Backpacking (Europe or Latin America)

drago

first off, i hate my job. I'll probably be done this winter and be free to do whatever. I have a friend that would be interested in going to europe or latin america on a back packing adventure. Anyone here done that? I've traveled before, but obviously money would be an issue and i'm wondering about how much it could cost, what we would actually do aside from getting hammered every night.

anyone have any stories that would be worthwhile, i'd like to hear them.

:character0050:

If you haven't been to Europe, I'd recommend it.

Get a rail pass and traveling around is real easy.

Most train stations are very central and there's usually lotsa stuff around them.

Best of all, beer is pronounced the same in almost every country.

:cheers:

first off, i hate my job. I'll probably be done this winter and be free to do whatever. I have a friend that would be interested in going to europe or latin america on a back packing adventure. Anyone here done that? I've traveled before, but obviously money would be an issue and i'm wondering about how much it could cost, what we would actually do aside from getting hammered every night.

anyone have any stories that would be worthwhile, i'd like to hear them.

:character0050:

I would DEFINITELY suggest europe over latin america, it is safer and probably easier for a first time backpacker. I did the europe budget trip a few years ago, in 2 weeks i went from Barcelona to Nice, Florance, Milan, Pisa, Berlin, Munich, and Warsaw. Did it with my then girlfriend, and we had the best time. It was my first trip overseas and reallygave me my love for europe and foreign ravel in general.

As for tips:

Buy Let's Go Europe, it is the budget/backpackers bible. It has the lowdown on all the hostels and cheap places to eat/sleep/shop in every city.

Get a railpass for the length of time you are there

IF you are going to be on the train for 6 or more hours, travel at night, you won't lose a day travelling and you won't have to get a hotel for the night so it is a double bonus. Just make sure you and your budy sleep in watches one at a time so nobody jacks your stuff.

Definitely try to get one italian city, amsterdam, and munich in. In munich i know there was a hostel made out of a converted circus tent. In Amsterdam, the flying pig is maybe the most fun hostel in europe, super cheap, right near the train station and next to the red light district and a bar in the lobby with the cheapest beers in the city. Also the heinekin tour where you can get trashed. Of course there is also the van goh museum and the riksmuseum. Munich is a lot of fun, the beer gardens-the outdoor one in the market in the old city square and the hofbruhouse at night-are fun. Italy has the best food, wine, art, and tail in europe, but is generally pretty expensive and the italians will rip you off so see one city but don't spend most of your time there. Florance is a good choice, they have the ufizi museum and the statue of david.

I would DEFINITELY suggest europe over latin america, it is safer and probably easier for a first time backpacker. I did the europe budget trip a few years ago, in 2 weeks i went from Barcelona to Nice, Florance, Milan, Pisa, Berlin, Munich, and Warsaw. Did it with my then girlfriend, and we had the best time. It was my first trip overseas and reallygave me my love for europe and foreign ravel in general.

As for tips:

Buy Let's Go Europe, it is the budget/backpackers bible. It has the lowdown on all the hostels and cheap places to eat/sleep/shop in every city.

IF you are going to be on the train for 6 or more hours, travel at night, you won't lose a day travelling and you won't have to get a hotel for the night so it is a double bonus. Just make sure you and your budy sleep in watches one at a time so nobody jacks your stuff.

Definitely try to get one italian city, amsterdam, and munich in. In munich i know there was a hostel made out of a converted circus tent. In Amsterdam, the flying pig is maybe the most fun hostel in europe, super cheap, right near the train station and next to the red light district and a bar in the lobby with the cheapest beers in the city. Also the heinekin tour where you can get trashed. Of course there is also the van goh museum and the riksmuseum. Munich is a lot of fun, the beer gardens-the outdoor one in the market in the old city square and the hofbruhouse at night-are fun. Italy has the best food, wine, art, and tail in europe, but is generally pretty expensive and the italians will rip you off so see one city but don't spend most of your time there. Florance is a good choice, they have the ufizi museum and the statue of david.

Excellent advice.

Another thing to note is that the Eurail pass does not include the UK, but does include Southern Ireland (at least it did when I was there) and it included the boat ride from Southern Ireland to Northern France.

Learn some simple foreign phrases, it goes a long way. Speaking German worked better for me in the small towns of Northern Italy than English did.

Munich is beer capital, anywhere. Fun place.

As for tips:

That's awsome. Makes sense about traveling at night, i hadn't thought of that one. i have been to a lot of cities in europe, but it had always been with one of the parentals. I'd really like to get a different feel for the cities, then when i was 17 and with my mom. haha. I'll have to buy one of those books though, probably would save me a ton of cash.

That's awsome. Makes sense about traveling at night, i hadn't thought of that one. i have been to a lot of cities in europe, but it had always been with one of the parentals. I'd really like to get a different feel for the cities, then when i was 17 and with my mom. haha. I'll have to buy one of those books though, probably would save me a ton of cash.

Yeah, you will totally get a different experience going alone or with friends. And doing the budget route with the hostels will be even more different. The nature of hosteling leads to being more social with fellow travelers.

I am very big on reading, and whenever i travel somewhere i do my homework and read multiple books on my destination. Let's Go Europe is THE number 1 out there for budget traveling. Your best bet is to buy it before planning your trip and researching where you want to go. There is even sample itineraries in there to give you ideas on trips to take depending on the length of your trip. You can check out the Let's go site here, and the Europe book here.

Archived