Yankees now LESS than 10 games behing the RedSox... how long until they catch up?

ECURB

If you are a GM in the AL you build your team completely different than a NL one. That is just the way it is with the DH, less double switches etc.

Every time the Yanks get off to a bad start and appear to be headed for another divisonal round exit (at best), we hear about how tough the Jays-Rays and Orioles are.

Nobody said there wasn't a good reason for the dominance of the AL over the NL...just saying it's there.

Speaking of the Rays...if that kid that pitched last night is the real deal (and boy did he look like it) that gives the Rays three very good starting pitchers (first time they've ever been able to say that) and some damn good bats. This may be the most competitive team they've ever had and an excellent foundation for the future.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Yankees, no matter the year or positioning, always get up and play up to the Red Sox. They don't see each other until August. We'll see how the Yankees play against other .500+ teams. Until then, they're still 9.5 back to a team with a better rotation and bullpen. And we all know what pitching wins.

I know what it wins, and we won it 26 times to their 6.

I'm a little surprised you Yankee fans show such a lack of faith. With their payroll they'll always make the playoffs, there are enough bad teams to knock around that will almost guarantee them a spot as a wild card or better.

They'll make the playoffs, and then A-rod will have to switch brands of tampon and hit about 210 again. They should do fine.

The Yankees, no matter the year or positioning, always get up and play up to the Red Sox. They don't see each other until August. We'll see how the Yankees play against other .500+ teams. Until then, they're still 9.5 back to a team with a better rotation and bullpen. And we all know what pitching wins.
The Rotations are close right now now that they are healthy (It will be much better when hughes gets back) and when Flukajima comes back to earth (and he will) the yankees will have a better bullpen it's not like the boston bullpen after flukajima and papelbon is any good.

Nobody said there wasn't a good reason for the dominance of the AL over the NL...just saying it's there.

Speaking of the Rays...if that kid that pitched last night is the real deal (and boy did he look like it) that gives the Rays three very good starting pitchers (first time they've ever been able to say that) and some damn good bats. This may be the most competitive team they've ever had and an excellent foundation for the future.

Definite on the Rays....now the trick is to wrap up long term guys like Shields, Upton, Harris, Sonnastine. Al Reyes should also bring back a pretty high prospect at the trade deadline.

I'm a little surprised you Yankee fans show such a lack of faith. With their payroll they'll always make the playoffs, there are enough bad teams to knock around that will almost guarantee them a spot as a wild card or better.

They'll make the playoffs, and then A-rod will have to switch brands of tampon and hit about 210 again. They should do fine.

If the Tigers and Indians strengthen their pens the Yanks miss the play-offs.

Both have deep staffs and also line-ups that compare favorably with the Yankees.

Yanks will need a extended winning streak and hope the AL Central is knocking each other off.

The Rotations are close right now now that they are healthy (It will be much better when hughes gets back) and when Flukajima comes back to earth (and he will) the yankees will have a better bullpen it's not like the boston bullpen after flukajima and papelbon is any good.

How bout Beckett Mike? I am sure his periphials aren't up to your standards but 9-0 is a nice start.

How bout Beckett Mike? I am sure his periphials aren't up to your standards but 9-0 is a nice start.

He's been very good. His 9-0 record is because of his ML leading run support but he's improved on last year. He probably won't be this good all year though.

Definite on the Rays....now the trick is to wrap up long term guys like Shields, Upton, Harris, Sonnastine. Al Reyes should also bring back a pretty high prospect at the trade deadline.

I think the trick they need is to find a way out of the AL East!! :)

Why is Okajima a fluke? Because he is a Red Sox? I'm confused. Or is it the fact he's been doing well consistently?

And you're right. Snyder (2.25 ERA) Donnelly (3.05 ERA) Javier Lopez (3.21 ERA) have been much worse than your relievers. Oh and don't forget we have Lester coming back too and I think, personally, he's more important to the Sox than Hughes is to the Yankees. Being a lefty and the fact Tavarez goes to the pen and strengthens an already above average bullpen.

Why is Okajima a fluke? Because he is a Red Sox? I'm confused. Or is it the fact he's been doing well consistently?
He's a fluke because pitchers don't have better numbers in the US than japan and sustain that for any period of time. He'll be no different. His last year in Japan his ERA was almost 5.

And you're right. Snyder (2.25 ERA) Donnelly (3.05 ERA) Javier Lopez (3.21 ERA) have been much worse than your relievers. Oh and don't forget we have Lester coming back too and I think, personally, he's more important to the Sox than Hughes is to the Yankees. Being a lefty and the fact Tavarez goes to the pen and strengthens an already above average bullpen.

Snyder sucks (as his career numbers show) Donnelly has been in a big decline and will also start to pitch much more like he did last year and Lopez is garbage like Snyder. Even if Lester is more important to boston than Hughes is to the yankees Hughes is just a much better pitcher than he is. And BTW Lester is getting bombed in AAA. his last start he couldn't get out of the 3rd inning.

He's a fluke because pitchers don't have better numbers in the US than japan and sustain that for any period of time. He'll be no different. His last year in Japan his ERA was almost 5.

Snyder sucks (as his career numbers show) Donnelly has been in a big decline and will also start to pitch much more like he did last year and Lopez is garbage like Snyder. Even if Lester is more important to boston than Hughes is to the yankees Hughes is just a much better pitcher than he is. And BTW Lester is getting bombed in AAA. his last start he couldn't get out of the 3rd inning.

So your argument is they all did badly before so they're all a fluke. I don't even know why I debate with you. Oh ya. BTW, Lester in 7 starts in AAA has a 2.01 ERA. And that was after his last and only poor start. Get some facts right and then come talk to me.

So your argument is they all did badly before so they're all a fluke. I don't even know why I debate with you. Oh ya. BTW, Lester in 7 starts in AAA has a 2.01 ERA. And that was after his last and only poor start. Get some facts right and then come talk to me.

Players in their 30's don't magically get better and sustain it.

As for lester. He's healthy. If they thought he was ready to help them he would be in the majors. They obviously don't. in fact they just took him off the DL and optioned him down to AAA.

Players in their 30's don't magically get better and sustain it.

As for lester. He's healthy. If they thought he was ready to help them he would be in the majors. They obviously don't. in fact they just took him off the DL and optioned him down to AAA.

Yes they did. The main reason being that they are currently set with the rotation and have the luxury of keeping him down longer to continue to develop.

PLayers in their thirties don't get better and sustain it? Then why do the Yankees keep filling their roster with players 30+? There is no reason to believe that the Sox staff and bullpen cannot keep up their pace.

Yes they did. The main reason being that they are currently set with the rotation and have the luxury of keeping him down longer to continue to develop.

PLayers in their thirties don't get better and sustain it? Then why do the Yankees keep filling their roster with players 30+? There is no reason to believe that the Sox staff and bullpen cannot keep up their pace.

So they are fine with tavarez and his awful numbers in their rotation?

The yankees get GOOD players in their 30's. You have garbage in their 30's who are playing over their heads and clearly won't continue to. Just like Wakefield and Lowell are falling flat on their faces.

So they are fine with tavarez and his awful numbers in their rotation?

The yankees get GOOD players in their 30's. You have garbage in their 30's who are playing over their heads and clearly won't continue to. Just like Wakefield and Lowell are falling flat on their faces.

You mean like Johnny Damon hitting .264? Or Bobby Abreu with his .734 OPS? No no. You must be talking about the quality pick-ups like Villone, Farnsworth, and others.

Oh, by the way Tim Wakefield has more QS than anyone on your team except for Andy Pettite. And Mike Lowell has more RBIs and HRs than anyone on the Yankees not named A-Rod.

Julian Tavarez by the way, in the last month has a 2-0 record with a 3.90 ERA. Not bad for a 5th starter converted from the bullpen. And 2 of his 3 wins this year have been against your team.

But please. Keep trying. This is entertaining to me.

You mean like Johnny Damon hitting .264? Or Bobby Abreu with his .734 OPS? No no. You must be talking about the quality pick-ups like Villone, Farnsworth, and others.

Oh, by the way Tim Wakefield has more QS than anyone on your team except for Andy Pettite. And Mike Lowell has more RBIs and HRs than anyone on the Yankees not named A-Rod.

Julian Tavarez by the way, in the last month has a 2-0 record with a 3.90 ERA. Not bad for a 5th starter converted from the bullpen. And 2 of his 3 wins this year have been against your team.

So Johnny Damon gets judged on 2 month when he was hurt and not the great year he had last year? i'd still rather have him than Coco Crisp. And Abreu gets judged on his month long slump rather than his entire career of being a GREAT (not good) great hitter? He's done at 33? Give me a break. The yankees had alot of player underachieve early in the season thats why they are 9 games back.

Good luck with Wakefield and his 9 ERA in the june. Or Lowell who's OPS was in the 600's in the 2nd half last year.

Lots of crappy pitchers beat the yankees this year. That doesn't mean they should be in anyones rotation. Igawa completely just down boston. Does that mean he's good?

abreu's OPS is .734 and the league is .740

hes heating up.

So Johnny Damon gets judged on 2 month when he was hurt and not the great year he had last year? i'd still rather have him than Coco Crisp. And Abreu gets judged on his month long slump rather than his entire career of being a GREAT (not good) great hitter? He's done at 33? Give me a break. The yankees had alot of player underachieve early in the season thats why they are 9 games back.

Good luck with Wakefield and his 9 ERA in the june. Or Lowell who's OPS was in the 600's in the 2nd half last year.

Lots of crappy pitchers beat the yankees this year. That doesn't mean they should be in anyones rotation. Igawa completely just down boston. Does that mean he's good?

Sounds like a lot of hoping/wishing/praying on your part. You need the Red Sox to fall apart AND the Yankees to find lightning in a bottle (ask Giambi, he probably has a supplier for that too...)

The Yankees are 9 games back because their All-star lineup and pitching sucks this year AND the Red Sox are having a very good season.

How about doing something completely shocking and different for a sports fan (i was going to say Yanks fan, but there are plenty for all teams)... give the Red Sox credit for what they have done so far and realize your team has sucked for the majority of the season. Sure the standings mean nothing in June and olny matter AFTER 162 games.

Stop being a homer and start acting like someone who knows how to debate sports.

Oh, BTW, I'm not a Red Sox fan. Mets fan. And not one of those jealous one's who hate the Yankees for their success while my team has had little success. I dont hate the Yanks. Its stupid to hate because another team is better AND they arent our direct competition. 6 games a year doesnt make a rivalry.

AS OF JUNE 12th:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp

Yankees 30-31 9.5 games back 6 back in wild card

6 teams in AL with better record than Yanks (one other with identical record)

Too bad the Yanks cant use Expected Won/Loss record... they are 35-26 with that stupid stat.. only 3 games back of the Red Sux.

Yanks have 101 games left. Can they make it up??? Sure can. Can the Red Sox maintain their lead??? Sure can. But there are LOTS of factors involved.

Its funny to watch the Mets fans and fans of other teams just continuesly be obsessed about the Yankees, when they don't even watch the game. You look at Wang's numbers and say he isn't have as great a season as Wakefield.. thats just moronic. The guy's Spring Training was in mid-April when everyone else who was healthy during Spring Training was ready. So Wang struggled in his first few outings but recently has shown the #1 stuff he showed all last season.

Also, 9.5 back is not a lot considering when 5 games were just made up in 10 days and its not even the middle of June yet. There have not even been 2 and a half months of baseball played. Guess what Boston, there are still another 3 and 3/4th months to go. It ain't over yet.

I am so damn tired of going through this **** every season with Mets fans and Red Sox fans, especially on this board. Do you not watch the games every season? Clearly you don't. Every season it is the damn same. Boston jumps out to a nice cushin in April & May and in June the wheels start to fall off and by August or September the Yankees take complete control.

Am I saying it will definitely happen again this year? No, but the Yankees are only 5, 5.5 out of the Wild Card as it is and if they go on a strong enough tear, they will beat out the Red Sox, especially if in their final 6 meetings they string together 4 out 6, making up yet another 2 games.

This season is long from over.

Sounds like a lot of hoping/wishing/praying on your part. You need the Red Sox to fall apart AND the Yankees to find lightning in a bottle (ask Giambi, he probably has a supplier for that too...)

The Yankees are 9 games back because their All-star lineup and pitching sucks this year AND the Red Sox are having a very good season.

How about doing something completely shocking and different for a sports fan (i was going to say Yanks fan, but there are plenty for all teams)... give the Red Sox credit for what they have done so far and realize your team has sucked for the majority of the season. Sure the standings mean nothing in June and olny matter AFTER 162 games.

You give credit when the season is over and last time i checked it's not over.

Archived