Jets | AFCE | Shift to Offense

rick34125

Not that long ago it seemed the AFCE was mostly about defense. Now it seems the focus has shifted to offense.

While the Jets have made improvements at the running back position, rival AFCE teams have also been upgrading their offenses in the offseason.

Consider New England's offseason WR moves; Miami's acquisitions of Green and Ted Ginn Jr.; And Buffalo's addition of Marshawn Lynch (who will be used extensively as a receiver out of the backfield) to an emerging (possibly very potent) 2nd year offense.

Without question the Jets will need to make a better showing on defense to be competitive, not just with better run stopping, but maybe more importantly, with better pass rushing.

But this just begs the question: will the Jets defense match up against their AFCE rivals' passing game in 2007?

The Pats upgraded their defense... they added the best LB available in FA....

that's true, each team made key defensive additions too. But look at these teams now with their offensive additions. their offenses are looking much more potent, maybe more than the defensive side (if not so much with miami, certainly with buffalo and new england).

These teams will have the potential to score a lot of points and i wonder if the jets have a good enough answer for them on defense.

will the Jets defense match up against their AFCE rivals' passing game in 2007?

I think by mid-season our secondary will be very-good, if not spectacular; and the better our pass rush is, the better our total defense will be.

Our main focus should be to prove that teams cannot run all over us. I would hope that once we can develop our cohesive defense, teams will feel they NEED to pass on us to get the job done... That means more picks for Dyson, Rhodes and Co.

Dolphins - offense doesn't scare me. Their offensive line still sucks and they didn't realy do anything in the off-season to improve it. Green will give them stability at the QB position which they didn't have last year with Culpeper getting injured and Joey Bright Skies being himself. Watch out for Green's concussion problem though. Their defense scares me alot more with that front 7 though their secondary still sucks.

Bills - they lost McGahee, one of the biggest Jet killers out there. Jets only have to face him once next season. Still, if Lynch turns out to be the real deal watch out. Their offensive line also was upgraded in the off-season. JP Losman is the key to this offense. As Losman goes, the Bills go.

Pats - this is one of the most stacked teams in recent years. Brady finally has some targets to throw to. Ryan O'Callaghan, with a year of experience, has the potential to be a dominant Right Tackle. All this team needs is a RB, like Chris Bown, to team up with Maroney in the backfield.

Jets - backfield was upgraded with the Thomas Jones trade. Lack of any kind of running game was a big weakness the Jets had last off-season. Chad Pennington takes more flak than any other playoff starter QB in the NFL yet he took this team to a 10-6 record with absolutely no running game to support him.

Offensive Line is just average if not below average. Nick Mangold is a pro bowler but after that Kendall is old, undersized and probably 1-2 years away from retirement. D'Brickashaw Ferguson is somewhat of a disappointment. Brandon Moore and Anthony Clement would be back-ups on most teams. Team strength is clearly at the wr position with Coles and Cotchery making plays. Brian Schottenheimer is one of the most clever OC's in the game and should have gotten a Head Coaching job last off-season.

AFC East Offenses Ranked:

1. Pats

2. Jets

3. Bills

4. Phins

Dolphins - offense doesn't scare me. Their offensive line still sucks and they didn't realy do anything in the off-season to improve it. Green will give them stability at the QB position which they didn't have last year with Culpeper getting injured and Joey Bright Skies being himself. Watch out for Green's concussion problem though. Their defense scares me alot more with that front 7 though their secondary still sucks.

Bills - they lost McGahee, one of the biggest Jet killers out there. Jets only have to face him once next season. Still, if Lynch turns out to be the real deal watch out. Their offensive line also was upgraded in the off-season. JP Losman is the key to this offense. As Losman goes, the Bills go.

Pats - this is one of the most stacked teams in recent years. Brady finally has some targets to throw to. Ryan O'Callaghan, with a year of experience, has the potential to be a dominant Right Tackle. All this team needs is a RB, like Chris Bown, to team up with Maroney in the backfield.

Jets - backfield was upgraded with the Thomas Jones trade. Lack of any kind of running game was a big weakness the Jets had last off-season. Chad Pennington takes more flak than any other playoff starter QB in the NFL yet he took this team to a 10-6 record with absolutely no running game to support him.

Offensive Line is just average if not below average. Nick Mangold is a pro bowler but after that Kendall is old, undersized and probably 1-2 years away from retirement. D'Brickashaw Ferguson is somewhat of a disappointment. Brandon Moore and Anthony Clement would be back-ups on most teams. Team strength is clearly at the wr position with Coles and Cotchery making plays. Brian Schottenheimer is one of the most clever OC's in the game and should have gotten a Head Coaching job last off-season.

AFC East Offenses Ranked:

1. Pats

2. Jets

3. Bills

4. Phins

Great post PN.

Only thing I disagree with is Chad taking the most flak of any playoff QB. I don't think he gets it nearly as bad as Rex Grossman or Eli Manning.

The Jets will easily have the second best offense but there is no way that Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Justin McCareins, Tim Dwight, Brad Smith, Leon Washington and Thomas Jones match-up with Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth, Wes Welker, Reche Cadwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington and Laurence Maroney.

The Jets will easily have the second best offense but there is no way that Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Justin McCareins, Tim Dwight, Brad Smith, Leon Washington and Thomas Jones match-up with Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth, Wes Welker, Reche Cadwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington and Laurence Maroney.

After Brady, our guys more than match up with theirs. You don't really think Maroney is better than TJ do you? Or Donte Stallworth better than Cotch or Coles? Cadwell and Gaffney better than Jmac?

I left Randy out because he's a bit of an enigma right now. He could be all pro this year, he could be benched by week 8.

After Brady, our guys more than match up with theirs. You don't really think Maroney is better than TJ do you? Or Donte Stallworth better than Cotch or Coles? Cadwell and Gaffney better than Jmac?

I left Randy out because he's a bit of an enigma right now. He could be all pro this year, he could be benched by week 8.

Caldwell and Gaffney are better than McCareins, for the most part. The only part of McCareins' game that is better than Caldwell's and Gaffney's is his heigh advantage. They both have better speed and better deep ball ability, and in the hands catagory I say McCareins may have the edge on Caldwell, but not on Gaffney.

As of now, yes, Stallworth is better then Cotchery. We've seen one good season out of the guy, less then 1,000 yards, lets not crown him a future #1 Wide Receiver just yet. Moss easily beats out Coles as well and yes, Welker, much better then Tim Dwight or Brad Smith, at this point.

Maroney is younger, faster and more of a bruiser. I don't know, I guess its split at this point.

that's not what I have seen or heard. They could be trying to replace him.

Pats aren't trying to replace O'Callaghan, actually he is competing with Nick Kaczur for the starting job this summer. O'Callaghan started six games last year, got hurt and then stayed on the bench in favor of Nick Kaczur who I guess the Pats felt was a better pass protector last year and had more experience and had just come back from some kind of surgery. Still, O'Callaghan has a world of talent and is a huge, powerful guy. I would love to have someone like that on the Jets' right side.

As of now, yes, Stallworth is better then Cotchery. We've seen one good season out of the guy, less then 1,000 yards, lets not crown him a future #1 Wide Receiver just yet. Moss easily beats out Coles as well and yes, Welker, much better then Tim Dwight or Brad Smith, at this point.

Maroney is younger, faster and more of a bruiser. I don't know, I guess its split at this point.

Stallworth has had much more time to prove himself, yet has only shown he has a case of the dropsy's. Hell, even on a solid offense in Philly he only caught 38 balls and had 5 scores.

Cotchery, meanwhile, has NOT merely been a one-year wonder. Even under Herm (who didn't have a clue how good he was) he showed potential, and maximized his potential last season in Schotty's offense. In 5 years, Stallworth has yet to have a 1,000 yard season. Cotchery came just 39 yards short in his 1st season as a starter.

Good post 80. I also dont think, considering the off the field baggage Moss brings with him, I would rather have RMoss over LColes.

Cotch, as 80 mentioned is definately better than Stallworth and B.Smith is better than Welker. Put it this way, WELKER WAS A 3rd WR FOR THE DOLPHINS!!! How good can he be?

As of today, Welker is a better receiver than Brad Smith, who never even practiced the position until after his senior season was over. Smith clearly has more upside (is faster & taller) and is easily more versatile, having been a QB. But there's not a team in the NFL that would surrender a 2nd-round pick to the Jets to acquire Brad Smith (and that's with him locked into a low-paying contract for 3 more seasons, unlike Welker who got a new deal).

Caldwell and Gaffney are better than McCareins, for the most part. The only part of McCareins' game that is better than Caldwell's and Gaffney's is his heigh advantage. They both have better speed and better deep ball ability, and in the hands catagory I say McCareins may have the edge on Caldwell, but not on Gaffney.

I just don't see how the current Randy is better than the current Coles, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Stallworth is a solid wr but not better than Cotch at any point. Cotch is rapidly becoming a #1 right before our eyes. Put it this way, would you trade Cotchery for Stallworth straight up (for 2007 only)? No f'ing way I would, jmo.

Maroney and TJ do not split, TJ is a better RB and a proven leader while Maroney merely showed he can run hard for half a season.

Stallworth is a puss, and an overrated one at that. He's been in the league for awhile now, his career high is 945 yards. Cotcherys been a starter for 1 year, his career high is 961 yards. I'll take Cotchery over Stallworth.

As of today, Welker is a better receiver than Brad Smith, who never even practiced the position until after his senior season was over. Smith clearly has more upside (is faster & taller) and is easily more versatile, having been a QB. But there's not a team in the NFL that would surrender a 2nd-round pick to the Jets to acquire Brad Smith (and that's with him locked into a low-paying contract for 3 more seasons, unlike Welker who got a new deal).

Good point, except that Brad Smith will be the # 4 WR this season, while Welker will likely be the slot receiver.

Would you say Welker is better than Justin McCareins?

Archived