Overrated / Underrated = Jets - CBS.Sportsline.com

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats. Chad Pennington won a home playoff game against Peyton Manning, who we know is not followed by tremendous postseason success and also won against an inexpereinced, young San Diego team in 2004.

2 playoff wins do NOT put you up in the upper echelon of NFL Quarterbacks. Get real.

Wow 2 Wild Card wins oh baby!

Either way you write it though that's two playoff wins and it was against two good teams.

IF you can make excuses for Chads wins,then why can't we make excuses for his losses?Are we allowed to point out that he lost to a dynsaty last season?That he lost to one of the greatest offenses of all time in 03?That he lost to the best defense in the league in 05?

No of course not,the bottom line is that he's won two playoff games and lost 3.

Bottom line, and the facts:

The National Media, especially a lot in New York, feel as if Chad Pennington is a GOOD NFL Quarterback when he is just purely mediocre. He is mediocre when he is perceived good, that is how he is over-rated.

You feeling that he is medicore is not a fact,it's not a bottom line,it's your opinion.Mediocre is 8-8.

You feeling that he is medicore is not a fact,it's not a bottom line,it's your opinion.Mediocre is 8-8.

He is a mediocre Quarterback. Period.

8-4 - 02

4-6 - 03

8-5 - 04

1-2 - 05

10-6 - 06

2-3 (playoffs)

There you have it. Chad Pennington's record as a starting Quarterback. Add it up:

31-23 = Regular Season

2-3 = Postseason

33-26. Wow. Its a little bit over .500, but, if we establish his record against winning teams, its far worse then .500.

2 Wild Card wins in 5 seasons.

1 AFC East crown in 5 seasons.

Chad Pennington is a mediocre, middle, AVERAGE, Quarterback.

17 TD 16 INT 2000 something yards passing is pretty mediocre. The team record doesn't always speak to the QB's contributions, if it did, Trent Dilfer is clearly a better QB than Chad Pennington and many other NFL QBs.

So you want a guy who "wins" in the regular season and then ****s the bed in the playoffs?

Two points.

1)This isn't about what i want,this is about how people are rating Chad Pennington.Sure I'd like a better QB,but'd also like a better efense,a better offense line,better wide receivers and a better running back.

2)You are are once again going a wee bit over the top when describing his playoff performances.Sure he could of played better in our losses but stop trying to make it sound like he put in the worst performance ever seen in a sporting event.

17 TD 16 INT 2000 something yards passing is pretty mediocre. The team record doesn't always speak to the QB's contributions, if it did, Trent Dilfer is clearly a better QB than Chad Pennington and many other NFL QBs.

Playoffs?

It takes a good QB to win in the playoffs, Chad has done that. End of story.

Mediocre QB's do not make the playoffs with double digit wins on a team like the 06' JETS... a mediocre QB would have led the JEts to 6-10 last season.

He is a mediocre Quarterback. Period.

8-4 - 02

4-6 - 03

8-5 - 04

1-2 - 05

10-6 - 06

2-3 (playoffs)

There you have it. Chad Pennington's record as a starting Quarterback. Add it up:

31-23 = Regular Season

2-3 = Postseason

33-26. Wow. Its a little bit over .500, but, if we establish his record against winning teams, its far worse then .500.

2 Wild Card wins in 5 seasons.

1 AFC East crown in 5 seasons.

Chad Pennington is a mediocre, middle, AVERAGE, Quarterback.

But they are 9-18 without chad pennington which is .333.And quite frankly I believe a good QB makes up for a .200 increase in a teams win rating,not a an average QB.

Judging a QB by their record against winning teams is probably a better way of judging great QBs,but we're not debating if Chad is a great QB,we are discussing if he is a good QB.

And 0.559 is above medicore.So at worst Chad is an above medicore QB by the very least;)

I agree but other people were bringing up what his record was so i though i'd fight fire with fire.

No doubt his stats weren't pretty last year but they are pretty good for coming off of two consecutive shoulder injuries.I'm expecting chad to post much better stats than last year.

I agree but other people were bringing up what his record was so i though i'd fight fire with fire.

No doubt his stats weren't pretty last year but they are pretty good for coming off of two consecutive shoulder injuries.I'm expecting chad to post much better stats than last year.

Exactly... nobody over rated him... most people were wondering when he would hit the bench or hurt his arm... he was coming off two surgeries and the JETS drafted a 2nd round QB and brought in a former starter... even the JETS didnt over rate him...

Exactly... nobody over rated him... most people were wondering when he would hit the bench or hurt his arm... he was coming off two surgeries and the JETS drafted a 2nd round QB and brought in a former starter... even the JETS didnt over rate him...

Enjoy your 9 or 10 wins in the regular season.

What has Chad done when it counts?

HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY SAY THAT???

He was our best player vs the Pats and if it wasnt for a freak play we may have won that damn game. He was consistently moving the ball deep into your territory and your great defence couldnt stop him, untili very late on when we were forced to play catch up.

If we would have had played half decent defence we would have won that game IMO.He played a heck of a lot better than Peyton 'choker' Manning did throughout his playoffs when he needed a half to warm up.His defence won him that SB(in the PO's anyways.), and thats something I didnt think Id ever say.

Take a closer look at his performance vs the Patriots in the playoffs this past year.

1st Quarter: Jets down 7-0

Ball at 10 yard line, in the redzone after our defense (Drob) forces a fumble that Poteat recovers.

Pennington fails to lead the offense to a touchdown and has to settle for a field goal.

Jets down 7-3

Early 3rd Quarter: Jets down 17-10

Ball at 12 yard line in the redzone. Leon rushes for 5 yards on 1st down. 2nd and 5 Pennington throws an incomplete pass. 3rd and 5 Pennington throws a pass that is tipped by Seymour at the line, then tipped by Vrabel in the LB corps, Baker ends up catching the pass but it did not get the 1st down yardage or a touchdown.

Jets have to once again settle for a field goal when they needed a touchdown.

Jets down 17-13

Late 3rd Quarter: Jets down 20-13

Ball at 50 yard line after Leon Washington had a 19 yard run off right tackle. Pennington fails to find a clear window to the throw his attempted backwards pass. Ball is knocked down by Rosevelt Colvin who was being blocked by Dbrick. Pennington fails to realize, for all his smarts, that the ball is still live and is a fumble. Wilfork picks up the ball and runs to the 15 yard line. Jets defense does the job and limits the Pats to a field goal. This was a crucial drive in the game as the Jets were gaining momentum only to have Chad throw it all away on ironically, a backwards pass.

Jets down 23-13

Early 4th Quarter: Jets down 23-13

Pennington misses a wide open Chris Baker on 2nd and 8 in the redzone. 3rd and 8, Pennington once again throws an incomplete pass on 3rd down failing to drive the ball in tight coverage; lack of arm strength a clear issue on this pass that was knocked down as there was a window there to complete the pass.

No touchdown, the Jets offense when they desperately needed a touchdown, has to settle for a field goal.

Jets down 23-16

4th Quarter, 5 minutes left: Jets down 30-13

Down by 2 scores, the feeling is grim amongst Jets fans as they have never once had their QB lead them to victory when down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter his entire career. Pennington attempts to throw a 15 yard out - Samuel waits on the pass intended for Justin McCareins, jumps the route picks it off and runs it back for a touchdown. Game over. Jets lose 37-16

Chad was 0 for 3 in the red zone and single handedly spotted the Patriots 10 points!

He settles for field goals instead of getting touchdowns. It has been his M.O. his entire career, especially in the playoffs.

Field goals do not win championships. Quarterbacks who settle for field goals, do not win championships.

Take a closer look at his performance vs the Patriots in the playoffs this past year.

Ball at 10 yard line, in the redzone after our defense (Drob) forces a fumble that Poteat recovers.

Pennington fails to lead the offense to a touchdown and has to settle for a field goal.

Jets down 7-3

Ball at 12 yard line in the redzone. Leon rushes for 5 yards on 1st down. 2nd and 5 Pennington throws an incomplete pass. 3rd and 5 Pennington throws a pass that is tipped by Seymour at the line, then tipped by Vrabel in the LB corps, Baker ends up catching the pass but it did not get the 1st down yardage or a touchdown.

Jets down 17-13

Ball at 50 yard line after Leon Washington had a 19 yard run off right tackle. Pennington fails to find a clear window to the throw his attempted backwards pass. Ball is knocked down by Rosevelt Colvin who was being blocked by Dbrick. Pennington fails to realize, for all his smarts, that the ball is still live and is a fumble. Wilfork picks up the ball and runs to the 15 yard line. Jets defense does the job and limits the Pats to a field goal. This was a crucial drive in the game as the Jets were gaining momentum only to have Chad throw it all away on ironically, a backwards pass.

Jets down 23-13

Pennington misses a wide open Chris Baker on 2nd and 8 in the redzone. 3rd and 8, Pennington once again throws an incomplete pass on 3rd down failing to drive the ball in tight coverage; lack of arm strength a clear issue on this pass that was knocked down as there was a window there to complete the pass.

No touchdown, the Jets offense when they desperately needed a touchdown, has to settle for a field goal.

Jets down 23-16

Down by 2 scores, the feeling is grim amongst Jets fans as they have never once had their QB lead them to victory when down by 2 scores in the 4th quarter his entire career. Pennington attempts to throw a 15 yard out - Samuel waits on the pass intended for Justin McCareins, jumps the route picks it off and runs it back for a touchdown. Game over. Jets lose 37-16

Chad was 0 for 3 in the red zone and single handedly spotted the Patriots 10 points!

He settles for field goals instead of getting touchdowns. It has been his M.O. his entire career, especially in the playoffs.

Field goals do not win championships. Quarterbacks who settle for field goals, do not win championships.

ecurb and Ten are telling us that Chad has won 2 playoff games and that's all that matters.

Has Chad ever made it past the Divisional Round of the playoffs?

I'm not hijacking anything.

Has Chad won 11 games in the regular season?

Once again this thread is about wither or not Chad is a good QB and how he should be rated,you keep trying to turn this into is Chad a great QB debate?Is he on the level of Brady and Manning?Is he good enough to take the Jets to a superbowl?I'm sick and tired of every ****ing thread getting turned into the same old argument.

ecurb and Ten are telling us that Chad has won 2 playoff games and that's all that matters.

Has Chad ever made it past the Divisional Round of the playoffs?

Yeah,considering what we are talking about.Are you honestly trying to say that to be a good QB you need to make it to the championship game?

E nailed it, this thread is about being overrated and even the Jets FO didn't have much faith in him last year so he can't be overrated. He wasn't supposed to be able to come back, remember??? That's not overrated, sorry.

Rhodes is clearly underrated given his performance last year and: 1. wherehe was drafted and 2. him not being considered for the probowl (not even as an alternate).

And yes, the haters are trying to make this thread about Chad and not the subject of the thread. Just ignore them or, since its the offseason, get sucked in and help kill some bandwith.

Yeah,considering what we are talking about.Are you honestly trying to say that to be a good QB you need to make it to the championship game?

I'm saying that Chad will never take you to the Championship Game.

I'm not hijacking anything.

Has Chad won 11 games in the regular season?

Has Brady won 15 games in the regular season? No? Oh well I guess he's alright.

Has Brady thrown 30 TD? No? Oh well.

Has Brady thrown over 4200 yards? No? Oh well.

Has Brady thrown less than 12 INT in a season? No? Oh well.

Has Brady completed more than 65% of his passes? No? Oh well.

Has Brady rushed for more than 1 TD? No? Oh well.

I can set the bar too high also.:)

I just find it funny how 11 is the benchmark why not say 12, 13, 14, 15, or 16?

It's like saying "Can the Pats win a title w/o a major controversy that favors them?"

Easily. Most of the national media, for some ungodly reason, views him as an above average / good Quarterback when really he is nothing more then mediocre.

If chad is not above average then tell me the qb's that you think are just average.

This should be a fun list to read.

Jets down 7-3

Jets down 17-13

Jets down 23-13

Jets down 23-16

LOL Barton you really really are ridicoulous, I mean, way to focus in on the negatives. That pick at the end was worth ****, Chad was just trying to make a play, and he wasnt the only one to be picked and returned by Samuel in the playoffs(see your boy Peyton in the Championship game or go back a year where he done it to the Jags).Anyone who blames Chad for the backward pass is just a fool, the play is designed to do that, The jets ran that play loads of times throughout the year with great success, it was a great play by Colvin. You blame Chad for not reacting yet D'brick had a much much better shot at it than Chad.

It's like saying "Can the Pats win a title w/o a major controversy that favors them?"

Brady has won 14 games in a season twice.

Brady has thrown 28 TD's in season.

The most INT's Brady has ever thrown in a season is 14.

Brady has been to 4 AFC Championship Games in 7 seasons and has won 3 Super Bowls.

Has Chad even come close?

11 games. Has Chad ever won 11 games? NO.

It's been 9 years since the Jets have won more than 11 games.

LOL. WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!

INDY VS BALTIMORE

Indy win 15-6

by kicking 5 FIELD GOALS which of course dont win you championships!!!

worked out pretty well for them dont ya think. rolleyes.gif

LOL Barton you really really are ridicoulous, I mean, way to focus in on the negatives. That pick at the end was worth ****, Chad was just trying to make a play, and he wasnt the only one to be picked and returned by Samuel in the playoffs(see your boy Peyton in the Championship game or go back a year where he done it to the Jags).Anyone who blames Chad for the backward pass is just a fool, the play is designed to do that, The jets ran that play loads of times throughout the year with great success, it was a great play by Colvin. You blame Chad for not reacting yet D'brick had a much much better shot at it than Chad.

excuses. excuses. excuses.

LOL. WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!

INDY VS BALTIMORE

Indy win 15-6

They did not win a championship that game dumbass.

LOL. WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!

INDY VS BALTIMORE

Indy win 15-6

Peyton was simply playing within the game, field goals would have done the job because the Balti offense was pathetic. Chad was not playing within the game. The Pats were scoring touchdowns and up by MORE than a single field goal, yet Chad settled for field goals. Big differene, smart guy.

Also, if you want to count on your defense to pitch a shut out, a single FG can win a game, but is that the most likely way to beat your opponent? Maybe I am just unrealistic to not expect my defense to pitch a shutout I guess.........

Play the odds, smart guy - Obviously NOT. You increase your chances at winning a superbowl if you score touchdowns in the playoffs, not field goals.

I like how you keep up w/the personal attacks. Dont expect to last very long at JN.

btw, the colts played the bears in the superbowl. Not the ravens.

Yeah that's the problem with a mb discussion when there are a lot of different posters and topics at once, people get confused and start attacking each other when a poster isn't actually attacking the person that thinks they are being attacked in the first place.

I too hope to see Chad light it up this season, but I'm not going to consider him great for playing after being injured. I don't care about anything outside of results in terms of a player's ability. He could be a thug of the field, or he could be injured, or he could have all sorts of family problems, but that doesn't change what he does on any given sunday. I don't give a **** about any of that, so that is what I meant when I made the wheelchair comment. You don't get bonus points for playing through an injury or anything. Any TD you throw doesn't suddenly get counted as 9 points. You are what you produce, and Chad was very mediocre last season. Overall in his career he has been good/solid for the most part, with flashes of brilliance and flashes of Ryan Leaf. I have posted he is "good" for awhile now, but I will probably attack him after a game that he loses for us. That's why I'm a fan, and that's why I post at a Jets board, because I'm passionate about the team. Right now I'm far removed from that, so without any emotion, I can easily say Chad is good. Maybe Barton and others just have a better memory than me, or can't step back after emotion runs its course. Either way, they're allowed their opinion, just as you and I are.

Archived