RW McQuarters released

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears released former Oklahoma State defensive back R.W. McQuarters on Monday.

McQuarters, who signed a $21 million contract extension with the Bears in January 2002 that ran through 2006, was acquired by the Bears in a trade with the San Francisco 49ers in 2000.

In five seasons in Chicago, McQuarters played in 47 of 72 games and had 295 tackles and nine interceptions. Last season, he showed his versatility when he switched from cornerback to safety and returned punts.

During the last two seasons, McQuarters returned 81 punts for 887 yards and two touchdowns.

"After exploring trade opportunities with R.W., we felt it was in everybody's best interest to release him at this time," general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. "We respect and appreciate his accomplishments as a Bear and wish him well."

McQuarters played college football at Oklahoma State from 1995 to 1997 and holds the school's season records with 27 kickoff returns and 645 kickoff return yards.

====================================================

Pick him up TB.

No, Justin Miller could do the job, but it would be nice to add some more depth at CB as well as Special Teams return unit.

There's alot cheaper "depth" out there than McQuarters. He's garbage if you let me tell it. I mean if the Bears cut him, how good can he be really?

I would rather go with our current situation than pick up McQuarters- he is better returner than cornerback.

It really is not a great idea to bring in every single player that other clubs release (sarcasm)

McQuarters played SAFETY last year for Chicago as well.

Yet another reason to go after this guy.

he can't make DA BEARS roster, why would you weant him here? he wouldn't make it out orf camp & would take away time from younger players trying to develop..

he can't make DA BEARS roster, why would you weant him here? he wouldn't make it out orf camp & would take away time from younger players trying to develop..

He was over-paid for and the Bears have a very good young secondary. Have you ever looked at their Safety's and Corner's when healthy?

He was over-paid for and the Bears have a very good young secondary. Have you ever looked at their Safety's and Corner's when healthy?

can't say that I have...all I know is the Bears suck and he couldn't make their roster...we have a young team that needs its share of time in camp...we don't need McQuarters to steal their time..

can't say that I have...all I know is the Bears suck and he couldn't make their roster

Wait, so you've never taken a look at their roster, yet "all you know" is that McQuarters must suck because he was cut? :shock::shock:

Look, the Bears want to go into the season with Tillman and Vasher as their starters, and McQuarters was simply the odd man out. They don't want to be paying him good money to be a nickle corner.

That doesn't mean he couldn't be useful here. As 124 said, he is versatile, with the ability to play up to 4 positions.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really want anything to do with McQuarters, mostly because his price tag will not be cheap and we already have 3 candidates for the job as the nickle corner, as well as a pretty solid group of return men and safeties on the roster.

But don't simply make a rash judgement of him because "Da' Bears" were the ones who released him. Heck, the Cardinals released Pete Kendall last season, and he didn't work out too badly for us, now did he?

Archived