Toddler served margarita in a sippy cup

MrsTaborJet

This has got to be disturbing for anyone who has kids... but gotta say I too got sick after my first margarita and tequila shot. The best part... the restaurant offered them FREE meals! Please! :shutit:

Associated Press Sat Jun 16, 2007

Kim Mayorga was confused when her 2-year-old started making funny faces and pushing away the apple juice he had ordered at Applebee's. The explanation came when she opened the lid of the sippy cup and was hit by the smell of tequila and Triple Sec.

The restaurant staff accidentally gave Julian Mayorga a margarita Monday. He grew drowsy and started vomiting a few hours later and was rushed to the hospital.

"I wasn't going to make a big deal about it," the mother told the Contra Costa Times on Thursday, "but then he got sick."

The apple juice and margarita mix were stored in identical plastic bottles, and the manager mistakenly grabbed the margarita container to pour the boy's drink, said Randy Tei, vice president for Apple Bay East Inc., which owns the franchise restaurant and nine other Applebee's in the San Francisco Bay area.

The Mayorgas will be reimbursed for their medical bills, and Tei said the franchise group's restaurants will no longer serve apple juice and margaritas in similar containers.

"We absolutely believe it was an honest mistake," Tei said.

The serving appeared to have been accidental, Antioch police Lt. Pat Welch said. Mayorga said her son is now doing fine.

She said the company has been very apologetic and offered free meals, but she added, "If they think I'm going back there, they're ridiculous."

Applebees are terrible restaurants. Between the bad service and everything else (at least around tallahassee). I avoid them anyways. Mistakes like this happen I guess. But this doesn't surprise me that it come sfrom an Applebees.

I swear it was unintentional, but this happened to me and Mrs. KH at Applebees:

We were having dinner with my parents there and the 2 kids. Jacob was 3 and Sarah was 6 at the time. My wife and Parents ordered mudslides after dinner, I didnt order ny because I was driving. When we were done, we got up to put our jackets on. In each Mudslide was some left in the bottom of the cups. Jacob who is a chocolate milk fiend was getting out of the booths and we all had our backs turned to him, started drinking the remains of the mudslides. We caught him on the second one. Well, we got him in the car and started to drive away and the kid was passed out before even leaving the parking lot.

I swear it was unintentional, but this happened to me and Mrs. KH at Applebees:

We were having dinner with my parents there and the 2 kids. Jacob was 3 and Sarah was 6 at the time. My wife and Parents ordered mudslides after dinner, I didnt order ny because I was driving. When we were done, we got up to put our jackets on. In each Mudslide was some left in the bottom of the cups. Jacob who is a chocolate milk fiend was getting out of the booths and we all had our backs turned to him, started drinking the remains of the mudslides. We caught him on the second one. Well, we got him in the car and started to drive away and the kid was passed out before even leaving the parking lot.

That's funny... unrelated to Applebees though, I can say I was always stealing sips from my dad's beer cans. Crappy Budweiser, ugh.

The best was the summer events, like boat races at the lake, local summer concerts, street fairs, any place that had a beer truck the kids were always sent to fetch beer for the parents... we loved it, drank it right up and half the cup was gone before it made it to my dad's hand!! ha ha ha.

Ahhh, the 70's. Fun stuff being a kid.

:beer:

HOLY...HAHAHA. This isn't the first time this has happened. It was plastered on the cover of my favorite rag, The New York Post, in January of '06 as well. "I call them my Applebees dreams..." :P

And just like the 1st case, this will get tossed....the one in the Post was found to be a scam.

You can not "accidentally" get a margarita in a kid cup. that would mean the bartender put Tequila, triple sec and sour mix in it...instead of the apple juice....

1 of 3 things happened here:

1) The parents did it, as a scam

2) The drink was made for an employee...on the clock...and got snagged...

3) The parents did it as a scam

Applebees are terrible restaurants. Between the bad service and everything else (at least around tallahassee). I avoid them anyways. Mistakes like this happen I guess. But this doesn't surprise me that it come sfrom an Applebees.

that's funny you say that, my friend was as server there and cannot comprehend why people still visit. all the food tastes the same, and yes, the serving is generally pretty bad.

BTW, when i read that head line, my first reaction was laughing...i need a drink.

And just like the 1st case, this will get tossed....the one in the Post was found to be a scam.

You can not "accidentally" get a margarita in a kid cup. that would mean the bartender put Tequila, triple sec and sour mix in it...instead of the apple juice....

Yeah, but it's still a hilarious, old association as to me and the best bird cage liner on the face of the planet. I think I still have that kid on my computer. Wait...

nypost0106wb1.jpg

HAAAAAAH! It was still there! God Bless The New York Post! :P

Now this thread floated my inner saucy like nobody's business....

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36323&highlight=new+york+post

that's funny you say that, my friend was as server there and cannot comprehend why people still visit. all the food tastes the same, and yes, the serving is generally pretty bad.

BTW, when i read that head line, my first reaction was laughing...i need a drink.

I worked for Applebees for 2 weeks....All the food is precooked(except the steaks)

For instance, if you order the Salmon, it was grilled 1 or 2 days ago and placed in a baggie. And then they nuked it for a few minutes.

I worked for Applebees for 2 weeks....All the food is precooked(except the steaks)

For instance, if you order the Salmon, it was grilled 1 or 2 days ago and placed in a baggie. And then they nuked it for a few minutes.

I never ate at Applebees, just never appealed to me whatsoever. Now, I see that was a smart decision!

But I suppose other chains do this too... what about Friday's and all the others?

:shutit:

I agree. The article said margarita MIX was in a jug that looked like apple juice.

There is no tequilla in margarita mix.

This story is BS.

I never ate at Applebees, just never appealed to me whatsoever. Now, I see that was a smart decision!

But I suppose other chains do this too... what about Friday's and all the others?

:shutit:

Fridays is OK. They do not pre-cook food...

As far as chain restaurants go, your best bet is Outback.

Archived