, I'm glad we have this guy. Still don't think he's a premier WR in the league, but as long as Cotch continues to develop he does not have to be, 2 solid WRs>>1 great one.

There isnt anything to read into Martin taking a paycut... he is just doing the right thing... he wont be playing... so he is not going to try and pull every penny out that he can.

Really, that's the right thing? I seem to recall a certain QB that never played games but refused to take paycuts, although he eventually sorta kinda did (ie, he turned it into incentives...).

Really, that's the right thing? I seem to recall a certain QB that never played games but refused to take paycuts, although he eventually sorta kinda did (ie, he turned it into incentives...).

Your not talking about Chad...

Offered to take a cut to get Coles back...

Took a paycut... and EARNED his money back

Why should he take a cut... he always has intention of playing and is always penciled in as a starter... Martin is far from that status.

Are you talking about Chad? If you are your a moron.

POTW NOM

This isnt Curtis doing the team a favor at all. There are no give backs here. The only "savings" are against money that he was never going to earn this year.

All this does is make it harder to cut him for purely financial reasons. If he is costing $3 million and giving us nothing it is easier than if he is costing 800K and giving us nothing. The only certainly here was that he was never going to be getting 3 mill this year anyway. Regardless of any of that we need the roster spot and this guy has been done for a while.

Curtis has been paid more than any running back in the history of football. Most of it by the Jets. Maybe he gets overtaken in a while by Aleander or Edge but nobody should feel that Curtis has has the short end of any financial sticks.

How's that suit of his going against Lloyd's of London, by the by? Or is it buy? :)

Great post by Emerson Boozer. Too bad our itinerant murderer Orenthal James had the same number.

There is no shame in wearing the same number as O.J. It's the same as Jim Brown. The real horror is that Blair Thomas got to wear it.

Coles is a lightning rod. He takes heat off of other guys by giving the press a little raw meat from time to time. I'm sure Mangini knows that.

I like Coles, and I'm glad he's back where he belongs.

This isnt Curtis doing the team a favor at all. There are no give backs here. The only "savings" are against money that he was never going to earn this year.

All this does is make it harder to cut him for purely financial reasons. If he is costing $3 million and giving us nothing it is easier than if he is costing 800K and giving us nothing. The only certainly here was that he was never going to be getting 3 mill this year anyway. Regardless of any of that we need the roster spot and this guy has been done for a while.

Curtis has been paid more than any running back in the history of football. Most of it by the Jets. Maybe he gets overtaken in a while by Aleander or Edge but nobody should feel that Curtis has has the short end of any financial sticks.

Isn't it incredible?

$800K salary for doing absolutely nothing last year & another $800K for doing absolutely nothing this year. If he didn't do it, he'd get zero, since there is zero chance the Jets would pay him his original salary or anywhere close to it. If he was a real class act, he'd agree to retire already & get zero instead of bleeding the team slowly to get an extra million or two. Instead of the Jets paying it to Kendall (who despite his shortcomings, is playing), it's going to Martin. Imagine that. Kendall wants an extra $1M. The Jets say no, but Martin has no problem taking roughly that amount for doing absolutely nothing. What a selfless man Curtis is.

Even essentially in retirement this guy is still a ball-hog.

How's that suit of his going against Lloyd's of London, by the by? Or is it buy? :)

As class an act as he may be, it's pretty clear he's made a less than stellar hire when it came to his attorneys. To say as his complaint does that his injury took place on a day well after his last game and on a day the Jets didn't play a game made the suit pretty suspect. Making noises about a comeback didn't help. I wish him well; insurance companies are thieves. But hard to see how he wins this one.

As class an act as he may be, it's pretty clear he's made a less than stellar hire when it came to his attorneys. To say as his complaint does that his injury took place on a day well after his last game and on a day the Jets didn't play a game made the suit pretty suspect. Making noises about a comeback didn't help. I wish him well; insurance companies are thieves. But hard to see how he wins this one.

Thanks for that. I really don't know the particulars, except that he a) bought a policy that cost him upwards of 200K to protect himself in the event of debilitating injury and B) got denied for a pre-existing condition. My major qualm about it is that they INSURED him in the first place. I wouldn't think Lloyd's is a foolhardy underwriter generally speaking, so what's their line of thinking here?

Thanks for that. I really don't know the particulars, except that he a) bought a policy that cost him upwards of 200K to protect himself in the event of debilitating injury and B) got denied for a pre-existing condition. My major qualm about it is that they INSURED him in the first place. I wouldn't think Lloyd's is a foolhardy underwriter generally speaking, so what's their line of thinking here?
Why anyone would insure a 32-year old NFL running back is amazing. It should be a firing offense.

Why anyone would insure a 32-year old NFL running back is amazing. It should be a firing offense.

They should have denied him as 'uninsurable' right there. But they didn't. And they should pony up, I'm thinking. Good luck, Maria.

EDIT: Smartest thing I ever did (and I'm not that smart). I got mortgage disability insurance against all advice when my husband and I bought our home several years back. An extra $17 bucks tacked onto our mortgage coupon, we never missed it. And we were poor as hell. Anyway, the man took ill with cancer, and that policy paid our mortgage for 11 months. We would have been on the street. So, a tip to young home-buyers, mortgage disability insurance is way worth it. But as to pre-existing, they put us through the ringer, and the ins. co. looked for every reason in the book to not to pay out. Copies of med records, not AIDS related sarcoma, etc. Anyway, mortgage disability was money well spent as to me.

I dont get Martin's strategy right now. He's suing a company for not giving him insurance because he's diabled or whatever, but at the same time he's spreading comeback rumors? What't his thought process on that one? ehem, Lloyds of London please give me 5 million because I cant walk...Oh, BTW, I night start at RB for the Jets next season.

I dont get Martin's strategy right now. He's suing a company for not giving him insurance because he's diabled or whatever, but at the same time he's spreading comeback rumors? What't his thought process on that one? ehem, Lloyds of London please give me 5 million because I cant walk...Oh, BTW, I night start at RB for the Jets next season.

I dont think Martin is or was ever really considering making a comeback, think he was just keepin his options open.

Maybe he only discovered the real extent of his injuries while working out.

Archived