OG Adrien Clarke

Untouchable

It looks like Kendall is as good as gone and Adrien Clarke will most likely be the player to replace him.

He has great physical tools, roadgrader size (6'5 330), and has reportedly looked very solid while practicing with the 1st team offense.

I would really like to see what this kid can do in live game action.

I'm actually hoping that Kendall gets released/traded soon just to see what Clarke is capable of. Let's face it, Pete is a declining player who is clearly on the downside of his career and is one of the smallest OG's in the league.

We need a big mauler next to Brick and Adrien Clarke seems to fit the bill.

Anyway, there isn't much to talk about right now so I figured I'd start a topic about our possible new starting LG.

Thoughts?

It looks like Kendall is as good as gone and Adrien Clarke will most likely be the player to replace him.

He has great physical tools, roadgrader size (6'5 330), and has reportedly looked very solid while practicing with the 1st team offense.

I would really like to see what this kid can do in live game action.

I'm actually hoping that Kendall gets released/traded soon just to see what Clarke is capable of. Let's face it, Pete is a declining player who is clearly on the downside of his career and is one of the smallest OG's in the league.

We need a big mauler next to Brick and Adrien Clarke seems to fit the bill.

Anyway, there isn't much to talk about right now so I figured I'd start a topic about our possible new starting LG.

Thoughts?

I've got an even better solution: Keep Kendall, and have Clarke battle for the other G spot with Brandon Moore.

The Jets aren't in a position to let Kendall walk. Give him a damn raise and then let him walk next year. Do it behind close doors and don't make it public. The scenario playing out today could have been prevented had Tannenbaum continued to fix a sub-par offensive line in the off-season. Having Kendall as his only option at left guard was his first mistake. His second mistake was not giving Kendall a $1 million to shut the hell up and play left guard.

Although I disagree with Kendall going public, it is in my opinion that Pete Kendall was mistreated, to a certain extent. He played injured and did everything the team asked him to do; playing center, tutoring Mangold and Brick, taking a leadership role, etc.

Asking him to take a pay cut after a challenging season pissed him off, and rightfully so. He restructured for the team and is now asking for an additional $1 million to get him back on pace to his previous salary. I don't think that request is unreasonable, especially considering our lack of depth at guard, but management disagrees.

We're talking about a million bucks here. That's pocket-change in the NFL. That's Matthew FREAKIN' Hatchette money! If that's an unreasonable request for a pay raise, what does a reasonable request look like?

The lack of depth on the offensive line is worrisome and should have been addressed in the off-season. Kendall has all the leverage in the world, and he knows it. He's a good player for the Jets at a position where they have NO other options.

$1 million bucks to protect a $64 million investment in, for what seems like the first time in his career, a healthy Chad Pennington? Where do I sign?

I can promise you this: If Kendall gets cut and some POS rookie/backup/whatever gives up a sack that ends Pennington's career, I'll never live that down. I'll don a Patriots Jersey if that happens and cheerfully root for Tom Brady, I swear to it. This is my worst nightmare, regardless of how I feel about Chad Pennington.

It's probably too late to pay Kendall as the PR damage has been done. But Tannenbaum should have recognized his lack of depth at LG and paid Kendall behind closed doors. Now it's public and a distraction to the team. Tannenbaum mishandled the situation in my opinion, and the end result will put our "franchise" quarterback (I use that term loosely) in danger.

The Jets aren't in a position to let Kendall walk. Give him a damn raise and then let him walk next year. Do it behind close doors and don't make it public. The scenario playing out today could have been prevented had Tannenbaum continued to fix a sub-par offensive line in the off-season. Having Kendall as his only option at left guard was his first mistake. His second mistake was not giving Kendall a $1 million to shut the hell up and play left guard.

Although I disagree with Kendall going public, it is in my opinion that Pete Kendall was mistreated, to a certain extent. He played injured and did everything the team asked him to do; playing center, tutoring Mangold and Brick, taking a leadership role, etc.

Asking him to take a pay cut after a challenging season pissed him off, and rightfully so. He restructured for the team and is now asking for an additional $1 million to get him back on pace to his previous salary. I don't think that request is unreasonable, especially considering our lack of depth at guard, but management disagrees.

We're talking about a million bucks here. That's pocket-change in the NFL. That's Matthew FREAKIN' Hatchette money! If that's an unreasonable request for a pay raise, what does a reasonable request look like?

The lack of depth on the offensive line is worrisome and should have been addressed in the off-season. Kendall has all the leverage in the world, and he knows it. He's a good player for the Jets at a position where they have NO other options.

$1 million bucks to protect a $64 million investment in, for what seems like the first time in his career, a healthy Chad Pennington? Where do I sign?

I can promise you this: If Kendall gets cut and some POS rookie/backup/whatever gives up a sack that ends Pennington's career, I'll never live that down. I'll don a Patriots Jersey if that happens and cheerfully root for Tom Brady, I swear to it. This is my worst nightmare, regardless of how I feel about Chad Pennington.

It's probably too late to pay Kendall as the PR damage has been done. But Tannenbaum should have recognized his lack of depth at LG and paid Kendall behind closed doors. Now it's public and a distraction to the team. Tannenbaum mishandled the situation in my opinion, and the end result will put our "franchise" quarterback (I use that term loosely) in danger.

This is a bit of an over-reaction, wouldn't you have to say? First of all, we do not know if there are negotiations going on or not. Keep your Jets jersey on for now, because I bet there is more to this than meets the eye. Secondly, how do you know that Kendall has "leverage"? Perhaps we are being a little short-sighted to assume that we have "scrubs" waiting on the bench behind Kendall, a guy who is just a couple years younger than our head coach.

I talked with an Eagles blogger about Clarke when he started in Philly for 4 games.

http://www.jetscentral.com/?p=282

02:02AM - Kendall Update; Adrien Clarke Filling In

June 14th, 2007 by Gary Grund

According to the NFL Network’s Adam Schefter, Jets G Pete Kendall will be addressing the New York Media today concerning his displeasure with his current contract situation.

Schefter believes Kendall is going to open up and rip the Jets executives about this contract dispute. Most NFL observers believe Kendall will either be traded or released. So, where does that leave us with our situation at left guard?

In the last couple of weeks, Adrien Clarke has been filling in for Kendall at left guard along with Adrian Jones and Wade Smith. Derek of IgglesBlog.com gave us his opinion on Clarke when he was with the Eagles during the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

Clarke was a decent player for us. One of those seventh-round offensive linemen that Andy Reid loves to load up on in every draft (until this year). His problem was mostly numbers. He’s solid, but the Eagles have brought in a number of really fine young linemen the last few years and he just didn’t quite make the cut.

He also had a back injury last year, which explains why no other teams picked him up during the ‘06 season. All in all, he was a pretty good young player with great size and a couple years of good coaching from a staff that’s been very successful at developing project-type linemen. If he’s 100% healthy, he should be a nice fallback option.

Clarke started 4 games for the Eagles in the 2005 season. He was cut prior to the 2006 season. The Jets signed him to a future contract January 22nd of this year.

He come from a major college program which can not hurt in dealing with major college players. To bank on him stepping in and playing is a little risky to say the least. Some times though you have to give a young player a shot and hope they can rise to the opportunity.

This is a bit of an over-reaction, wouldn't you have to say? First of all, we do not know if there are negotiations going on or not. Keep your Jets jersey on for now, because I bet there is more to this than meets the eye. Secondly, how do you know that Kendall has "leverage"? Perhaps we are being a little short-sighted to assume that we have "scrubs" waiting on the bench behind Kendall, a guy who is just a couple years younger than our head coach.

Realistically, we know who's on the Jets roster and it doesn't look pretty. Relying on a 7th rounder who has 4 games experience is irresponsible to say the least.

And Kendall does have the leverage in this situation: Kendall wants a raise or his release. It's not like the Jets have another Nick Mangold waiting in his wings. They have Adrien Freakin' Clarke:banned:

Kendall claims that Tannenbaum agreed that he was underpaid. Assuming that Kendall isn't a blatant liar, it's tough not to believe him. Tanny should have ponied up the million bucks a month ago and had Kendall in camp on time.

I can promise you this: If Kendall gets cut and some POS rookie/backup/whatever gives up a sack that ends Pennington's career, I'll never live that down.
[/HTML]

What makes you think Kendall won't be the one to give up the sack that ends his career?

I can promise you this: If Kendall gets cut and some POS rookie/backup/whatever gives up a sack that ends Pennington's career, I'll never live that down.
[/html]

What makes you think Kendall won't be the one to give up the sack that ends his career?

It very well could be Kendall who gives up the sack that ends Chad Pennington's career. But Pete has been a very good player in his twelve years in the league. If you'd rather entrust a scrub with four games experience to protect your $64 million quarterback, you obviously don't know your football.

If there is another viable option who can protect our quarterback as well as Kendall, then by all means go ahead and sign him. Unfortunately the market for guards right now is dry.

Kendalll is nothing but an average player who has lasted this long because of technique. He is too small and gets pushed all over the field as players get bigger and faster. I'd rather try Clarke and see how he does.

You're right. He was a first round pick who has lasted twelve years in this league (every year as a starter) because he's too small.

The fact that you're entrusting some scrub with 4 games starting experience says all that I need to know about your knowledge of football.

You're right. He was a first round pick who has lasted twelve years in this league (every year as a starter) because he's too small.

The fact that you're entrusting some scrub with 4 games starting experience says all that I need to know about your knowledge of football.

that's twice you've made mention of "knowing your football", cut the crap, its all opinion. If teams never started "scrub" players with 4 games experience, Drew Brees would have never come into his own the year they drafted Rivers, and tons of other players would have never been given their chance.

The whole 'know your football' is just garbage. If the Jets don't sign Kendall, then they know they have a replacement.

Someone on a different board posted a draft bio of Clarke. It basically stated that he was considered to be the best guard prospect of the '04 draft (ahead of SF's Justin Smiley) IF he could keep his weight in check. Well, apparently, he has. He was once labeled a run-blocking mauler... I'd like to think he's re-assumed that role.

Does anyone seriously think if Kendall was as-good-as-advertised, we would fail to pony up the cash? I always like to digress to the current FO. If they think Kendall's rival is on the roster, and can be retained at a lower cost; then perhaps they would offer Kendall to the league for a fourth-round pick.... (like they did).

(And) Perhaps, if Kendall was as-good-as-advertised, a team in dire need of OG would have traded a fourth round (second-day) pick for his services.

Well we didn't pony up the cash (yet), and nobody else offered a late-pick.

Lets not forget that Mangini comes from the school of thought where OG's are hand-picked off of wrestling mats and decathalon fields; and don't require the amount of money Kendall is currently seeking. Kendall's run-blocking liabilities are obviouslly playing a role in his plans for release.

I think the pass-blocking (that Kendall brings to the table) can be compensated with the addition of Thomas Jones and Darien Barnes... So the essential upgrade we need from our starting LG is run-blocking. Clarke excells as a run-blocker. He is a mauler. He has the size, the speed, the age, and the salary expectations our team is seeking. Clarke might be our long-term answer at LG.

Prepare yourselves.

Someone on a different board posted a draft bio of Clarke. It basically stated that he was considered to be the best guard prospect of the '04 draft (ahead of SF's Justin Smiley) IF he could keep his weight in check. Well, apparently, he has. He was once labeled a run-blocking mauler... I'd like to think he's re-assumed that role.

Does anyone seriously think if Kendall was as-good-as-advertised, we would fail to pony up the cash? I always like to digress to the current FO. If they think Kendall's rival is on the roster, and can be retained at a lower cost; then perhaps they would offer Kendall to the league for a fourth-round pick.... (like they did).

(And) Perhaps, if Kendall was as-good-as-advertised, a team in dire need of OG would have traded a fourth round (second-day) pick for his services.

Well we didn't pony up the cash (yet), and nobody else offered a late-pick.

Lets not forget that Mangini comes from the school of thought where OG's are hand-picked off of wrestling mats and decathalon fields; and don't require the amount of money Kendall is currently seeking. Kendall's run-blocking liabilities are obviouslly playing a role in his plans for release.

I think the pass-blocking (that Kendall brings to the table) can be compensated with the addition of Thomas Jones and Darien Barnes... So the essential upgrade we need from our starting LG is run-blocking. Clarke excells as a run-blocker. He is a mauler. He has the size, the speed, the age, and the salary expectations our team is seeking. Clarke might be our long-term answer at LG.

Prepare yourselves.

:good: IMO, that was spot on. I do hope Clarke can live up to expectiations, we need a one linemen that can push forward.

It's clear that Kendall has not been part of the organization's plans for the future, and it is not smart to be the ones to back down. The best-run franchises need to treat some veterans with tough-love sometimes.

I just don't see where Kendall has all the leverage here. He is a 34-year old guard who is starting to get pushed around, and is not strong enough in the run-blocking department (where we need him most). If Clarke or whomever we have our eyes on to take over the starting job is lousy, THEN there would be reason to let this front office have it.

I just see little reason to believe they don't know what they are doing.

the unspoken thing about having him replace Kendall is he played next to Mangold at Ohio State....if Mangold feels comfortable and feels he can communicate with Clarke next to him then Pete Kendall's gone-I just hope Adrian Clarke has decided that he too can play with injuries-like his old teammate Nick Mangold

It's clear that Kendall has not been part of the organization's plans for the future, and it is not smart to be the ones to back down. The best-run franchises need to treat some veterans with tough-love sometimes.

I just don't see where Kendall has all the leverage here. He is a 34-year old guard who is starting to get pushed around, and is not strong enough in the run-blocking department (where we need him most). If Clarke or whomever we have our eyes on to take over the starting job is lousy, THEN there would be reason to let this front office have it.

I just see little reason to believe they don't know what they are doing.

Just because nobody ponies up a late round pick doesn't mean that Kendall has no leverage. Teams might not offer a pick because they know they'll have to pay the guy and give up the pick. They may also figure that Jets are going to have to cut him. Kendall is the kind of guy that nobody is going to break the bank for, but odds are pretty good that he'd get more money if they cut him. Bad news is that he might be worth more to us than somebody else.

I would hope that Kendall just complains to his wife and agent and keeps it out of the press for now...he'll get his money and we'll get a guy back that we may just end up needing-it behooves the team to not make Kendall's agent an enemy since Revis has the same rep

Does anyone know what we might get in return if we trade him ?

Not much...considering he's 34 and wants a big contract. On top of that, most teams also know that the Jets will probably release him if they can't trade him, so that brings down the value we'd get in return as well.

I think another thing the Jets are doing is signing guys that have the character qualities they're looking for and have won, or at least played in a big game. Mangold won a championship and played in 2 i think at OSU, Vilma played in 2 championships and won one at U Miami, TJones was in the SB last year, Harris played in one of the two National Championship games last year when OSU played Mich. Many of the leaders of this team have at least been in big game, big pressure situations...

The point I'm trying to make is that, while Mangini values character type guys, he also wants guys that know what it takes to win, and Kendall hasn't won a thing in his 12 years in the league...

I think another thing the Jets are doing is signing guys that have the character qualities they're looking for and have won, or at least played in a big game. Mangold won a championship and played in 2 i think at OSU, Vilma played in 2 championships and won one at U Miami, TJones was in the SB last year, Harris played in one of the two National Championship games last year when OSU played Mich. Many of the leaders of this team have at least been in big game, big pressure situations...

The point I'm trying to make is that, while Mangini values character type guys, he also wants guys that know what it takes to win, and Kendall hasn't won a thing in his 12 years in the league...

I think that is a pretty solid philosophy, the only problem is that most of our team leaders haven't won anything either; chad, cotch, coles, leon, barton, brick, robertson...list goes on. I am a fan of taking players from the big programs, they seem to be used to the transition to the NFL.

I think one thing is pretty clear, tangini like the bigger programs (virginia, OSU*2, FSU, Pitt, Michigan...)

Great post. Other than the part about donning a pats jersey of course. I think the FO is picking the wrong player, both on a character standpoint and on a need for our team, to make a point with, especially when we are talking about 1 million dollars which is a relatively small amount and really only what was taken from him before.

Realistically, we know who's on the Jets roster and it doesn't look pretty. Relying on a 7th rounder who has 4 games experience is irresponsible to say the least.

And Kendall does have the leverage in this situation: Kendall wants a raise or his release. It's not like the Jets have another Nick Mangold waiting in his wings. They have Adrien Freakin' Clarke:banned:

Kendall claims that Tannenbaum agreed that he was underpaid. Assuming that Kendall isn't a blatant liar, it's tough not to believe him. Tanny should have ponied up the million bucks a month ago and had Kendall in camp on time.

I like Kendall and I'd like to see him stay for one more year as they either develop someone to take his place or draft or sign a relplacement next year ... BUT ... to say the end is near if the Jets don't keep him is silly. Wade Smith happens to be a solid Guard/Center who started a bunch of games for Miami and he would fill in capably. As far as Clarke goes, I'll let Mangini and his coaching staff decide what his portential is, not us fans with our limited knowledge when it comes to the intricacies of playing Guard in the NFL. 7th round pick means nothing for a lineman. Jason Fergusson was a 7th round pick who started at DT for a number of years. Jason Fabini was a 7th round pick (I know I am wrong on this as he was a 4th round pick ... my bad) who started at OT. Brandon Moore was an undrafted DT when they got him and (even though everyone wants to rip on him) he has started at Guard for the last few years.There have been many guys who were picked late and got their shot a few years down the line. Would it be risky to start Clarke? Yes, but Mangini will not start him unless he deserves it. They also have Adrian Jones who can play Guard in a pinch (because of the flexibilty of position that this coaching staff teaches) and although not great, he is good and has starting experience. The Jets have better depth at O-Line than people give them credit for. They may have a few spots that could be better but depth wise they are fine compared to many teams at that position.

I would not mind them keeping Pete for the year but if this mess is going to get any worse they need to either trade him for a day 2 pick or cut him loose. I agree that he probably is owed the million and that it is a modest raise request compared to most players in this league when assessing their worth, but if the FO is not going to do it, then we can do much worse than to just let him go.

I like Kendall and I'd like to see him stay for one more year as they either develop someone to take his place or draft or sign a relplacement next year ... BUT ... to say the end is near if the Jets don't keep him is silly. Wade Smith happens to be a solid Guard/Center who started a bunch of games for Miami and he would fill in capably. As far as Clarke goes, I'll let Mangini and his coaching staff decide what his portential is, not us fans with our limited knowledge when it comes to the intricacies of playing Guard in the NFL. 7th round pick means nothing for a lineman. Jason Fergusson was a 7th round pick who started at DT for a number of years. Jason Fabini was a 7th round pick who started at OT. Brandon Moore was an undrafted DT when they got him and (even though everyone wants to rip on him) he has started at Guard for the last few years.There have been many guys who were picked late and got their shot a few years down the line. Would it be risky to start Clarke? Yes, but Mangini will not start him unless he deserves it. They also have Adrian Jones who can play Guard in a pinch (because of the flexibilty of position that this coaching staff teaches) and although not great, he is good and has starting experience. The Jets have better depth at O-Line than people give them credit for. They may have a few spots that could be better but depth wise they are fine compared to many teams at that position.

I would not mind them keeping Pete for the year but if this mess is going to get any worse they need to either trade him for a day 2 pick or cut him loose. I agree that he probably is owed the million and that it is a modest raise request compared to most players in this league when assessing their worth, but if the FO is not going to do it, then we can do much worse than to just let him go.

Nice post. Just a few quibbles. Fabini was a 4th round pick. Wade Smith started at T for the Dolphins. ****ty tackles (Smith & Jones) playing guard may be okay, but it's not exactly an optimal situation. If Clarke starts only because they cut Kendall (not because he's better) does that constitute Mangini only starting him if he deserves it?

I agree they may have to cut Kendall, but I doubt I will be happy with the "depth" they brought in if that's the case. This FO has done a good job, but I won't give them a free pass on this one since they didn't really bring in anybody of real value and I think they may have been the ones leaking the Kendall situation when they shopped him during the draft.

Nice post. Just a few quibbles. Fabini was a 4th round pick. Wade Smith started at T for the Dolphins. ****ty tackles (Smith & Jones) playing guard may be okay, but it's not exactly an optimal situation. If Clarke starts only because they cut Kendall (not because he's better) does that constitute Mangini only starting him if he deserves it?

I agree they may have to cut Kendall, but I doubt I will be happy with the "depth" they brought in if that's the case. This FO has done a good job, but I won't give them a free pass on this one since they didn't really bring in anybody of real value and I think they may have been the ones leaking the Kendall situation when they shopped him during the draft.

You're right about Fabini. I don't know what made me say 7th with him. Anyway, my point was that draft position is rarely an obstacle when it comes to O-Lineman and D-Lineman for that matter.

Wade Smith has played all three O-Line positions and is capable. I don't know who you wanted them to sign for depth. The only thing they could have done is upgrade one of the positions (Guard or RT). Not too many starters are going to come in and accept a depth role on the line. Considering they have two vets with decent starting experience to back-up on OL they are doing better than most teams in the league. There also were not a lot of options for them as far bringing people in even as starters on the OL. Marc Colombo? Derrick Dockery and his ridiculous contract? Leonard Davis? Unless they were to have addressed OL in the draft that just passed (which they did in a project sense with Bender)I'm not sure who you expected them to add as depth. Is the line perfect? No, but they did use two first round picks last year on it, and have returned all 5 starters who now have cohesion (unless Kendall walks).

You're right about Fabini. I don't know what made me say 7th with him. Anyway, my point was that draft position is rarely an obstacle when it comes to O-Lineman and D-Lineman for that matter.

Wade Smith has played all three O-Line positions and is capable. I don't know who you wanted them to sign for depth. The only thing they could have done is upgrade one of the positions (Guard or RT). Not too many starters are going to come in and accept a depth role on the line. Considering they have two vets with decent starting experience to back-up on OL they are doing better than most teams in the league. There also were not a lot of options for them as far bringing people in even as starters on the OL. Marc Colombo? Derrick Dockery and his ridiculous contract? Leonard Davis? Unless they were to have addressed OL in the draft that just passed (which they did in a project sense with Bender)I'm not sure who you expected them to add as depth. Is the line perfect? No, but they did use two first round picks last year on it, and have returned all 5 starters who now have cohesion (unless Kendall walks).

FWIW, I was whining big time that we had to add a tackle. Not with a project either. If I knew there would be Kendall trouble I'd have been yelling for an OG too. I don't think any decent OG or OT would have to come into the Jets and worry about being in a "depth role". Moore and Clement are borderline starters at best. I agree about the contracts thrown around this offseason, but now we're under the cap and there's a good chance we are going to be trying to replace a starting guard from a very shallow pool

FWIW, I was whining big time that we had to add a tackle. Not with a project either. If I knew there would be Kendall trouble I'd have been yelling for an OG too. I don't think any decent OG or OT would have to come into the Jets and worry about being in a "depth role". Moore and Clement are borderline starters at best. I agree about the contracts thrown around this offseason, but now we're under the cap and there's a good chance we are going to be trying to replace a starting guard from a very shallow pool

I here what you're saying. I just don't think there was anyone out there for them to bring in that would have made a big impact unless they were willing to overpay big time to someone like Dockery. The cap room now is true but a contract like that would prohibit a lot moving forward.

I don't think they knew Kendall was going to bitch and if they did know they probably didn't really want him back to begin with. They barely kept him around last year. The only reason they did keep him was to help with D'Brick and Mangold. I guess time will tell what happens but I do trust Mangini and Co. to do the right thing for the team. Also, don't forget that some good veterans will most likely be cut before the season due to salary cap reasons and young guys stepping up. They will have options if things do not work out at LG for them with the current cast.

We can point out plenty of 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks that have come into this league as rookies and played exceptionally well. That's fine. But that doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do, especially when you have an above average starter already at the position.

If Adrien Clarke were to come into camp in an open competition against Pete Kendall and win the starting job, then Kudos to him. Please, go ahead and protect my franchise quarterback. You EARNED it.

But this most certainly won't be the case. Pete's in the doghouse, and we all know how that story goes. He's currently practicing with the second team and as any intelligent fan knows, he isn't second-team material on an average-at-best Jets offensive line.

If my quarterback were Brett Favre, I wouldn't be so concerned about starting a kid with 4 games of Pro experience. But we have a China Doll playing quarterback who's out for the year of one stupid mistake is made from a kid with 4 games experience.

Call me insane, but who's more likely to misread his assignment and miss a block that could cost our quarterback his career? A twelve year starter in Pete Kendall or Adrien Clarke with 4 games experience?

Mangini's M.O. has been that he's prefers smart players over meat-heads who can't tell their ass from their elbow. Kendall's a smart player who rarely makes a mistake.

We can point out plenty of 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks that have come into this league as rookies and played exceptionally well. That's fine. But that doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do, especially when you have an above average starter already at the position.

If Adrien Clarke were to come into camp in an open competition against Pete Kendall and win the starting job, then Kudos to him. Please, go ahead and protect my franchise quarterback. You EARNED it.

But this most certainly won't be the case. Pete's in the doghouse, and we all know how that story goes. He's currently practicing with the second team and as any intelligent fan knows, he isn't second-team material on an average-at-best Jets offensive line.

If my quarterback were Brett Favre, I wouldn't be so concerned about starting a kid with 4 games of Pro experience. But we have a China Doll playing quarterback who's out for the year of one stupid mistake is made from a kid with 4 games experience.

Call me insane, but who's more likely to misread his assignment and miss a block that could cost our quarterback his career? A twelve year starter in Pete Kendall or Adrien Clarke with 4 games experience?

Mangini's M.O. has been that he's prefers smart players over meat-heads who can't tell their ass from their elbow. Kendall's a smart player who rarely makes a mistake.

Kendall has lost a step. He is a liability in the run game! His pass blocking is decent but he gets pushed back towards the QB way too often. He is a team captain that has failed to obey team rules. he has talked to the media inspiute of a team gag order. He must be gone!

Kendall may not miss an assignment, but a heavy blitz would blow him away at this point in the career. Besides, it's not the Guard's job to protect a QB's blindside.

Archived