Sign in to follow this  
Matt39

If Giambi returns this year he should return to the bench

OPS? WHo the hell cares geek. The guy cant run. He either hits a HR, K's or walks. Giambi walking is essentially useless because he can only run from base to base. He never drives the ball into the gaps, he is atrocious defensively and add in the fact we havent won jack with him here.

We should have got rid of him with Sheff, we dont need his bat in the lineup.

I agree with what you're saying....and the Yankees are gonna have to decide come playoff time whether they want Melky in CF or Damon. If Melky keeps hitting, he's gotta stay in center.

So Johnny better pick up 1st base real quick (not crazy about that at all after last years Sheff debacle) because Giambi will probably come back and get the DH spot whether we like it or not.

I tell ya what though if Giambi does come back and gets his DH spot, he should hit no higher than 8th. He's not a good enough hitter anymore to hit 3-6 in the order.

Matsui, Abreu, Jeter, Arod, Cano, Damon > Giambi.

Posada, too.

The objective of a hitter is to avoid making outs. Giambi is the 31st best player in the history of baseball at avoiding making out.

Then how come he's been a .250 hitter since 2003?

He is a 1 dimensional pull hitter who clogs up the base paths and cant situational hit. He should bat no higer than 8th when he returns.

Thats why BA is a pretty meaningless stat. OBP is much more important.

There is no such thing as "clogging up the bases" as a negative.

When you are a station to station runner on the basepaths, you're worth little once you get on base unless somebody pops a home run, and we all know counting on home runs in the playoffs never works.

If Giambi gets out 3/4 of the time, he's not worth jack sh#t esp considering he cant even play defense or run on the basepaths.

We dont need Giambi. At least not in the top half of the order where we have better hitters than him.

And this team has hitters like Abreu, Damon and Matsui...who are all still capable of hitting HR's.

Posada, too.

I feel like I've said that before. ;)

Frank Catalanotto is a good hitter, esp vs the sox, and in his career at 1st base he has 560 innings, just 5 errors, a .992 fielding percentage. And he can play the outfield.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3746&context=fielding

The Rangers are rumored to go on a firing sale, so they probably would put Frank on the trade market seeing as how he's not a long term guy at 33 yrs old and just a rotational player for them.

I think what we REALLY need is a legit 8th inning set up man. I would go balls out and get Gagne from the Rangers. We need a lockdown 8th inning guy and Gagne would help a ton.

Excellent point Barton. In the off-season I was hoping the Yanks would get two guys...Ted Lilly and Cattalanato. Both very good players and both Sox killers.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who mentioned the Yanks getting Gagne but my concern is what the Yanks would have to give up to get him. If I'm Texas I'm not talking trade unless Cano is involved. JMO of course.

Gagne is on a 1 yr deal I believe and he's gonna bolt for nothing in free agency so the Rangers dont have the leverage to ask for a Robinson Cano back in a deal, imo. I'd see them getting back a cheap bullpen arm who's young and a decent OFer with upside. Maybe a low level prospect in a throw in as well.

Not sure what I'd offer them, but if I was the Yankees, I pay the remainder of Farnsworths contract to get him off the team.

Bruney is a good arm, as is Proctor. But as of right now, neither are shutdown guys. We need a shutdown guy.

Gagne should be our #1 target over everything else, in my opinion.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company