If Giambi returns this year he should return to the bench

Matt39

And this team has hitters like Abreu, Damon and Matsui...who are all still capable of hitting HR's.

Possibly but I still expect and I think you'd agree that the Yanks will bring in a bat in the next month. Dimitri Young, Texiera, Helton or someone like that.

Remember Cashman per the Daily News, called the WSox after hearing about the Dye for Abreu rumors and tried to make that come to life.

Frank Catalanotto is a good hitter, esp vs the sox, and in his career at 1st base he has 560 innings, just 5 errors, a .992 fielding percentage. And he can play the outfield.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3746&context=fielding

The Rangers are rumored to go on a firing sale, so they probably would put Frank on the trade market seeing as how he's not a long term guy at 33 yrs old and just a rotational player for them.

I think what we REALLY need is a legit 8th inning set up man. I would go balls out and get Gagne from the Rangers. We need a lockdown 8th inning guy and Gagne would help a ton.

Frank Catalanotto is a good hitter, esp vs the sox, and in his career at 1st base he has 560 innings, just 5 errors, a .992 fielding percentage. And he can play the outfield.

The Rangers are rumored to go on a firing sale, so they probably would put Frank on the trade market seeing as how he's not a long term guy at 33 yrs old and just a rotational player for them.

I think what we REALLY need is a legit 8th inning set up man. I would go balls out and get Gagne from the Rangers. We need a lockdown 8th inning guy and Gagne would help a ton.

Excellent point Barton. In the off-season I was hoping the Yanks would get two guys...Ted Lilly and Cattalanato. Both very good players and both Sox killers.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who mentioned the Yanks getting Gagne but my concern is what the Yanks would have to give up to get him. If I'm Texas I'm not talking trade unless Cano is involved. JMO of course.

Excellent point Barton. In the off-season I was hoping the Yanks would get two guys...Ted Lilly and Cattalanato. Both very good players and both Sox killers.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who mentioned the Yanks getting Gagne but my concern is what the Yanks would have to give up to get him. If I'm Texas I'm not talking trade unless Cano is involved. JMO of course.

Gagne is on a 1 yr deal I believe and he's gonna bolt for nothing in free agency so the Rangers dont have the leverage to ask for a Robinson Cano back in a deal, imo. I'd see them getting back a cheap bullpen arm who's young and a decent OFer with upside. Maybe a low level prospect in a throw in as well.

Not sure what I'd offer them, but if I was the Yankees, I pay the remainder of Farnsworths contract to get him off the team.

Bruney is a good arm, as is Proctor. But as of right now, neither are shutdown guys. We need a shutdown guy.

Gagne should be our #1 target over everything else, in my opinion.

Agree on both counts. Cat is a guy the yankees should've signed before the season for depth (they have none) and gagne is a one year commitment that would give them a reason to get farnsworth out of here.

Possibly but I still expect and I think you'd agree that the Yanks will bring in a bat in the next month. Dimitri Young, Texiera, Helton or someone like that.

Remember Cashman per the Daily News, called the WSox after hearing about the Dye for Abreu rumors and tried to make that come to life.

Actually the opposite happened. The white sox wanted that trade and Cashman turned it down. wisely.

Giambi is an infinitely better hitter than Melky Cabrera.

Some of you have gone insane.

Yet for some reason the Yankees are a better team with Giambi out and Melky in. Go figure.

Yet for some reason the Yankees are a better team with Giambi out and Melky in. Go figure.

They're a much better team. The Yankees couldnt give away Giambi right now. He has the worst contract in baseball not named Pavano.

It's called the law of averages. Good hitters will eventually hit. Bobby Abreu wasn't going to hit .220 the entire season.

Do you honestly believe that the only reason Abreu and Cano are hitting is because Giambi isn't there?

It's called the law of averages. Good hitters will eventually hit. Bobby Abreu wasn't going to hit .220 the entire season.

Do you honestly believe that the only reason Abreu and Cano are hitting is because Giambi isn't there?

Where did I say that? I just like the fact that taking a one dimensional player out of the line up has added to what the team can do as a whole. Damons legs are rested which makes him a threat on the bases again and Melky is a defensive upgrade in CF with Cairo (or anyone for that matter) being a better defensive option at first than if they were forced to put Giambi in there. I suppose I just like watching my team play fundamental baseball and win games.

I was happy to see that Torre didn't commit to anything when asked if Giambi would have his job when he returns. He took the old "we'll do whats best at the time approach"

I agree with what you're saying....and the Yankees are gonna have to decide come playoff time whether they want Melky in CF or Damon. If Melky keeps hitting, he's gotta stay in center.

So Johnny better pick up 1st base real quick (not crazy about that at all after last years Sheff debacle) because Giambi will probably come back and get the DH spot whether we like it or not.

I hate when Torre does that. He ****ed up the balance last year when he brought Sheff and Matsui back into the lineup.

Where did I say that? I just like the fact that taking a one dimensional player out of the line up has added to what the team can do as a whole. Damons legs are rested which makes him a threat on the bases again and Melky is a defensive upgrade in CF with Cairo (or anyone for that matter) being a better defensive option at first than if they were forced to put Giambi in there. I suppose I just like watching my team play fundamental baseball and win games.

I was happy to see that Torre didn't commit to anything when asked if Giambi would have his job when he returns. He took the old "we'll do whats best at the time approach"

This is all true. Giambi, when healthy, is a legit power bat. Any team would want that. But without him, the Yankees have a much bettter overall defense, much better base-running, and way more flexibility to play "small ball".

Not a knock on Jason; just the facts. The proof is the way the Yankees have played the 12 games without Giambi.

100% correct. Madmike at it again. Unbelievable.

The Chicago White Sox were reportedly willing to trade Jermaine Dye to the Yankees for Bobby Abreu in a swap of outfielders who can become free agents at the end of the season. However, the Yankees had no interest. …

As per BP. I guess they are unbelievable too.

they do. thats whats so amazing. they don't want giambi clogging up the bases.

As per BP.

That's total bull****. Cashman confirmed that he called the WSox GM after hearing of the proposed deal through the media, and was quickly told that the WSox had no interest. It was on the broadcast when the Yankees were in Chicago. I'm glad your "sources" are so credible :confused:

That's total bull****. Cashman confirmed that he called the WSox GM after hearing of the proposed deal through the media, and was quickly told that the WSox had no interest. It was on the broadcast when the Yankees were in Chicago. I'm glad your "sources" are so credible :confused:

Lets see your source pal. Cashman would never confirm that in print.

Lets see your source pal. Cashman would never confirm that in print.

Abreu rumor Dyes with GM call

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 4:00 AM

CHICAGO - A published report in Chicago indicated the Yankees and White Sox were discussing a Bobby Abreu-for-Jermaine Dye trade, but sources said yesterday that Chicago had no desire to pursue such a deal.

A source with knowledge of the situation said Yankee GM Brian Cashman had followed up the report by placing a call to counterpart Kenny Williams, but Williams expressed no interest in swapping outfielders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/06/05/2007-06-05_abreu_rumor_dyes_with_gm_call.html

Sit down, shut up, and call me your daddy. "Pal".

Abreu rumor Dyes with GM call

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 4:00 AM

CHICAGO - A published report in Chicago indicated the Yankees and White Sox were discussing a Bobby Abreu-for-Jermaine Dye trade, but sources said yesterday that Chicago had no desire to pursue such a deal.

A source with knowledge of the situation said Yankee GM Brian Cashman had followed up the report by placing a call to counterpart Kenny Williams, but Williams expressed no interest in swapping outfielders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/06/05/2007-06-05_abreu_rumor_dyes_with_gm_call.html

Sit down, shut up, and call me your daddy. "Pal".

Sorry. I'm gonna trust Joe Sheheen who broke story after story this past off season more than some article in the Daily News. I doubt the Yankees would be stupid enough to think about doing this trade.

Archived